Another week, another mass murder

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

So what are the majority of AR15 used for then? If not self defense and hunting then what are they used for by the 99.9999%? I personally know several people who have used AR15 style guns to hunt smaller animals, I will admit I do not know anyone who has used one in self defense but I know they will if needed. You insinuated I am ignorant, please tell me how 

They've never even seen an AR let alone ever fired one. 

I guarantee you if they did they would never call for them to be banned again.  

They'd be buying them.  

FTA:

Now that the white supremacist angle hasn’t worked out, liberals will use the Boulder murders to justify more gun laws. Al Issa apparently bought the rifle that he used in the shootings a matter of days before the murders. It is not surprising that he was able to buy a firearm, since as far as we know he had no felonies on his record and had not been judged incompetent or confined for mental illness. As usual, the refrain of “expanded background checks” proves pointless.

Joe Biden has already called for a ban on “assault rifles,” presumably because the one that was enacted in the 1990s worked so well. An “assault rifle” is semi-automatic, like many rifles sold nowadays, and like the large majority of pistols. Those classified as “assault weapons” are usually relatively low-power rifles and are distinguished by features that people who know nothing about firearms consider scary, like barrel shrouds.

According to FBI data, rifles remain among the most unpopular of all murder weapons, ranking well below knives, blunt objects and bare hands. Nevertheless, we are in for another tiresome round of fruitless “assault rifle” hysteria.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/03/the-boulder-murderer.php

https://crimeresearch.org/2018/05/klaveras-false-claims-about-the-federal-assault-weapons-ban-and-mass-public-shootings/

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8.xls

Other countries have mentally  ill but not the kind of carnage here , what's the difference ?  I know the answer but just asking . 

This country needs strict background  checks at the very least. 

Only responsible people  should have access to guns.

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I don't disagree with this.  Do this stuff (kind of like Iceland) and reimplement the federal assault weapons ban and I'm good. 

Ok so let's supposed the implement my ideas and we still have mass shootings.  Will you THEN agree that it's a people problem my a implement problem?  

And here's a question.  When I grew up in rural WNY in the 60's and 70's so many people carried guns in their vehicles.  Gun racks were common in the back windows of trucks and they were likely loaded.  And many of these were trucks in the school parking lot.  Did we have any mass murders?  Almost none. There was that guy in the the 60's at the University Bell tower in Austin but that was BIG news and a major rarity.  So he's the question.  What happened?   Why are these such a common occurrence?  

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok so let's supposed the implement my ideas and we still have mass shootings.  Will you THEN agree that it's a people problem my a implement problem?  

And here's a question.  When I grew up in rural WNY in the 60's and 70's so many people carried guns in their vehicles.  Gun racks were common in the back windows of trucks and they were likely loaded.  And many of these were trucks in the school parking lot.  Did we have any mass murders?  Almost none. There was that guy in the the 60's at the University Bell tower in Austin but that was BIG news and a major rarity.  So he's the question.  What happened?   Why are these such a common occurrence?  

And on autopsy, he was shown ro have a brain tumor.

Edited by Wacka

2 hours ago, wnyguy said:

All were white? So this should be a hate crime then right? Oh wait, they were white so it can't be a hate crime. And when the shooter being a muslim spoiled the liberal lefts dance party they just turned it into an attack on the right to bear arms. The Constitutional right. 

It's interesting.  ATL is mostly Asians it's racism racism racism.  Boulder was all white it's guns guns guns.  For the thinking people it's mental illness mental illness mental illness.  In my mind that's what ALL these mass shootings have in common.   We have to figure a way to identify the people that are likely to commit these crimes and make sure they never ever have access to a weapon and/or ammo.  

NIKKI GOESER: “Guns are used every single day in the United States to protect innocent lives.

It is a point often overlooked by gun control proponents who choose to ignore justifiable defensive use of guns to protect innocent lives.

https://townhall.com/columnists/nikkigoeser/2021/03/24/unintended-consequences-of-more-gun-control-n2586769

21 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

It depends on the nature of the shooting.  One shooter?  Two shooters? More than that? Time involved?  Casualties?  If the hypothetical is such that we eliminate Sandy Hook/Vegas-type shootings from the equation (big casualty counts catalyzed by fast-firing, high velocity weaponry with large capacity cartridges), then no, I wouldn’t agree.  

I can’t speak to your last few questions.  Probably a constellation of factors, one of which is the abundance of weaponry suitable for the perpetration of such crimes.  

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It depends on the nature of the shooting.  One shooter?  Two shooters? More than that? Time involved?  Casualties?  If the hypothetical is such that we eliminate Sandy Hook/Vegas-type shootings from the equation (big casualty counts catalyzed by fast-firing, high velocity weaponry with large capacity cartridges), then no, I wouldn’t agree.  

I can’t speak to your last few questions.  Probably a constellation of factors, one of which is the abundance of weaponry suitable for the perpetration of such crimes.  

