Where the Heck Was Oliver All Day?

GreggTX

2 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Yeah, it is...given Darryl Johnson, a 7th rounder, made the active roster ahead of him.

Anybody who says they're not concerned with our top pick being benched is kidding themselves.

The media has even said he did absolutely nothing in training camp, except one rep where the guard and tackle tripped over eachother.

Our "top pick" caught a ton of balls yesterday and opened up our entire passing game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I am officially 'concerned' about Ed Oliver. I haven't given up on him, but all we got out of him was an assisted tackle. That's it. Zimmer played better. Hughes played better. Trent Murphy probably had the best game of any of our DL. Harrison Phillips did not play well either, though I wonder if he's 100%. Edmunds and Milano both dinged. It's not time to hit the panic button, but Oliver needs to start playing at a much higher level or he's going to make me miss Lotulelei.

Very concerned about this concern concerning Oliver. 

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

He hasn’t even played a snap yet 😂😂😂

Crazy a 2nd rounder couldn’t even see the field immediately on this D line. 

Oliver is a 9th overall pick.  Hard to understand why some are sensitive to criticism being leveled if he doesn't show up on a stat line, particularly when he's a 3T. 

Epenesa not playing is a bigger deal.  That he couldn't overcome a former 7th rounder at DE is something to talk about.

Then again in both cases, homers gonna homer. 

He's actually the one that flushed Darnold and forced the bad throw that turned into a pick for Milano.

The Jets were throwing extra meat at him all day and it didn't matter; he was dragging people into the backfield with him.

That's one bad mf'in cowboy.....

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I am officially 'concerned' about Ed Oliver. I haven't given up on him, but all we got out of him was an assisted tackle. That's it. Zimmer played better. Hughes played better. Trent Murphy probably had the best game of any of our DL. Harrison Phillips did not play well either, though I wonder if he's 100%. Edmunds and Milano both dinged. It's not time to hit the panic button, but Oliver needs to start playing at a much higher level or he's going to make me miss Lotulelei.

Just now, GreggTX said:

Please refrain from making personal insults. Grow up.

I won't insult you but it's getting to point were either you are trolling with your "comments" since the Jets game ended OR you don't know anything

about football.  IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Please refrain from making personal insults. Grow up.

Of all the posters in this thread, and this is the one you respond too?

Many people have said how good Oliver looked yesterday and you have not acknowledged that. So.......anything to say to that?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

100% agree. I'm even guilty of this to some extent, though more often with other teams than the Bills.

However, I genuinely didn't notice the impact Oliver had most of yesterday. That's on me, but I was hoping I'd see people in this thread point out what he did or maybe post some articles breaking down his play if any existed. Was not expecting people to turn it into a Josh Allen thing or anything.

But yeah, stat sheets don't tell the whole story, so glad to hear Oliver's play was felt even without the numbers.

have you read anything from the op?  he always, and i mean always manages to fit a knock of allen into any post he can.

Edited by teef

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

He's actually the one that flushed Darnold and forced the bad throw that turned into a pick for Milano.

The Jets were throwing extra meat at him all day and it didn't matter; he was dragging people into the backfield with him.

That's one bad mf'in cowboy.....

Thank you.

I’m not sure if the OP forgot what number Oliver wears, but 91 was everywhere yesterday. There’s a reason that Darnold was constantly breaking the tackle box and throwing from outside the hashes.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Yeah, it is...given Darryl Johnson, a 7th rounder, made the active roster ahead of him.

Anybody who says they're not concerned with our top pick being benched is kidding themselves.

The media has even said he did absolutely nothing in training camp, except one rep where the guard and tackle tripped over eachother.

A 7th rounder with a full year of practicing with the team and playing some right? And omg did the MEDIA really say that? Well yeah his career is doomed. We should probably cut him now and save Beane the embarrassment of you being smarter 😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Ed Oliver will be just fine.

It's AJ Epenesa who we should be concerned with...hated that pick when it happened, hate it more now.

Man...you had me with the first sentence.  Then wow, you just lost me with the 2nd.  Its utterly crazy how many people can not seem to grasp the logic in why AJE didnt dress week 1.  

