Would a win Sunday be the biggest win in recent memory?

3 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Probably Cincinnati beating the Ravens would top this. 

I've never understood the infatuation of this win. Sure, it was exciting, but overall,  the Ravens went 9-7 that season. 

Why are people only drooling over the BuNgLeS, yet none of the other teams that beat the Ravens that season? 

I mean, each loss dealt to the Ravens that season matters just as much as that last minute win by the BuNgLeS. 

In recent memory?  I think, yes! 

We don't go up against 11-1 teams very often with talk of #1/2 seeds a reality for us.  That being said, I'm sure the pundits will say, when we win, that Pitts schedule thus far has been one of the easiest in the NFL, and perhaps they weren't that good after all.  Is that too cynical a take?  

Anyway, we've had some big games and beat some good teams in recent memory, but this just feels different.  

Last year beating Dallas on Thanksgiving was pretty damn cool. We finally got some national attention. This year we beat the mighty Russ Seahawks and made their mvp look silly. Last week we watch the spread jump from -3 to + 1.5. Nobody liked us against the Niner defense.  After we dismantle the Steelers how can the remaining doubters possibly funtion? How do they sleep at night knowing they were all wrong about the kid from Wyoming......

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, thetaxicabdriver said:

If the bills beat Pitt on Sunday and get to within 1 game of the # 2 seed and 2 games within the #1 seed, could the argument be made that it would be the biggest win in the last 20 years? Beating the top team in the league, and really cementing their place in the AFC Hierarchy? What victories would y'all put ahead of it? 

I believe the bills have won enough of these games the past couple years that a regular season game isn’t considered the biggest anymore.  Don’t get me wrong, it will still be great if they win.

The opposite is true too. If they lose, they are still a dangerous team on the rise. I believe the biggest win in the last 20 years will come when we win a playoff game this year.

9 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

I've never understood the infatuation of this win. Sure, it was exciting, but overall,  the Ravens went 9-7 that season. 

Why are people only drooling over the BuNgLeS, yet none of the other teams that beat the Ravens that season? 

I mean, each loss dealt to the Ravens that season matters just as much as that last minute win by the BuNgLeS. 

How can you not see the drama?  The Bills win to take care of business. All eyes are on the Ravens game as it will decide if the drought ends.  The players are all together, eyes locked on the TV in the locker room. All of Buffalo watching and seeing a desperate situation. It looks hopeless. 4th and a mile. Dalton looks like he’s going to be sacked and it’s over. Then a miracle!  
You seriously don’t see the infatuation? It’s exactly why people are fanatical about sports. 

• Like (+1) 3

I can see that 17 straight years of losing (playoff droughts) has created a generation of Bills fans that are experiencing winning for the first time. 

The number of threads and questions on big wins, significant wins, signature wins, prime time wins, statement wins are growing - its important to beat good teams but this is mostly media stuff.  For winning teams every W is important, and the only W you focus on is the next one, never the last one.  The next game is the journey.  

Beating the Steelers Sunday will feel good and be a big story, and we will be very happy and feel good.  It will be something to build on.  But the next day a road win in Denver will become bigger to a team with higher aspirations, like getting the highest seed possible.  

Expectations of winning every game in the regular season must become the mindset for a successful team.   If not you run the risk of beating KC one week and then losing to the Jets the next.  You score that 1-1 either way.

Winning in the playoffs is truly significant because when you don’t you go home.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 2

A win on Sunday would be nice, but our expectation at this point should be for one or two regular season wins like this every year.  We should expect to win our share of games against the top echelon of the NFL.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

How can you not see the drama?  The Bills win to take care of business. All eyes are on the Ravens game as it will decide if the drought ends.  The players are all together, eyes locked on the TV in the locker room. All of Buffalo watching and seeing a desperate situation. It looks hopeless. 4th and a mile. Dalton looks like he’s going to be sacked and it’s over. Then a miracle!  
You seriously don’t see the infatuation? It’s exactly why people are fanatical about sports. 

I still occasionally watch clips of that play from time to time.  Probably the biggest play of my lifetime and it didn't even involve any Bills being on the field.

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

A win on Sunday would be nice, but our expectation at this point should be for one or two regular season wins like this every year.  We should expect to win our share of games against the top echelon of the NFL.

Well said. If they beat the Steelers, it’s signature quality is going to come more from HOW we beat them. If the Bills play (especially Josh) like they did against SF then there will be plenty of water cooler talk next week. If it’s just a normal Sunday game there won’t be much made of it anywhere, I don’t think anyone around the league really thinks the Steelers are the best team despite their record. 

there is backing in to the playoffs, depending on this team or that teams fate to determine whether you gain a post season position and then there is clinching a position.

been quite a while since buffalo could clinch a playoff berth and be in the top seed discussion in the afc.

so I would say a win sunday is big and could be the biggest win in recent memory along with making quite a statement heading in to the post season.

9-3, 4-0 in the division with another pats loss going in to week 14 and a possible statement game with the chance to *clinch (be nice to see that asterisk in the standings) a playoff berth.

good times

what happened to the turkey leg post?

the win last thanksgiving was awesome as if to kick start they cowboy's unraveling.  

a win Sunday night will be much bigger in my mind- the Steelers are the no. 1 consensus power ranked team !   this gives a real possibility of a you know what !   

In terms of national perception... YES (emphatically)  

Of course playoff win(s) this year are bigger, but the question was “in the last 20 years” and to date the playoffs haven’t started yet.  

Edited by SCBills

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Biggest win? Only if I can see it. TEGNA has blocked my viewing of NBC, and if I can’t see it, it doesn’t count! (See that thread - hoping the NBC Sports app works out) 

They sure picked a lousy game to mess with Bills fans!!!

yahoo is your friend as is the NBC sports App 

I think beating "the hoodie" a couple weeks ago was the biggest for me. We stared the bully down and punched him in the nose.

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Biggest win? Only if I can see it. TEGNA has blocked my viewing of NBC, and if I can’t see it, it doesn’t count! (See that thread - hoping the NBC Sports app works out) 

They sure picked a lousy game to mess with Bills fans!!!

Best investment I've made yet was having DirecTV install an OTA Antenna on roof with dish 20 years ago with my snowblower a close second 

14 hours ago, Magox said:

Yes, this would be one of the biggest victories in the past 20 years for the Bills.

I agree.  Right now, at this point, in this season, the Bills are looking as good as they have since the Super Bowl teams.  That's 25 years.

I think a win against Pitt could be said to be the biggest/best Bills win in that time.

17 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

My only concern about this game, is Allen's knee/ankle being a target of that defense. The Steeler's 'leveled the playing field' by knocking Don Beebe unconscious, after he torched the Steeler's 'D', in the previous contest. (52-34)

Different era, different rules