Why does Allen fumble so much running with the ball?

1 hour ago, FieldGeneral said:

If you noticed on the 1st TD, most QBs would have gone down immediately to avoid injury or run out of bounds. Allen appears to always be looking to get rid of the ball. He's either trying that or fighting for extra yards. 

He's gotten much better at not doing that type of thing.  He's thrown the ball away many times, eating the play, when he realizes it's not working.  In a good way.  

He needs to eliminate his habit of turning around, running straight away from the center towards his own end zone, and then getting sacked for like a 15 yard loss.  He did that in the Colts game, but I thought he had learned not to do that.

It's an opportunity to improve. 

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Reminds me of Ray Bourque.

His gloves would get so wet with sweat he had to use a new pair for each period.

He also did the trick of putting baby powder in them to try and keep them dry.

I do that in my shorts... keeps the king and lads swinging around freely all day... and smelling fresh too no matter how many 300lb lifts I have done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's possible. He's not really careless with the ball like Mike Vick or someone. He tucks it but it just pops out. Strange. He's got massive hands, so it's not tiny hands. 

I'm sticking with the excessive sweating. 

To be fair,  Allen is trying to constantly make a play  downfield...He keeps the ball and his arm in throwing motion till the last moment...he is always susceptible for fumble.

When running the ball, he keeps his ball up (he is not a RB)  instead of tucking . 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

He fails to exert the proper pressure on both sides of the ball hence causing the ball to escape to unfriendly opposing players

On a related note, what is The Deflator up to these days? 

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's got 31 fumbles over the last 2 years. It's a concern. Most just seem to pop out. 

Maybe he's got what Brian Campbell had. Excessive sweating. His arms are might be drenched in sweat. Maybe Brian Campbell can help him. 

People seem to gloss over the fact that he fumbles when he's not hit very hard. Saw this alot his first 2 seasons. It's something we're just going to have to tolerate. 

He’s going to fumble every once in awhile.  Every QB does.  Enjoy his greatness and overcome his mistakes.  The mistakes will never stop.  Just like every QB in the history of football.  Just be happy that we have him

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's mental more than physical. Like you say he isn't holding the ball carelessly. I think he's so focused on staying upright and fighting off the defender that he isn't 100% focused on gripping the ball. That little bit of leeway is enough for defenders to punch it out. Imagine trying to use all your strength to resist a 300 lb behemoth while simultaneously holding onto a weirdly shaped ball that another super athlete is punching at. Most QBs in that situation just fall down and focus on nothing but holding onto the ball.

Edited by HappyDays

His go to move is the stiff arm which means the ball is secured by only one while he is fighting off defenders.  I doubt he actually fumbled more often than other QBs this year but they tend to look different based on his style.  Someone would have to show me the numbers.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's not careless with the ball. Many of his fumbles come with it tucked in and tight. It's a mystery to me. Any suggestions? 

Also lost in the Allen fumble vs Colts was Feliciano go destroyed on that play. Embarrassed, the real reason for the fumble. Still though, Allen had it tucked tight and it just pops out. 

So I think the play Saturday is an example of one where Josh has to give up and eat the sack sooner. Feliciano got well beaten (he is the one guys on our line who plays the run better than the pass) and once Josh can't rid of it immediately he should just do a Tom Brady, collapse to his knees and cradle the football. That however is not who Josh Allen is. I think here are numerous of those plays where even in the arms of defenders he is still fighting like a fly in a fly trap and wriggling his arms about and the ball gets popped. 

Not sure you will ever cure it. He is always gonna have that bit of hero ball it is part of what makes him great.