DeSantis For President in 2024?

47 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He does communicate well, actually. But not in a bloviating, hateful manner that the GOP loves 

Yes. Redhawk has told us that BY ALL ACCOUNTS he is more eloquent now than he was as a younger man. I personally have not seen even one account stating such but am happy to take your word for it along with that of redhawk. 

23 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

You've never been to idaho? it's beautiful. Especially the Coeur D"alene area. A gem to few people know about. Had an amazing weekend there

Sawtooth's are absolutely amazing, The Snake River is one of the best rivers in the Rocky Mountain West. Too many Californians are moving in and ruining Idaho!

10 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

hahaha cute fictional story

What he’s leaving out is all of the high income earners flocking to NYC and parts of NJ. There’s no available housing anywhere in Jersey City or NYC.

Its a myth they’ve been telling since the Chris Christie administration. 

47 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Yes I have, I really liked San Diego. I also really liked the mountains near Tahoe. LA was kinda drab. I would never live in California but it is definetely better than Florida

The geography is what makes CA so much better than most states. Perhaps the #1 among some really great states. The politics and culture have ruined it in so many ways, particularly the major CA metros. Northern CA, while it doesn't bring what a metro brings, is still pretty awesome.

Water has been and will increasingly be the greatest issue and challenge for the southern rocky mountain west, including southern CA. Most of the reservoirs in CA were built in the 40, 50s and 60s. Water management has been signigicantly mismanaged, given the population growth (not only in CA but upstream through Nevada, Utah, Arizona and Colorado).

Edited by Pokebball

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I actually agree. 

He has to go at Trump, by name, aggressively.  

Worry about winning back his supporters after the primary.  

So ... to be serious for a bit. Here's the case I see (as a guy who has voted for Republicans in Presidential elections) for DeSantis. A little free political consultant advice (and I predict he WILL do this before too long, after firing his current campaign leaders).

- he's young. Trump is old, Biden is older. So accentuate that. Have him doing active things. Not riding a golf cart. Doing whatever it is he does. He played baseball, right? Get him out there with kids playing baseball or something. He's lost weight. He'd look remarkably young and fit compared to his ancient competitors. Whatever. Not Twitter audio only. That actually negates his strengths. It didn't work for technical reasons, but it was a stupid thing to do anyway because it doesn't play to his strengths.

- his wife is attractive, media savvy. The kids are cute. Play the old JFK card. Your family humanizes you (since you are often ridiculed as a kind of Republican Al Gore, too robotic to make personal connections). Relaunch the campaign with the family onstage. Don't use them to troll (that horrible ad with the kid building a wall out of blocks), use them to humanize. Your kids aren't Hunter and Don Jr. getting sloppy seconds with Gavin Newsom's monstrous ex. They are ... likable. 

- that whole trolling Disney, scooping up migrants in someone else's state and moving them north at Florida expense ... yeah, that's reacting to Trump, trying to outflank him on the outrageous meter. You will never win a fight with Trump by trying to be more outrageous than him. You have a success story to tell with Florida. All that stuff may be fun, but it detracts from telling your story. Stick to it. 

- Play up the military background. Trump likes to act like a tough guy. We know he didn't serve. You did. Admirably. As a JAG officer assigned to some very sensitive national security work. You wouldn't be so cavalier with our nation's security. Play that up. Always and everywhere. You are also smart. There's a weird anti-intellectualism in the Republican Party now, or at least you've been convinced that there is. I'm guessing most people would prefer that the President be smart. Trump is a marketing genius, but he's not smart. Biden has always been ... challenged, and now he's really old. Don't dumb things down. Play to your strengths.

So far DeSantis is all reaction, no action. Put Trump on the defensive. Give me a reason to vote FOR you, not just against Trump. Don't be the NFL coach who's so worried about game planning to negate your opponent's strength that you forget to focus on your own strengths.

You're welcome, Ronnie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Sawtooth's are absolutely amazing, The Snake River is one of the best rivers in the Rocky Mountain West. Too many Californians are moving in and ruining Idaho!

My only issue with Idaho is i scraped my damn rv on a concrete barrier! But that was more of a me problem. I literally got the call yesterday that i can finally go down to carolina and pick it up from repairs. And I forgot to mentin the Shoshone falls...holy cow thats a cool place

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So ... to be serious for a bit. Here's the case I see (as a guy who has voted for Republicans in Presidential elections) for DeSantis. A little free political consultant advice (and I predict he WILL do this before too long, after firing his current campaign leaders).

