This is a good test for Allen

Ramza86

Rainy or snowy and windy night. A Steeler D that leads the league in sacks. Gets alot of pressures. 

Im one to believe this is the type of game that QBs just dont look good in. 

If Allen can beat the elements, a wet ball and that Steeler pressure and have another "player of the week" performance....then I believe he will be worth top 3 money and we would pay it in an instant. 

The Bills ability to handle blitz pressure and to give Allen time to make decisions will be  important. They need to keep Watt from taking over the game. Strip sacks or rushed throws into coverage could be killers. I sure as hell expect the Steelers to not sit back like the Niners did. To me though, it's about leading a team to wins. If Allen can do that, I don't care how many yards, tds he throws etc. 

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 6

I disagree on your basic premise here.  Allen is beyond having a single game define him unless that game is a conference championship or the Super Bowl.

Allen has convinced me he is the Bills franchise QB and is a top 5 talent.  But that doesn't mean he won't lay an egg and play terribly.  Aaron Rogers is a top 5 guy and played horribly against Tampa Bay.

I hope Allen plays great Sunday night but even more I hope we win.  But if Allen stumbles so be it.  Won't change my belief in the least that he's a top 5 QB.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

These types of games aren't about looking good it's about winning. The next step for Allen is team success. Division titles, playoff wins. You have to win these late season big games to have team success. 

1 minute ago, Magox said:

Allen doesn’t need this game to prove that he’s an elite player. 

This one helps. There will be more though so his career won't be defined by this game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Rainy or snowy and windy night. A Steeler D that leads the league in sacks. Gets alot of pressures. 

If Allen can beat the elements, a wet ball and that Steeler pressure and have another "player of the week" performance....then I believe he will be worth top 3 money and we would pay it in an instant. 

So if Allen only throws for 200 and 1 TD, he won't be worth top money? 

and the apostrophe is your friend.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

I don't think Beane and Co will be deciding on Allen's worth by one game

If nothing else, Daboll has made it clear that he expects Allen to execute the game plan he's given.  If the game plan calls for running 38 times and passing 18 times, that's what Daboll expects.  If that results in 11 of 18 for 157 yds and no TDs and we win while the talking heads be all "see last week was a fluke, he's not that good" Daboll and Allen be all "Boo *****in Hoo"

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Beane and Co will be deciding on Allen's worth by one game

If nothing else, Daboll has made it clear that he expects Allen to execute the game plan he's given.  If the game plan calls for running 38 times and passing 18 times, that's what Daboll expects.  If that results in 11 of 18 for 157 yds and no TDs and we win while the talking heads be all "see last week was a fluke, he's not that good" Daboll and Allen be all "Boo *****in Hoo"

This is all that the media has been on about.  Josh had a bad week because he didn't light a team up.  Who cares as long as the team is winning and executing the game plan.

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

God I hope he can live up to your expectations!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Bro, I respectfully disagree.

JA has already proven himself and gets the benefit of the doubt when he plays a game that he struggles in. Every QB has games where they look average or stink up the joint.

If he struggles, he’s still one of the top QBs right now. If he plays well, it just reveals what we already know about him.

JA’s next hurdle is to play well in the playoffs. Those are the games that are now career defining for him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I am thinking it will be the same for the Steelers...........Ben vs Josh.....I like the younger guy to win.

3 hours ago, Magox said:

Allen doesn’t need this game to prove that he’s an elite player. 

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't have anything to do with proving anything. It's about elevating his play against really good defenses and winning tight games against the best teams. 

Allen doesn’t need to throw all game to play well.  He can still do so if we go more run-heavy.  

He has about 85% of the media declaring him elite... make no mistake, him playing well in this game will force the remaining 15% to our side.  

That doesn’t matter beyond perception, but for marketing & exposure, this is a big game. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

He's already worth top 3 money. Allen's going to be the highest paid player in the game when he gets his new deal, regardless of what happens vs the Steelers.

I doubt he gets more than Mahomes without a Championship. If the Bills win the Superbowl this season, or I suppose if the cap does sink to $175m and they decide to hold off on extending Allen for a year then if the Bills win the Superbowl next season, then I would think he becomes the highest paid. 

He is definitely getting top 3 money though. Allen is the only possible extension guy this offseason who is gonna go into that spot. I think the Bills would love to slide Allen right in between Wilson and Watson... somewhere around $37m per year but with a big chunk of signing bonus to be paid immediately to get him to leave some yearly average on the table. Allen's side I imagine starts their negotiation right between Mahomes and Watson at about $42m per year.

Of course if we win a Superbowl before he signs it then all bets are off and Allen's side are likely asking to be paid more than Pat. 

If as has been rumoured the past week the NFL is gonna go for a stagnant cap in 2021 I think the Allen deal will get done this offseason. If the cap comes down however they probably wait.