It looks like Bills Management thinks it is the RBs.

Since the season ended the debate has been between those of us, myself included, who think the problem with the running game and the team's abandonment of it is because our RBs aren't very good and those who have blamed it on the O-line.  Well, so far based on the re-signing of Feliciano and Williams, it looks pretty obvious to me that Beane, who in his end of season PC indicated he wasn't pleased with the running game, doesn't think the O-line was the problem.  The starting 5 are basically locked in with the exception of LG, which will be either Ford or Boettger.  So IMO Beane knows our RBs suck and will be looking to upgrade at RB, not O-line, either in free agency or the draft.  

The lamest excuse I've seen for not upgrading the running back position is that Beane would have to admit he made a mistake drafting a RB in the 3rd round in each of the last 2 drafts.  Beane doesn't seem to be the type whose pride would cause him to keep the status quo at a position of need just because he drafted two 3rd round RBs.  If the Bills were so satisfied with Singletary & Moss as the top 2 RBs, they would have never tried to sign Bell in the middle of this past season.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

There is a third option, personnel/play design!   Its hard to run well in 10 and 11 personnel.  Maybe they need to commit more to running...pound away a little more.

The passing game was also insanely effective which led to this team passing a lot more and not getting into a groove with the run game. I expect the offensive staff to try and work on the scheme as I agree with keeping the O-line together as I really don't think run blocking was the major issue in the ground games inconsistency. There were several games where the Bills were able to eat clock with a grind it out run game. The team just needs to find a way to take over on the ground when they have a lead.

The front office isn’t blind.  Singletary is not a threat to break anything, Moss got broke at the end of last year, so his explosiveness may not be there at all.  The position needs an upgrade, they would not have spent another 3rd round pick on a back if they thought DS was the real deal.  I think they did ok with Miss, but time will tell.   That said, a real, quality, back is an upgrade.

I expect a signing or another relatively high pick to be spent on a back field weapon. Not necessarily a pure RB, but somebody that puts D’s on edge a little.  Be it Etienne, or somebody else, more speed, hands and ideally power are needed.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, mattynh said:

There is a third option, personnel/play design!   Its hard to run well in 10 and 11 personnel.  Maybe they need to commit more to running...pound away a little more.

Possibly, but our passing attack in 10 & 11 pkgs is so explosive, to align any other way is to tip our hand what we’re Not going to do. Feliciano has shown much better at run blocking -which is a ‘tip’ as well, while Morse seems better suited to pass pro. I’m in the Big Back camp. A stout thumper with some wheels.

• Like (+1) 3

If the Bills get a good TE than they can look at upgrading RB... The style of offense the Bills play if you change it up you know its a run. Add a TE that is good and you will get a better run game. They need to grab one of these TE's left that we know can contribute.

I agree.  I think the Bills had a few issues in the run game last year.  First and foremost the backs on the team lack explosion getting to the hole, thats why you saw Yeldon have some success where Singletary and Moss struggled.  Additionally, the other skill positions like tight end and wide out (specifically Gabe Davis) struggled with picking up their blocking assignments.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Possibly, but our passing attack in 10 & 11 pkgs is so explosive, to align any other way is to tip our hand what we’re Not going to do. Feliciano has shown much better at run blocking -which is a ‘tip’ as well, while Morse seems better suited to pass pro. I’m in the Big Back camp. A stout thumper with some wheels.

We ran more under center than out of shotgun last year.  Which to me is a bit of a tell.  If its 60/40 pass out of shotgun, and 60/40 run from under center - thats a bit of a tell.

• Like (+1) 2

I think the problem is we need to run more big sets, heavy sets and twin TE packages. Having a FB may help or a gifted TE that can play H-back. We seem to play a fair amount of spread packages with more WRs on the field, which should be the dominant staple and feature in our offense but it’s harder to run in those type of packages although if you have a RB who can catch the ball fluently then the pass could be an extension of the running game though though the box score stats may say otherwise. Regardless I’d say an upgrade at TE is in order, may arguably be our biggest need.

50 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Given all these Bills RB thread criticisms, enjoying watching the Bills offense this year was apparently only enjoyed by the less knowledgeable fan.

It is the off season unless we rank first the fans are going to pick it apart. The goal of the off season is to get better. Makes sense to me that the rbs and everything involved when it comes tot he running game we had last year would get picked apart. 

How many times did both RBs have to elude tacklers in the backfield?  Many times was my perception.  

The OL did not have a lot of continuity last year with Feliciano out for first half of season, Ford moving from T to G and then being injured, Williams taking over early from Ford and Morse missing time with injury as well.  That could have affected run blocking.

I agree, it would be great to have a super-fast back, but I don't think that would have changed many of the negative run plays last year as they would still have had to dodge defenders in the backfield.  Yes, maybe a bit quicker start with exceptional decisiveness might sneak through a few more small holes before they close, but I don't think Chris Johnson in his prime would have been very effective with the run blocking the BIlls had last year.  

Was it injuries/lack of continuity?  Was it scheme?  Was it the OL talent itself?  Was it the RBs?  I don't know, but I think both Bills backs can be decent NFL backs given some blocking.

• Like (+1) 1

Or maybe that they simply don't think they need to be much above average in the run game(they were 19th and stronger in some areas) and they can improve it with scheme.

They literally had a RB who averaged 5 yards per carry as a rookie in 2019..........and still used a third round pick on another RB.........so I don't think adding another RB would be some admission that they think their RB's stink.

My personal favorite is making a trade for Phillip Lindsay after Denver gives him a second round tender at a $3.4M cap hit.    Do the same with Levi Wallace and swap players.   Denver #1 need is at CB.....they need multiple....... and they play a zone system.    That dude is legit fast and has also produced and it will be a walk year.   

Better than trading a good pick for Hunt and then paying him $5M cap hit next year.........$5M in cap space got JJ Watt in Arizona........it's a lot this year.

• Like (+1) 1

This is not some debate being had by Bills brass as might be being implied here. The film available to us from 2020 (lots of cover1 analysis available out there) shows clearly that more often than not, the reason for difficulties in the running game were due to blocking failures. The Bills brass already knows that. Some of it seemed to be scheme related as well (ie. running out of 10 personnel). The 2 guys we have can get the job done on an offense that will be focused on JA17, and rightly so. A speedy receiving back (like Hunt) is about the only way I see the Bills adding a FA running back.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Or maybe that they simply don't think they need to be much above average in the run game(they were 19th and stronger in some areas) and they can improve it with scheme.

They literally had a RB who averaged 5 yards per carry as a rookie in 2019..........and still used a third round pick on another RB.........so I don't think adding another RB would be some admission that they think their RB's stink.

My personal favorite is making a trade for Phillip Lindsay after Denver gives him a second round tender at a $3.4M cap hit.    Do the same with Levi Wallace and swap players.   Denver #1 need is at CB.....they need multiple....... and they play a zone system.    That dude is legit fast and has also produced and it will be a walk year.   

Better than trading a good pick for Hunt and then paying him $5M cap hit next year.........$5M in cap space got JJ Watt in Arizona........it's a lot this year.

I'm not saying Levi Wallace is any sort of star, but he's decent, knows the system, and competent CBs are way valuable than RBs. The Bills were second in the league in both yards and points last season, and while their running game isn't great, offense isn't the problem. Bad cornerback play will really expose the defense, which needs to improve. Bad corner play is the sort of thing no defense can tolerate. My point is, in a season in which you're gunning for SB, do you want to weaken our pool of corners for a RB coming off a down year and who is kind of a nothing in the passing game?  

• Like (+1) 2