I think Chris Carson is the guy to get at RB, Hunter Henry at TE

Don't get me wrong, Aaron Jones is the man and I would love him in a Bills uniform but I think he is gonna be commanding too high of a salary.

Chris Carson is said to average about $7-8 million a year on the market which honestly isn't to bad. Before last season in which he was hurt he had an 1100 yard and 1200 yard season and has been reliable as a pass catcher out of the backfield. Maybe something like a 4yr $30 million contract is reasonable. That would come out to about $7 million a season.

I read somewhere that Chris Carson is the best back in the league when it comes to broken tackles and he is a bruising type of back. 

As far as Henry, he's young, talented and would easily improve our TE corps. A nice weapon for Josh. Beane sounded like he wanted to improve the TE position at his end of year press conference so I'm interested to see what happens.

I'm not saying to sign both but one or the other. Both would be helpful 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Chris Carson is always injured and will cost a ton.  I doubt Beane is going to invest in that.  Henry i can get behind but I’ll pass on Carson. 

I don't think he is going to coat that much because of his injury history. Again, I think $7 million a season is reasonable. Considering someone like Aaron Jones is slated to get like $12 million a year or higher 

• Vomit 2
  • Dislike 1

Not seeing Beane spend what is altogether to much money on an as stated above, an often injured RB, when the O line and D line are in need of attention as it were. 

The old true-ism that “ The game is won and lost in the trenches” persists,  because it’s true...

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Chris Carson is always injured and will cost a ton.  I doubt Beane is going to invest in that.  Henry i can get behind but I’ll pass on Carson. 

Carson is not “always injured”.  He played 12 games this year (4.8 ypc) and 29 games the previous two seasons combined.  You must have been thinking of Zach Moss.

Edited by mannc

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

If we’re playing Madden with the salary cap off, then yes let’s sign both of them

I didn't say to sign both of them. That was hard to read I guess

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Not seeing Beane spend what is altogether to much money on an as stated above often injured RB, when the O line and D line are in need of attention as it were. 

The old true-ism that “ The game is won and lost in the trenches” persists,  because it’s true...

Really? How many TDs a year do offensive lineman score?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I didn't say to sign both of them. That was hard to read I guess

Really? How many plays success is contingent on your lines holding up? The answer to that is; every single one...

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Really? How many plays success is contingent on your lines holding up? The answer to that is; every single one...

Our line is fine. It was all last season. We have 3 of those guys returning. It's one of the least of our concerns 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I agree wholeheartedly in focusing on the trenches, but the Colts had a better OL and DL than us... and we beat them in the Playoffs mainly due to Josh Allen and our WR’s.   

Just saying.. it isn’t the end all, be all.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Hunter Henry on top of our WRs would keep defenses from stacking the box, allowing our offense to run like a sports car. The only drawback would be that the team would be forced to use the first pick on a pass rusher. I'd be good with this, just prefer to have BPA as the option with the top pick. But damn that'd be a smooth ass offense if they could add Henry......

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

You said with Madden and the salary cap off we could probably sign both. Indicating to me that you're referring that I was saying to sign both

They would both be very good options. Especially if we were playing Madden with the salary cap off. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was listening to a show the other day (not sure which one...) but they were talking about the RB and it made sense to me. They were saying you never sign a RB to a second contract unless he is a top 5 or a generational talent. You use him for his rookie contract (3-5 yrs) tag him for a year (or 2) and then replace him. It's not a wise place to spend 8+ million for a second contract with such a short shelf life of the position.. Just made sense to me. Is Carson a top 5 or generational talent I guess would be my 1st question..

This is a good thread, imo.  Both guys seem to be players we could target with our remaining cap space/Beane finagling some additional cap space.  

Of course it’s highly unlikely we sign both (which the OP clearly admitted). 

I’d go Henry.. we can draft a RB early that can produce.  Any TE we draft is likely another guy we have to develop a bit.   We’re already doing that with Knox.  