Ok if you don't agree that it's a people problem not a implement problem then why are we just getting rid of scary guns? It sounds like you'd get rid of ALL guns. Not sure I understood your point

To your last point.  So lots of weapons were not available 50 years ago?  We were almost like the only family in the area that didn't have guns (my dad hated them).  You do know that one of the weapons in the Sandy Hood was a Glock right?  That incident, in my mind, was 100% the mental illness of the shooter not the weapon of choice.  You take away the scary guns they will find another weapon.  My opinion that these are 100% on the mind controlling the trigger not the trigger. 

16 minutes ago, BillStime said:

STOP with the HYSTERIA.  Show of hands.  How many here are afraid of being shot going to work, school, grocery store, concert?  

This is the type of hysterical freak you're going to use to get the message out that things need to change?  Wrong person for you to be putting on the soapbox.  

Patriarchal white supremacy coupled with easy access to fire arms.  And she has the audacity to say ***** YOU!  

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

STOP with the HYSTERIA.  Show of hands.  How many here are afraid of being shot going to work, school, grocery store, concert?  

This is the type of hysterical freak you're going to use to get the message out that things need to change?  Wrong person for you to be putting on the soapbox.  

Patriarchal white supremacy coupled with easy access to fire arms.  And she has the audacity to say ***** YOU!  

These are the same people who screamed about plastic straws and yet never stopped to think that there isn't a systemic way for your drinking straw to end up in the ocean!   Unless of course... YOU THROW IT INTO THE OCEAN!   Total idiots.

The USA should have a gun license system. In order to buy and own a gun you need a license. In order to get a license you need to pass a background test, mental health evaluation and take basic gun safety and training courses. Every 5 years you have to renew and pass the same mental health evaluation and get a refresher on your training. On top of that any gun sale has a waiting period and requires its own background check. In addition gun owners require liability insurance.

If that’s the vetting system in place you won’t get rid of all gun crime and mass shootings but you make the process of buying and owning guns much more of a responsibility and you likely would decrease the proliferation of guns and gun violence. You would also hopefully get a decrease in accidental deaths if you make sure every gun owner was educated on storage and how to handle a defensive situation.

Seems like common sense to me.

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

Checking with relatives then a Dr sign off on the person's mental ability. 

I've never purchased a firearm. If not the sort of check that you describe above, what more reliable sources would you suggest they 'check' with? Wouldn't the background check policy be up to the governing authority?  

40 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

It's interesting.  ATL is mostly Asians it's racism racism racism.  Boulder was all white it's guns guns guns.  For the thinking people it's mental illness mental illness mental illness.  In my mind that's what ALL these mass shootings have in common.   We have to figure a way to identify the people that are likely to commit these crimes and make sure they never ever have access to a weapon and/or ammo.  

Mental illness combined with anti-psychotic and anti-depressant drugs with lots of side effects like suicidal thoughts and paranoia.  The drug companies don't want anyone to bring this into the conversation nor do the politicians receiving lots of loot and contributions from the industry.  

1 minute ago, Unforgiven said:

Don't ya love how this info slips out quietly days after the fact....

Again, if was white supremacists the entire msm would have been yelling about

it in airports 5 mins after the fact, and non stop for weeks.

No worries...the sound is normally turned off on TVs in the airport!  You can't here the hour by hour outrage and hysteria from CNN. 😂

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I've never purchased a firearm. If not the sort of check that you describe above, what more reliable sources would you suggest they 'check' with? Wouldn't the background check policy be up to the governing authority?  

Relatives would know a person the best , ask them before a gun permit , at least good families.

I've never purchased a firearm  , after 6 years in the military I hate guns. 

Edited by ALF

16 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Don't ya love how this info slips out quietly days after the fact....

Again, if was white supremacists the entire msm would have been yelling about

it in airports 5 mins after the fact, and non stop for weeks.

You white supremacists are so persecuted...poor thing.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

YES JIM - PEOPLE ARE AFRAID.

7 hours ago, aristocrat said:

The gangs typically get a clean record person to buy the gun, it's used and discarded rinse and repeat.  If you buy a gun and say don't have proof you have it 6 months later no more guns for you since you can't be responsible.

The reddogblitz plan takes it into account.  If a person buys a gun, if the gun is used in a crime or someone gets shot with it, you go to jail for 1 year.  If you legally sell it to someone then they become responsible and you are off the hook.  People will be a lot more careful with their guns when the reddogbliz plan is implemented.  Many people would decide its just not worth it to hold onto.

Edited by reddogblitz

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I am all for background checks and all for more mental health services.  They'll help, (and what the hell was his family doing here??

Have you ever had a family member with a mental illness?

I have and its extremely difficult if not impossible to get help for them from governmental agencies or any agency for that matter.  Once the insurance runs out which it does quickly, you are on your own and good luck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

NO THEY ARE NOT!!  Tell you what one of the P's in PPP is Polls.  Start a poll and see what percentage of people here are afraid of being shot.  

@BillStime  If you disagree take a poll. Best way to fine out.  