- he's young. Trump is old, Biden is older. So accentuate that. Have him doing active things. Not riding a golf cart. Doing whatever it is he does. He played baseball, right? Get him out there with kids playing baseball or something. He's lost weight. He'd look remarkably young and fit compared to his ancient competitors. Whatever. Not Twitter audio only. That actually negates his strengths. It didn't work for technical reasons, but it was a stupid thing to do anyway because it doesn't play to his strengths.

- his wife is attractive, media savvy. The kids are cute. Play the old JFK card. Your family humanizes you (since you are often ridiculed as a kind of Republican Al Gore, too robotic to make personal connections). Relaunch the campaign with the family onstage. Don't use them to troll (that horrible ad with the kid building a wall out of blocks), use them to humanize. Your kids aren't Hunter and Don Jr. getting sloppy seconds with Gavin Newsom's monstrous ex. They are ... likable. 

- that whole trolling Disney, scooping up migrants in someone else's state and moving them north at Florida expense ... yeah, that's reacting to Trump, trying to outflank him on the outrageous meter. You will never win a fight with Trump by trying to be more outrageous than him. You have a success story to tell with Florida. All that stuff may be fun, but it detracts from telling your story. Stick to it. 

- Play up the military background. Trump likes to act like a tough guy. We know he didn't serve. You did. Admirably. As a JAG officer assigned to some very sensitive national security work. You wouldn't be so cavalier with our nation's security. Play that up. Always and everywhere. You are also smart. There's a weird anti-intellectualism in the Republican Party now, or at least you've been convinced that there is. I'm guessing most people would prefer that the President be smart. Trump is a marketing genius, but he's not smart. Biden has always been ... challenged, and now he's really old. Don't dumb things down. Play to your strengths.

So far DeSantis is all reaction, no action. Put Trump on the defensive. Give me a reason to vote FOR you, not just against Trump. Don't be the NFL coach who's so worried about game planning to negate your opponent's strength that you forget to focus on your own strengths.

You're welcome, Ronnie.

Agree with some of this, but he has been all action on Covid.. and to the extent he wasn’t, he’s actually showed remorse. 

I read somewhere that RDS needs to better story-tell his policies.   People are very easily transported back to the pandemic times, where we look back and realize how wrong and messed up so many policies were .. he needs to take people back to that time, where he was one of the true heroes of many across political lines. 

Im torn on the Disney stuff.  I personally like it.  Does it resonate?  I don’t know. For all the attacks on RDS from Trump and the Left, it’s Disney losing money and subscribers at record pace.   However, he likely has better culture wars to spotlight .. ie gender ideology in schools, which polls very well in the suburbs where he should clean up against Trump. 

Im just honestly not sure how wins over the white working class in the primary.   That’s a massive part of Trumps unbreakable 25-30% base.  They seem to be emotionally attached to Trump and I’m not sure how RDS can break that bond.  

Edited by SCBills

23 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You're welcome, Ronnie.

Its May 25, 2023.  We are 8 months from the first primary.  

We political wonks greatly underestimate how little everyone gives a ***t about this stuff especially right now - Memorial Day Weekend.  

Who the hell watched everything last night that doesn’t already know who they’re voting for in 2024?

You yourself has just stated all the positives and achievements DeSantis has - Presidential ready on day 1.  Competent and successful.  

Yet you’re going to vote for Joe Biden.  The whole country is on fire, except for the very satisfied people of the state he governs.  The 3rd largest in America.  Yet you’ll vote for Biden.  

DeSantis and his team know exactly what they’re doing.   

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yet you’re going to vote for Joe Biden.

Don't be so sure. I was a "hold my nose and vote for Biden" guy in 2020, so there's no enthusiasm there.

I would never, ever vote for Trump. The whole January 6 ploy - not just the raid on the Capitol, but the whole cynical ploy to essentially ignore the certified electoral college votes and throw things back to the states - was indefensible. It was dangerous, it came close to working (Mike Pence saved us?), and it would have forever destroyed the American tradition of the peaceful, orderly transfer of power. I have no idea what would have happened if it had worked, but it could certainly have resulted in a real fracturing of the United States. This is not something to play with. It is something I honor.

DeSantis would have to tack hard to the center in a general election to win my trust. Before he got started on the whole trolling the libs thing, my impression of him was generally favorable. Trump is in his head now, and he's got to get back to the guy he used to be.

24 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Its May 25, 2023.  We are 8 months from the first primary.  

We political wonks greatly underestimate how little everyone gives a ***t about this stuff especially right now - Memorial Day Weekend.  

Who the hell watched everything last night that doesn’t already know who they’re voting for in 2024?

You yourself has just stated all the positives and achievements DeSantis has - Presidential ready on day 1.  Competent and successful.  