In case anyone is unaware of my feeling on runnin' bax..............I would not sign one for good money in UFA even if I didn't have to take relatively extreme measures to do that......like restructuring the contracts of guys like Tre White and Dion Dawkins who were just recently signed.

At the point they are wrt the salary cap......in order to add a very good player they likely need to push some money of players already under contract down the road.........just to sign a player to a backloaded contract that pushes money down the road on them too.

I'm not against that.....their window is open.......but do it for players at positions that actually change the outcome of games rather than players who you just feel like change the outcome of games.    There can be a difference.   Follow the Vegas lines.......RB's don't move them.     

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

Our line is fine. It was all last season. We have 3 of those guys returning. It's one of the least of our concerns 

Our O line is fine most of the time as far as pass blocking goes, as to run blocking the O line as it currently sits was noticeably lacking as was stated by our GM at the season end PC, but hell, why take his word for it... 

The D lines run stopping issues are also well known, but yah, let’s ignore that too... because the lines holding up on every play is of no consequence evidently... 

24 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Don't get me wrong, Aaron Jones is the man and I would love him in a Bills uniform but I think he is gonna be commanding too high of a salary.

Chris Carson is said to average about $7-8 million a year on the market which honestly isn't to bad. Before last season in which he was hurt he had an 1100 yard and 1200 yard season and has been reliable as a pass catcher out of the backfield. Maybe something like a 4yr $30 million contract is reasonable. That would come out to about $7 million a season.

I read somewhere that Chris Carson is the best back in the league when it comes to broken tackles and he is a bruising type of back. 

As far as Henry, he's young, talented and would easily improve our TE corps. A nice weapon for Josh. Beane sounded like he wanted to improve the TE position at his end of year press conference so I'm interested to see what happens.

I'm not saying to sign both but one or the other. Both would be helpful 

I want no part of Carson unless you get him at vet min.  Paying an oft injured RB 7-8 million is just stupid.  He provides nothing extra that we do not have.  If they are signing/drafting a RB (which I have my doubts based upon the roster) we need a speed back that can catch.  

Hunter Henry is the right age, but again I do not want to pay big for what has been barely above our current TE groups production.  I just do not see the need to overpay for a TE producing 600 yards and 4 TDs on average - plus the injury as he has not played 16 games in 5 seasons.  Again for a small price ok, but not above 3-4 million.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In case anyone is unaware of my feeling on runnin' bax..............I would not sign one for good money in UFA even if I didn't have to take relatively extreme measures to do that......like restructuring the contracts of guys like Tre White and Dion Dawkins who were just recently signed.

At the point they are wrt the salary cap......in order to add a very good player they likely need to push some money of players already under contract down the road.........just to sign a player to a backloaded contract that pushes money down the road on them too.

I'm not against that.....their window is open.......but do it for players at positions that actually change the outcome of games rather than players who you just feel like change the outcome of games.    There can be a difference.   Follow the Vegas lines.......RB's don't move them.     

In the past YOU have extolled the benefit of having a big, fast bruising back like Carson, who can punish teams that put 5 or 6 DBs on the field to stop the pass. Have you changed your mind about that?  

And of course, no players other than QBs really move the betting line. That’s a bad argument.

I'll add both these guys: 00.8% chance lol. But if they really wanted Henry, it could be done, just that it would pretty much kill the rest of free agency except for maybe one 3-5 M a year player. I'm on board with Henry even though we'd stay a little weak in other areas. We could match maybe anybody score for score with Henry. He is a better weapon than that the TE from Atlanta that Cleveland signed last year.

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I agree wholeheartedly in focusing on the trenches, but the Colts had a better OL and DL than us... and we beat them in the Playoffs mainly due to Josh Allen and our WR’s.   

Just saying.. it isn’t the end all, be all.

