Potential NFL HC Candidates

JGMcD2

23 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree think he will be gone from Michigan, but does an NFL team really want him?

It’s interesting... he surely had a good track record in the Nfl which is so different from college, in terms of wins, but he has a reputation for being difficult to work with. Maybe he gets a shot to work with a GM who knows him. But I don’t think a GM is going to hitch their wagon to him who doesn’t know him and be willing to deal with his “quirks”

two buzzwords come with nfl hires these days - culture and innovative. Wouldn’t associate either one with Harbaugh.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s interesting... he surely had a good track record in the Nfl which is so different from college, in terms of wins, but he has a reputation for being difficult to work with. Maybe he gets a shot to work with a GM who knows him. But I don’t think a GM is going to hitch their wagon to him who doesn’t know him and be willing to deal with his “quirks”

two buzzwords come with nfl hires these days - culture and innovative. Wouldn’t associate either one with Harbaugh.

The biggest, and most important, buzz word is "Winning". And Harbaugh showed he can do that. And he did it without a great QB.

Edited by MJS

11 hours ago, Greg S said:

RUMORS : There is a growing sense among NFL front offices that former NFL HC Jim Harbaugh would be open to leaving his job at Michigan to return back to the NFL level, per Pete Thamel.

— JPA (@jpafootball) November 5, 2020

Yep it’s called can’t beat OSU syndrome. Only cure is to quit and chase the next very big paycheck

6 hours ago, MJS said:

The biggest, and most important, buzz word is "Winning". And Harbaugh showed he can do that. And he did it without a great QB.

Harbaugh turned around Stanford and SF.  He may be an egomaniac, and would take an owner giving him almost all control.  They may have a GM, but he would be calling the shots.  The only one who has really made this work is BB.  The other thing is Harbaugh if memory serves was making $7.5 mil./yr.  That’s more than most NFL coaches so he won’t be cheap whether it’s the Jests, Falcons, Houston, etc.  He’s much safer in college, but maybe he wants for ego sake to get back in the pros.  

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Agree. I'm not convinced Harbaugh can coach offense. He played Quarterback.... but the offense he ran in San Fran is very definitely Greg Roman's. We know because we have seen the same trick twice with minor modifications in Buffalo and Baltimore. His offenses in Michigan have been borderline unwatchable at times.

And he is exhausting to work with. I've said it before but for those who follow soccer he is the Jose Mourinho of the NFL.... without the silverware to back it up. He would be a great hire for the Jets in the sense that he would I think instantly make a dreadful team competitive. The bit he has struggled with is making great teams winners. The number of big games he has lost to less talented opposition in his career as a Head Coach would worry me. I think he gets outcoached in big moments.

That said this is a weak candidate pool, and I'd rather hire Jim Harbaugh than almost any of the other hot names. The one think we do know about Jim is he is a leader and I think the mistake people make when they talk about "well what is so and so's record as a coordinator?" is that they are different jobs. Yes, you want to hire someone who has proven it as a coordinator with the Xs and Os. But it isn't the most important qualification.

So where are the potential openings: Houston, Atlanta, Jaguars, Jets are all certainties then the other 4 who are possible are: Chargers, Lions, Vikings and Cowboys.

The person specification is a little different in each of those but the guys who I would have on my shortlist as a GM hiring this offseason would be:

Jim Harbaugh

Eric Bieniemy

Greg Roman

Brian Daboll

Arthur Smith

Joe Brady

Matt Eberflus

Robert Saleh

And while I get that he would be the "re-tread" route and I probably wouldn't go that way myself I expect Todd Bowles will get interviews too.

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. I'm not convinced Harbaugh can coach offense. He played Quarterback.... but the offense he ran in San Fran is very definitely Greg Roman's. We know because we have seen the same trick twice with minor modifications in Buffalo and Baltimore. His offenses in Michigan have been borderline unwatchable at times.

