The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

Shaw66

Shaw I won't read all 23 pages to determine whether you're being chastised or not, but if you'll remember after Allen/Jackson/Mayfield/Darnold's rookie year I watched every single snap of those QBs along with to determine Allen’s "inaccuracy" compared to his peers in their rookie years... this included other rookie years from good QBs like Watson, Wentz, etc.

In that analysis I had some commentary about Allen I thought relevant to this thread and your point:

"The work so many stress Allen needs to do in the offseason regarding mechanics and just improving as a pocket passer is Jackson ×100. Baltimore does some brilliant stuff on offense in order to get WRs consistently pretty wide open and/or providing Jackson with just a single read passing wise. If anyone reminds me of Tebow this year, it's Jackson, and it's not even close."

That was what I thought after watching Jackson his rookie year. Last year with an entire offseason and relatively limited rookie year film, I think the Ravens really had the benefit of brilliant offensive game planning that was all-in on a unique system tailored to a unique athlete.

I don't know if the league has caught up with him, yet, but Josh Allen had -1 yards rushing today (obviously due to kneel downs): has Lamar Jackson EVER had a game where he didn't have any--or even MANY, like over 10--rushing yards in a game and been integral to a Win with his arm?

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Shaw I won't read all 23 pages to determine whether you're being chastised or not, but if you'll remember after Allen/Jackson/Mayfield/Darnold's rookie year I watched every single snap of those QBs along with to determine Allen’s "inaccuracy" compared to his peers in their rookie years... this included other rookie years from good QBs like Watson, Wentz, etc.

In that analysis I had some commentary about Allen I thought relevant to this thread and your point:

"The work so many stress Allen needs to do in the offseason regarding mechanics and just improving as a pocket passer is Jackson ×100. Baltimore does some brilliant stuff on offense in order to get WRs consistently pretty wide open and/or providing Jackson with just a single read passing wise. If anyone reminds me of Tebow this year, it's Jackson, and it's not even close."

That was what I thought after watching Jackson his rookie year. Last year with an entire offseason and relatively limited rookie year film, I think the Ravens really had the benefit of brilliant offensive game planning that was all-in on a unique system tailored to a unique athlete.

I don't know if the league has caught up with him, yet, but Josh Allen had -1 yards rushing today (obviously due to kneel downs): has Lamar Jackson EVER had a game where he didn't have any--or even MANY, like over 10--rushing yards in a game and been integral to a Win with his arm?

Um, last season he threw 5 TD's and 324 yards and had 6 yards rushing in the season opener.

46 minutes ago, FLFan said:

At this point in time, Jackson is a very limited QB. He is a great athletic talent.  Perhaps he will learn how to be a QB.  Right now, he is doing a very good imitation of Michael Vick, who (off field issues aside) never learned how to be a complete QB, and never reached his potential.  Jackson will continue to confound poor to mediocre teams, and struggle against the elite teams of the NFL due to his limitations.  He is electric when presented with the right opposition.  He is ordinary facing elite competition.  

Please see other stats comparing Michael Vick,  At this point,  Lamar is  several levels above Michael Vick in what he can do as a QB.  He has lost 3 games to Kansas City.  He has beaten every other team except the Steelers !!!!

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Um, last season he threw 5 TD's and 324 yards and had 6 yards rushing in the season opener.

Thanks for pointing that one out.

I didn't bother looking it up. I threw the question out legitimately. He threw 20 passes in a week 1 game against a team who obviously spent MONTHS obviously game planning for his legs.

Like I said, he benefits from a BRILLIANT Coaching staff.

After that his lowest rushing total on the year was 40 yards against Buffalo where we blew a play on a Tight End for a long TD but otherwise set the blueprint that other teams would follow to beat him.

Last week Allen had 8 yards rushing. This week Allen had -1 yards rushing with kneeldowns and a 1 yd QB rushing TD.

Allen won both games and was pretty much MVP of both games... don’t think we ever see that from Jackson.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

18-1 now in games throwing fewer than 28 passes (21 today)

Many of Jackson's best passing games, those 5 TD games,are games where he only attempts 20-25 passes. It's great to be efficient like that in the regular season against most teams but I'd be worried long-term about how he'll play when the competition is stiffer or the Ravens just come out flat and he finds himself in a game where he needs to throw it 35 times. 35 attempts isn't even a lot for the average QB.

9 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Many of Jackson's best passing games, those 5 TD games,are games where he only attempts 20-25 passes. It's great to be efficient like that in the regular season against most teams but I'd be worried long-term about how he'll play when the competition is stiffer or the Ravens just come out flat and he finds himself in a game where he needs to throw it 35 times. 35 attempts isn't even a lot for the average QB.

'

Fair critique - he doesn't throw it often, but when he does, he's extremely productive. He gets some really good looks off play action - f the LB crashes the pocket, he'll hit the seam route. If they drop into coverage, he'll quickly pick up some yardage with feet. 

They've beat some great teams with their model, but the next bridge is playoff success. It comes with MVP territory. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

I'm still not convinced Lamar can pass to win a game.

Crazy right. Pats and Ravens in their 4 minute drill offenses to win a game ran every play. What more can you say about them as passers? Their coaches didn’t have any faith they could complete a pass and ran basically every play down the field. Only to get in the red zone and turn it over. 

On 10/5/2020 at 12:25 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

it is because Josh is a QB that runs and not a runner playing QB.  

PEOPLE are getting wise on how to stop LJ

On 9/29/2020 at 6:10 AM, Halloween Land said:

Yeah the buzz will be about Allen vs Mahomes instead of Jackson vs Mahomes. Jackson is just an average thrower with limitations. 

I've said this since last year. The Lamar Jackson hype will eventually die out. I think he is now 0-6 when trailing in the 4th quarter. Yes he's ridiculously athletic but if he doesn't establish a pocket game he will die out. As Michael Vick did.

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I've said this since last year. The Lamar Jackson hype will eventually die out. I think he is now 0-6 when trailing in the 4th quarter. Yes he's ridiculously athletic but if he doesn't establish a pocket game he will die out. As Michael Vick did.

Vick had a bad work ethic, he never developed his game when he was young, Andy Reid got a hold of him and he had his best year before getting hurt. But Lamar has a good head on his shoulders and works hard. 

I don't know if Lamar will develop or not but I think he has a chance to develop into a better more consistent passer.

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Vick had a bad work ethic, he never developed his game when he was young, Andy Reid got a hold of him and he had his best year before getting hurt. But Lamar has a good head on his shoulders and works hard. 

I don't know if Lamar will develop or not but I think he has a chance to develop into a better more consistent passer.

Maybe... but not likely the way they are developing him.  I don't think he has the talent.  His only good pass is down the seam.  Amazing athlete though.

• Like (+1) 1