Yet you’re going to vote for Joe Biden.  The whole country is on fire, except for the very satisfied people of the state he governs.  The 3rd largest in America.  Yet you’ll vote for Biden.  

DeSantis and his team know exactly what they’re doing.   

It’s on fire? Just like how BLM burned down Minneapolis I guess. 

oh wait. 

2 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

northerners (retirees) move to Florida because they are old and tired of shoveling snow

idk if the rest of your stuff is even accurate. People are leaving California for Idaho? I feel bad for those people

SUNY, you’re clearly an outdoors type. Yes, once again, California’s NATURAL areas are beautiful but that has nothing to do with the man-made environments which are crumbling and utterly filthy. It’s amazing how much it’s gone downhill since I moved away from WNY for grad school. And having just been to Florida a few months ago, there’s no comparison…at least in the man-made areas that I was in around the Orlando metro area. 

15 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Thats like someone visiting San Francisco for a week though and saying wow "California's governor is kick ass. look at how nice the Golden Gate Bridge is"

--

Orlando is because of Disney ($$$$) and the Florida governor is literally damaging that money bearing goose

How has DeSantis damaged the ability of Disney to make money? You might want to discuss with Billsy because he told me that the new deal would cause my taxes to go up but they have not moved at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

He is not damaging Disney's ability to make money, they are doing great. Moving jobs to California I heard.

He is damaging his state's ability to capitalize on Disney's financial strengths and opportunities 

Disney was going to save 500 mil in tax breaks moving the division to Florida. They also have more than 17 billion dollars in planned investments over the next decade. If they start keep moving stuff that costs themselves more money and the stock price Kees dipping those in charge will be fired 

1 hour ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Thats like someone visiting San Francisco for a week though and saying "wow California's governor is kick ass. look at how nice the Golden Gate Bridge is"

--

Orlando is because of Disney ($$$$) and the Florida governor is literally damaging that money bearing goose

anyway drive through anywhere in North Florida (dodging bullets) and you will know about crumbling and filthy infrastructure

You sound like someone that has never been to Florida. 

It’s one of the largest states in the country, yet also one of the safest.  

2022 Florida crime rates

“Violent crime held steady year over year at 3.8 incidents per 1,000 people, putting Florida below the national violent crime rate of 4.0 per 1,000. But the Sunshine State did one better when it comes to property crime—reporting 17.7 incidents per 1,000 versus 19.6 nationwide.”

https://www.thecentersquare.com/florida/article_9f88a892-bc5a-11ed-932d-6f0daa825750.amp.html

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, SUNY_amherst said:

He is not damaging Disney's ability to make money, they are doing great. Moving jobs to California I heard.

He is damaging his state's ability to capitalize on Disney's financial strengths and opportunities 

What jobs are moving to California due to DeSantis? I am sure you are not referring to the Disney+ jobs that were supposed to be for the expansion and some people are now being laid off 

15 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

safest? okay now thats funny

-Below the national average in violent crime. 

-Well below the national average in property crime. 

-Only one city in the Top 25 of homicide rates … that is Jacksonville at 23. 

What would you call that?

40 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

aren't you a teacher? you can read right? figure it out for yourself WTF

Got it, you make stupid comments, and when I ask you to explain it you want me to figure it out myself. I have figured it out, you either lie or repeat the dumbest thing possible and feel justified because you think DeSantis is bad. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

In other states, debate is welcomed 

Yes, I have welcomed you to show me your point of view and you always state that you are incapable of debate. You are welcome to debate in Florida, we went for Obama twice, but you have to have something with a modicum of intelligence to interject.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

How has DeSantis damaged the ability of Disney to make money? You might want to discuss with Billsy because he told me that the new deal would cause my taxes to go up but they have not moved at all. 

4 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

answer… Disney is a mess which is why they brought Iger back in 2020 and canned Chapek. Iger is undoing everything set in motion by his predecessor, and if he can pin it on a political spat along the way, even better. 

Democrats crying about a Republican governor working to revoke their corporate tax benefits and government subsidies need to look in the mirror and remember their party talks about opposing these. 

• Like (+1) 2

DeSantis Signs Law That Strips Illegal Aliens of Their Drivers Licenses;

Leftwing #Resistance Media Shrieks That Minorities Are Terrified of DeSantis.

Oh, and by the way: If you say “other politicians betrayed us.” No, wrong. Not like this. Other politicians offered you lip service with no action backing it up, mere words, mere promises that were immediately detectable as insincere when uttered.

Rudy Giuliani, for example, almost immediately revealed himself as a pawn of the open borders corporate conspiracy when he said he would not build a wall, but instead would create a “virtual wall” of drones and electronic monitoring.

