Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

8 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Very rare to see someone so disliked. Especially after a dominating defensive shutout. What’s not rare? How many coaches we have on here trying their best to nitpick his game apart. He’s on the team, get over it and support the guy. 

What you think we don't want him to play well? but you have to call it out he should be playing better

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Non

Oh, please.

This defense is playing extremely well, and he's part of it.

In seasons when he's not injured, he has graded out very well in coverage.

He does make a good scapegoat, though. Maybe next you could complain about Star or Oliver. They're the other two that people desperate to attack somebody generally target.

He's still got some things to prove, but you're way off.

Ok Mrs Edmund

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Edmunds is a very polarizing figure on these boards. He’s made the Pro Bowl 2 out his 3 years in the league but yet a lot of you say he’s terrible and want to run him out of town. I don’t get it. I hope we do offer him a contract 

I dont think you can assess his play by saying he made the pro bowl.   That honor means nothing anymore.  If you say All-Pro, thats a different story.   Tremaine is polarizing, because half of the board thinks he is a great player and the other half thinks he is a bum.  The reality is somewhere in between.   He is a little above average, but he doesnt make enough plays for me to consider him the long term expensive option at MLB. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont think you can assess his play by saying he made the pro bowl.   That honor means nothing anymore.  If you say All-Pro, thats a different story.   Tremaine is polarizing, because half of the board thinks he is a great player and the other half thinks he is a bum.  The reality is somewhere in between.   He is a little above average, but he doesnt make enough plays for me to consider him the long term expensive option at MLB. 

Making the Pro Bowl 2 out of your first 3 years doesn’t mean everything, but it certainly means something. I’d say above average is a fair assessment of him. He’s still only 23 years old

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He was invisible in the second half.  I didn’t see him make any plays. 

I hope this is a joke, considering they were letting him rest after cramping in the 100 degree weather and a several touchdown lead against a weak offense.

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Guy had one tackle yesterday.😂

Hes invisible…. Paying him a gigantic contract would be ridiculous…. And if they do I guarantee it will be McD that pushes for it. He loves the guy for some reason. 

The thing about being good in coverage is the backup QB tends not to target you for you to get tackles...

Also he sat the second half with heat cramps while we had a big lead.

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He was out of the game for much of the 2nd half with cramps.  Must be terrible with the Bills allowing an average of 234 yards a game of offense.

And yet, while he was out for most of the second half, there was no appreciable drop off in the defensive performance.

He is not a difference maker. 12-13 million for a JAG is pretty pricey. I get it from a roster situation going into next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Right decision to pick up the option.  They had to find out if he could play and he may still yet play better this year.  I think it's unlikely and they can move on from him at the end of the season.  Someone will pick him up in free agency and they won't be on the hook for his full guaranteed salary.  I'm pretty sure there is offset language even for 5th year options.  

This is what I’m thinking.  You give him time to show his potential.  If he doesn’t, then don’t re-sign him to a big contract 

9 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Some guys are just good football players, and some guys are not.  Edmunds does not have the right body type to play MLB.  He is just too long.  He can't get any leverage to make tackles. 

Lmao…2 pro bowls in 3 years leading his team in tackles says otherwise.

Edited by Alphadawg7

10 hours ago, Billy Zabka said:

I think it's time, watching him play his 4th season, that we have to finally admit that Tremaine Edmunds is simply not a very good MLB.  This is a glamour position in a McD defense and he rarely makes any plays.  On top of that he struggles to even make routine plays.  Sure he racks up tackle numbers and a bogus pro Bowl nod last year hugging guys down 8 yards downfield as a 3 down LB in the middle of this D, but that's about it.  He grades out poor in coverage, misses tackles, struggles to get off blocks and is indecisive out there.  Edmunds was probably the only weak link out there on D today and was outplayed by journeyman AJ Klein when he left the game with cramps.  I wanted to give him time realizing that he was so young and learning a new position but 4 years is enough.  The Bills who will be cap strapped next year should not have picked up his 12.7 million option because he doesn't warrant the salary, the trade up for the pick and option pick up will go down as a rare Beane whiff imo.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it an Edmunds turnaround happening.

Geezus, is this thread for real?

LMAO…only on TSW will we shutout a team 35-0 and people come on here to throw the captain of the defense, who left the game early, under the bus.

NEWSFLASH:  Our defense has been one of the best, if not the best unit in football through the first 2 weeks of the season.

How about addressing a real problem and start threads on the ineptness of our OL so far.  

Clearly someone saw a play they thought Edmunds should have done differently in their mind and suddenly they think he sucks.  There are even people in here quoting his stats yesterday off a stat sheet not knowing he left the game because they didn’t even watch him play.  Just showing how little people even know what they are talking about here.

Terrible thread.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They have changed the rules and the 5th  year option salary is now guaranteed when it is exercised…

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-guide-to-fifth-year-options-for-every-nfl-teams-first-round-pick-from-2018/

I know but I still think offset language applies. Meaning if he is guaranteed for 12M and he is cut and signs for 8M somewhere else the Bills are only on the hook for the 4M difference. 

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

Making the Pro Bowl 2 out of your first 3 years doesn’t mean everything, but it certainly means something. I’d say above average is a fair assessment of him. He’s still only 23 years old

There is not a poster on this board that thinks he deserved to make the ProBowl last year.  Like I posted before the season started I'm evaluating him with a clean slate. 

Its highly unlikely they move on from him. Let's be honest the opportunity cost of replacing him is far too great when they have bigger issues to address next offseason on the OL and defensive backfield. 

I would like nothing more than for Edmunds to be a dominant MLB for another 5-8 years. I hope he earns an extension. 

40 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

And yet, while he was out for most of the second half, there was no appreciable drop off in the defensive performance.

He is not a difference maker. 12-13 million for a JAG is pretty pricey. I get it from a roster situation going into next year.

He's a replaceable player.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MJS said:

He played well today until he went in to get hydrated. And I'm sure he would have gone back in if the score wasn't so lopsided.

Edmunds is a good player. He just isn't traditional, hard-hitting type of linebacker that fans are used to seeing. He is a coverage linebacker. He's long, fast, and athletic.

Yes, he isn't an All-Pro caliber linebacker, but that's fine. Not all your prayers can be that.

He definitely isn't a traditional MLB. He's good at his strength which is covering TE's. But as much as we all want him to succeed,  he'll never be great or elite. He's kinda your Chris Kelsay of LB's. His flaws are obvious to even his supporters but he is a tackle machine. I'd just like a few more TFL's mixed in. The option was the right call but I highly doubt he gets a big contract from us down the road. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Guy had one tackle yesterday.😂

Hes invisible…. Paying him a gigantic contract would be ridiculous…. And if they do I guarantee it will be McD that pushes for it. He loves the guy for some reason. 

I think McD is a little bit delusional if he thinks he can somehow turn Edmunds into Keuckly. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Most NFL talent evaluators would disagree with your assessment. Therefore I will take their opinion over yours.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.