Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
IronMaidenBills

We Need Elite Pass Rushers

Recommended Posts

Also,  let’s end the Epenesa comparisons to Maybin.  Epenesa has 1 sack thru 5 games vs Maybin’s 0 sacks thru 32 games.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:


Wouldn’t that be nice. Ralph should have cloned him years ago lol. 


A great player ... maybe the greatest ever to play on this team...

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dragoon said:

We need a revamped line and a legit starting corner opposite Tre. 

We need to get rid of these awful contracts from the past 3 years FA signings.  Mario Addison, Trent Murphy, Vernon Butler, Quinten Jefferson, AJ Klein, Josh Norman, and Tyler Kroft at this point are god awful contracts to the tune of ~$54M.  I don’t understand the people complaining about our draft picks, it’s our chronyistic FA signings that are killing this team. 

Edited by Weatherman
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

We need to get Reid of these awful contracts from the past 2 years FA signings.  Mario Addison, Trent Murphy, Vernon Butler, Quinten Jefferson, AJ Klein, Josh Norman, and Tyler Kroft at this point are god awful contracts to the tune of $54M.  I don’t understand the people complaining about our draft picks, it’s our chronyistic FA signings that are killing this team. 


Ive actually thought about that the last few years, especially given all the “cap hell” narratives people pushed when this FO first came in. 
 

The team is pretty good, so I don’t complain much, and still won’t But they too have their fair share of bad contracts, and it’s stopped us to make decisions regarding guys like Philips and Shaq so we could pay Dawkins and Tre. Or make a decision between Edmunds and Milano down the line. 
 

But such is the NFL and every team goes through this every year.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mango said:


Ive actually thought about that the last few years, especially given all the “cap hell” narratives people pushed when this FO first came in. 
 

The team is pretty good, so I don’t complain much, and still won’t But they too have their fair share of bad contracts, and it’s stopped us to make decisions regarding guys like Philips and Shaq so we could pay Dawkins and Tre. Or make a decision between Edmunds and Milano down the line. 
 

But such is the NFL and every team goes through this every year.

Without even throwing blame at Beane because the salary cap is what it is but it really is a shame that it's structured where you are pretty much forced to cut ties with guys like Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips.  With the way the defense was playing last year Continuity would've been great but I just don't see how they could afford to keep those guys with all of the contracts they have coming down the line.  The guys they had to sign this year to bring in as replacements are just not living up to their expectations.  I really hate the business side of pro football.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I think guys on teams going nowhere can be had. Maybe a Tak McKinley or a Kyler Fackrell who are both pending UFAs on losing teams. I might give the Bengals a call on Carl Lawson who is also set to be a free agent. Trades may be hard to come by, but I think those guys can be had. A guy I really like, who is starting to come into his own and finally developed is Trey Hendrickson down in NO. Now will they trade him? I highly doubt it, but he should be a free agent target of ours. Hey maybe the Jets are willing to trade Jordan Jenkins who is “tired of losing.” I know its in division, but they made a trade with the Giants last year and Jenkins is a pending free agent as well. We need some sort of shot in the arm. 
 

At the end of the day, none of these guys are elite pass rushers because they are just hard to come by. I’d like to see less Murphy and Hughes and more Daryl Johnson and AJ Epenesa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So I think guys on teams going nowhere can be had. Maybe a Tak McKinley or a Kyler Fackrell who are both pending UFAs on losing teams. I might give the Bengals a call on Carl Lawson who is also set to be a free agent. Trades may be hard to come by, but I think those guys can be had. A guy I really like, who is starting to come into his own and finally developed is Trey Hendrickson down in NO. Now will they trade him? I highly doubt it, but he should be a free agent target of ours. Hey maybe the Jets are willing to trade Jordan Jenkins who is “tired of losing.” I know its in division, but they made a trade with the Giants last year and Jenkins is a pending free agent as well. We need some sort of shot in the arm. 
 

At the end of the day, none of these guys are elite pass rushers because they are just hard to come by. I’d like to see less Murphy and Hughes and more Daryl Johnson and AJ Epenesa. 

 

 

I like these suggestions a lot.   I am with you on Johnson he has a chance to be like the player Hendrickson has become now........maybe even better all around.    Those guys are built to rush the passer.   They need to get Edmunds out on the edge next season and see what they actually have while they have a chance to develop him.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nester said:

Bruce is why i am a Bills fan. 

Never even been to NY. 

Same here man, him and JK got me hooked, but I will tell you this, it is absolutely worth going to the Stadium to watch a bills game live. I went for the first time last year and it was one of the best times I have ever had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dragoon said:

We need a revamped line and a legit starting corner opposite Tre. 


This goes understated but it’s not just the DL.
 

Hughes is aging, still a threat to be accounted for but he can’t do it alone. Addison is meh. 

 

DT- I’ve never been high on Harry. I don’t get the love he gets around here. Purely a rotational guy at this point. Oliver is a nice piece. People are expecting the great version of Dareus from him. You won’t get it. 
 