Our pass blocking is above average, and with JA slinging the ball we are gonna do fine passing the majority of the time, run blocking on the other hand, not so much... we have two RBs that performance wise were mediocre this past year, no doubt, but that was mostly because running plays were poorly executed / designed for the vast majority of the season. This aspect I grant you is certainly in need of attention. 

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Our pass blocking is above average, and with JA slinging the ball we are gonna do fine passing the majority of the time, run blocking on the other hand, not so much... we have two RBs that performance wise were mediocre this past year, no doubt, but that was mostly because running plays were poorly executed / designed for the vast majority of the season. This aspect I grant you is certainly in need of attention. 

Agreed.. our pass blocking is above average, but the Colts DL was no joke, and Josh Allen did a lot of his damage in evading pressure.   

Not to rehash that game, but my point was that the Colts had arguable THE best OL in football and a top end DL to go with it, and they lost to the Bills because of our skill position players at QB & WR. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agreed.. our pass blocking is above average, but the Colts DL was no joke, and Josh Allen did a lot of his damage in evading pressure.   

Not to rehash that game, but my point was that the Colts had arguable THE best OL in football and a top end DL to go with it, and they lost to the Bills because of our skill position players at QB & WR. 

Yes our Skill player are better than theirs, 

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

In the past YOU have extolled the benefit of having a big, fast bruising back like Carson, who can punish teams that put 5 or 6 DBs on the field to stop the pass. Have you changed your mind about that?  

And of course, no players other than QBs really move the betting line. That’s a bad argument.

Do you mean like Karlos Williams and Mike Gillislee.........who they got for a 5th round pick and nothing?    

Sure.

But Devin Singletary is a career 4.8 ypc back..........Carson is at 4.6 but has more mileage and injury concerns.

Why would you want to pay 7X as much money for Carson?

Part of the issue has to be the old "grass is greener on the other side" or something because people act like they would be getting a massive upgrade and the tape and the numbers do not support that.   

• Like (+1) 3

Draft a RB. Carson is an often injured RB who would be a waste of cap space. There are three guys who are a cut above the rest of the RB's in this draft in Harris, Etienne, and Javonte Williams available day 1 or 2. Then there are some guys like Kylin Hill and Javian Hawkins who are 3rd day guys who can be of use. You don't pay a RB $7-$8M. 

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Ignorant comment. Quit playing Madden.

Only one RB has ever been able to perform without a line- Barry Sanders. 

No QB has ever been able to perform well without a line and if a QB has no time to throw the WRs get no catches. 

Lineman are the framework of any Offense.

I find it funny everyone wants another RB.

So let's just say they do sign a RB or draft a RB in the first two rounds, what do you do with Singletary, Moss and Williams? They are not dressing 4 for Game Day and probably not 3 either.

3 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

So let's just say they do sign a RB or draft a RB in the first two rounds, what do you do with Singletary, Moss and Williams? They are not dressing 4 for Game Day and probably not 3 either.

Ha... I find myself being one of them and have to remind myself to stop it.  

Pre-2020, I was firmly in the “never pay RB’s / never draft them high” camp.  

Then I watched Singletary/Moss for a full year, and..... ehhhh.  

I do think OL improvements at the Guard spots could do the trick, but Singletary’s pass catching issues REALLY frustrated me last year.  Moss, I’m fine with.  DS better put in work this offseason if we’re rolling with him again. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrSarcasm said:

We need a RB with breakaway speed. None of Moss, Singletary, or Antonio Williams have that. I don't think AW even ends up on the 53 when it's all said and done either. Harris is a 3 down back who is similar to Derek Henry as in once he gets in space those wheels get rolling. Etienne is an all purpose back with 4.4 speed. Javonte Williams is another guy who will run a sub-4.5 forty and can do it all, but I think may run with more power than the other two. There's a reason they call Javian Hawkins "Playstation" and he'll run a 4.4 forty or better. Kylin Hill is a nice, all around RB who would be a solid addition on day 3. You always look to improve at every position in the draft, especially when you don't have upper echelon talent at the position. 

• Like (+1) 1