And he is exhausting to work with. I've said it before but for those who follow soccer he is the Jose Mourinho of the NFL.... without the silverware to back it up. He would be a great hire for the Jets in the sense that he would I think instantly make a dreadful team competitive. The bit he has struggled with is making great teams winners. The number of big games he has lost to less talented opposition in his career as a Head Coach would worry me. I think he gets outcoached in big moments.

That said this is a weak candidate pool, and I'd rather hire Jim Harbaugh than almost any of the other hot names. The one think we do know about Jim is he is a leader and I think the mistake people make when they talk about "well what is so and so's record as a coordinator?" is that they are different jobs. Yes, you want to hire someone who has proven it as a coordinator with the Xs and Os. But it isn't the most important qualification.

So where are the potential openings: Houston, Atlanta, Jaguars, Jets are all certainties then the other 4 who are possible are: Chargers, Lions, Vikings and Cowboys.

The person specification is a little different in each of those but the guys who I would have on my shortlist as a GM hiring this offseason would be:

Jim Harbaugh

Eric Bieniemy

Greg Roman

Brian Daboll

Arthur Smith

Joe Brady

Matt Eberflus

Robert Saleh

And while I get that he would be the "re-tread" route and I probably wouldn't go that way myself I expect Todd Bowles will get interviews too.

Harbaugh to Dallas would be 12D chess level funny.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Jim Harbaugh

Eric Bieniemy

Greg Roman

Brian Daboll

Arthur Smith

Joe Brady

Matt Eberflus

Robert Saleh

I know the chargers record isn't great, and they have struggled in tight games - but I also feel like you have to give Lynn 1 more year.  Playoffs in year 1, rookie QB playing really good football in year 3.  Nobody expected you to be good this year.  

Lions and Cowboys would make the most sense.  Patricia has made the team worse, and McCarthy isn't a very good coach - even after time off.

34 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I know the chargers record isn't great, and they have struggled in tight games - but I also feel like you have to give Lynn 1 more year.  Playoffs in year 1, rookie QB playing really good football in year 3.  Nobody expected you to be good this year.  

Lions and Cowboys would make the most sense.  Patricia has made the team worse, and McCarthy isn't a very good coach - even after time off.

But just like McDermott has made a habit of winning close games, Anthony Lynn has made a habit of losing them. When you so often come out on one side of tight games (good or bad) it can't just be put down to luck and the bounce of the ball. It comes down to how you coach your guys on the finer details.

I should say I think Lynn can survive. But he has to go above .500 from here for me.

Edited by GunnerBill

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But just like McDermott has made a habit of winning close games, Anthony Lynn has made a habit of losing them. When you so often come out on one side of tight games (good or bad) it can't just be put down to luck and the bounce of the ball. It comes down to how you coach your guys on the finer details.

I should say I think Lynn can survive. But he has to go above .500 from here for me.

I just don't like the idea of messing with a young QB this early in development.  Not to use the injury excuse but the injuries have hit them really where they couldn't afford to be hit.  James for the season, Ekelers missing a ton of time, Pouncey Bulaga and Turner have been banged up all year, Harris and Ingram hit IR for stretches.  I'd be curious to see how good they could be if they actually field some of the defense they paid all this money to.

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

I just don't like the idea of messing with a young QB this early in development.  Not to use the injury excuse but the injuries have hit them really where they couldn't afford to be hit.  James for the season, Ekelers missing a ton of time, Pouncey Bulaga and Turner have been banged up all year, Harris and Ingram hit IR for stretches.  I'd be curious to see how good they could be if they actually field some of the defense they paid all this money to.

Nor would I like to mess with Herbert really. They are already risking his development with downright awful protection that at times is allowing him to learn some bad habits. I just think it is repeated mistakes that might sink him if they finish poorly. They are losing games on coaching IMO.

I honestly think Harbaugh has sincere mental issues, that’s no joke.  I believe he’s a pretty good coach, but just watching him in the public eye, I can’t imagine how bad it is when the doors are closed.  I bet he registers on the schizophrenic scale somewhere. 

