Why does Allen fumble so much running with the ball?

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's possible. He's not really careless with the ball like Mike Vick or someone. He tucks it but it just pops out. Strange. He's got massive hands, so it's not tiny hands. 

I'm sticking with the excessive sweating. 

He never looks like he's sweating

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

Some good work here, that's for certain.

Come on. He's either 1st or 2nd in fumbles over the last 2 years. It's a fair question because honestly I don't see any reason for the fumbles from how he carries the football. In the Colts game he tucked it in and it popped out. Seems that's how it happens with him. 

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

Gravity just sucks the ball away

This is possible. Gravity. 

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's not careless with the ball. Many of his fumbles come with it tucked in and tight. It's a mystery to me. Any suggestions? 

Also lost in the Allen fumble vs Colts was Feliciano go destroyed on that play. Embarrassed, the real reason for the fumble. Still though, Allen had it tucked tight and it just pops out. 

Paging @SDS

23 minutes ago, T&C said:

Already, this thread is a hit.

Maybe he was just playing with them to see if they could score if they recovered it.

Playing with "them"? Are you referring to his balls sir?

• Haha (+1) 2

Part of the answer is he fumbles a lot cuz he fumbles a lot.  I think once he has a reputation as a fumbler, defenders are much more apt to make an effort to force it out.

Part of the problem might be that he's difficult to bring down, so that gives more opportunity to cause a fumble.  Unfortunately, I don't think that's entirely the situation as he seems to fumble quite easily under "normal" contact.

Someone mentioned his height.  That might sort of contribute to the problem, but I think it's more his upright running style.  More/easier access to the ball.

41 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's not careless with the ball. Many of his fumbles come with it tucked in and tight. It's a mystery to me. Any suggestions? 

Also lost in the Allen fumble vs Colts was Feliciano go destroyed on that play. Embarrassed, the real reason for the fumble. Still though, Allen had it tucked tight and it just pops out. 

Oline pass blocked reasonably well most of the day but you are correct Feliciano got beaten badly on that play.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just before the point of contact, most QBs throw the ball away and/or fall to the ground to lessen the hit.  Josh doesn't want to go down.  He's in there with one or two defenders, trying to escape.  I think it's simply the bad that comes with the good.

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

In the Colts game he tucked it in and it popped out.

It didn't just pop out. The defensive player pulled the ball loose as they were going to the ground. Why don't you go back and look at the play.

That fumble had far more to do with good defensive play than Allen being careless, playing "hero ball," or not being arware of the situation. Sometimes negative plays happen and there really is nobody to blame....

Because he one hands the ball quite frequently, he needs to have a chat with the RBs room on how to protect the ball, that and when he is off script he is endlessly trying to complete a pass, so he is thinking like a QB not a RB. 

Go Bills!!! 

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah.  He perspires. 

Dude, he glows damn it... 

58 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't think this is correct.  I don't think he fumbles mostly with the ball tucked in and tight, hasn't very much since hmmm hmmm I think Browns game last year.  I think he's worked hard on tucking the ball in and trying to bring his left arm over and across to cover it.

Most of his fumbles since then IMO (observation) have come when either 1) he is in the pocket - strip-sack 2) he is making a decision as to whether to throw or run - the Mercilus strip sack in the Houston game was one of these.  I did a breakdown at one point of the situation in Josh's fumbles early/late season at one point.

Sometimes he tries to throw the ball away too late instead of just hanging onto it like his most precious possession - fumble in Saturday's game falls in that class IMO.

Sometimes when Josh has NOT fumbled, he still drives me nuts by running around waving the ball around in one hand like a keeper carrying tuna chunks across the wall between the Seaworld Orca tanks.  What are you waiting for, Josh, Kasatka to broach and eat it?  Tuck that thing away!

10 fumbles, 6 fumbles lost this season during the regular season. 

Comparison:

Aaron Rogers 4 - 2 lost

Drew Brees  7 - 2 lost

Deshaun Watson 8 - 3 lost

Russ Wilson 7 - 4 lost

Patrick Mahomes - 5 - 2 lost

Kyler Murray - 9 - 4 lost

Lamar Jackson - 10 - 4 lost

Bear in mind that 2 of Josh's fumbles were a fumbled snap exchange between Morse and Allen (that seems to have been on Morse, and that Josh could probably have recovered by falling on instead of trying to pick up), and a fumbled QB-RB mesh point (that seems to have been on Moss) but I left them in as we don't know whether some of the other QBs might have been assigned fumbles that really aren't on them.

Just looking at the list, appears that running QB such as Josh, Murray, Lamar Jackson may tend have more fumbles.  But room to improve, for sure.

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's got 31 fumbles over the last 2 years. It's a concern. Most just seem to pop out. 

Maybe he's got what Brian Campbell had. Excessive sweating. His arms are might be drenched in sweat. Maybe Brian Campbell can help him. 

Reminds me of Ray Bourque.

His gloves would get so wet with sweat he had to use a new pair for each period.

He also did the trick of putting baby powder in them to try and keep them dry.