You're facing the Buffalo Bills in the 2020 playoffs...what's your game plan?

eball

6 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Probably do what the Giants did to the Bills offense in the super bowl. Force the Bills to run the football at all cost and keep the game close. If Indy can force 1 or 2 turnovers they might be able to pull it off.

If we don’t play the Ravens this will be the best defense that we will probably see the rest of the way.

This is what kinda worries me. Deja vu with the Colts rookie RB Jonathan Taylor having a field day while the Bills D line is scrambling to stop him. The Bills get behind in points and Allen gets flustered / hero ball and its the 1990 SB all over again. 

That 90's game, the Bills should have ran Thurman Thomas much more and worn out their defense. The NY Giants 39 runs and 25 for Buffalo. It was that Bills run game all season that got them to the big dance. The Bills coaches must have missed what the Giants had done to the 49ers / Joe Montana the last game they played. 

Then again. this season it's all about Allen to Diggs and I just don't see the Colts or any other team stopping those two! Or, for that matter Beasley, Brown, McKenzie, Davis, Singletary. 

13 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  If Pittsburgh's own offense was able to get it's head out of its arse in the first half that game looks way different.  FWIW, the Bills were down 0-3 after the first quarter last Sunday against Miami, had an INT and 2 punts and a grand total of like 42 yards of offense.  They mess around on Saturday and do that and Indy goes up 14 zip while running the ball down their throat and with Rivers hitting play action to TY and Pittman and lots of sphincters will be puckering.

One thing I am legit worried about is the Bills coming out too amped up because there will be some people there for the first time. They don't need to do anything different, they just need to play the way they've played.

Bills D ranks 2nd in the NFL at fewest 1st half points allowed at 9.1.  Bills O ranks 2nd at 1st half points scored at 16.6.  #1 is Green Bay.  I would expect a first half very similar to the Colts/Green Bay game where they went into halftime down 28-14, except worse, more like 28-10.  Bills aren't going to be held to 3 points in the second half tho. I see something like 41-20 or maybe 41-27 but the last Indy score comes in garbage time with the game already decided.

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Bills D ranks 2nd in the NFL at fewest 1st half points allowed at 9.1.  Bills O ranks 2nd at 1st half points scored at 16.6.  #1 is Green Bay.  I would expect a first half very similar to the Colts/Green Bay game where they went into halftime down 28-14, except worse, more like 28-10.  Bills aren't going to be held to 3 points in the second half tho.

I would love to see that.  The point of the thread was to ask what you would do to stop them.  The Colts aren't just going to refuse to take the field so the exercise we are attempting to entertain is thinking through what they might actually do not to come up with reasons why everything they might try won't be successful. There are other threads for that.

Game plan for playing the Bills.  My advice to Colts players, get you’re vacation plans set in whatever island you’re going to in dealing with the grief of the loss.

Colts are a good team, but I don’t see a scenario outside of a ton of turnovers by the Bills on fluke plays that allows them to win.  Josh has played great against man coverage, he has demonstrated week in and out he can play zone.  Blitz him and he beats it, play back and we overload with WR targets and we beat them there.

The only way the win is keeping up scoring.  In the AFC, there is only 1 team that can go toe to toe scoring (Chiefs).

3 hours ago, TPS said:

As I posted in the prediction thread, I think Reich pulls a Parcells-Belichick from the Bills first Super Bowl.  Ball control to keep Bills O off the field. INdy has the run game to do that.  The Bills O needs to start hot and score early to force them out of it. 

i agree

ball control

get TDs and force then into FGs

The primary goal is to keep the Bills O off the field. How do you do that?

1. Run the ball effectively is the #1 objective.

2. Sustain drives and convert 3rd downs.

On Defense you need to try to confuse Allen. I would run primarily zone and disguise my blitzes. You force Allen to make the short passes and hope he gets careless. 

You hope for a 24-21 victory...

On offense, I think Indie needs to take advantage of Taylor rushing and get him and Hines involved in the screen game too. Try to control the clock. Use the size advantage of Pittman and Cox/Doyle to dink and dunk and take the occasional deep shot and play action to go downfield to Hilton and Pascal to keep the defense honest.  