Even the lip service offered by the open borders corporate conspirators has to be extracted from them under duress, because they so hated to even have to offer the Racist Promise of cracking down on illegal immigration.

Name one politician who offered this much actual legislative and executive power action — acts, not words — and then “betrayed” people by then suddenly reversing himself and doing the exact opposite when elevated to a new office.

You can’t. No such examples exist. In all of human history, there are zero examples of this crazy scenario unfolding.

And for good reason — because this is literally an insane thing to do, and people who keep insisting that this is a likely outcome are talking up insane nonsense as a cope.

Screwing over your voting base only makes any sense if there is some larger base with which you can replace the one you’re abandoning. Given all of what DeSantis has done on pronouns, on banning CRT and gender theory in public schools, on ending DEI majors at Florida universities, at busing illegals to blue cities, on cancelling illegal’s drivers licenses — what liberal/moderate base could DeSantis possibly appeal to after he executes his Long Con and “betrays” the right?

What does “betraying” conservatives actually get DeSantis?

DeSantis has burned every bridge with the media and the NeverTrump/neocon contingent. They’re now praising Trump in order to attack DeSantis.

https://acecomments.mu.nu/?post=404608

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

answer… Disney is a mess which is why they brought Iger back in 2020 and canned Chapek. Iger is undoing everything set in motion by his predecessor, and if he can pin it on a political spat along the way, even better. 

Democrats crying about a Republican governor working to revoke their corporate tax benefits and government subsidies need to look in the mirror and remember their party talks about opposing these. 

First paragraph is spot on, the second I will add in I suspect that the legislature wanted to end the Reedy Creek zone for at least a decade, at this point it only benefits Disney. They did not touch it because fighting with Disney used to be kinda the third rail of Florida but Disney decided it was gonna lie about politicians so the politicians decided it was time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

First paragraph is spot on, the second I will add in I suspect that the legislature wanted to end the Reedy Creek zone for at least a decade, at this point it only benefits Disney. They did not touch it because fighting with Disney used to be kinda the third rail of Florida but Disney decided it was gonna lie about politicians so the politicians decided it was time.

Much like all the corporations pandering to the left nationally it’s all a game 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

I just had this argument with my colleague today.  I told him that the RCA benefited Disney otherwise they would have ditched it a long time ago.  And apparently Ron has raised over $8M since his campaign launch.  So much for it being unsuccessful...

• Like (+1) 2

Seeing clips of DeSantis from various appearances today..

VERY different approach.  

Going directly at Trump.   In every line of attack, he compliments the DJT the base fell in love with on a topic, but points out how Trump’s no longer that guy.   Then goes further by saying that he’ll finish what Trump said he would. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s all very online stuff, but if anyone knows who Christina Pushaw is … I guess they were waiting until DeSantis made it official .. she ratio’ing Trump influencer accounts nonstop. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Got it, you make stupid comments, and when I ask you to explain it you want me to figure it out myself. I have figured it out, you either lie or repeat the dumbest thing possible and feel justified because you think DeSantis is bad. 

It appears that SUNY is swimming in Billstime waters to me. No one to take seriously.

• Agree 1

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-05-25/flight-of-affluent-taxpayers-catches-up-with-new-york?sref=htOHjx5Y

tl;dr 

Federal tax revenues up about 15% in the last couple years. NY State tax revenues down 17%

People do vote with their feet.

(Not sure if this belongs here or in one of the NYS threads, but there was some discussion here about New Yorkers leaving for Florida ...)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/disney-defying-desantis-mouse-house-to-reportedly-double-down-on-florida-with-17b-investment/ar-AA1bPEzr?ocid=HPCDHP

This might simply be a case of a semi literate writer but the headline is extremely misleading. It insinuates that Disney is defying DeSantis by investing in Florida which is what he wants.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BillStime said:

DeSaster - why should we be forced to live like this?

If this is DeSantis fault - 2 rival groups (gangs) shooting at each other - but no ARs.  The things DeSantis is selectively responsible for - and not responsible for in your world is truly stunning.   

So now it’s permitless carry.  Mmmm k.  

So how’s that working out in Los Angeles or Chicago?  

But it’s awesome to see you cower.  Very few Trump posts from you these days.  Your rhetoric went from “he’ll never be the nominee” to now “he’ll never be president.”

Yep.  The fear is real. 

And I’ve been here in the greater Orlando area for 5 days now.  

It is like these people were…..never locked down.  The people are amazing.  The culture and respect for each other and the law - I truly believe is the result of a state that did not lock them up.  There is a happiness here you don’t see anywhere else outside of pockets around the country.   

DeSantis is a reflection of good people.  He serves these good people by protecting their interests and respecting their freedoms. 

He’s inevitable.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1