Do the Bills look to sign Josh to a Long term contract this year?

buffalosean

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would bet Tre has some regrets about that contract. Both Tre and Josh seem like great dudes.  But why would accept significantly less money than you are able to get?  

the nfl is a dirty business with non guaranteed.  The second both slip, fans will turn on them.  Look at Saquon.  Blows out his knee before his first big payday.  Given his position, he might be severely challenged in getting a big deal now.  Football players should get every penny they can, especially when they have leverage.  There is no loyalty from teams, so why should players have it?

Because he’s happy where he is.  He doesn’t want to go somewhere else.  He just changed the life of his family for generations......by signing a contract to play football for the franchise that drafted him.  For the franchise that he loves and wants to win with.  You might see it as a bad business decision to leave money on the table.....but I bet he made the best life decision.  Life goes fast, enjoy the ride.  Tre is going to enjoy it.  He won’t look back and think woah is me; I shouldn’t have signed that contract, I should’ve demanded more.  That’s not Tre

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

And how many players do they need to sign?   20, 30, more?

Yeah, around 25 or so, right now anyway. Which happens to be almost the same as the Bills. The Bills will have - at a quick count, feel free to check me - two more guys under contract than the Colts will. The Colts will have sensational amounts of freedom with that money. Same as we did the past couple of years to build our roster very widely with good solid mid-priced FAs. Our OL and DL are much the better for it.

It's a major advantage for the Colts.

And there will absolutely be major salary inflation that year as demand will exceed supply next year but in that year, 2022, things will switch and supply will greatly exceed demand. Again, we'll be below average, with $95 mill. Crazy to think about. We'll have people on these boards again howling for that year's Jadaveon Clowney, despite this FO's announced tendencies to prioritize re-signing our own FAs.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

You were right there on Spotrac.  

There IS no cap space in 2020 or 2021!!!  Search Cap Space and you will see the conversations on the topic.

Josh won't be able to get BIG $$$$  until 2022

You pay him his regular deal in 2020, then pick up the 5th year option.  Then add 5 years of an extension from 2022-2026.  Lowers the AAV when you consider it over 7 years. 

He gets his up front money and you spread signing bonus over those 4-5 years.  You also guarantee a couple years of base salary to get the practical guarantees higher.  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would bet Tre has some regrets about that contract. Both Tre and Josh seem like great dudes.  But why would accept significantly less money than you are able to get?  

the nfl is a dirty business with non guaranteed.  The second both slip, fans will turn on them.  Look at Saquon.  Blows out his knee before his first big payday.  Given his position, he might be severely challenged in getting a big deal now.  Football players should get every penny they can, especially when they have leverage.  There is no loyalty from teams, so why should players have it?

Please. It's not like Tre's playing for minimum wage here. 

And he got guaranteed money when the Bills had him under contract (with no protection for injury) for two more years. Ramsey only had one more year under contract and thus more leverage and less time for potential injuries to derail his future.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't get the sense that Josh will demand max pay. At least from my perspective, I would prefer to be in the best situation possible for $30M rather than leverage my team/situation for $40M. I get the other side of the coin, that is a $50M difference over a 5 year deal. I think Josh will need to be wildly consistent to get an offer this off season, something he has not been since he got to Buffalo. But he does seem to be showing it. 

All that together. I wouldn't be surprised if we extended Josh at $160M-ish over 5 years $65M-ish gauranteed. Somewhere around the Goff range. Also, I think that would drive a dude like Baker crazy, who seems like he would chase the $$$. As things stand right now, that would drive a Baker contract, probably under $30M per year. haha!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, around 25 or so, right now anyway. But an awful lot of those guys will be signing for somewhere around $2 to $3 million. The Colts will have sensational amounts of freedom with that money. Same as we did the past couple of years to build our roster very widely with good solid mid-priced FAs.

It's a major advantage for them.

And there will absolutely be major salary inflation that year as demand will exceed supply next year but in that year, 2022, things will switch and supply will greatly exceed demand. Again, we'll be below average, with $95 mill. Crazy to think about. We'll have people on these boards again howling for that year's Jadaveon Clowney, despite this FO's announced tendencies to prioritize re-signing our own FAs.

