PPP Under Fire

Great post D.R.

When I came back and saw that the Looney thread had been closed, that was the first thing I thought, that PPP was actually being threatened by the way posting had deteriorated over the past few months.

I know that I can do better, I have fallen into the trap lately of trying to "correct" some posters and I know that that is a fool's errand.

I may "refer" to a poster that I know most people  block, but I will blank it out.

I know with a pivotal election coming up, I would miss the input and knowledge that many posters share here, especially those out of WNY,

I will try to stick to posting articles and tweet opinions, that most people do not try to access.

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

I like my idea of a group ignore list!  Not people that have different political opinions, but people who are doing nothing but spamming 

Are we reaching across the aisle and coming to a consensus group?

I'm currently one of those 0 people on ignore folks, but I'm willing to listen.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ignore is your friend. Learn it, use it, embrace it. Do not encourage the trolls or the sock puppets.  🙂

DO exchange thoughts and well thought out arguments and discussions with those on all political sides. 🙂

Have a nice day. 🙂

I’ve only put one person on ignore which is a moot point seeing he’s appeared to have vanished. But I think I’m adding to it. @Deranged Rhino is going on my list.  I can’t have anyone making sense in my feed.  Be gone with you!

• Haha (+1) 7

16 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Are we reaching across the aisle and coming to a consensus group?

I'm currently one of those 0 people on ignore folks, but I'm willing to listen.

I’m the same.  And I can only think of two people that should be on it, though I think the list could be 3-4 people long.  

I have 100+ on my list. Many from the football forum...I just can't stand questions like "If you could pick one player from the 90's Bills to play on this team, which would it be?" When that other Bills forum went down, there was an influx of people that I didn't feel I needed to read posts from.

It's all about tailoring the board to suit your needs. I see nothing wrong with keeping your feed tight.

Edited by Prickly Pete
  • Like (+1) 2

PPP  is the biggest right leaning circle jerk forum of any I read because that is exactly what its core right wing partisan group wants.

Ignoring whom you consider trolls is just another way to censor thoughts or opinions you don't agree with.  Shocking ...Not in the least. 

You want to guarantee it be even worse than it already is just appoint one of the ringleaders of this forum a moderator. You may as well rename it MAGA central.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

PPP  is the biggest right leaning circle jerk forum of any I read because that is exactly what its core right wing partisan group wants.

Ignoring whom you consider trolls is just another way to censor thoughts or opinions you don't agree with.  Shocking ...Not in the least. 

You want to guarantee it be even worse than it already is just appoint one of the ringleaders of this forum a moderator. You may as well rename it MAGA central.

I don't place anyone on ignore.  But I can sympathize with those that do.  There are a few left leaning posters like Kemp that actually post meaningful responses.  Others who will go nameless do nothing more than repeat tired memes and or juvenile responses equal to the "I know you are but what am I" type responses. 

6 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

We have a winner.  It’s one thing to say that a better sense of decorum is required.  It’s another to say that different viewpoints should be stifled.  Civility is to be pursued and applauded.  But censorship is not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

When I came back and saw that the Looney thread had been closed,

What’d I miss?

I've been in the road for two days.

EDIT: I see that thread now.

No comment necessary.  

...and a few months ago I started making a concerted effort to refrain from engaging with provocative posts and individuals. It isn’t easy. I guess it is good training for other aspects of life. 

Edited by snafu
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know everyone's got to be sick of hearing me say it, but STOP REPLYING TO OBVIOUS TROLLS. 

The only reason they post the nonsense they do is because they know people will respond, and a few will be outraged. Every time you engage one of them you're letting them pull your strings. If Tibs told you to jump, would you do it? If no, then why do you respond to the nonsense?

An important point to consider: To argue with an idiot, you've got to stoop to the idiot's level. When you do, all anyone else sees are two idiots arguing. This goes for everyone. Every time you reply to an obvious troll, you invite them to continue trolling. Stop it.

Some people haven't been around long enough to see it, but there was a time when most of us who lean to the right would debate with each other over all kinds of issues. A person could learn a lot if they kept an open mind and a civil tongue. We don't have that anymore, and it's our fault.

It's our fault for engaging with the never ending parade of fools, because that gives them license to continue coming back, one sock puppet after another. 

I respect and appreciate DR's attempt to call attention to what's obviously a serious issue, but I believe the source of the problems are not the ones inciting anger and running to the mods, it's those of us that encourage them to do so by engaging them.

