Where the Heck Was Oliver All Day?

GreggTX

27 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Why is it so hard for folks to have a normal discussion? It has to be flipped to it being about Allen, something personal or we won so shut up. 

I dont have anything to add about Oliver because I did not notice him. I would have to go back and rewatch the game to see what how he played. Maybe played very well and was handling double teams all game. I dont know. But why can someone not ask this without it being some attack on the Bills. So sensitive. 

Almost all that was said on page one was in good fun.  The point is: the D line was solid and to most it was clear simply by watching the game. 

Just now, JustWinPlease said:

Love the excuses for why a 2nd round pick couldn't make the field, as if he's an UDFA.

You just further show how little you seem to understand the fundamentals of football with this crusade to prove AJE is a bust and your inability to understand any of the reality of the situation.  

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Please back up your OP instead of dropping a turd and coming back to complain about the flies.

Keep that comment in your holster for future threads!

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Curious: were there any other players drafted higher than AJE that didn’t play a snap yesterday despite being completely healthy?

In the vast scheme of things it doesn't matter.  AJE was drafted to replace DEs next year NOT to fill an immediate need this year.

If Murphy was traded/released he would dress but the Bills are playing to win this season.

It's one game of the young mans entire career.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I am officially 'concerned' about Ed Oliver. I haven't given up on him, but all we got out of him was an assisted tackle. That's it. Zimmer played better. Hughes played better. Trent Murphy probably had the best game of any of our DL. Harrison Phillips did not play well either, though I wonder if he's 100%. Edmunds and Milano both dinged. It's not time to hit the panic button, but Oliver needs to start playing at a much higher level or he's going to make me miss Lotulelei.

No issues with big Ed.  He's filling those gaps.

44 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I am officially 'concerned' about Ed Oliver. I haven't given up on him, but all we got out of him was an assisted tackle. That's it. Zimmer played better. Hughes played better. Trent Murphy probably had the best game of any of our DL. Harrison Phillips did not play well either, though I wonder if he's 100%. Edmunds and Milano both dinged. It's not time to hit the panic button, but Oliver needs to start playing at a much higher level or he's going to make me miss Lotulelei.

tenor.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, FLFan said:

You should rewatch the game.  He did not get the stats but he was a consistent factor in pushing Darnold out of the pocket and rerouting running backs.  

You surely know that stats are the only measure of how the DL plays.......Oliver had poor stats so he played poor.

I think a lot of people, when looking at DT, only really look at the stat line for sacks. Sacks are great, but they're not the only metric. Darnold was pressured all game. Probably the biggest knock on him was that he was constantly fleeing the pocket, and it's true. If the QB is constantly fleeing the pocket, that means the DL are doing their jobs. It also means the defensive tackles, on the inside, are going to have fewer sacks.

Ed Oliver may not have looked elite yesterday, but he was by no means a weak link, or a liability. He played really well-- the entire line did. (That includes H. Phillips, IMO, although he didn't really see the field very much, IIRC.)

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think a lot of people, when looking at DT, only really look at the stat line for sacks. Sacks are great, but they're not the only metric. Darnold was pressured all game. Probably the biggest knock on him was that he was constantly fleeing the pocket, and it's true. If the QB is constantly fleeing the pocket, that means the DL are doing their jobs. It also means the defensive tackles, on the inside, are going to have fewer sacks.

Ed Oliver may not have looked elite yesterday, but he was by no means a weak link, or a liability. He played really well-- the entire line did. (That includes H. Phillips, IMO, although he didn't really see the field very much, IIRC.)

I was told he was another Aaron Donald.

Bummer.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Must.....resist.....urge.....to......rage....response

You are entitled to your opinion

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I wonder

...about how people watch a game.   

Darnold had no pocket to step up into throughout the game.    His eyes were often on the pass rush rather than downfield (unlike Allen).     That's a damn effective way to reduce any QBs effectiveness, let alone one susceptible to seeing ghosts...

26 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Curious: were there any other players drafted higher than AJE that didn’t play a snap yesterday despite being completely healthy?

Without going through the entire list, I can think of at least 3;  two of them from the first six picks.