On defense, I'd have Leonard spying Allen to keep him in check and sending him on blitzes. Buckner and Houston have to generate consistent pressure and I run a lot of zone coverage and 4-5 db sets to keep Buffalo's WR's in front as much as possible. Make them beat you with the run. 

On Special Teams, just work the field position game.  Punt to the sidelines, out of bounds as much as possible to limit Roberts and limit KO returns. 

The overall game plan would be to keep the Bills off balance as much as possible, try to run it down their throats and when we sneak up, take downfield shots.  

Will it work?  NOT IN BILLS COUNTRY... GO BILLS

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The thing about running the ball and draining the clock only works if you score.    The Bills dont need a lot of time to score points, so all you're doing is putting yourself at a disadvantage.   That said, I dont think the Colts need to be a different team, and I wouldnt try to get in a boat race with the Bills.  

I would play my game, and try to punch the ball out anytime I got near Josh.   The Colts need to cause turnovers to beat the Bills.     If you get Josh flustered it can go down hill in a hurry.

It only works if you score AND keep the opposing team out of the end zone. The Giants were able to hold the Bills to just 3 scoring drives. Is there any defense on the league that can do that to the Bills right now? 

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

It only works if you score AND keep the opposing team out of the end zone. The Giants were able to hold the Bills to just 3 scoring drives. Is there any defense on the league that can do that to the Bills right now? 

No because the league was a lot different then, and the Colts are a good, not great defense and don't have multiple HOF caliber players on it.  The Bills WR were getting hit all game long all over the field.  Do that now and you are just going to get flag after flag on defense.

Some of the best defensive minds in the NFL have tried and failed this year, and mostly failed miserably:

Staley

Saleh

Fangio

Bellichick

Tomlin(worked for 3/4 of the 1st half until the Bills stopped letting Heyward wreck the gameplan)

Flores/Boyer

Good luck.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

On offense, I think Indie needs to take advantage of Taylor rushing and get him and Hines involved in the screen game too. Try to control the clock. Use the size advantage of Pittman and Cox/Doyle to dink and dunk and take the occasional deep shot and play action to go downfield to Hilton and Pascal to keep the defense honest.  

On defense, I'd have Leonard spying Allen to keep him in check and sending him on blitzes. Buckner and Houston have to generate consistent pressure and I run a lot of zone coverage and 4-5 db sets to keep Buffalo's WR's in front as much as possible. Make them beat you with the run. 

On Special Teams, just work the field position game.  Punt to the sidelines, out of bounds as much as possible to limit Roberts and limit KO returns. 

The overall game plan would be to keep the Bills off balance as much as possible, try to run it down their throats and when we sneak up, take downfield shots.  

Will it work?  NOT IN BILLS COUNTRY... GO BILLS

I don't think it works either.  If you watched the Colts game against the Jags with everything on the line you wouldn't be worried about anything.   A late TD made the score look lopsided but Jacksonville hung in through the game until close to the end.  Sure they have a good ground game and I'm sure the Colts will play better but if the Bills bring their killer instinct to the game we'll be moving to the next round when the game is over.  Superior talent playing to its potential cannot be beaten.

• Like (+1) 1

Have to get pressure on Allen and force him into bad decisions. Buckner is the key. You have to confuse Allen by disguising coverages and schemes. Double cover Diggs at all times and take your poison from the other receivers. Don't worry about the run game or even Allen running it. Probably won't work for more than a half at best.

On offense you need to keep the defense on their heels by mixing it up. Use trick plays, screens, and pound the rock. Sustain long drives to keep the ball away from Allen.

I don't see the Colts winning.

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

If there is I would say the Ravens and Colts would be the only 2 teams with even a small chance of executing it.

On 1/6/2021 at 8:31 AM, TPS said:

As I posted in the prediction thread, I think Reich pulls a Parcells-Belichick from the Bills first Super Bowl.  Ball control to keep Bills O off the field. INdy has the run game to do that.  The Bills O needs to start hot and score early to force them out of it. 

You do a Bills-Giants defense instructing defense smash WRs even if it is early and get penalties,  to lie on top of defenders as much as possible to let defense get rest and hold as much as you can get away with.