Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

46 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Edmunds is a very polarizing figure on these boards. He’s made the Pro Bowl 2 out his 3 years in the league but yet a lot of you say he’s terrible and want to run him out of town. I don’t get it. I hope we do offer him a contract 

I would need to understand exactly what his role is in the defense before judging him.   I am thinking the front 6 is more of a gap integrity, manage your gap and then go to the ball type of approach,  rather than keep the LBs clean so they can make all the tackles.   I might be wrong.   Has any one actually studied how McD plays defense?   It's not a "star maker" defense, it's kind of a 1/11th "control your gap/play zone behind it" approach to it isn't it?   

• Like (+1) 2

He will be worth every penny if he learns how to cover Kelce. He needs to be working on his man-to-man tight end covering skills every day so he’s prepared for that test. He’s the only one with the size, speed, and strength on the defense that can cover tight tends. I hope he’s up for it cause if he isn’t, then no one is and we will have to double cover Kelce again. 

I know some here might think Milano can cover Kelce, but Milano doesn’t have the size to man up against him. Milanos strength in coverage lies in following the backs outta the back field. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

He will be worth every penny if he learns how to cover Kelce. He needs to be working on his man-to-man tight end covering skills every day so he’s prepared for that test. He’s the only one with the size, speed, and strength on the defense that can cover tight tends. I hope he’s up for it cause if he isn’t, then no one is and we will have to double cover Kelce again. 

I know some here might think Milano can cover Kelce, but Milano doesn’t have the size to man up against him. Milanos strength in coverage lies in following the backs outta the back field. 

It looks to me like they are using more safety coverage on the TE this year and using Edmunds more in an underneath drop into areas around the slot - getting into passing areas.  I saw a lot more of Poyer and Hyde picking up TEs than last years.

It is not a great matchup, but Ithink they are looking at different ways to attack a TE heavy team - like Baltimore and KC.

6 hours ago, Billy Zabka said:

I think it's time, watching him play his 4th season, that we have to finally admit that Tremaine Edmunds is simply not a very good MLB.  This is a glamour position in a McD defense and he rarely makes any plays.  On top of that he struggles to even make routine plays.  Sure he racks up tackle numbers and a bogus pro Bowl nod last year hugging guys down 8 yards downfield as a 3 down LB in the middle of this D, but that's about it.  He grades out poor in coverage, misses tackles, struggles to get off blocks and is indecisive out there.  Edmunds was probably the only weak link out there on D today and was outplayed by journeyman AJ Klein when he left the game with cramps.  I wanted to give him time realizing that he was so young and learning a new position but 4 years is enough.  The Bills who will be cap strapped next year should not have picked up his 12.7 million option because he doesn't warrant the salary, the trade up for the pick and option pick up will go down as a rare Beane whiff imo.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it an Edmunds turnaround happening.

What would you offer him once he becomes a free agent,  because teams get excited by his size but like you stated he rarely makes big plays.

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

Edmunds is a very polarizing figure on these boards. He’s made the Pro Bowl 2 out his 3 years in the league but yet a lot of you say he’s terrible and want to run him out of town. I don’t get it. I hope we do offer him a contract 

It's the dreadlocks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The CLASSIC  Paul Pozluzny Gambit. 

Fans want Butkus or Urlacher or Lewis, but the reality of the position is very different. Tremaine Edmunds is an excellent MLB. He didn’t stand out to us, because most of us aren’t paying attention to him filling running lanes, and forcing backs to the outside, unblocked defender. Sometimes they break out, and those “hugging players 8 yards downfield” is a 6’4” 250lb man, chasing down a RB. That’s impressive. 

If they don’t extend him, the defense will suffer, like it did when they replaced Poz, with Marcus Buggs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Billy Zabka said:

I.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it an Edmunds turnaround happening.

It is pretty damning if we are discussing this in his fourth year in the league. He was picked pretty high, he should have been impactful in year 3 , latest. 

I was very much against picking up his option and wanted to see how he performed this season. I think he has the size needed, lacks smarts and instincts. I don't know the cap implications, but he should be traded at the end of this season. I will be glad to be proven wrong if he suddenly starts playing well. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Billy Zabka said:

I think it's time, watching him play his 4th season, that we have to finally admit that Tremaine Edmunds is simply not a very good MLB.  This is a glamour position in a McD defense and he rarely makes any plays.  On top of that he struggles to even make routine plays.  Sure he racks up tackle numbers and a bogus pro Bowl nod last year hugging guys down 8 yards downfield as a 3 down LB in the middle of this D, but that's about it.  He grades out poor in coverage, misses tackles, struggles to get off blocks and is indecisive out there.  Edmunds was probably the only weak link out there on D today and was outplayed by journeyman AJ Klein when he left the game with cramps.  I wanted to give him time realizing that he was so young and learning a new position but 4 years is enough.  The Bills who will be cap strapped next year should not have picked up his 12.7 million option because he doesn't warrant the salary, the trade up for the pick and option pick up will go down as a rare Beane whiff imo.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it an Edmunds turnaround happening.

He was invisible in the second half.  I didn’t see him make any plays. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Edmunds is no Brian Urlacher but he's fine. That's what he is - fine. No imminent need for replacement but you keep your eye on things, like if you're in a solid relationship but you can't help but wonder about that girl in the red dress at the other end at the bar. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

True but could you imagine this defense if we had just stayed put in the draft and taken Darius Leonard instead of Tremaine?  Wld be elite.

Coulda woulda shoulda.....ANYONE could build a team like that!!  The option pick up was the right move at the right time.  Edmunds does precisely what Frazier is asking him to do.  All the fanboys out there want the second coming of Dick Butkus.  Not gonna happen.

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

GREAT post!  Thanks for this as it is dead nuts on.

Fanboys bullies on here have to have someone as a scapegoat after a 35-0 thrashing and sadly it is Edmunds this week.  Honestly do some of you even watch the game?  Understand it?  I really doubt it reading these "comments"

Go BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.