Where the Heck Was Oliver All Day?

GreggTX

12 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I am officially 'concerned' about Ed Oliver. I haven't given up on him, but all we got out of him was an assisted tackle. That's it. Zimmer played better. Hughes played better. Trent Murphy probably had the best game of any of our DL. Harrison Phillips did not play well either, though I wonder if he's 100%. Edmunds and Milano both dinged. It's not time to hit the panic button, but Oliver needs to start playing at a much higher level or he's going to make me miss Lotulelei.

Stop only caring about stat lines, especially from DTs on a stacked D-line.  Sometimes going unnoticed by casual observers is a good thing, like referees.

*edit*

Do you remember a different Star than the rest of us?  He didn't exactly light up the stat sheets.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Why is it so hard for folks to have a normal discussion? It has to be flipped to it being about Allen, something personal or we won so shut up. 

I dont have anything to add about Oliver because I did not notice him. I would have to go back and rewatch the game to see what how he played. Maybe played very well and was handling double teams all game. I dont know. But why can someone not ask this without it being some attack on the Bills. So sensitive. 

Fair enough. People really should be able to discuss these things without taking them so personally. 

Bringing up Allen is irrelevant to the conversation you're wanting to have as well.

Honestly, I didn't notice Oliver much at all yesterday, but hey, that's what posts like this are for right? Others that break these things down can tell us if there were thing we missed that just don't show up on the stat sheet.

Me, an idiot: The Bills jumped out to a big lead and cruised to an easy victory.  This is great!  How nice to enjoy a relaxing Sunday and roll into work the next day all happy and energized.

You, a genius: If you took away some of our points and gave the Jets some more points, the Bills would have barely even won, which is actually the same thing as a loss.  Also, one guy on the defense didn't have non-stop SportsCenter plays which means he's probably a bust.  At this point our only hope is to tank for a better draft spot.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JustWinPlease said:

Ed Oliver will be just fine.

It's AJ Epenesa who we should be concerned with...hated that pick when it happened, hate it more now.

He hasn’t even played a snap yet 😂😂😂

Crazy a 2nd rounder couldn’t even see the field immediately on this D line. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Fair enough. People really should be able to discuss these things without taking them so personally. 

Bringing up Allen is irrelevant to the conversation you're wanting to have as well.

Honestly, I didn't notice Oliver much at all yesterday, but hey, that's what posts like this are for right? Others that break these things down can tell us if there were thing we missed that just don't show up on the stat sheet.

I think the bigger issue is how many times people read stat sheets and draw (incomplete) definitive conclusions on this board.  I mean Oliver was getting all kinds of penetration yesterday, especially in the first half.  I thought it was one of his better games in terms of disruption.  

People make big deals out of sack numbers...but if Oliver has 8 - 10 sacks on the season, that will be seen as a big season.  But that is literally just 8 to 10 total plays all year...the vast majority of what DT do in the middle don't always burst on the stat sheet.  Some insane freaks like Donald pile up the stat sheet, but that is not the only way a DT makes a big impact, or even the most common.

So I think people just get frustrated by the hyper focus at times by posters on certain stats vs the context of the game and how they actually played on film.  

And yesterday, our DL dominated the Jets across the line.  Run stuffed, 3 sacks, disrupted Darnold all day, etc.  It was quite the team performance, especially with multiple new pieces and no preseason.  And Olive played a big role in all of that.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I am officially 'concerned' about Ed Oliver. I haven't given up on him, but all we got out of him was an assisted tackle. That's it. Zimmer played better. Hughes played better. Trent Murphy probably had the best game of any of our DL. Harrison Phillips did not play well either, though I wonder if he's 100%. Edmunds and Milano both dinged. It's not time to hit the panic button, but Oliver needs to start playing at a much higher level or he's going to make me miss Lotulelei.

He was Collapsing the Pocket ALL DAY.  I am not sure what game you watched.

4 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

It's AJ Epenesa who we should be concerned with...hated that pick when it happened, hate it more now.

He Will be Fine.  Th luxury the Bills have there, they are very talented in front of Him.  So they can take their time with AJ

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Yeah, it is...given Darryl Johnson, a 7th rounder, made the active roster ahead of him.

Anybody who says they're not concerned with our top pick being benched is kidding themselves.

The media has even said he did absolutely nothing in training camp, except one rep where the guard and tackle tripped over eachother.

Edited by JustWinPlease

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think the bigger issue is how many times people read stat sheets and draw (incomplete) definitive conclusions on this board.  I mean Oliver was getting all kinds of penetration yesterday, especially in the first half.  I thought it was one of his better games in terms of disruption.  

People make big deals out of sack numbers...but if Oliver has 8 - 10 sacks on the season, that will be seen as a big season.  But that is literally just 8 to 10 total plays all year...the vast majority of what DT do in the middle don't always burst on the stat sheet.  Some insane freaks like Donald pile up the stat sheet, but that is not the only way a DT makes a big impact, or even the most common.

So I think people just get frustrated by the hyper focus at times by posters on certain stats vs the context of the game and how they actually played on film.  

And yesterday, our DL dominated the Jets across the line.  Run stuffed, 3 sacks, disrupted Darnold all day, etc.  It was quite the team performance, especially with multiple new pieces and no preseason.  And Olive played a big role in all of that.  

100% agree. I'm even guilty of this to some extent, though more often with other teams than the Bills.

However, I genuinely didn't notice the impact Oliver had most of yesterday. That's on me, but I was hoping I'd see people in this thread point out what he did or maybe post some articles breaking down his play if any existed. Was not expecting people to turn it into a Josh Allen thing or anything.

But yeah, stat sheets don't tell the whole story, so glad to hear Oliver's play was felt even without the numbers.

16 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Honestly I dont think Darnold is getting enough credit.  It was a jailbreak all day behind that line and he managed to get rid of the ball a bunch of times where i was sure he was going to take a sack. Oliver played great.  He'll be fine.

You think Darnold deserves any credit for this game ? 
I mean a of course it could have been worse if not for few of breaks that went the jets way it could have been 49-0 

I guess looking at it that way he deserves credit !

Edited by Putin

5 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Looking back at the draft with the benefit of hindsight, there are no players in the end of the 2nd/beginning of the 3rd who stood a chance to come in and immediately contribute to this team.

The only other one MIGHT be Josh Uche (DE/OLB). Who was ALSO inactive for their game yesterday.

It's just the way it's going to rookies this year with short camps and no preseason.

• Like (+1) 1