Do the Bills look to sign Josh to a Long term contract this year?

buffalosean

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Wentz was terrific last season. The roster is decimated by injuries this season too. Plus the receivers are old and breaking down. He's a good player.

Meh. I think Wentz played great at the end of the year. He struggled before that and he has started this year the same way. He holds the football too long. I think he is overrated. He has been very up and down in his NFL career.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't believe now is the time, typically one of the best windows for organizations to make a Super bowl run is during the QB's rookie contract.  If they were to extend him next year, they probably wouldn't want it to affect the cap all that much in the near term so that they could enjoy having the luxury of having a franchise QB at a much cheaper rate.  Because once his new contract comes into play, the Bills are going to have to make some very difficult decisions and let popular players walk.   While he is on that rookie contract, the Bills can keep pretty much most players that they want to without any immediate noticeable drop offs in talent.  

Just gotta keep drafting well as they have been.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hell no they don't take extend Josh until he is on the last year of his deal. First off, why not see exactly what Josh is before you reset the market? You have him under control the next 2 seasons after this year. Why not let Josh play out this season and next season so that you know fully what player you are investing in. Don't make the same mistake the Rams did fully paying Goff with 2 years left on his deal, when they could have waited one more year to fully make that investment. I love Josh but I think he should wait one more year for his extension. Not only would it give you the ability to have one more year of cheap QB play but you then would fully know what type of QB you are investing in.

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Being a team first guy in the nfl is really stupid.  Like really stupid.  Like if his play falls off or he gets hurt, what does being a team first guy get you?  It’s a business, not high school sports.

Actually it makes sense in the long term. Let your GM build a championship team around you. Go perform like an elite QB for 10 years, win a couple Super Bowls, and you'll get major endorsement deals for the rest of your life.

9 hours ago, eball said:

No contract extension discussions will take place until after the 2020 season at the earliest, IMO.

More importantly, I fully believe Josh is the type of player who will not insist upon a “highest paid” deal and will do what is necessary to allow the Bills to continue to keep a good team around him, similar to how Mahomes took less than he could have.

We are so freaking lucky to have gotten the type of player and human being Josh is.  Team first all the way.

#wrongjosh 

Loved him since day one. My draft crush that year and was euphoric that they drafted him. Go Bills

9 hours ago, eball said:

No contract extension discussions will take place until after the 2020 season at the earliest, IMO.

More importantly, I fully believe Josh is the type of player who will not insist upon a “highest paid” deal and will do what is necessary to allow the Bills to continue to keep a good team around him, similar to how Mahomes took less than he could have.

We are so freaking lucky to have gotten the type of player and human being Josh is.  Team first all the way.

luck played a small role in that decision

the only luck was that Josh was not picked #1

the intangibles of Josh are why they targeted him the year before they drafted him

10 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

You were right there on Spotrac.  

There IS no cap space in 2020 or 2021!!!  Search Cap Space and you will see the conversations on the topic.

Josh won't be able to get BIG $$$$  until 2022

That's when an extension would kick in most likely.  Money paid out before then would probably be paid as a signing bonus.

11 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The Sign Tre thread  --- Tre White's contract is on the books in Spotrac.

With that recorded 

2021 Estimated cap space 

2.2 million

2022 Estimated cap space 

$94,390,310

If they can they will wait until 2022 for the Bug bucks

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Keep in mind that in 2022, having $94 mill available means we are 19th ranked in the league in available cap. Expect salary inflation. 

The frickin' Colts have $224 mill estimated available cap space. And though they're #1, there are two other teams above $200 mill.

If there's any way to get it done early (using guaranteed roster bonuses in 2022, for example, instead of a signing bonus) they should try. There may not be any way. Josh would have to be very accommodating in method of payment, even if not in actual $$$.

I just want to caution everyone on the 2022 Cap Space number of $94 Million.

That number reflects only 26 players and the 2021 is with only 41 players.

There is a whole lot of UFAs that will need to be signed between now and then.

Thurman is right about other teams with a lot more space....Bills are a "average( at best) to low" cap space team going forward.

The 94 number is going to go down quickly especially because it's 2 years out.  What I mean by this is when a player (say Milano for instance) signs

a multi year contract next year both the 2021 and 2022 numbers get subtracted.  So if Milano signs cheap (10 million) that's 20 million off the 94.

As for Josh, he will get his 5th year option picked up (along with Edmunds) at the beginning of next year.  QB will probably be around 27-28 and

LB will be 15-16.  So that's 42-44.  It's normal for both of them to sign long term contracts at that time.

I believe space will be made for the 1st year of Josh's contract by "restructuring" a couple of other contracts but I bet Beane doesn't want to go crazy with that.

Will one or both get signed at the end of next year remains to be seen but I do not see either getting a contract this year.

Edited by ColoradoBills

6 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

no chance 

would be a total dumb move. Young QB's are so unpredictable. look at Wentz 

It makes no sense to do it now....but not for the reasons you state.   When you can simply pick up his option and then extend him allowing us to continue to add pieces that makes sense.

As far as giving him the contract.....he is only going to get more expensive in a league where players of his talent are few and far between.....when the time comes they better pay him

11 hours ago, CLTbills said:

While I understand not jumping the gun, there's also a case to be made for this argument. It seems like waiting another year will just drive up the price.

Thankfully, we have a freaking wizard for a GM.

Fitzpatrick comes to mind.  I don’t believe in throwing money at a 2 game show.  When you tie your franchise to a guy for 3-4 more years minimum, he better be THE guy.  Josh is looking much improved, but teams are not up to full speed yet, and the two he faced, generally suck, so give it the season.  It’s better to pay him what he’s worth than pay him what a win should be worth and have to suffer through years with a wildly inconsistent crap shoot.

12 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

He is a team first guy, don't rush it. They will use the 5th year option and then extend. 

Im in agreement with you on Josh.  They then need to extend Edmunds.  I think the rule is you can only offer one player a fifth year option on a team even if there were multiple first rounders, but could be wrong.

Then again, you can always just let Edmunds go to the fourth year, Allen the year after given the cap reduction and make Milano the priority.

That’s you’re next three years with decent contracts.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:55 AM, PirateHookerMD said:

Tom Brady always was "underpaid" in New England to not crush the salary cap. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7

His wife, unbelievably, made like 5x what Brady made.  But yeah he might be the only exception to help the team.

Or he was paid "off the books"

Edited by MarkyMannn

21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Actually it makes sense in the long term. Let your GM build a championship team around you. Go perform like an elite QB for 10 years, win a couple Super Bowls, and you'll get major endorsement deals for the rest of your life.

That actually would be an interesting breakdown.  Like what Brady actually makes.