Isaiah McKenzie Thanks Bills Mafia, Leaves Directions on how to Find him

The man is wearing shorts in the snow!!! Re-sign!

8 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Aside from his underutilization - by biggest knock on him is that he never makes a guy miss. On a sweep he’s 100% sprint to corner/sprint to toward the marker.  If someone is in the way, the play is dead.  This makes me question his ability to be our primary return guy. 

I keep wanting him to be Roscoe Parrish, and I’m seeing TJ Graham/Marquise Goodwin.

On that kick return vs Miami he made several guys miss

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So Andre Roberts's contract is up, and I hope we don't re-sign him.

I think McKenzie could very easily be re-signed for cheaper and take his place as both kick and punt returner.  Obviously it was a small sample size, but we all saw what he did against Miami.

He's actually a unique player that I think fits well into Daboll's system.  In fact, as we finished our season out, I was wondering why we stopped with all of the constant motion with McKenzie.  Was it because Davis superseded him as the #4 or was it some kinda statement about Daboll's faith in Josh that he didn't need all the misdirection and distraction?

Anyway, I would be happy if McKenzie came back at a reasonable price, which I think is quite possible 

it wasn’t a statement of confidence as if “we don’t even need this tool”

There are guys in the draft that are similar to McKenzie, but with serious WR skills - Kadarius Toney, Rondale Moore and Tutu Atwell.  

I could maybe see him back if we don’t go after one of them.  

I also don’t know how to explain him barely playing in the postseason with an extremely hobbled receiving group.. that says something to me about his future here. 

It's a lock that McKenzie will be wearing a Miami Dolphins helmet next season.  He torched them in that final, very impressive game and I'm guessing the Fins will make him their primary returner and new offensive weapon.

McD and Daboll should be charged with neglect for not utilizing McKenzie more in the KC game while the game was still competitive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, DasNootz said:

Aside from his underutilization - by biggest knock on him is that he never makes a guy miss. On a sweep he’s 100% sprint to corner/sprint to toward the marker.  If someone is in the way, the play is dead.  This makes me question his ability to be our primary return guy.

Um...were you sleeping during the return TD against Miami?  He left a bunch of jocks scattered about behind him, and some of them still had stuff twitching

3 hours ago, DasNootz said:

I keep wanting him to be Roscoe Parrish, and I’m seeing TJ Graham/Marquise Goodwin.

Personally, I've been impressed by how well he's grown as a receiver.  He has moves now he didn't have a year ago and couldn't dream of 2 years ago.

The only reason I question his ability to be our primary return guy is his judgement in space.  There was a punt with great hang time in Miami which he couldn't field that came Per-il-ous-ly close to hitting him.  Would have been 6 points for them.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t dislike McKenzie but I do notice the offense is not as good when he’s not motioning. Can anyone do that? I never really understood why we didn’t utilize more of our guys similar to what he does. Smoke would scream off the jet sweep as well as McKenzie. 
That said he’s shown me no reasons to not want him around. Similar to a lot of our free agents price on the open market will dictate if he’s back or not. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um...were you sleeping during the return TD against Miami?  He left a bunch of jocks scattered about behind him, and some of them still had stuff twitching

Personally, I've been impressed by how well he's grown as a receiver.  He has moves now he didn't have a year ago and couldn't dream of 2 years ago.

The only reason I question his ability to be our primary return guy is his judgement in space.  There was a punt with great hang time in Miami which he couldn't field that came Per-il-ous-ly close to hitting him.  Would have been 6 points for them.

He had some issues with that kind of thing in denver.  I respect him for A - beating mccloud for the job (both had really good really solid 2019 camps), and B - carving out a role even after they signed roberts, drafted davis and hodgins etc.  Go get that paycheck.

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

He’s what, 24?  Still might have some upside to develop as a WR.  I wouldn’t assume he’s strictly a gadget guy.

There's no question that he's developed significantly as a WR. 

2018, Strictly fast gadget guy and they tried to use him as a punt and kickoff returner, with such success that Micah Hyde got the job and we signed Roberts.

2019, Mostly used on jet sweeps and gadgets but they started to use him on slants and crossers because he became a "tell" and he did OK

2020, He's developed more of a route tree.  He's developed some moves to get open.  I don't think we saw him in the KC game very much because he can still get jammed and neutralized off the line by big, physical corners.

The eyeball test gets backed up by stats.  Similar targets 2018, 2019, 2020.  Catch % 60, 69, 88% and the degree of difficulty on the catches has gone up.

I'd really like to see him back.

12 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Me too, I mean I doubt we can return that mannequin.

They used it the previous year to prank Beasley.  I expect there will be another short guy on the team who gets "love"

• Like (+1) 1