How the Allen narrative has changed.....

Billsfan1972

You saw today that they still made some references to years 1-2, but no longer is it wondering if he will regress, but just how friggin  good he is.

That TD called back handoff to Singletary had the announcers shaking their heads in disbelief, along with the then 22 yard strike to Kumerow......

Interesting too that Diggs made a bad play along the sidelines on a 40 yard pass and acknowledged it too, then a 55 yard strike.

So much fun to watch.  I swear they're trying to make up for 2017-2019 on offense.😜 

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Obviously I'm biased and don't spend a ton of time researching other teams QBs, but the progress Josh has made is phenomenal. I think adding a #1 like Diggs is a huge part of that, so hats off to Bean as well.

They might have one of those two-minds-as-one connections.  Like Brady and Welker.  Montana and Rice.  Jim and André.  On one of his sideline catches, Josh made the throw before Diggs had even made his cut.  It was absurd and impossible to defend.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

That TD run that didn't count with on the reverse handoff was amazing had it counted it would be all over media...btw tick tack holding call on that play

I was almost pissed they ran that play against the Broncos in this game. They should have saved it for the playoffs 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was almost pissed they ran that play against the Broncos in this game. They should have saved it for the playoffs 

I do agree with this to a point ...still good to get on film that teams need to be aware of could have some nice benefits

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I actually like that we've put so much on tape this year. Good luck to DCs trying to game plan around our offense inside the 10. Cross your fingers and hope a penalty takes away our inevitable touchdown because there's no way you can prepare for everything we have.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I actually like that we've put so much on tape this year. Good luck to DCs trying to game plan around our offense inside the 10. Cross your fingers and hope a penalty takes away our inevitable touchdown because there's no way you can prepare for everything we have.

Probably the beat thing that daboll does. He puts things in games early in the season and builds off them

Teams absolutely freak out when they see McKenzie check into the game in the red zone, which allowed the statue of liberty play to work so well

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I agree in general for sure. And he’s been not only designing, practicing and calling them at the right time, but setting them up in earlier games and series. 

That is a unique once a year play though. A touchdown play. 

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree in general for sure. And he’s been not only designing, practicing and calling them at the right time, but setting them up in earlier games and series. 

That is a unique once a year play though. A touchdown play. 

I think we will see a variation on it in one of the playoff games. This time Josh will either throw it after the double fake, or run it in himself. ;)

It was one of the best plays in a game full of exceptional ones, and was negated by the ticky tack hold on Boettger. TBH, my first impressions were that it wasn't even a hold, but after seeing it again a couple of times, you do see some jersey movement. Unfortunately it happened right in front of a Zebra, who probably saw it because he didn't know where the football was. ;)

10 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Obviously I'm biased and don't spend a ton of time researching other teams QBs, but the progress Josh has made is phenomenal. I think adding a #1 like Diggs is a huge part of that, so hats off to Bean as well.

Analytics people will say it's the greatest progress in NFL history. 

Allen will be used as the blueprint for teams, fans, and media. It's fun to see. 

11 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

This O Line loves their Franchise QB and blocks their collective guts out for him so he can unleash his awesomeness  :)

Diggs was a huge aquisition and honestly didn't think he would re write the record book in year 1...I thought maybe year 2 ;)

I loved that trade from day one 

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I am sure Daboll has a bag full of gadget plays set aside for the playoffs :)

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Analytics people will say it's the greatest progress in NFL history. 

Allen will be used as the blueprint for teams, fans, and media. It's fun to see. 

Where is anyone else going to find a 6'5" 240lb QB with a Lightning bolt arm that runs like a gazzelle and has the mentality of a linebacker?

We as a fan base have waited 25 years for this franchise QB to land in our laps.

I love how the last couple of defences( 9ers Steelers)  have said they knew what the Bills would do ....they just couldn't stop it.

5 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Where is anyone else going to find a 6'5" 240lb QB with a Lightning bolt arm that runs like a gazzelle and has the mentality of a linebacker?

We as a fan base have waited 25 years for this franchise QB to land in our laps.

