Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

59 minutes in tied and entertaining.  

It really is... weird, TNT started the game again at 10pm, then I looked on the guide and it was a Blackhawks game. Been watching on the chromebook which is just fine. Here we go....

This time the rebuild really looks like it is working to me.  Thompson is vastly improved.  Dahlin’s critics better get out the ketchup because if they’re not ready to eat their words yet, they will be soon.  He’s 21 and jumps off the screen.  

There are still issues but most things are looking up.  Skinner’s contract is still an albatross.  He seems to be trying to play more of a team game but he really isn’t good.

• Agree 1

Love what’s going on with the Sabres right now…lots of buy-in and a group who seem to play for each other.  Think of the influx of young talent coming in next year as well.  They just need to fix the goaltending problem (I like Anderson but he ain’t the solution) to become a contender.

It has become more and more obvious to me this season that Eichel was (and is) a cancer.  Wouldn’t surprise me one bit that a large part of the Sabres’ “disagreement” over the surgery was intentional, to get him out of the organization.

Brighter days ahead!

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, eball said:

It has become more and more obvious to me this season that Eichel was (and is) a cancer.  Wouldn’t surprise me one bit that a large part of the Sabres’ “disagreement” over the surgery was intentional, to get him out of the organization.

I'm just waiting for the comments to come out of Vegas that Eichel changed the culture of the Golden Knights, for the worse...

1 hour ago, eball said:

Love what’s going on with the Sabres right now…lots of buy-in and a group who seem to play for each other.  Think of the influx of young talent coming in next year as well.  They just need to fix the goaltending problem (I like Anderson but he ain’t the solution) to become a contender.

Brighter days ahead!

Yep, Andreson is a great guy to have around these kids and is a gamer, not to mention his winning record but his save percentage tells why they need to think about another veteran to team with 6K next season.

Edited by Beast

20 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

It won't end until we find a legitimate starting goalie. 

I think we have our future starting goaltender in the organization already. 

Devon Levi has been incredible in college this season. Like, one of the best college seasons for a goalie ever. He’s tied for #2 all time. Jim Howard is #1.

Erik Portillo has actually had a really great season too.

I’m hoping the Sabres sign one, or both, as soon as their college seasons are over. They’re probably at least a couple/few years from being NHL starters but I’m pretty confident at least one will be. I feel stronger about Levi than I did about Cal Peterson.

They’ll still need a veteran for next season. I’m assuming UPL will be one of the goalies but I hope they bring in a starting caliber goalie to compete with him, or to be the outright starter.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

This time the rebuild really looks like it is working to me.  Thompson is vastly improved.  Dahlin’s critics better get out the ketchup because if they’re not ready to eat their words yet, they will be soon.  He’s 21 and jumps off the screen.  

There are still issues but most things are looking up.  Skinner’s contract is still an albatross.  He seems to be trying to play more of a team game but he really isn’t good.

Skinner's contract might be the worst in hockey.  At least hes registering on the score sheet again.  

Only one more year of Okposo's contract and one more year of Cody Hodgson dead cap! But 5 more years of Skinner at $9 million...

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Skinner's contract might be the worst in hockey.  At least hes registering on the score sheet again.  

Only one more year of Okposo's contract and one more year of Cody Hodgson dead cap! But 5 more years of Skinner at $9 million...

Skinners is really an outlier considering how well the Sabres have done in this area for the last 10-15 years……😂

58 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I think we have our future starting goaltender in the organization already. 

Devon Levi has been incredible in college this season. Like, one of the best college seasons for a goalie ever. He’s tied for #2 all time. Jim Howard is #1.

Erik Portillo has actually had a really great season too.

I’m hoping the Sabres sign one, or both, as soon as their college seasons are over. They’re probably at least a couple/few years from being NHL starters but I’m pretty confident at least one will be. I feel stronger about Levi than I did about Cal Peterson.

They’ll still need a veteran for next season. I’m assuming UPL will be one of the goalies but I hope they bring in a starting caliber goalie to compete with him, or to be the outright starter.

I'd like one or both to just go straight to the Sabres.  The argument is you can ruin them by playing them too early, but I've heard the same argument for QBs and Josh became a stud despite practically starting as a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Tuch and Krebs>>>Eichel

Tage>>>ROR

I’ve softened my ROR criticism since it became evident that his issues were probably with Eichel.  I do like Tage though.  He has surprised me this year.

25 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Okposo is clearly a leader and a professional presence so there is some value there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’ve softened my ROR criticism since it became evident that his issues were probably with Eichel.  I do like Tage though.  He has surprised me this year.

Okposo is clearly a leader and a professional presence so there is some value there.

Okposo is playing well this year and I like his presence.  Just not at $6 million a year.  Skinner is playing much harder too but $9 million a year is just sickening.  I never want to see him on the ice for 3 on 3 again.

what an entitled douche.

Criag Rivet was there with the Jr. Sabres (a bunch of 9yr old kids) and after the game he took them down to see Jack Eichel. Eichel walked out from behind the curtain, saw all the kids & parents, rolled his eyes, went right back behind the curtain and never came back out. He didn’t sign a single autograph.

Kyle Okposo ended up coming out and signing autographs for 20+ minutes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'd like one or both to just go straight to the Sabres.  The argument is you can ruin them by playing them too early, but I've heard the same argument for QBs and Josh became a stud despite practically starting as a rookie.

