Update: Beasley Out for Miami game. Beasley Injury Thread

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree totally with this. It was debated in the shoutbox last night too and there are those who say "we don't need a better backup because if Josh goes down the season is dead anyway." I mean I don't disagree if Josh misses any length of time that is likely true - as it is for a lot of teams - but the idea that you don't still try to upgrade at least within the budget you are currently spending on the position is asinine to me. People talk about a backup who could hold the team together for 2 games if needs be.... Barkley couldn't hold them together for two Quarters... we would be a mess instantly. He is a bottom of the barrel backup who came in and helped get a starting wideout hurt. 

Part of the problem with Bills fans and Barkley is that his Bills debut was his career day. That sticks in a lot of minds. But go watch film on him from any of his other NFL outings. That game against the Jets in 2018 does not represent who Matt Barkley is as an NFL Quarterback. That is his best game. The rest is putrid. 

Quick question - Head Coach and Front Office do any evaluation on who is the backup QB? Seems like we all love the front office, coaching staff and their decision making. SO Barkley is a miss by the FO and HC? 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Quick question - Head Coach and Front Office do any evaluation on who is the backup QB? Seems like we all love the front office, coaching staff and their decision making. SO Barkley is a miss by the FO and HC? 

Well remember they tried the corpse of Derek Anderson's career before signing Barkley off the street. He came in, played well in his one start, and then was considered a really good influence on a young Josh Allen in the room. They are friends and they get on and while they were still in the "developing" Josh phase it sort of made sense to stick with that and frankly records were less important. I was perfectly content with him as the backup in 2019 for those reasons even though I knew he was not a good player. I said this past offseason however that we were now in a different phase. I now want the best backup we can get for that $2-2.5m a year price tag and I don't think it is Matt Barkley. 

So in summary, a good find off the scrap heap who served a purpose early but who in my mind has been held onto a year too long. Will be very interested to see if they bring him back. Barkley might well be playing for a job on Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well remember they tried the corpse of Derek Anderson's career before signing Barkley off the street. He came in, played well in his one start, and then was considered a really good influence on a young Josh Allen in the room. They are friends and they get on and while they were still in the "developing" Josh phase it sort of made sense to stick with that and frankly records were less important. I was perfectly content with him as the backup in 2019 for those reasons even though I knew he was not a good player. I said this past offseason however that we were now in a different phase. I now want the best backup we can get for that $2-2.5m a year price tag and I don't think it is Matt Barkley. 

So in summary, a good find off the scrap heap who served a purpose early but who in my mind has been held onto a year too long. Will be very interested to see if they bring him back. Barkley might well be playing for a job on Sunday. 

With Barkley's contract expiring, the Covid cap ramifications across the league and our status as a young ascending team I have to believe they will find someone else who is close to what you're mentioning here. I'll be disappointed if they re-sign Barkley.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree, Barkley serves and has served very well as another resource/mentor for Josh.  Great friends, in addition, and when you have someone you trust to bounce ideas, it definitely helps.  

As for this year, Allen took the leap the team was hoping for, but it wasn't guaranteed and they didn't want to disrupt that development/consistency (on top of all that, COVID has had a major impact obviously on all training camp/pre season). 

Now next season, I think the time is right to evaluate available backup.options (Fromm might be ready, ideal situation, or they look to other FAs).

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Emphasis on not being a doc...but I did tear meniscus this way and have fair amount of experience. Plus I was a trainer in an earlier life.

Also, my view emerges not just fr vid, but also how they are dealing w this (what little we know).

Anyway, re vid: when he plants L foot...hips are square thru his toe (though that doesn't per se mean knee is "straight") while he is trying to neutralize his momentum (i.e., slowing forward velocity).

Meanwhile, knee at perpendicular flexion (or extension, choose whichever), w upper body weight posterior to knee.

Result: meniscus is doing it's job--shock absorbing and distributing load--but that load is huge in this position. Logically, chance for injury higher.

Note: obviously, no idea if it's lateral or medial, stable (horizontal) tear, or even any injury at all!!

I've had a couple of so-called flap tears, aside from ACLs. When "flap" is "in place", it's not bad actually. But when it "shifts" there's pain (not awful) and knee catches/swells. Does require surgery, but not big deal.

Please don't flame me! Just trying to bring semi-semi (did I note "semi"?) informed view.

Awkward play, takes a large plant step on his leg leg, as his right leg is coming through his toe catches, he stumbles, then it appears his left heel gets stepped on from behind, it looks like there is where he lifts his foot up in a pain reaction.

He goes to stand up, must push off his right knee and his left left/foot was folded under and not straight. 

McDermott says leg, not knee, Brown calls it a foot injury on OBL, but the trainers were looking at knee on the bench.

No idea. If it’s meniscus you’d think that happened on the large plant step.