I love how the last couple of defences( 9ers Steelers)  have said they knew what the Bills would do ....they just couldn't stop it.

And the humility to realize he still has a lot to learn, a desire to learn it and work ethic to achieve it?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It’s funny how they’re trying to push the agenda that they didn’t miss anything from his first two seasons. The sudden improvement happened magically this season because he suddenly changed his throw and stance. 

Anyone actually watching the games could tell you he was growing leaps and bounds every week.  Sure he’d get a little heroic early on but it was because he had to. Now with the addition of Diggs and the oline playing far better you’re seeing what he’s capable of. 

People missed the boat on his progress and are now making excuses how they could be so wrong. 

I didnt want to draft Allen, in fact I was fiercely opposed to the Bills taking him. But I and many other bills fans could see the writing in the wall early on if they were paying attention. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

There's a big strong armed QB that can run in every draft. Rarely do they become what Allen has become. Even more rare do they actually change narratives after their rookie seasons. 

Last years Allen IMO is what I believed his cieling would be after watching him his rookie season. Inconsistent passer but able to make plays out of the pocket and running. What he became this year is a lethal intermediate passer from the pocket who also makes plays out of the pocket and running. Basically it's unstoppable. 

Just now, Bobby Hooks said:

It’s funny how they’re trying to push the agenda that they didn’t miss anything from his first two seasons. The sudden improvement happened magically this season because he suddenly changed his throw and stance. 

Anyone actually watching the games could tell you he was growing leaps and bounds every week.  Sure he’d get a little heroic early on but it was because he had to. 

People missed the boat on his progress and are now making excuses how they could be so wrong. 

I didnt want to draft Allen, in fact I was fiercely opposed to the Bills taking him. But I and many other bills fans could see the writing in the wall early on if they were paying attention. 

It's not just the accuracy. His processing speed has improved dramatically. Everything has slowed down around him and he's making the right decisions quickly. He's actually improving as this year goes on also. He's seeing things faster and faster. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think Herbert might be the closest to Allen in terms of size and talent.

But can he survive the kaos in that Chargers franchise....new coach probably a new OC ect?

Josh has had stability here.....lets hope it continues with Daboll realising he is in a great situation here.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There's a big strong armed QB that can run in every draft. Rarely do they become what Allen has become. Even more rare do they actually change narratives after their rookie seasons. 

Last years Allen IMO is what I believed his cieling would be after watching him his rookie season. Inconsistent passer but able to make plays out of the pocket and running. What he became this year is a lethal intermediate passer from the pocket who also makes plays out of the pocket and running. Basically it's unstoppable. 

It's not just the accuracy. His processing speed has improved dramatically. Everything has slowed down around him and he's making the right decisions quickly. He's actually improving as this year goes on also. He's seeing things faster and faster. 

Agreed. 

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You saw today that they still made some references to years 1-2, but no longer is it wondering if he will regress, but just how friggin  good he is.

That TD called back handoff to Singletary had the announcers shaking their heads in disbelief, along with the then 22 yard strike to Kumerow......

Interesting too that Diggs made a bad play along the sidelines on a 40 yard pass and acknowledged it too, then a 55 yard strike.

So much fun to watch.  I swear they're trying to make up for 2017-2019 on offense.😜 

The refs still hate us, taking away 3 touchdowns on tickytak calls is ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

But can he survive the kaos in that Chargers franchise....new coach probably a new OC ect?

Josh has had stability here.....lets hope it continues with Daboll realising he is in a great situation here.

Daboll and Herbert could be a scary combo....

33 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Remember we were the bailout for our last franchise QB.  Opted for the defunct league before the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Herbert landed in a great situation in LA, at least as far as offensive talent around him.  Having Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, Hunter Henry and Ekeler as your weapons, plus a good OL, is a great way to start off.  Contrast that with what Josh had in 2018...

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Herbert landed in a great situation in LA, at least as far as offensive talent around him.  Having Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, Hunter Henry and Ekeler as your weapons, plus a good OL, is a great way to start off.  Contrast that with what Josh had in 2018...