All that said, I think NY is a great choice for him.  It’s really a no lose scenario, if he fails, how could anybody win with that mess?  If he turns it around, he’s the Savior.  It’s almost perfect and a huge market to capitalize on.   Houston also offers a similar appeal.   Personally, I’d take Houston if I had a choice, but the hero potential in NY is way higher.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Looking at the injuries and who he’s running out there, I’d argue it takes great coaching to even be in the games they are barely losing.

18 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I was just scrolling through NFL Trade Rumors and saw that the Atlanta Falcons have Eric Bieniemy on their list of potential HC candidates. The other name specifically mentioned was Nathaniel Hackett. 

I was extremely shocked to see this. Floored, really. Hackett wasn’t very good at Syracuse. Came to Buffalo with Marrone, wasn’t very good here either. Followed Marrone to Jacksonville and wasn’t good, but was used as a scapegoat for Marrone. Now he’s in Green Bay, which is the LaFluer/Rodgers show... but somehow he’s getting HC looks based on that? Yikes. 

I will never fully understand NFL hiring practices...

The fact that two NFL franchises listened to Pat Shurmer speak at the podium and decided he was an NFL Head Coach shows me that despite being told all the time by Coaches, GMs, and suits on TV that fans don't know anything, that its a bunch of franchises in this league are clueless. 

The Texans made Bill O'Brien their GM. That shows you how smart these Franchises are. 

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

If my dude Byron Leftwich isn’t a HC somewhere next year, then the GM community has missed a golden opportunity.

Are you paying attention Houston?

Have him return to Jacksonville with Fields at QB with pick #2 in the NFL draft.

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Nathanial Hacket?....Christ, they might as well have Buddy Hacket

Nate to the Jets would seem fitting since his dad coached there for years.

15 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

[Jim Harbaugh] The Jets actually interviewed him before hiring Rex in 2009. There were also reports they were interested two years ago. 

With Michigan 1-2 and going nowhere do you think he jumps ship? Harbaugh and Lawrence? A fan can dream. 

Jumps ship?  He lost to Michigan St at home again and to Indiana for the first time in 32 years. Ohio St. is going to clean their clocks.  The way it's going he could get fired.

15 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

[Jim Harbaugh] The Jets actually interviewed him before hiring Rex in 2009. There were also reports they were interested two years ago. 

With Michigan 1-2 and going nowhere do you think he jumps ship? Harbaugh and Lawrence? A fan can dream. 

Come on bro, don't think like that.  Don't give up on Gase just yet.  He can turn things around for you guys, and be an excellent mentor for Trevor.  

Give Gase an extension, give him a chance to right the ship!  I'd say a 5 year extension at a minimum. 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Come on bro, don't think like that.  Don't give up on Gase just yet.  He can turn things around for you guys, and be an excellent mentor for Trevor.  

Give Gase an extension, give him a chance to right the ship!  I'd say a 5 year extension at a minimum. 

Make him part owner.  Give him full control of all personnel decisions.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, DCofNC said:

I honestly think Harbaugh has sincere mental issues, that’s no joke.  I believe he’s a pretty good coach, but just watching him in the public eye, I can’t imagine how bad it is when the doors are closed.  I bet he registers on the schizophrenic scale somewhere. 

All that said, I think NY is a great choice for him.  It’s really a no lose scenario, if he fails, how could anybody win with that mess?  If he turns it around, he’s the Savior.  It’s almost perfect and a huge market to capitalize on.   Houston also offers a similar appeal.   Personally, I’d take Houston if I had a choice, but the hero potential in NY is way higher.

Looking at the injuries and who he’s running out there, I’d argue it takes great coaching to even be in the games they are barely losing.

Yes, he’s a different person And coach since he was with the Niners. There is no debating that. He seems like he really needs some time off. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...