Confirmed: Moss benched after fumble

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He does?  Moss ran a 4.52.  Yeldon ran a 4.52.  He might be a little faster, but to say that he has speed that nobody else has?  Jones is faster btw.  

There’s a reason that Yeldon is making minimum salary as a teams 4th Rb for the 2nd year in a row.  He isn’t very good. He’s not terrible, but he has little to no future as a Bill.  Moss > Yeldon and deserves to play over him.  He’s a better battering ram that has the ability to move a pile in short yard situations 

You do know that Yeldon makes the most money out of all the running backs we have right

10 hours ago, Simon said:

That was wildly overreactive on McDermott's part and one of the few times I'll give him grief for an in-game decision.

You want to make a point and sit him for a couple series? OK, fine. Use it as a teaching moment.

But Moss has a unique skillset among our backs and is the only guy we have that can drop his pad level to get tough extra yards.

Whether it's goal to go or short yardage downs, Moss has become an integral part of this team that does a job that nobody else can do. There were multiple instances throughout that game where we could have really used him out there and McDermott gluing him to the bench for virtually the entire game accomplished nothing more than to hurt the rest of the team.

I don't think it was because he fumbled but because of where he fumbled.  Two times that are unforgiveable fumbles are when you have a small lead at the end of a game and have the ball and when you are in the 5 yard line.  Situation dictates the benching.  Besides the defense needed to be shown since they stopped the 49ers on 4 straight plays that the coach doesn't think its ok.

11 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

and yet in the official stats that fumble goes on Allen. smh @ nfl stats guys

I saw that stat also.  When you watch the video of the play from the goal line camera angle, you can see Moss reach for the ball with his hands and not allow the ball to be placed into his stomach.  This video confirms that the mistake was on Moss.  NFL stats generally charge the QB with almost all hand off fumbles.  In this case they got it wrong.  McD apparently realized the cause and took the appropriate action.  I'm sure that Moss learned a lesson that he will not forget.  Better days are in the future for Moss and the Bills will be glad that they selected him in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m perfectly fine with the benching. The coach knows the players way better than I ever will. I guarantee he’s had a long talk with Moss since Monday night, maybe even on the plane ride home. Zach won’t make that mistake again. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You hurt the team because you put your defense in a horrible situation.......and he needs to know its not ok.....we are going to face a team this year where that absolutely would cost us the game and the season

Do you really think he didn’t know it was not ok to fumble on the five yard line??? 
Seems to be an odd way of dealing with accountability. The Bills are among the worst penalized teams in the leagu. Where is the accountability for that?

49 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m perfectly fine with the benching. The coach knows the players way better than I ever will. I guarantee he’s had a long talk with Moss since Monday night, maybe even on the plane ride home. Zach won’t make that mistake again. 

Yes he will. All running backs fumble at some point. All QBs throw interceptions. 

Should McD bench Allen when he inevitably throws his first red-zone pick to teach him it’s not ok?

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I saw that stat also.  When you watch the video of the play from the goal line camera angle, you can see Moss reach for the ball with his hands and not allow the ball to be placed into his stomach.  This video confirms that the mistake was on Moss.  NFL stats generally charge the QB with almost all hand off fumbles.  In this case they got it wrong.  McD apparently realized the cause and took the appropriate action.  I'm sure that Moss learned a lesson that he will not forget.  Better days are in the future for Moss and the Bills will be glad that they selected him in the draft.

Moss never possessed the ball, so he cannot be the fumbler. 

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Do you really think he didn’t know it was not ok to fumble on the five yard line??? 
Seems to be an odd way of dealing with accountability. The Bills are among the worst penalized teams in the leagu. Where is the accountability for that?

Yes he will. All running backs fumble at some point. All QBs throw interceptions. 

Should McD bench Allen when he inevitably throws his first red-zone pick to teach him it’s not ok?

No, but taking a handoff is kinda the easiest part of the job.  Get your head right and come back to it.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I dont care what their 40 times are. Yeldon clearly has more game speed than Moss. 

Im not saying Yeldon is any good, but Moss/Motor aren't anything special either and Yeldon can at least get around the edge. He also adds something as a good reciever out of the back field.

He also always plays well when he is given the opportunity.... Him being inactive remains puzzling. 

You think Yeldon is better than Moss and/or Singletary?  You’d rather have one of them be inactive than Yeldon?