Devon Levi will be signed and get a game or two with the Sabres this year. He can't go to Rochester for their playoffs because he wasn't on the roster last Monday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

what an entitled douche.

Criag Rivet was there with the Jr. Sabres (a bunch of 9yr old kids) and after the game he took them down to see Jack Eichel. Eichel walked out from behind the curtain, saw all the kids & parents, rolled his eyes, went right back behind the curtain and never came back out. He didn’t sign a single autograph.

Cripes... he must be one miserable sob to do that to kids who were applauding him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

what an entitled douche.

If true, and I would expect Rivet wouldn't be lying, that's pathetic.  But not surprising.  I soured on Jackie a couple years after he joined the Sabres.  

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Devon Levi will be signed and get a game or two with the Sabres this year. He can't go to Rochester for their playoffs because he wasn't on the roster last Monday.

That would be great to see.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

what an entitled douche.

I clicked the audio button before I scrolled down and saw this was about the Jr. Sabres.  It starts: “Out walks Jack Eichel……these kids erupt”.  Lol I thought it was about the trade and subsequent play of the Sabres young guys.  I was confused for a second as he continued to talk.

• Haha (+1) 1

I was as low as possible with this franchise over the summer and didn’t expect anything from this season. It’s been such a pleasant surprise to be excited and interested in The Sabres again. I’m looking forward to next season for the first time in a long time.

People tiptoed around the Eichel issue for years. The fact all the confirming stories are pouring in now isn’t particularly surprising. The guy dragged this team down with his ***** attitude. The trade is looking very lopsided for Buffalo from my viewpoint.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If true, and I would expect Rivet wouldn't be lying, that's pathetic.  But not surprising.  I soured on Jackie a couple years after he joined the Sabres.  

That would be great to see.

Okposo, but No Eichel in the photo makes me think he’s telling the truth.
Like you said, I don’t expect he’d be lying about this.

It also sounds like it’s just one of many not so flattering Jack Eichel stories.

on a somewhat similar subject, I don’t think Eichel has been made available to the media once since his post-game interview in Buffalo. Wonder why… 😂

They weren’t going to make him available after that Buffalo game either but I guess Mike Harrington was pretty vocal and Eichel ended up coming out.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Straight to Sabres is a mistake, these kids need to develop in Rochester first.

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Straight to Sabres is a mistake, these kids need to develop in Rochester first.

All the same, I'd Iike to see Levi on the Sabres for a few games like PTR said.

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

I think the times are starting to change in those regards.

I tend to think you are right, the NHL is slowly following the pace of the NFL. Rookies used to sit for a year or two, unless an extraordinary player, but now 1st and 2nd rounders... even 3rds... are going in right away. Of course rookies in the NHL come from farm clubs but I see the trend as well.

Looking forward to the game in a half an hour.

• Agree 1

Glad I decided to watch this one... RJ And Harry Neale, plus, this intermission is a riot. Don't think I even had pubes when RJ started calling the games in 71.

20 minutes ago, T&C said:

Ah well, we got a point... like it matters. I hate the dingy looking jerseys/sweaters, never really heard why we are wearing them nor have I looked it up.

That second guy in the shootout who walked in…..Tokarski should have conceded the goal, skated out and punched him right in the face,  Bush league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

That second guy in the shootout who walked in…..Tokarski should have conceded the goal, skated out and punched him right in the face,  Bush league.

Yep. I can’t stand shootout attempts like that. To me, stuff like that should be considered a violation of the forward momentum rule. Same with the ones where a guy skates in real wide then stick handles at a crawl sideways in front of the net. I know it’s a legal attempt within the rules but I definitely think it pushes the boundaries.

I kind of wish they’d put a time limit on shootout attempts or something.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yep. I can’t stand shootout attempts like that. To me, stuff like that should be considered a violation of the forward momentum rule. Same with the ones where a guy skates in real wide then stick handles at a crawl sideways in front of the net. I know it’s a legal attempt within the rules but I definitely think it pushes the boundaries.

I kind of wish they’d put a time limit on shootout attempts or something.

That rediculous inching towards the goal should be banned.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bob in Mich said:

I hate that super slow crap too but if a Sabre did it and scored it would look a lot better

A simple shot clock could work.  How many seconds is appropriate?

Forget the clock.

Just cut a defenseman loose behind the shooter about 2 seconds after he crosses the center line.

Dangling leads to strangling.......

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Simon said:

Forget the clock.

Just cut a defenseman loose behind the shooter about 2 seconds after he crosses the center line.

Dangling leads to strangling.......

That’s an interesting idea but not gonna happen, eh?  It would make the shootout more like the game though. I have understood instituting the shootout and it can show off some amazing individual skills but it certainly isn’t all that much like the game itself

Anyone else watching the college hockey tourney?  Been some very entertaining games.  Michigan has a couple of Sabre prospects to help the interest level too

Hopping between the college and pro hockey games on TV I found myself yelling at the Sabres to ‘hit that guy’.  I know there is a playoff intensity that is not in the pro game but damn, I sure wish we followed through on our checks a whole lot more often

Edited by Bob in Mich

Looking forward to the matinee game at 5, the weather is so freaking perfect I'm going to watch it out back on a chromebook with a fire going... and beer. Wish these game actually meant something in the standings besides progress.