"Buy stock in A.J. Epenesa" - says Daniel Jeremiah

Estro

What is it with you guys? The WFT scored one TD on a 73rd screen play, another because of a special teams blunder, and another in garbage time. We didn’t get sacks, but we got two picks and a forced fumble/recovery. This defense is doing everything it needs to do. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

He looked mortal today. Not bad, but he didn’t resemble the same player we saw last week.

And he lost contain on the QB scramble for the touchdown. My instinct was they put him out there a little less after that. Would be interested to see the numbers because I felt like we got more Addison in the 2nd half. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And he lost contain on the QB scramble for the touchdown. My instinct was they put him out there a little less after that. Would be interested to see the numbers because I felt like we got more Addison in the 2nd half. 

My casual observation is that he seems to be better when he is at RDE than LDE, which is where he was on that TD.  The only time I keyed on him he nearly got a sack (from the RDE position) after being double-teamed.  Last, FWIW, WFT's O-line has given up 1 sack in each game so far.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, TPS said:

My casual observation is that he seems to be better when he is at RDE than LDE, which is where he was on that TD.  The only time I keyed on him he nearly got a sack (from the RDE position) after being double-teamed.  Last, FWIW, WFT's O-line has given up 1 sack in each game so far.

Interesting on the RDE v LDE point. You are right he was at LDE when he crashed inside and lost contain. 

The Bills Dline as a whole had a ton of pressure yesterday. They only got one sack recorded, but they were in there around the Quarterback a lot. Not worried about them at all. I did feel like they used AJE more sparingly 2nd half though and we got more Addison maintaining the integrity of the pocket and trying to pin Heineke in

5 hours ago, Big C said:

What is it with you guys? The WFT scored one TD on a 73rd screen play, another because of a special teams blunder, and another in garbage time. We didn’t get sacks, but we got two picks and a forced fumble/recovery. This defense is doing everything it needs to do. 

Youre 100% right. It was a total beat down. But every single person on the defense will tell you that there’s room for improvement. It’s ok to enjoy a dominating win and still point out flaws

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Big C said:

I think this is a valid discussion point from the game.  The Bills DL didn’t have much impact against the Steelers, and dominated against Miami.  Against a strong Washington OL, the individual numbers and splash plays from out DL did not appear to be there.  So it made a lot of fans wonder whether the DL was really good or if they just feasted on a weaker Miami OL

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Mcdermott's obsession with Hughes, will continue to hold back Epenesa.  Really a shame.

Hughes looks awful too, which makes it even worse.

I like Jerry but from what I have seen he has been average at best, I think at his age he is better off taking a reduced role. I like what I have seen from Addison and the young guys can go. Let Jerry take less snaps and hopefully be more effective in certain situations.

Everyone should re-watch this game and count how many times Heinecke was forced off his spot in the pocket. I’m sure he had a clean pocket here and there, but I don’t recall many at all. The idea that sacks are the ultimate measuring stick for a D line’s success or not in a game is myopic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Everyone should re-watch this game and count how many times Heinecke was forced off his spot in the pocket. I’m sure he had a clean pocket here and there, but I don’t recall many at all. The idea that sacks are the ultimate measuring stick for a D line’s success or not in a game is myopic.

Yeah too many stat sheet checkers around here who apparently don’t pay attention in the live games.  Our DL constantly made Heinieke uncomfortable and we dominated this game.  

The only reason they scored when the game was relevant was because of one screen and one ST mistake.  Outside of that, our defense had their way with them and forced turnovers off the pressure they got on him too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah too many stat sheet checkers around here who apparently don’t pay attention in the live games.  Our DL constantly made Heinieke uncomfortable and we dominated this game.  

The only reason they scored when the game was relevant was because of one screen and one ST mistake.  Outside of that, our defense had their way with them and forced turnovers off the pressure they got on him too.

I also tip my hat to Heinecke who made some athletic plays to get out of trouble. I like him; he’s a gamer who can move when he has to. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, K-9 said:

While it's true that you can get great pressure without sacks..............against Patrick Mahomes and Tom Brady they will need to actually be able to get close enough to hit the QB on passing plays.    

Presumably they are one or both of the stumbling blocks to winning the SB this season.........and that's how you beat them.  

That's just common sense at this point......anyone arguing otherwise is a dope.  

The only additions they made to the defense were to address that deficiency............so trying to undersell the value of actually taking down the QB at this point is more than a bit off-key.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ

29 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I also tip my hat to Heinecke who made some athletic plays to get out of trouble. I like him; he’s a gamer who can move when he has to. 

