Confirmed: Moss benched after fumble

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

put me in the singletary > moss camp.  

hopefully he gets better with ball security and they can tag team it up 

I like both Singletary and Moss as a combo (although I would love to see a pure speed back added to the mix next year), I think of Singletary as a better receiver (although Moss is not a bad receiving back) and a more well rounded elusive back whereas as see Moss as a pure power back. But right now Moss just is a bit behind the curve due to a lot of factors most out of his control. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Simon said:

The Bills got absolutely stuffed on at least 4 short yardage situations where Moss typically would have been in the game but wasn't.

Motor also took a holding penalty on a 3rd/goal where he shouldn't have even been on the field that likely cost the Bills 4 points.

Not having Moss available hurt the team on multiple occasions.

Seems like Moss had some mental issues and there could have been issues in practice last week or some other type of personal issue where Moss was not focused. Since we stayed out in front of SF McDermott didn't feel the need to put him in there. Would have been interesting if the game had gotten closer if the playing time would have changed.

The only thing I'll say is that McDermott has made a lot of the correct calls so while I see yout point I think in the end it will be better in the long run for the team. Seems like it might have helped Morse focus a little more even though we could have possibly won the Arizona game with him in.

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Just a weird paradigm to me.  Every other position makes mistakes and its "We're a team and we pick each other up" but RBs get banished to the shadow realm.  Even WRs fumbling don't usually seem to get benched.

WR's don't touch the ball as much to get a chance to fumble. If you can't be trusted to secure the ball during a handoff, you can't play.

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So this is why Yeldon has been riding the pine since last year? Meanwhile Singletary fumbles and he’s only out a series.... kindve ridiculous. 

Yeldon is meh but he has speed that nobody else in our back field does.... and he’s really no worse than Singletary/Moss.

i mean, we shouldn’t have to hold our breadth when our RB’s carry the ball. That’s how I feel with motor, And now Moss.  

The main problem with Yeldon is that a slight breeze knocks him over. I have never seen a guy that is so easy to tackle. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Simon said:

That was wildly overreactive on McDermott's part and one of the few times I'll give him grief for an in-game decision.

You want to make a point and sit him for a couple series? OK, fine. Use it as a teaching moment.

But Moss has a unique skillset among our backs and is the only guy we have that can drop his pad level to get tough extra yards.

Whether it's goal to go or short yardage downs, Moss has become an integral part of this team that does a job that nobody else can do. There were multiple instances throughout that game where we could have really used him out there and McDermott gluing him to the bench for virtually the entire game accomplished nothing more than to hurt the rest of the team.

I disagree.  You are wrong, very appropriate given the situation

You guys do realize that McDermott is extraordinarily hard on rookies right? He always has been.  He benched Epenesa earlier this year for a false start.  It is what it is.  Next year whoever we draft will also be benched for a mistake- it's part of the process.

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Just a weird paradigm to me.  Every other position makes mistakes and its "We're a team and we pick each other up" but RBs get banished to the shadow realm.  Even WRs fumbling don't usually seem to get benched.

Well, I just saw this and haven't look at what has come before, but I don't think it's so weird.  It's just relative for different positions. 

You don't want your QB fumbling, but he's too important for plenty of other reasons that you can't afford to bench him for fumbling.  (1) Execute the play, (20 throw the ball, (3) read the defense, (4) keep everyone organized, (5) hold onto the ball.   A wide receiver has other parts of his job (1) catch the ball, (2) run your route correctly, (3) block downfield, (4) hold onto the ball.     Plus, when he fumbles, he's downfield, so it has an effect that's more like a running back.  

For a running back, the job, in order of importance, is (1) hold on to the ball, (2) run as far as you can, (3) stay in bounds or go out of bounds, if the clock is relevant.  #1 is hold on to the ball.  If you're Zeke Elliott, you get to fumble a couple of times before you get benched.  If you're Zach Moss, you go down immediately.  Belichick and others take the same approach.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/04/sports/football/coughlin-teaches-barber-learns-and-the-giants-are-the-big.html

I don’t know if you guys read this article or heard what Coughlin did to Tiki Barber back in 2004.  The previous four years he had 35 fumbles.  He kept drilling it into Barber to keep the ball pinned to his chest vs. extending his arm.  Assistant coaches would try and punch the ball out all around the facility, and made him carry the ball around.  Barber said, eventually it worked as his comment was it was Coughlin’s way or bye bye.  Coughlin was definitely old school, but it worked.

These tenets for running backs is drilled into them since they were in Pop Warner.  I think I said this 10,000 times to kids I used to coach.  It’s funny as it’s just natural to have kids extend their arms, but it’s fixable.  I’m sure Moss will be fine, but I couldn’t agree more with McD’s decision to have him sit for the game.  One positive is Singletary had a nice game.  It wasn’t spectacular, but he kept us from being completely one dimensional.

5 hours ago, Simon said:

The Bills got absolutely stuffed on at least 4 short yardage situations where Moss typically would have been in the game but wasn't.

Motor also took a holding penalty on a 3rd/goal where he shouldn't have even been on the field that likely cost the Bills 4 points.

Not having Moss available hurt the team on multiple occasions.

Moss came back in later and was stopped for loss on third and short. I think he was stuffed on another one as well. He hasn’t been the bruiser he was advertised as.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It could be seen as punishment, but it could also be seen as McDermott recognizing (or suspecting) someone having an off day and taking him off the field. If you're not totally focused you shouldn't be out there, at least not handling the ball close to your own endzone in a primetime game. :)

4 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

If you can't stay focused enough to grab the ball from the QB on your own 3 yard line after the defense made a great stop, then you shouldn't be on the field. That fumle results in points for the opponents what, nine times out of ten?

16 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Moss came back in later and was stopped for loss on third and short. I think he was stuffed on another one as well. He hasn’t been the bruiser he was advertised as.

Was just going to mention this. He got a shot in the 4th qtr on 3rd and short and was stuffed and pushed back for a 2 yard loss. So no, his benching did absolutely not hurt the team.

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

So this is why Yeldon has been riding the pine since last year? Meanwhile Singletary fumbles and he’s only out a series.... kindve ridiculous. 

Yeldon is meh but he has speed that nobody else in our back field does.... and he’s really no worse than Singletary/Moss.

He does?  Moss ran a 4.52.  Yeldon ran a 4.52.  He might be a little faster, but to say that he has speed that nobody else has?  Jones is faster btw.  

There’s a reason that Yeldon is making minimum salary as a teams 4th Rb for the 2nd year in a row.  He isn’t very good. He’s not terrible, but he has little to no future as a Bill.  Moss > Yeldon and deserves to play over him.  He’s a better battering ram that has the ability to move a pile in short yard situations