Confirmed: Moss benched after fumble

Just now, CLTbills said:

In what way did it "hurt the team?". The offense was literally unstoppable the entire night. Not having Moss in the game wasn't some drastic drop off. I think fumbling from inside his own end zone hurt the team WAY more than him sitting on the bench for half the game.

You hurt the team because you put your defense in a horrible situation.......and he needs to know its not ok.....we are going to face a team this year where that absolutely would cost us the game and the season

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They ran him in the fourth quarter last night one carry. 

He also lost the ball earlier they called a fumble but then overturned it because he was barely down. Even though we kept the ball that may have influenced McD keeping him out that long.

I could be wrong, but I can see McD wanting to go with a vet (Yeldon) in these big games down the stretch. it’s like when we ran Gore all the time in the playoff loss— sure-handed veteran over the rookie. 

I personally think Yeldon is meh, but Moss didn’t inspire confidence, especially to go into another prime time game against a defense that hits a lot harder than San Fran. 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

You hurt the team because you put your defense in a horrible situation.......and he needs to know its not ok.....we are going to face a team this year where that absolutely would cost us the game and the season

I think you need to read the post I was responding to. The poster said that McDermott benching Moss "hurt the team." The point I was making was that Moss' fumble hurt the team WAY more than his benching.

1 minute ago, CLTbills said:

In what way did it "hurt the team?"

There was a goal to go situation after Hyde's pick where Moss should have been on the field and instead the Bills went backwards and settled for a FG.

There were several short yardage downs throughout the game where they tried Motor and he couldn't get the yards that Moss likely would have.

I think McDermott went too far to make a point and made his team less effective in the process.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I could be wrong, but I can see McD wanting to go with a vet (Yeldon) in these big games down the stretch. it’s like when we ran Gore all the time in the playoff loss— sure-handed veteran over the rookie. 

I personally think Yeldon is meh, but Moss didn’t inspire confidence, especially to go into another prime time game against a defense that hits a lot harder than San Fran. 

Yeldon was all but benched for fumbling in his first year here. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffalo2218 said:

I believe he took a shot to the head during that play, that may have attributed to his fumble. He looked shaky after getting up

New conspiracy theory: McD is saying they "benched" Moss in order to hide his head injury and keep him out of protocol.

That's exactly what I called for after it happened. He did go back in later, I believe. I think he had a run for a loss.

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

Also was not the first one. He dropped one earlier but they ruled him down first. 

He was clearly down on that one, though. Wasn't even close.

24 minutes ago, Simon said:

That was wildly overreactive on McDermott's part and one of the few times I'll give him grief for an in-game decision.

You want to make a point and sit him for a couple series? OK, fine. Use it as a teaching moment.

But Moss has a unique skillset among our backs and is the only guy we have that can drop his pad level to get tough extra yards.

Whether it's goal to go or short yardage downs, Moss has become an integral part of this team that does a job that nobody else can do. There were multiple instances throughout that game where we could have really used him out there and McDermott gluing him to the bench for virtually the entire game accomplished nothing more than to hurt the rest of the team.

I disagree and its ok if you stick to your take.

I think the kid was a star at Utah, but this is the big league where you don't fumble on your 5 yard line.

Sitting him won't hurt him or the team and may help keep him humble and hungry to improve securing those handoffs and work on his game.

We may have been able to use him on short yardage, but Dabs seems to prefer zone runs wide or passing in the red zone. Not sure we missed him.

Knowing McDermott, Moss will get plenty of opportunities to redeem himself. Look how long they have worked on Wallace and how patient they were with Zay.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

It was also a fluke play that isn’t likely to ever happen again. Not like he was careless with the ball, he just made a mistake. I thought they should have sat him for a couple series myself. 

he had a near fumble that was overturned on review just a bit earlier. i think being a bit careless with the ball twice is what caused the benching

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Simon said:

That was wildly overreactive on McDermott's part and one of the few times I'll give him grief for an in-game decision.

You want to make a point and sit him for a couple series? OK, fine. Use it as a teaching moment.

But Moss has a unique skillset among our backs and is the only guy we have that can drop his pad level to get tough extra yards.

Whether it's goal to go or short yardage downs, Moss has become an integral part of this team that does a job that nobody else can do. There were multiple instances throughout that game where we could have really used him out there and McDermott gluing him to the bench for virtually the entire game accomplished nothing more than to hurt the rest of the team.

Singletary picked up 3rd and 1 on a sweep at least 2x.  

If Moss can’t hold onto the ball. He can ride that pine.   

• Like (+1) 1