Agreed, he’s very athletic in that way and it’s best part of his game.  He doesn’t have ideal arm strength, but the kid has some potential.  

Plus, I heard from Nick Wright he is even better than Josh Allen 🤣

Edited by Alphadawg7

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

While it's true that you can get great pressure without sacks..............against Patrick Mahomes and Tom Brady they will need to actually be able to get close enough to hit the QB on passing plays.    

Presumably they are one or both of the stumbling blocks to winning the SB this season.........and that's how you beat them.  

That's just common sense at this point......anyone arguing otherwise is a dope.  

The only additions they made to the defense were to address that deficiency............so trying to undersell the value of actually taking down the QB at this point is more than a bit off-key.  

The rest of your completely irrelevant and typical bloviation aside, the only people underselling any aspect of D line play are those whose only measurement of effective D line play is the number of sacks they get in a game. As if forcing a QB off his mark, into hurries, incompletions or interceptions just doesn't matter somehow without them. Such a laughable misunderstanding of the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Loved Rousseau's game today that's exactly what the DEs were doing and he was very disciplined and did some good things keeping Hienekie contained at times, when he thought he could get outside the pocket instead he had to be a lot more shifty in the pocket.  Which he was but it led to some bad throws and the INTs

It seemed to be a game plan designed to beat the Ravens.  I know it really frustrated Lamar Jackson.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Overall, I thought the defense played well. I was hoping we would get to the QB a bit more than we did, more like previous weeks. I'm not a stat hound looking only for sacks, and Heinecke was forced to move around a lot, which is good. That said, McDermott seems to agree...

10 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Overall, I thought the defense played well. I was hoping we would get to the QB a bit more than we did, more like previous weeks. I'm not a stat hound looking only for sacks, and Heinecke was forced to move around a lot, which is good. That said, McDermott seems to agree...

Like the ancient saying goes, it's a shame we can't just play Miami every week

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Well we had some missed sack attempts too, something they need to fix as well 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well we had some missed sack attempts too, something they need to fix as well 

Heinicke is just a tough guy to sack, very good at feeling pressure and escaping away from it. He's only been sacked twice in 3 games in 2021 so far, against LAC, NYG and BUF. The WFT OL is very solid and not the set of turnstiles that we played against in MIA. This, coupled with his escape ability and his tendency to throw pretty quickly, always meant this was going to be a tough assignment for our DL. Never thought this was going to be a high sack game for our defense.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

McDermott knows in order to win the super bowl, you’re gonna need more pressure than that...

DL mostly got stonewalled in this one, it was surprising. Heinicke is a nice little scrambler but it was mostly to buy EVEN MORE time on plays where he had plenty. You didn't really see guys winning matchups and getting to him quickly. Still optimistic, just didn't really show up this week

On 9/27/2021 at 11:12 AM, K-9 said:

The rest of your completely irrelevant and typical bloviation aside, the only people underselling any aspect of D line play are those whose only measurement of effective D line play is the number of sacks they get in a game. As if forcing a QB off his mark, into hurries, incompletions or interceptions just doesn't matter somehow without them. Such a laughable misunderstanding of the game. 

Well apparently McDermott says they should have done better too.

I know you were a secretary at OBD 40 years ago and you picked up Ben Williams dry cleaning a couple times............but when the normally evasive Bills HC makes a point to criticize DL play then you can bet that he expects more from a DL full of highly paid and highly drafted players.    

They aren't a bunch of overachievers..........they basically spent almost ALL of their improvement chips on the DL this offseason.........it's fair to expect consistent pressure at home with a raucous crowd behind them.

Now bring me a coffee and hold my calls.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… wasn’t all that impressed by the pass rush on Sunday…. I thought Heinicke had time to throw throughout the day and basically scrambled himself into pressure. 

So your saying the D had nothing to do with his noticeable lack of success? All game long, I’ll give you the “one play” 👍

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… wasn’t all that impressed by the pass rush on Sunday…. I thought Heinicke had time to throw throughout the day and basically scrambled himself into pressure. 

Yeah.........at home........incredibly loud crowd behind them..........facing a journeyman on his 6th(?) team making his first career road start..........you gotta' be able to get to that guy.

It doesn't get much easier opposing-QB-wise than a 3 game stretch facing Has Ben, Brissett and Heinicke...........and yet the only consistent pass rush they've got was a game that the DC threw an absolute barrage of blitzes out there.