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

You do know that Yeldon makes the most money out of all the running backs we have right

Yes.  The other rbs are on rookie 3rd rd contract.  And I also know that he’s inactive for a reason. Reason being, the coaches believe he’s not as good as singletary or Moss.  Good reason.  If he wants to be active, he should focus on STs.  That’s what 3rd RBs do

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think Moss/Singletary are essentially the same back. 

Yeldon gives the offense a good change of pace option and is a good reciever as a back as well.... the dude always plays well when he is given his rare opportunity. 

I agree that he’s a decent rb with a skill set worthy of nfl rosters.  I’m glad he’s on the team.  I just wouldn’t want to see him taking carries from our 3rd rd pick RBs.  

Singletary has proven to be a pretty good back and Moss has had very little opportunity.  

I feel like playing Yeldon over Moss (or Singletary) would be like playing Trent Murphy over Aj Epenesa.  

13 hours ago, Simon said:

That was wildly overreactive on McDermott's part and one of the few times I'll give him grief for an in-game decision.

You want to make a point and sit him for a couple series? OK, fine. Use it as a teaching moment.

But Moss has a unique skillset among our backs and is the only guy we have that can drop his pad level to get tough extra yards.

Whether it's goal to go or short yardage downs, Moss has become an integral part of this team that does a job that nobody else can do. There were multiple instances throughout that game where we could have really used him out there and McDermott gluing him to the bench for virtually the entire game accomplished nothing more than to hurt the rest of the team.

Unless is was Brady back in the day what would BB do in the exact same circumstance? 

I fully support the decision made and agree with it. 

13 hours ago, Simon said:

Whether it's goal to go or short yardage downs, Moss has become an integral part of this team that does a job that nobody else can do. There were multiple instances throughout that game

Didn't the ball go to Moss in the 3rd or 4th quarter on 3rd and 1?

Moss was stuffed.

He was benched after the fumble, he got that play - didn't succeed, and didn't see the field again.

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't really see it that way.... Yeldon gives the backfield a dimension it doesn't currently have.(Speed to get around the edge) He also hits the hole faster than both Singletary/Moss.

I disagree that he hits the hard faster.  He’s always been known for his short pitter patter steps approaching the hole then bursting through it.  He approaches the hole similar to leveon bell.  

I don’t think that he’s that much faster around the corner than either player where id label it “another dimension”.  

agree to disagree

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's because the fumble was 100% on him. He started bringing his hands down to squeeze the ball before Josh put it in his gut and knocked it loose. RB 101, don't clamp down until the ball hits you in the gut. And on your own five? Yeah, ya dang right youse gonna sit down for a bit. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 2

Just because a guy was stuffed on one play (Moss in 4th Q) where DL blow two yards into the offensive backfield and he's tackled almost immediately does not in any way preclude that he would be stopped on a second, third, or fourth attempt. That is absurd. Moss is a better short yardage back than Singletary, who is not horrible, just not as good. The real issue with our short yardage game is the blocking. But Moss should be in there on short yardage.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Simon said:

There was a goal to go situation after Hyde's pick where Moss should have been on the field and instead the Bills went backwards and settled for a FG.

There were several short yardage downs throughout the game where they tried Motor and he couldn't get the yards that Moss likely would have.

I think McDermott went too far to make a point and made his team less effective in the process.

It wasn't simply a fumble close to the endzone.  Moss reached forward to grab the ball instead of waiting and closing his hands on it as it hit his mid-section.  The ball shanked forward off his outstretched hand.  I guarantee you that's not what Allen was expecting.  That's not how you receive a handoff at any level of football, let-alone the NFL.  One of the announcers even picked up on it and mentioned it. 

Bush-league mistake at a critical moment of a big game.  The big question is, was this a one-off, or an intermittent habit the coaches have been trying to correct?  If a habit, then I totally agree with McD.

What you're saying is true, but I don't think Moss is that consistent at picking up short yards yet, and Motor did score on a toss sweep.  Between him and McKenzie, we had more luck getting to the edge then running inside on short yardage situations in this game.  Beyond that, when they did put Moss back in for a short yardage down fourth quarter, he got tackled behind the line.  

I'm going to trust McD on this one.   Minimal damage done.  The goal-to-go situation you refer to there were penalties and more mistakes that backed us up quickly.  I doubt Moss would have made a difference.