Beth Mowins to call Bills-Texans

My only issue with Beth, and a lot of other announcers, is they don't bring a whole lot extra to the game. There isn't a ton of, "I watched some film and saw this from the defense, let's see if they can slow down the pass game with it." or whatever else, ala Romo. Granted Romo is top tier, so that's a high bar, but it would be nice if more announcers could do that. Beth and most announcers are just, this happened, that happened, good play, some excitement, but not much in depth stuff. That's probably good for a lot of fans, but for people with more knowledge of the game, they aren't adding a lot to the broadcast.

At least she isn't either of the Sunday night guys. They are both ***** terrible. Al Michaels is like a ***** old Madden, half his comments are super vague and 2 minutes late. Collinsworth is just a knob slobber with almost no objectify. Everything is great or grand for one guy and he makes excuses for everything. He is terrible. 

The state of NFL announcing is pretty blah. 

Edited by elroy16

16 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I thought CTV had somehow screwed up their simulcast.

Do they still sneak the 'passive commercials' into the Canadian network feeds?  Global used to sneak a Canadian logo into the U.S. feed, so the viewer actually thought 'Pizza Pizza' had banner advertising at the game site.  That is, until you thought it through. 🤔😁

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Posters have provided solid, concrete examples today backing up their opinion

So far in this thread, I haven't seen any solid, concrete examples of how she was bad. On the positive side, however, I've seen people point out that her play-by-play was accurate, she did her homework, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

How is she worse than any of the others that call games? They all use the same cliches and generally say nothing

Exactly. These crews do college football and NFL if not other sports as well. 

For the money that is made by the NFL, they really should have NFL only announcers that bring more to the table. Otherwise we get decent play by play, some basic info (College, former teams, etc) and not much else. 

Just now, elroy16 said:

Exactly. These crews do college football and NFL if not other sports as well. 

For the money that is made by the NFL, they really should have NFL only announcers that bring more to the table. Otherwise we get decent play by play, some basic info (College, former teams, etc) and not much else. 

with all the info regarding the game on the screen....score, time, down and distance...plus replay, do we really need people telling us what is happening? I don't need someone to tell me that this call is close....I can see that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, elroy16 said:

My only issue with Beth, and a lot of other announcers, is they don't bring a whole lot extra to the game. There isn't a ton of, "I watched some film and saw this from the defense, let's see if they can slow down the pass game with it." or whatever else, ala Romo. Granted Romo is top tier, so that's a high bar, but it would be nice if more announcers could do that. Beth and most announcers are just, this happened, that happened, good play, some excitement, but not much in depth stuff. That's probably good for a lot of fans, but for people with more knowledge of the game, they aren't adding a lot to the broadcast.

Beth does play-by-play, Romo is an analyst. They have different roles.

All I want from the play-by-play announcer is accuracy: call the right player's name, give a little description of the action, etc. Beth handled that well enough, as anyone with a background in broadcasting and a knowledge of football should be able to do. The in-depth analysis comes from the analyst - someone who played or coached, and knows the nuances that most of us don't know. Tiki Barber is no Tony Romo in that regard, but he wasn't terrible either.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

So far in this thread, I haven't seen any solid, concrete examples of how she was bad. On the positive side, however, I've seen people point out that her play-by-play was accurate, she did her homework, etc.

It was in another thread which the poster saw.

I don't get how this is divisive. Beth's position is narrative, she states what is happening and then the player she is paired with chimes in with actual insight. If you don't like Beth's voice, that is valid - there are plenty of announcers whose voices I don't enjoy. If you do like Beth's voice, happy for you, you probably enjoyed her contributions to the telecast yesterday. Arguing about personal preference seems like a waste of time. 

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

It was in another thread which the poster saw.

Well, since you didn't provide a link to the thread in question or give any concrete examples, I used the handy-dandy search function.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/search/?q=beth mowens&quick=1

I still see no concrete examples of HOW she is bad other than, "Her voice is grating."

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Well, since you didn't provide a link to the thread in question or give any concrete examples, I used the handy-dandy search function.

I still see no concrete examples of HOW she is bad other than, "Her voice is grating."

Glad you enjoy her😆

46 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Glad you enjoy her😆

I think of play-by-play announcers like offensive linemen: if they're doing their jobs well, you don't notice them. In that respect, I wouldn't say I "enjoy" her; I'm more or less indifferent to her. She does the job as well as your average announcer who's not on a network's A-team. And frankly, I find her preferable to Joe Buck, and he IS on Fox's A-team.

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Beth was good.  Knew what was happening on the field and could competently describe it.  Voice sounded dramatic or excited at appropriate times. 

I don't get all the negativity.  

Having seen her 2 years ago, I'm not a big fan of her voice but she loved to voice in inappropriate drama and excitement that I hated.  She did far better yesterday and has improved.  From a technical standpoint, she definitely is a little above average for me as a play-by-play. 

Edited by GaryPinC
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Beth was good.  Knew what was happening on the field and could competently describe it.  Voice sounded dramatic or excited at appropriate times. 

It's not that she lacks the knowledge, it's her horrific voice...

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, WhoTom said:

The number #1 thing for a play by play person on either TV or Radio is voice.  They are going to be talking throughout most of the game and if that person has a terrible voice or their “voice is grating” - they will sound bad.  After the voice comes content - can they cover what is happening and do they process the plays and provide appropriate feedback.

Reading through the thread - the vast majority of people seem to agree - she knows her stuff, but her voice is like listening to fingernails on a chalk board - therefore the majority do not like her.  I have heard very few say that she can’t do the “job” - there are a lot of people saying she shouldn’t do the job because she basically ruins a broadcast.