If PPP goes away, it will be on us, not them. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

7 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

2) Show your work: PPP is about expressing your own personal political opinions and thoughts, regardless of your partisanship. That should be fostered and protected ...

1 hour ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

Right on.

This thread is going to haunt the conspiracy ring leader until she/he deletes it for violating her/his own code of conduct.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, LB3 said:

If he was still around, I'd nominate @DC Tom.

"...Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight."

So, this may not be the place to ask this question, but what happened to DCTom? I genuinely miss his posts.

Edited by Buftex

16 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I don't want to do it, but would because I'm here enough. I'd love to see some others do it, but I have a feeling they wouldn't want the job (thinking of Buffalo Gal, Doc Brown, Azalin, KRC, and a few others). 

I had the job before and was called a Nazi for not allowing that crap. Then, hypocritical mods would just undo everything I did and then turn around and do the exact same thing that they said I was wrong for doing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Azalin said:

I know everyone's got to be sick of hearing me say it, but STOP REPLYING TO OBVIOUS TROLLS. 

The only reason they post the nonsense they do is because they know people will respond, and a few will be outraged. Every time you engage one of them you're letting them pull your strings. If Tibs told you to jump, would you do it? If no, then why do you respond to the nonsense?

An important point to consider: To argue with an idiot, you've got to stoop to the idiot's level. When you do, all anyone else sees are two idiots arguing. This goes for everyone. Every time you reply to an obvious troll, you invite them to continue trolling. Stop it.

Some people haven't been around long enough to see it, but there was a time when most of us who lean to the right would debate with each other over all kinds of issues. A person could learn a lot if they kept an open mind and a civil tongue. We don't have that anymore, and it's our fault.

It's our fault for engaging with the never ending parade of fools, because that gives them license to continue coming back, one sock puppet after another. 

I respect and appreciate DR's attempt to call attention to what's obviously a serious issue, but I believe the source of the problems are not the ones inciting anger and running to the mods, it's those of us that encourage them to do so by engaging them.

If PPP goes away, it will be on us, not them. 

“Parade of fools?”  Who might they be?  People who don’t share your worldview?  

and inciting anger?  With what, exactly?  A competing viewpoint?  Maybe the solution to your problems is to have an open mind. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, KRC said:

I had the job before and was called a Nazi for not allowing that crap. Then, hypocritical mods would just undo everything I did and then turn around and do the exact same thing that they said I was wrong for doing.

I'm not sure what can realistically be hoped to accomplish when banning is not part of the tool box to deal with problem posters.  Also, when limiting the number of threads started per week would cut down on LAMP's and gibberish type threads.  It's great to talk about ignore but I have seen other boards IMDb for one burned to the ground so to speak because the mods counted on the ignore function to solve all problems.  There was one poster with the handle of CJH who was creating new aliases by the hour on that board.  I'd like to think that all the problem children here are just bored people but I think several are paid to come on here and create mayhem.  Agree or disagree with the assessment that some people think this board can be used to sway opinion hence some of the posts but some post to assert their ideas.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

“Parade of fools?”  Who might they be?  People who don’t share your worldview?  

and inciting anger?  With what, exactly?  A competing viewpoint?  Maybe the solution to your problems is to have an open mind. 

Whomever they are doesn’t matter. But there certainly is a parade of fools here, and don’t assume they are all from one perspective. 

The problem is never about competing viewpoints. The problem has to to with the fact that people come here to fling poo without any intention of discussing an issue. There are a fair amount of people open to discussion. There is a growing number of people who aren’t. 

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Look before you leap;

Around here it is : “LURK before you leap.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm not sure what can realistically can be hoped to accomplish when banning is not part of the tool box to deal with problem posters.  Also, when limiting the number of threads started per week would cut down on LAMP's and gibberish type threads.  It's great to talk about ignore but I have seen other boards IMDb for one burned to the ground so to speak because the mods counted on the ignore function to solve all problems.  There was one poster with the handle of CJH who was creating new aliases by the hour on that board.  I'd like to think that all the problem children here are just bored people but I think several are paid to come on here and create mayhem.  Agree or disagree with the assessment that some people think this board can be used to sway opinion hence some of the posts but some post to assert their ideas.

But you don’t consider yourself a problem poster right?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, snafu said:

Whomever they are doesn’t matter. But there certainly is a parade of fools here, and don’t assume they are all from one perspective. 