LB- Depth is terrible. Edmunds seems hesitant. Milano can’t stay healthy. 
 

CB- Tre. Then a mile back is everybody else, and they aren’t good. 
 

S- Very good pairing. They’re doing a lot to hold some semblance of this defense together. They aren’t old yet, but if we don’t address CB, LB, and DL quickly, they could also start to get picked on. 
 

In 3 drafts we have spent 3x 1sts, 1x 2nd, and 2x 3rds (Edmunds trade up) on the defense. Seems like we should be better. This off-seasons FA’s are a big whiff. 
 

There is a large talent void and if they don’t fix it quick like they did with WR we could be in trouble in 2021 and 2022. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jerry Hughes has been overrated here for the last 3 years. He’s not good anymore.  
 

and while I am absolutely shocked how bad the D has been (she didn’t say that 😉), I was always worried about our pass rushers. Hughes is overrated, Murphy is worthless, Oliver has really asserted himself, and I don’t see AJ as ever being a dominant rusher.  It’s an absolute huge need.  
 

looking back, Yannick for a 2nd would have been a game changer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jerry Hughes has been overrated here for the last 3 years. He’s not good anymore.  
 

and while I am absolutely shocked how bad the D has been (she didn’t say that 😉), I was always worried about our pass rushers. Hughes is overrated, Murphy is worthless, Oliver has really asserted himself, and I don’t see AJ as ever being a dominant rusher.  It’s an absolute huge need.  
 

looking back, Yannick for a 2nd would have been a game changer. 

 

Hughes in 2019 was good, he was solid against the run and a physical player off the edge getting pressure. He also was the heart and soul of the front 7. But in 2020 he has been fairly invisible. I think maybe age has just gotten ahead of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Weatherman said:

We need to get rid of these awful contracts from the past 3 years FA signings.  Mario Addison, Trent Murphy, Vernon Butler, Quinten Jefferson, AJ Klein, Josh Norman, and Tyler Kroft at this point are god awful contracts to the tune of ~$54M.  I don’t understand the people complaining about our draft picks, it’s our chronyistic FA signings that are killing this team. 

Leave my boy quinton out of this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup, both need to go

 

the entire front 7 needs an overhaul. Murphy, Hughes, Phillips, Edmunds, whoever our 3rd LB is....all need to be replaced. Edmunds needs to move positions and Phillips should be a backup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hughes is elite pass rusher. Consistently gets pressure , is very good vs run but not elite . 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2020 at 9:40 PM, bills6969 said:

Also,  let’s end the Epenesa comparisons to Maybin.  Epenesa has 1 sack thru 5 games vs Maybin’s 0 sacks thru 32 games.

The only reason for the comparison is the slim down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2020 at 2:35 PM, mannc said:

We have used a ton of draft capital on the defensive front seven the last three drafts.  It’s inexcusable not to have come away with at least one pass rusher...

Lots of folks don't seem to understand this, going by their comments.

 

 

On 10/15/2020 at 1:07 AM, Mango said:


This goes understated but it’s not just the DL.
 

Hughes is aging, still a threat to be accounted for but he can’t do it alone. Addison is meh. 

 

DT- I’ve never been high on Harry. I don’t get the love he gets around here. Purely a rotational guy at this point. Oliver is a nice piece. People are expecting the great version of Dareus from him. You won’t get it. 
 

LB- Depth is terrible. Edmunds seems hesitant. Milano can’t stay healthy. 
 

CB- Tre. Then a mile back is everybody else, and they aren’t good. 
 

S- Very good pairing. They’re doing a lot to hold some semblance of this defense together. They aren’t old yet, but if we don’t address CB, LB, and DL quickly, they could also start to get picked on. 
 

In 3 drafts we have spent 3x 1sts, 1x 2nd, and 2x 3rds (Edmunds trade up) on the defense. Seems like we should be better. This off-seasons FA’s are a big whiff. 
 

There is a large talent void and if they don’t fix it quick like they did with WR we could be in trouble in 2021 and 2022. 

Hughes has been on the decline for a while now, and hasn't really had an impact on games, week in and week out, for a few years IMO.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 12:03 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jerry Hughes has been overrated here for the last 3 years. He’s not good anymore.  
 

and while I am absolutely shocked how bad the D has been (she didn’t say that 😉), I was always worried about our pass rushers. Hughes is overrated, Murphy is worthless, Oliver has really asserted himself, and I don’t see AJ as ever being a dominant rusher.  It’s an absolute huge need.  
 

looking back, Yannick for a 2nd would have been a game changer. 

We all kinda knew this was probably going to be the last year for Hughes & Murphy. And their collective play only validates that. Out of all the DL FA guys I was hoping Addison would outplay Murphy but so far not much? This team will need a ridiculously heavy defensive draft and probably another FA or 2 to supplement the failed signings. All defensive positions will have to be addressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...