And the colts still won’t have a QB worth a dam.  Maybe they can trade for Darnold after the jets pick Trevor Lawrence 

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't get the sense that Josh will demand max pay. At least from my perspective, I would prefer to be in the best situation possible for $30M rather than leverage my team/situation for $40M. I get the other side of the coin, that is a $50M difference over a 5 year deal. I think Josh will need to be wildly consistent to get an offer this off season, something he has not been since he got to Buffalo. But he does seem to be showing it. 

All that together. I wouldn't be surprised if we extended Josh at $160M-ish over 5 years $65M-ish gauranteed. Somewhere around the Goff range. Also, I think that would drive a dude like Baker crazy, who seems like he would chase the $$$. As things stand right now, that would drive a Baker contract, probably under $30M per year. haha!

IMO that's awfully hopeful, something only a Bills fan would suggest. Not that it's impossible, but it's sure very optimistic. 

We'll see, I guess. I sure wouldn't mind if it happened that way.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Does Milano have a supermodel wife who makes tens of millions per year, as Brady does? Does Josh? Just sayin'.

Josh does not need to worry.  If he's not the highest paid QB in the NFL he'll still be incredibly wealthy.  Unless he wins an MVP he's not setting the market at the position.  With a good season this year i would think the extension would look like, maybe 30-35?  Tannehills AAV was 29.5 in 2019, so in 2020 you'd look at something in that range I feel.  

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And the colts still won’t have a QB worth a dam.  Maybe they can trade for Darnold after the jets pick Trevor Lawrence 

They won't. Or they will. Did you have Lamar Jackson, the 32nd pick, down as a league MVP his second year?

Did the Bills trade up for Allen after a season when they had 9 wins?

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

They won't. Or they will. Did you have Lamar Jackson, the 32nd pick, down as a league MVP his second year?

Did the Bills trade up for Allen after a season when they had 9 wins?

maybe they will.  They have all the cap room in the world and I think Ballard makes the most of it, but they still have to accomplish the toughest thing there is to do as an NFL gm (imo), land a franchise QB.

for every JA there’s another Josh Rosen.  For every Lamar Jackson, there are 10 Patrick Ramsey’s. Sure; they might land the right QB.  They might not:....and then all that cap space means nothing 

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

IMO that's awfully hopeful, something only a Bills fan would suggest. Not that it's impossible, but it's sure very optimistic. 

We'll see, I guess. I sure wouldn't mind if it happened that way.

Agreed to an extent, but let a guy dream! For Josh to push the 40M+ mark with an extension this upcoming off-season, he will need to basically continue at a similar pace he is now. Which is not terribly sustainable, especially considering his past play. I expect him to continue to to be much better than years past going forward. But not 70% 380 yards per game good. The more realistic value if he were to be extended this off season is probably $36-38M per. So I am not too far off from 32M/Goff money. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

When we sign him - it will be an extension with guaranteed money - so we can essentially get that 4/5th year at still cheap for the year on the books.

Yeah, probably right, but the 5th year won't be all that cheap. Assuming we pick up his 5th year option before we give him the extension, his fifth year would still cost us around $24.8 mill. Or at least that's the transition tag for QBs this year, and the top few QB salaries, which raise those tags, are going up up up this year. The top ten QBs all get $30 mill or up according to Spotrac, in average salary, though the way Spotrac calculates those - basing some of the numbers on deceptive averages of extensions rather than total the player will receive - makes it an impenetrable thicket at this point.

It'll be interesting to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

I think after the deal that Ramsey signed a day after Tre, that Tre took a team-first deal. Is he stupid? Or is he still set for life and gave his team some flexibility. 

Tre did leave some money on the table. About $1m-$1.5m per year over the 4 years. That equates to around $5-6m overall. Can I see Josh leaving that sort of money on the table and signing for $37.5m a year compared to Watson's $39m a year? Sure, I could imagine that. He isn't leaving $4-5m a year on the table. No way.

The salary cap will be flat at best this off season which will cause a little bit of disruption to salary inflation.  QBs will still get paid to be sure, but lots of middle tier vets are gonna get squeezed hard.

I think you start talking extension to know where everyone stands on the issue.  If Josh continues to play like this the price only goes up.  If he comes back to Earth a bit it's more reasonable and if he, God forbid, reverts to his previous self for an extended period of time the price comes down.  I think it's prudent to let this one play out a little.