Davis Webb seems loved by the team and reportedly does a lot on the PS.   I’m fine keeping him around.  

Barkley... love the guy as a human being, but we should move on and bring in a guy for Fromm to compete with next year for backup QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Awkward play, takes a large plant step on his leg leg, as his right leg is coming through his toe catches, he stumbles, then it appears his left heel gets stepped on from behind, it looks like there is where he lifts his foot up in a pain reaction.

He goes to stand up, must push off his right knee and his left left/foot was folded under and not straight. 

McDermott says leg, not knee, Brown calls it a foot injury on OBL, but the trainers were looking at knee on the bench.

No idea. If it’s meniscus you’d think that happened on the large plant step.

Copy all Straight, good discussion...Med conference part trois (promise last one):

From tape, IMV, he clearly has a withdrawal reflex immediately after L leg hard plant, as one sees the (unconscious) effort to de-load, along w slight ankle/lower leg adduction.

This is the body protecting itself for the last gazillion years. Example: hit yourself in the leg/arm w a hammer. Does the limb fling out? No, you automatically draw inwards toward the thick, protected part of the "shell".

For someone his height, a very rough calculation is that this cycle would take about 3/100th of a second... which would happen before other kinetic activity described.

Possible also that this is a double whammy?Knee, then stepped on??

I'm wind spitting here.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Nice well reasoned response. Thanks it has opened my eyes and I agree with your assessment. Now the question begs who is that QB?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree totally with this. It was debated in the shoutbox last night too and there are those who say "we don't need a better backup because if Josh goes down the season is dead anyway." I mean I don't disagree if Josh misses any length of time that is likely true - as it is for a lot of teams - but the idea that you don't still try to upgrade at least within the budget you are currently spending on the position is asinine to me. People talk about a backup who could hold the team together for 2 games if needs be.... Barkley couldn't hold them together for two Quarters... we would be a mess instantly. He is a bottom of the barrel backup who came in and helped get a starting wideout hurt. 

Part of the problem with Bills fans and Barkley is that his Bills debut was his career day. That sticks in a lot of minds. But go watch film on him from any of his other NFL outings. That game against the Jets in 2018 does not represent who Matt Barkley is as an NFL Quarterback. That is his best game. The rest is putrid. 

I think we need to have a guy that can help us go .500 if Allen is out...like if Allen is out for 6 games can the backup go 3 and 3? Because in any given year going 3 and 3 in this scenario versus 0-6 or 1-5 could be the difference between making the playoffs or not...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rubes said:

Wait, are you saying Beasley should get a Brazilian?

You're assuming he doesn't already?!?!  👙

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree, Barkley serves and has served very well as another resource/mentor for Josh.  Great friends, in addition, and when you have someone you trust to bounce ideas, it definitely helps.  

As for this year, Allen took the leap the team was hoping for, but it wasn't guaranteed and they didn't want to disrupt that development/consistency (on top of all that, COVID has had a major impact obviously on all training camp/pre season). 

Now next season, I think the time is right to evaluate available backup.options (Fromm might be ready, ideal situation, or they look to other FAs).

I think you make a great point. The Kelly/Reich relationship was a big factor in the success during the SB years. Having someone that you're close to and understand the game you play is very important. 

1 hour ago, Dukestreetking said:

Copy all Straight, good discussion...Med conference part trois (promise last one):

From tape, IMV, he clearly has a withdrawal reflex immediately after L leg hard plant, as one sees the (unconscious) effort to de-load, along w slight ankle/lower leg adduction.

This is the body protecting itself for the last gazillion years. Example: hit yourself in the leg/arm w a hammer. Does the limb fling out? No, you automatically draw inwards toward the thick, protected part of the "shell".

For someone his height, a very rough calculation is that this cycle would take about 3/100th of a second... which would happen before other kinetic activity described.

Possible also that this is a double whammy?Knee, then stepped on??

I'm wind spitting here.

So you’re saying it’s his spleen then?

1 minute ago, Lagoon Blues said:

Thats damn good news right there in my opinion.  Was starting to think it was going to be much worse...season ending kind of thing.

I'm not that optimistic about it. It could just be the guys trying to be positive about a bad situation. Without knowing what the injury is it's impossible to tell. 

But hopefully a good sign. 

True.  I am in an odd position and I don't know how to handle it.  I am not an optimist...but this team has me questioning. ha

Just now, Lagoon Blues said:

True.  I am in an odd position and I don't know how to handle it.  I am not an optimist...but this team has me questioning. ha  It feels weird.

Dr Chao, the former team doctor of the Chargers, and a great follow on twitter to keep up with injury news says likely a foot sprain and should be good to go for playoffs.

He doesn't bat 100%, but hes usually spot on, so I took that as good news.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1