Potential NFL HC Candidates

JGMcD2

I was just scrolling through NFL Trade Rumors and saw that the Atlanta Falcons have Eric Bieniemy on their list of potential HC candidates. The other name specifically mentioned was Nathaniel Hackett. 

I was extremely shocked to see this. Floored, really. Hackett wasn’t very good at Syracuse. Came to Buffalo with Marrone, wasn’t very good here either. Followed Marrone to Jacksonville and wasn’t good, but was used as a scapegoat for Marrone. Now he’s in Green Bay, which is the LaFluer/Rodgers show... but somehow he’s getting HC looks based on that? Yikes. 

I will never fully understand NFL hiring practices...

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

RUMORS : There is a growing sense among NFL front offices that former NFL HC Jim Harbaugh would be open to leaving his job at Michigan to return back to the NFL level, per Pete Thamel.

— JPA (@jpafootball) November 5, 2020

I said he would be the Jets new HC this past spring and people said no chance.

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

I said he would be the Jets new HC this past spring and people said no chance.

He would want total control. I am not sure he would get that with GM Joe Douglas who has a 6 year contract. I do think Gase will be fired though so maybe its possible. Who knows!

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

it would be highly surprising or is it really ? to see Hackett get a job over former player and vet OC with a Super Bowl win on his resume Eric Bieniemy...

Daboll is also going to be in demand I would suspect...which makes me wonder who the in-house candidate would be to replace ?  Dorsey qb coach comes to mind first..

any other cerebral giants on this portal of higher thought have any pearls of wisdom ?

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

He would want total control. I am not sure he would get that with GM Joe Douglas who has a 6 year contract. I do think Gase will be fired though so maybe its possible. Who knows!

I can't see any team giving Harbaugh total control. What has he ever done to deserve that?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

I can't see any team giving Harbaugh total control. What has he ever done to deserve that?

Turned around SF from weak team to Super Bowl finalist. And developed Kaepernik so he looked like a star QB.  I don’t think it’s enough for total control. But he was very strong HC in 49ers. I hope he will not groom Lawrence in Jets

• Like (+1) 1

People will think that since Hackett is learning under LaFleur that he learned that scheme and can run it. Never mind that the guy can't mentor a rookie at all as some team will probably hire him if the Packers make the SB.

This years play from Josh Allen has me reflecting that Daboll is learning as he goes and is getting better. This last game where the Bills pounded the ball very well against the Patriots and didn't have Allen go pass happy has me thinking Daboll has changed his ways. Now, if he can work out how to have Allen / the offense line beat a heavy blitz he will have it all. 

1 minute ago, Artem Lipatov said:

Turned around SF from weak team to Super Bowl finalist. And developed Kaepernik so he looked like a star QB.  I don’t think it’s enough for total control. But he was very strong HC in 49ers. I hope he will not groom Lawrence in Jets

No, it isn't enough for total control. Not even close. Especially after what owners around the league just witnessed down in Houston.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Greg S said:

RUMORS : There is a growing sense among NFL front offices that former NFL HC Jim Harbaugh would be open to leaving his job at Michigan to return back to the NFL level, per Pete Thamel.

— JPA (@jpafootball) November 5, 2020

Because he realizes they will never be able to overtake Ohio St.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

it would be highly surprising or is it really ? to see Hackett get a job over former player and vet OC with a Super Bowl win on his resume Eric Bieniemy...

Daboll is also going to be in demand I would suspect...which makes me wonder who the in-house candidate would be to replace ?  Dorsey qb coach comes to mind first..

any other cerebral giants on this portal of higher thought have any pearls of wisdom ?

Daboll? Have you watched the last month?

• Like (+1) 1

Nathaniel Hackett: 

No prior legit experience before 2013 ... "quality control" for a few NFL teams and Syracuse QBs and Tight Ends Coach.

2013 Buffalo Bills O-Coordinator: Bills rank 22nd in total offense, followed by 18th. 29th in passing.

Then he quits on his team and opts out of his contract. Nice.

2015 after failing to land another O-Coordinator job, he latches on as Jaguars O-Line coach. 2015 Jaguars rank 14th in offense, but he's barely involved.

2016 Doug Marrone, the snake, finds a way to weasel his way into Head Coach and promotes his buddy Nate Hackett. Jaguars rank 25th in total offense.

2017 Nate Hackett is the O-Coordinator again. Jaguars rank 5th in total offense! (His only good year, despite buddy'ing up with offensive minded HC's)

2018 Nate Hackett tries to build on his success as O-Coordinator and Jaguars end up ranking 31st in total offense. His buddy Doug Marrone fires him.

2019 Nate Hackett is somehow hired by Green Bay Packers as their O-Coordinator. They go from 14th ranking in NFL the previous year to a whopping 15th with Aaron Rodgers as QB.

I love this story because it shows Nate Hackett following offensive minded coaches everywhere he goes and then failing.

I sincerely hope that he becomes an NFL Head Coach somewhere because that's just one more team we can count on failing.

Edited by Rigotz

9 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Well, I think Nate Hackett being a candidate at least gives Daboll a decent chance of being one as well. 

There's no reputable link or source saying Hackett is a legitimate candidate. I'm guessing you read a Twitter post that was just making names

Edited by uticaclub

I will never understand how Juan Castillo can be a horrid O-Line coach for the Bills and then get signed by the Bears and somehow be worse. I guess some teams are just extremely stupid, I truly believe there are only around 15 competent GM’s out there so that is probably why so many crappy HC’s keep floating around.