1. Hughes and Murphy, ONLY DE's on the team with experience in our system.  
  2. Murphy reportedly had a very strong camp, and combined with having 2 years in our system gave him the lead on starting.
  3. Addison, a perennial double sack player, was literally our 3rd DE.  So that means AJE would have had to beat out Addison, which was never going to happen going into week 1.
  4. Daryl is a ST ace, and him as the 4th spot was never up for grabs because of his significant importance to ST.
  5. Jefferson is really a DE helping at DT with Star opting out and Butler out week 1.  So he is someone can easily swing over to DE if injuries happened to our top 3 guys. 
  6. COVID had no preseason nor very little contact reps in camp for rookies to get up to speed and earn a bigger role.  And DE has a log jam, so AJE is a luxury, not a player at a position of need.
  7. McD loves bringing rookies around slow when possible. 
  8. We open the first 2 weeks with important divisional games, in a season where we have a real shot to contend and our schedule gets toughest down the stretch.  Meaning these are important for us to win, so those most ready to play will get priority, which lends itself to vets and returning players over rookies.  Same reason Murphy started over Addison even though Addison is the more accomplished and better all around player.  
  9. AJE was a luxury pick at our deepest position that was chosen for the future, not to be an immediate contributor.  

Why are so many people completely deaf to these facts.  They are not excuses, this is reality.  Is it common for a 2nd round pick to not dress week 1 when injuries were not a factor?  No...but its also not common to have no preseason, very little contact, etc in camp.  Its also not common that 2nd round picks come into a team positioning for a SB run while playing a position on a team that is as deep as the Bills DE rotation.  

The AJE not dressing week one is literally a non story in terms of the arc of his career.  It was actually not surprising at all to me.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Rc2catch said:

A 7th rounder with a full year of practicing with the team and playing some right? And omg did the MEDIA really say that? Well yeah his career is doomed. We should probably cut him now and save Beane the embarrassment of you being smarter 😂😂😂

Yup, because that's exactly what I said...isn't it, idiot?

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

have you read anything from the op?  he always, and i mean always manages to fit a knock of allen into any post he can.

If Allen had been nice enough to play worse Oliver would of gotten more opportunities.

1 minute ago, teef said:

personal insults?  

mocking a personal crusade?

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Man...you had me with the first sentence.  Then wow, you just lost me with the 2nd.  Its utterly crazy how many people can not seem to grasp the logic in why AJE didnt dress week 1.  

1. Hughes and Murphy, ONLY DE's on the team with experience in our system.  
  2. Murphy reportedly had a very strong camp, and combined with having 2 years in our system gave him the lead on starting.
  3. Addison, a perennial double sack player, was literally our 3rd DE.  So that means AJE would have had to beat out Addison, which was never going to happen going into week 1.
  4. Daryl is a ST ace, and him as the 4th spot was never up for grabs because of his significant importance to ST.
  5. Jefferson is really a DE helping at DT with Star opting out and Butler out week 1.  So he is someone can easily swing over to DE if injuries happened to our top 3 guys. 
  6. COVID had no preseason nor very little contact reps in camp for rookies to get up to speed and earn a bigger role.  And DE has a log jam, so AJE is a luxury, not a player at a position of need.
  7. McD loves bringing rookies around slow when possible. 
  8. We open the first 2 weeks with important divisional games, in a season where we have a real shot to contend and our schedule gets toughest down the stretch.  Meaning these are important for us to win, so those most ready to play will get priority, which lends itself to vets and returning players over rookies.  Same reason Murphy started over Addison even though Addison is the more accomplished and better all around player.  
  9. AJE was a luxury pick at our deepest position that was chosen for the future, not to be an immediate contributor.  

Why are so many people completely deaf to these facts.  They are not excuses, this is reality.  Is it common for a 2nd round pick to not dress week 1 when injuries were not a factor?  No...but its also not common to have no preseason, very little contact, etc in camp.  Its also not common that 2nd round picks come into a team positioning for a SB run while playing a position on a team that is as deep as the Bills DE rotation.  

The AJE not dressing week one is literally a non story in terms of the arc of his career.  It was actually not surprising at all to me.  

Love the excuses for why a 2nd round pick couldn't make the field, as if he's an UDFA.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Sorry you are just showing how little you know about the situation with this post.  First of all, who the heck cares where a player was drafted.  Once you get to the NFL, you are in the NFL and its what you do on the field.  Darryl is a ST ace, and one of our most important guys on ST.  When you are talking about the 4th depth spot, ST is a major factor.  The sheer fact you are disparaging Darrlys value based on his draft slot just shows how off base you are.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1