The problem is never about competing viewpoints. The problem has to to with the fact that people come here to fling poo without any intention of discussing an issue. There are a fair amount of people open to discussion. There is a growing number of people who aren’t. 

Limiting one user identity per IP address will not eliminate that but it will greatly cut it down.  If the mods insist on ignore being the remedy then one identity will be much easier to ignore then the pooh becomes invisible for those who wish not to see it.

30 minutes ago, snafu said:

Thought I got my delete in on time 🤣

Very, very true. 

27 minutes ago, GOBUFFALO716 said:

But you don’t consider yourself a problem poster right?

I'm not a problem.  I only have one identity here based on one account.  I rarely start a new thread on PPP.  I do not use vulgar or inappropriate language.  My texts are rarely more than 100-150 words per post so easy to digest.  The worst that I am is a little incoherent first thing in the morning as my eyes take 15-20 minutes to adjust to the font and print size of the PC I use.  This morning was not a good morning and might be time for the bifocals or reading glasses the optometrist has been suggesting.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Plenty of other one-sided outlets out there. TSW doesn’t need it and it’s got a dark history as a seedy underbelly of an otherwise good site. 

And putting the biggest board bully and content bomber in charge of moderation is an absurd idea. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Plenty of other one-sided outlets out there. TSW doesn’t need it and it’s got a dark history as a seedy underbelly of an otherwise good site. 

And putting the biggest board bully and content bomber in charge of moderation is an absurd idea. 

Who's the biggest board bully? If your so unhappy here, why don't you just leave? I'm sure you could find outlets that are more in line with your believes. There are plenty of them out there. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Good post by the OP.  TSW has been too political lately and unpleasant as a result.  The politics was tolerated much more than I thought it would in that forum.

I think that's because it is completely unavoidable to not have politics come up in every single thread that's been created about Covid IR, Will they play a full season, what happens if a game is canceled, and should fans be allowed in the stands.

It is impossible to not have a discussion about how serious the threat is, why blue states are being more resistant to any gatherings vs red ones, and all that comes with those discussions.  It is absolutely impossible.

Then add to that, the BLM has made every single sports league cave.  We're going to get treated with shaming PSAs during every game.  Messages in the end zone.  

If it looks harder and harder to keep politics out of anything let alone sports its because it is.  Doesn't Jeremy White like to mock everyone with his "but stick to sports" insult whenever something he deems unjust has happened and thinks a player should speak out.  Unless of course that player is a Trump fan and thinks you should have "choose life" as a message on your helmet.  

Liberals ruin everything.   That's a life lesson kids.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

PPP  is the biggest right leaning circle jerk

Right wing circle jerk! Everyone drink!

13 hours ago, bdutton said:

There are a few left leaning posters like Kemp that actually post meaningful responses.

Except you. Anyone who thinks Trump has meaningful posts has already had too much to drink. He makes BillsTime appear coherent.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

....sounds like you subscribe to the same teleprompter service that Whoa No Joe uses to write your eloquent posts.......yet you show up here anyway......validation as to your petulant fraud status....congrats......

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I think that's because it is completely unavoidable to not have politics come up in every single thread that's been created about Covid IR, Will they play a full season, what happens if a game is canceled, and should fans be allowed in the stands.

It is impossible to not have a discussion about how serious the threat is, why blue states are being more resistant to any gatherings vs red ones, and all that comes with those discussions.  It is absolutely impossible.

Then add to that, the BLM has made every single sports league cave.  We're going to get treated with shaming PSAs during every game.  Messages in the end zone.  

If it looks harder and harder to keep politics out of anything let alone sports its because it is.  Doesn't Jeremy White like to mock everyone with his "but stick to sports" insult whenever something he deems unjust has happened and thinks a player should speak out.  Unless of course that player is a Trump fan and thinks you should have "choose life" as a message on your helmet.  

Liberals ruin everything.   That's a life lesson kids.

No matter how hard some of us try, it seems no one cares that we turn to pastimes like sports and entertainment to ESCAPE politics and the increased amount of divisiveness it intentionally creates. 

We don't want or need to be lectured by LeBron James, Taylor Swift, Colin Kaepernick or Jim Gaffigan. We don't need to be educated by a Drew Brees helmet sticker. We just want to enjoy the effin' game or concert. My only hope is that the huge BLM push by MLB and NBA continues to destroy the fanbase so they'll all STFU and get back to doing what we asked them to do: perform for a few hours so as to distract us from the daily grind.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1