The only time I've been fearful is when I lived in Oakland.  House was broken in to and it was bad out there.  Why I bought a firearm.  It greatly reduced my fear. 

Edited by Chef Jim

10 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

@BillStime  If you disagree take a poll. Best way to fine out.  

The only time I've been fearful is when I lived in Oakland.  House was broken in to and it was bad out there.  Why I bought a firearm.  It greatly reduced my fear. 

Jim, is a Buffalo Bills message board remotely close to a fair representation of America?  No.

Enough is enough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Jim, is a Buffalo Bills message board remotely close to a fair representation of America?  No.

Enough is enough.

Seriously?  We have people living all over the US. Why most of us joined the board to begin with.  So I feel it’s a decent representation. 

I think a VAST majority of the county is NOT afraid of being shot.  

On 3/23/2021 at 11:37 AM, B-Man said:

The important part.

VICTIM NAMES:

Denny Strong, 20

Nevin Stanisic, 23

Rikki Olds 25,

Tralona Bartkowiak, 49

Suzanne Fountain, 59

Teri Leiker, 51

Officer Eric Talley, 51

Kevin Mahoney, 61

Lynn Murray, 62

Jody Waters, 65

The names of the victims do not matter. The family of the victims do not matter. They are all of little consequence.

The only thing that matters is the constitution was built on a basis of squirrel guns and long knives and somehow that got translated to ARs, AKs etc. 

For all those that support that premise and hide behind this position, I hope you never sleep without thinking of the 1000s of victims. 

Edited by Niagara Bill
Additional comments
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

The names of the victims do not matter. The family of the victims do not matter. They are all of little consequence.

The only thing that matters is the constitution was built on a basis of squirrel guns and long knives and somehow that got translated to ARs, AKs etc. 

For all those that support that premise and hide behind this position, I hope you never sleep without thinking of the 1000s of victims. 

Aren’t you Canadian? Why are you even in this conversation? 

26 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

The constitution was built on the basis of overthrowing a government and guns were the most advanced weapons on the planet at the time. I am curious if you lose sleep over the fact that allowing people to travel 80km an hour causes 10k more deaths than a permanent 30km an hour. If not why would someone having a freedom bother me if people having freedom does not bother you?  I have two people I was friends with die separately because of cars plowing into their cars. My friends were not at fault but the other people were, no one demanded cars being removed, we charged the people.

9 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Aren’t you Canadian? Why are you even in this conversation? 

It matters to see your neighbour's have a daily civil war over killing each other over what a few folks said 245 years ago. It is a good thing that they did not specifically mention the right to allow your horse to poop and not scoop. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The constitution was built on the basis of overthrowing a government and guns were the most advanced weapons on the planet at the time. I am curious if you lose sleep over the fact that allowing people to travel 80km an hour causes 10k more deaths than a permanent 30km an hour. If not why would someone having a freedom bother me if people having freedom does not bother you?  I have two people I was friends with die separately because of cars plowing into their cars. My friends were not at fault but the other people were, no one demanded cars being removed, we charged the people.

The founding fathers never mentioned the right to ride your horse as fast as you wanted. If they did there would be no speed limits on our highways, either 80km or 50 mph.

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

It matters to see your neighbour's have a daily civil war over killing each other over what a few folks said 245 years ago. It is a good thing that they did not specifically mention the right to allow your horse to poop and not scoop. 

Once again I see you peeping over into our backyard and realize you have no idea how our country works down here. But I guess, “thank you” for your concern. We live under the principles  established by our Constitution. We can change the rules and have amended that Constitution many times over the decades. Most of the debate you’re listening to on so many topics is because those who want to change the rules are trying to circumvent the process. Healthy debate is fine but we still have to stick to the process. It has served us well. 

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Once again I see you peeping over into our backyard and realize you have no idea how our country works down here. But I guess, “thank you” for your concern. We live under the principles  established by our Constitution. We can change the rules and have amended that Constitution many times over the decades. Most of the debate you’re listening to on so many topics is because those who want to change the rules are trying to circumvent the process. Healthy debate is fine but we still have to stick to the process. It has served us well. 

I don't see the process as the issue. The process has become unusable because of extremists on both sides. The logic that the right to bear arms includes military weapons is extreme. Why not flame throwers, small bombs, the next mini nuclear weapon, etc.

By the way...37 years I spent working and living in both sides of the border. I chose not to remain and live because of the extremes we discuss here.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Leave it to a Canadian to not understand the 2A of our Constitution.  

6 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

The founding fathers never mentioned the right to ride your horse as fast as you wanted. If they did there would be no speed limits on our highways, either 80km or 50 mph.

2A is just as relevant (even more so) today than it was nearly 250 years ago.  Educate yourself. 

35 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

I don't see the process as the issue. The process has become unusable because of extremists on both sides. The logic that the right to bear arms includes military weapons is extreme. Why not flame throwers, small bombs, the next mini nuclear weapon, etc.

By the way...37 years I spent working and living in both sides of the border. I chose not to remain and live because of the extremes we discuss here.

Get oot eh....your logic is frozen.