There are many other announcers that have a smoother voice and sound good, but don’t provide the content or are hard to listen to because they make mistakes everywhere.  Beth does not fall into this group of bad announcers at all as far as I am concerned.

I think there is something about her voice that just really bothers some people and therefore for those people she is a terrible listen.  My son was sitting there and this is his first time hearing her and without prompting was like “Dad - you need to mute this that voice is horrible”.  He didn’t know anything about her - he didn’t even know it was a women until a bit into the game, but the voice was so bad we had to mute it so he could watch it.

It is no different than Maddy Glab and Chris Brown on One Bills Live.  I personally don’t like to listen to Chris Brown at all - there is something about the inflection of voice and the way he goes from normal tone to practically screaming that makes him a hard listen, but Maddy doesn’t bother me much at all.

For others Maddy’s voice is just terrible and they can’t listen to her at all.

So I guess for me - I hope this is the last time we ever have Beth Mowers call a game - her voice to me is a total disaster and as that is the primary means of her job - to me she is an absolute failure at it.  I would 100% prefer to listen to a smooth voiced person that doesn’t know anything - because I do not rely on them to provide content - I can see what is happening- they are just part of the background noise.  We actually enjoy making fun of those announcers that are bad and it makes the experience funnier - as opposed to this weekend where we had to mute the majority of the broadcast because her voice was annoying and therefore lose the background ambiance.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Exactly.  People here cream their Underoos over Gus Johnson's "EVERYTHING IS JUST INCREDIBLE DID YOU JUST SEE THAT i CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!' shtick...

Also, the Glabb comparisons are way off base.  

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly.  People here cream their Underoos over Gus Johnson's "EVERYTHING IS JUST INCREDIBLE DID YOU JUST SEE THAT i CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!' shtick...

Also, the Glabb comparisons are way off base.  

I hate Gus.  He’s terrible now.  He used to be good at his job.

Imo, Beth and Maddy are both terrible at their job.  It’s like asking a 5’7 120lb man to play center in the NBA.  Physically, they don’t have the skill set to do the job.  Knowing HOW to do the job doesn’t matter when you aren’t physically equipped to do the job properly.  You aren’t doing the job properly when a fairly large contingent of listeners thinks your voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard.  Not everyone heads thing the same way.

Sorry Beth.  Sorry Maddy.  Maybe they should take up smoking, it may change their voice inflection.  They both need a lot of help with their voice according to my ears. 

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hate Gus.  He’s terrible now.  He used to be good at his job.

Imo, Beth and Maddy are both terrible at their job.  It’s like asking a 5’7 120lb man to play center in the NBA.  Physically, they don’t have the skill set to do the job.  Knowing HOW to do the job doesn’t matter when you aren’t physically equipped to do the job properly.  You aren’t doing the job properly when a fairly large contingent of listeners thinks your voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard.  Not everyone heads thing the same way.

Sorry Beth.  Sorry Maddy.  Maybe they should take up smoking, it may change their voice inflection.  They both need a lot of help with their voice according to my ears. 

I don't find Beth's voice nearly as difficult as Glabb's juvenile intonation.  Plus Mowans knows her stuff.  Glabb is completely weightless...a vacuum.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't find Beth's voice nearly as difficult as Glabb's juvenile intonation.  Plus Mowans knows her stuff.  Glabb is completely weightless...a vacuum.

To each their own, but there are plenty that think disagree and think that Mowins’ voice is 👎🏻

Agreed on Glabb.  With the teams emphasis on Bills social media/YouTube/podcasts nowadays, one  would think that she’ll be fired after this season, but it seems like Kim is a fan.  🤮 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

See I totally am the other way- to me Beth’s voice is just terrible and I can’t listen at all.  It physically bothers me listening to that voice.

Maddy’s voice is different and doesn’t bother me at all.  It is not a smooth voice, but it does not bother me.

I also find that she knows sports in general and to me asks better questions than Chris Brown.  She really just needs to get her confidence up.

I totally can understand how one person can go one way and someone hears something different - that is fine - we just need to be accepting that we each bring our own feelings and background into this.

What we all should agree on as Bills fans though is that Chris Collinsworth is a friggin Patriots Ball Washer - whether you like his voice or not - he is 100% biased in his reporting.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

See I totally am the other way- to me Beth’s voice is just terrible and I can’t listen at all.  It physically bothers me listening to that voice.

Maddy’s voice is different and doesn’t bother me at all.  It is not a smooth voice, but it does not bother me.

I also find that she knows sports in general and to me asks better questions than Chris Brown.  She really just needs to get her confidence up.

I totally can understand how one person can go one way and someone hears something different - that is fine - we just need to be accepting that we each bring our own feelings and background into this.

What we all should agree on as Bills fans though is that Chris Collinsworth is a friggin Patriots Ball Washer - whether you like his voice or not - he is 100% biased in his reporting.

Glabb simply reads her preprinted questions then repeats and seconds all of the comments made by others in agreement.   Any other group of fans listening to this flagship Bills broadcast would ask why this person is on the radio, or is this bring your kid to work day. 

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't find Beth's voice nearly as difficult as Glabb's juvenile intonation.  Plus Mowans knows her stuff.  Glabb is completely weightless..a vacuum.

So you're saying she sucks?

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

lol, I definitely don’t think smoking would help Beth’s voice.

I do not understand those who bash her- she is not the best but I only like listening to Romo because I learn something. She is in the 80% of announcers who are interchangeable because they know enough but are not special. On the low end is the Dan Fouts of the world who don't know much about who they are covering.