This is a good test for Allen

Ramza86

I think the game plan for Sunday night will be a throw back to the last couple of years with designed runs for Josh and a game plan that gives him the green light to tuck the ball and take off if the safeties turn their backs on him.  Use pre-snap motion to manipulate the defense and open up lanes for Josh to run. Jet sweep to the right and have Josh sneak out to the left.  Run away from the side of the field TJ Watt is lining up on and see if their backup LBs can contain Josh.  He doesn't need to run for 20 yards.  He can break the Steeler's back with repeated 6-8 yard runs.  If they start to spy Josh that's when Daboll should dial up a down the field shot.  I expect Josh to rush for 75+ yards Sunday.  Josh's legs will be the X-factor this week if the weather is as bad as predicted.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Rainy or snowy and windy night. A Steeler D that leads the league in sacks. Gets alot of pressures. 

Im one to believe this is the type of game that QBs just dont look good in. 

If Allen can beat the elements, a wet ball and that Steeler pressure and have another "player of the week" performance....then I believe he will be worth top 3 money and we would pay it in an instant. 

Actually there will be none of that weather wise.

It is supposed to have a chance of rain and be windy in the morning. By kickoff at 8pm it will be cloudy with a 5% chance of rain and winds under 10mph.

12 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I disagree on your basic premise here.  Allen is beyond having a single game define him unless that game is a conference championship or the Super Bowl.

Allen has convinced me he is the Bills franchise QB and is a top 5 talent.  But that doesn't mean he won't lay an egg and play terribly.  Aaron Rogers is a top 5 guy and played horribly against Tampa Bay.

I hope Allen plays great Sunday night but even more I hope we win.  But if Allen stumbles so be it.  Won't change my belief in the least that he's a top 5 QB.

I agree hes going to get paid regardless what happens. 

But he needs to show us he can win against pressure, outdoors in the elements. 

This team will be seeing a lot of outdoor games in January for the next 10 years. 

Allen has to show he can be just as comfortable as he is indoors

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I doubt he gets more than Mahomes without a Championship. If the Bills win the Superbowl this season, or I suppose if the cap does sink to $175m and they decide to hold off on extending Allen for a year then if the Bills win the Superbowl next season, then I would think he becomes the highest paid. 

He is definitely getting top 3 money though. Allen is the only possible extension guy this offseason who is gonna go into that spot. I think the Bills would love to slide Allen right in between Wilson and Watson... somewhere around $37m per year but with a big chunk of signing bonus to be paid immediately to get him to leave some yearly average on the table. Allen's side I imagine starts their negotiation right between Mahomes and Watson at about $42m per year.

Of course if we win a Superbowl before he signs it then all bets are off and Allen's side are likely asking to be paid more than Pat. 

If as has been rumoured the past week the NFL is gonna go for a stagnant cap in 2021 I think the Allen deal will get done this offseason. If the cap comes down however they probably wait.

Mahomes deal isn’t what it appears to be. Yes, front loaded and huge signing bonus, but KC can get out of it much earlier than the 10 years with little $$ impact, should they chose to. I expect somewhat close to the same creativity in Josh’s deal -perhaps even with ties to PSE side deals.

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think the game plan for Sunday night will be a throw back to the last couple of years with designed runs for Josh and a game plan that gives him the green light to tuck the ball and take off if the safeties turn their backs on him.  Use pre-snap motion to manipulate the defense and open up lanes for Josh to run. Jet sweep to the right and have Josh sneak out to the left.  Run away from the side of the field TJ Watt is lining up on and see if their backup LBs can contain Josh.  He doesn't need to run for 20 yards.  He can break the Steeler's back with repeated 6-8 yard runs.  If they start to spy Josh that's when Daboll should dial up a down the field shot.  I expect Josh to rush for 75+ yards Sunday.  Josh's legs will be the X-factor this week if the weather is as bad as predicted.

Then I think you’re gonna be disappointed. I think/HOPE those days are done. He Can do it and every teams knows it. Just being in their heads about the possibility is an advantage his body doesn’t have to pay the transport fees for going forward.

13 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Rainy or snowy and windy night.

The forecast has gotten better in the past 3 days.

image.thumb.png.1d2f1dbdd01e53cadd4bc3acd804c428.png

12 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Only to the talking heads he does

They LOVE when he plays well..........

David Byrne Talking Heads GIF - DavidByrne TalkingHeads Dancing - Discover  & Share GIFs

7 hours ago, billybob71 said:

but also pilot one of the jets in the pre game fly over.

What would his callsign be?

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Beane and Co will be deciding on Allen's worth by one game

If nothing else, Daboll has made it clear that he expects Allen to execute the game plan he's given.  If the game plan calls for running 38 times and passing 18 times, that's what Daboll expects.  If that results in 11 of 18 for 157 yds and no TDs and we win while the talking heads be all "see last week was a fluke, he's not that good" Daboll and Allen be all "Boo *****in Hoo"

Agreed.   The Pats win was textbook execution against what they were allowing and win the damn game.   

As we all know, National media and the League decided many years ago to focus on individuals to market and create controversy (and therefore interest) around, rather than teams hence the hype on QBs.   We don't need to buy into it.   It's the ultimate team game.  So let's not.  

Every week is a good test for Allen.  His reputation is on the line nationally more than any other QB seemingly.  I'd imagined he learned a lot about playing the Eelers from last year's game.  This is all seasoning for a playoff run.  My favorite quote from Allen in the Jac Collingsworth interview was when he said he saw the play before it happened.  That is next level.  This kid is rounding into shape.  These tough games will all benefit the Bills in the long run.  I like that Miami is dogging them too.  Keeps the focus up.

14 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Thats it. Thats the final test. If he can look sharp Sunday night and toy with the Steelers D hes at a superbowl mvp level. 

It seems every week is a "test" for Josh - it never ends.  Last week it was a tough SF D, next week it will be a Fangio D in a high altitude.  He has arrived, no more in season tests required.

The real test is winning a playoff game.

7 hours ago, Sweats said:

Quick slants and JA getting the ball out in under 2 seconds will be the key in this one.....can the Oline hold up?

Stay tuned,folks....were all in for one hell of a ride.

Having Hayden and Spillane out is really going to help our wr's get open.

The defenses that have been most effective holding Josh to under 20 points have done it by getting home quickly with the pass rush while clogging his escape lanes AND holding tight coverage so there's no one to throw to. 

Pitt can do that with their pass rush, but can they keep blanket coverage? Josh had been really good against the blitz this year bc most of those teams can't cover effectively when they send it. 

This is going to be a good test, not stupid fan test of franchisness, but a test of Josh and Daboll's ability to beat elite defenses. 

28 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I really hope they have Allen rolling to his right alot. This seemed to kill the 9ers defense last week and Allen seems to make alot of plays when he does this. Keep the defense guessing, don't just keep Allen in the pocket 

I imagine the Steelers will be trying hard to force Allen to roll to his L

17 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Rainy or snowy and windy night. A Steeler D that leads the league in sacks. Gets alot of pressures. 

Im one to believe this is the type of game that QBs just dont look good in. 

If Allen can beat the elements, a wet ball and that Steeler pressure and have another "player of the week" performance....then I believe he will be worth top 3 money and we would pay it in an instant. 

Weather actually doesn't look that bad as of now from what I can see. 

Just confirmed. Weather has improved.  

Near freezing but no rain or snow and only 11mph winds.  

He will be able to do what he does.