And that is the point, the Bills made no attempt to help Allen year one & minimal year two.  They were too concerned on the other side of the ball and were slow in developing and giving Allen any weapons  (remember there were none in 2017 either).  The O was predictable and made only baby steps.

Yes Allen improved, but more so the light was turned on & McD has finally understood Offense is he key to success.

Again look how far ahead young QB's where there is an emphasis on Offense are v. those that think ground & pound is the way to go.

Throw them in to the fray and let them sink or swim.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Anyone actually watching the games could tell you he was growing leaps and bounds every week.  Sure he’d get a little heroic early on but it was because he had to. Now with the addition of Diggs and the oline playing far better you’re seeing what he’s capable of. 

That drives me crazy to.  Almost every non Western NY review of Allen babbles on about him sucking his first two years and then magically is great in his third.  It's lazy and shows they don't have a clue at what they're talking about.  The Allen progression can be broken down into 6 segments:

Segment 1: Thrown to the wolves in game 2 of 2018.  Bad offense combined with Allen being raw and not getting many snaps with the 1st team in preseason.  Sure he struggled big time with head scratching throws & decisions but he also flashed brilliant like with the Vikings game.

Segment 2:  After he came back from his injury he dazzled with his running game and started making those signature Allen super throws.  Bills won 3 games and though Allen still struggled at times he also shined. Clear improvement from the 1st segment.

Segment 3:  The first 3 games of 2019 saw Allen much improved at reading coverages and throwing the ball around. But still he was to careless with the ball and a disastrous NE game made us wonder.

Segment 4:  After the NE game Allen elevated his QB play significantly and helped the Bills clinch a playoff spot with 2 games left in the season.  Had an okay game in the playoffs.  Clearly the improvement of Allen from the first half of 2018 to the end of 2019 was as big as his jump this year.  At the end of last season there was no doubt Allen could function as a pocket passing QB that could read defenses.  Now the only question was how high was up?

Segment 5:  We saw how high was  up through the first 4 games this season as Allen shredded defenses and piled up stats. Then Allen got dinged up and faced back to back playoff caliber teams that adjusted how you defended Allen and he struggled for a couple of weeks.

Segment 6:  Allen got healthy and adjusted his own play to match the new reality of how defenses would play the Bills.  He added patience to his resume and he is now playing better QB then he was at the start of the season.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Yep that is the narrative certain media members are trying to push. They were right all along and Bills fans were overly optimistic, we just got lucky that Allen is a unicorn. But that completely ignores that he has gotten better at every stage of his career. If you break down every season into halves he has basically played 6 half seasons in his pro career, and every half has been better than the last. It was never a sure thing that Allen would become this good but certain people acted like it was impossible that he would keep improving. The most ridiculous take I've seen is that "professional QBs are never better than they were in college" which is just completely untrue and I don't know where it came from.

Biggest thing Allen has improved on is the basic plays. The falling over 3rd down completion to Diggs or the rocket TD to Kumerow I almost take for granted now. I expect that from him. The really impressive stuff is when he pump fakes the MLB to give Beasley an extra half second to come open across the middle and then delivers a perfect ball that lets Beasley continue to pick up yards after catch, or throws a perfect swing pass to the RB to pick up 5 easy yards on 1st down. Those are the plays people thought he would struggle with but he's worked his ass off to put it all together and now he's the total package. When you combine the type of play that Brady killed us with for years with Allen's elite physical skills you create an unstoppable QB.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And that is the point, the Bills made no attempt to help Allen year one & minimal year two.  They were too concerned on the other side of the ball and were slow in developing and giving Allen any weapons  (remember there were none in 2017 either).  The O was predictable and made only baby steps.

Yes Allen improved, but more so the light was turned on & McD has finally understood Offense is he key to success.

Again look how far ahead young QB's where there is an emphasis on Offense are v. those that think ground & pound is the way to go.

Throw them in to the fray and let them sink or swim.

Well, to be fair, in 2018, they had a ton of dead money.  Plus Wood retired, and then Ritchie went crazy after the draft, making the OL a mess.