Unpopular Bills takes, Past and present.

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

Not sure I agree that Polian is overrated, at least during his time in Buffalo.. but I very much agree about Whaley.  

Here's the draft record...every player who played 100+ games plus a few other notables.   He didn't hit it out of the park every year, but overall a lot of big names on that list, especially in the early years.

image.thumb.png.d33a449838cdcff14251ec65c69f7331.png

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Past part 2: Dick Jauron was the worst Bills coach in my Bills lifetime...in my 48 years of living and dying with this team, the Dick Jauron era was the most joyless time of all. They may not have been the worst Bills teams ever, but they were just misrable to watch. I will never forget that Sunday late in the season, playing he Jets in the Meadowlands...Bills, after a mini good-start to the season lost something like six of eight games..the season, like so many others was circling the drain...but the Bills have a 27-24 win in the final minutes....JP Losman is getting his final shot at proving himself as a starting QB on a lousy team. All they gotta do is ice the game...run the clock out...we can all be a little happy for a week...but nope...all the sudden Jauron turns into the riverboat gambler. Marshawn Lynch had been gashing the Jets defense all day...just giving him the effing ball, run the clock out!  But instead, on 2nd & 5, deep in their own end, Jauron calls for a playaction pass, at the last second...JP, playing with that "bee in his helmet", gets some pressure, and immediately decides he is going to run it...fumble scooped up by the Jets, and returned for the game wining TD.  I was so, so pissed.  And the camera goes to Jauron, motionless, with that deer in the headlights look...so angry.  It is the most angry I have ever beeen after a Bills loss. That night, I decided, "screw this, I am bailing on the last few games of the season, life is too short for this garbage".  Of course, I was back at the bar the rest of the season...but that was the first time I ever gave any serious consideration, for just a minute, of giving up on the Bills.  It still pisses me off, 12 years later!

Good point about those Dick Jauron years. 

7-9

7-9

7-9

6-10

Total mediocrity. 

Gailey follows him up and goes  4-12, 6-10, 6-10 but his teams seemed way more exciting and competitive. I guess the difference between a decent offensive team that sucks and a decent defensive team that sucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I think most have come to realize he was a good leader of men, but a mediocre game day coach who succeeded by having superior talent in 90% of the games.   From a coaching standpoint, he was totally over matched in those SBs as he went up against one all-time great after another.

All those hall of fame players we had give him a ton of praise and credit him for helping them become the players they were.

I have to trust the players on this one. Those guys loved him and respected him a ton.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Because I think he was at best average at drafting, not just in Buffalo, but Indy too. The best 2 players he ever drafted were consensus #1 overalls in Bruce and Manning. Give him credit for Getting Andre Reed in the 4th round. He built those teams in a pre-salarycap era largely by paying Jim Kelly the highest salary ever for an NFL player.

Essentially, I think a lot of Polian's success was luck of getting franchise QB's and elite talent at the top of drafts. And the fact that neither the Bills nor the Colts won anywhere near as much as they should have is the result of his weaknesses. He had a ton of mid round picks that never even ended up playing a game. Granted, there was a lot more rounds in those days , but if he didn't need the picks he should have done something more valuable with them.

Edit: I think the fact that he didn't build the Bills on a salary cap in Buffalo, and that he was unable to build a balanced team in Indy under a cap is further indictment.

I think it's a pretty hot take to say that Peyton Manning was the consensus #1 overall pick. There was a ton of debate between Manning and Leaf.

In hindsight Manning was a surefire pick there, but at the time it was not clear cut at all. There were numerous people who believed that Leaf would be an absolute stud.

Just now, MJS said:

All those hall of fame players we had give him a ton of praise and credit him for helping them become the players they were.

I have to trust the players on this one. Those guys loved him and respected him a ton.

He certainly deserves credit for holding that team with so many egos together so long.

36 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Past: Drew Bledsoe's first 8 games of the 2002 season may have been the best stretch of games by any Bills QB in my Bills lifetime..which starts around 1972. 

Past part 2: Dick Jauron was the worst Bills coach in my Bills lifetime...in my 48 years of living and dying with this team, the Dick Jauron era was the most joyless time of all. They may not have been the worst Bills teams ever, but they were just misrable to watch. I will never forget that Sunday late in the season, playing he Jets in the Meadowlands...Bills, after a mini good-start to the season lost something like six of eight games..the season, like so many others was circling the drain...but the Bills have a 27-24 win in the final minutes....JP Losman is getting his final shot at proving himself as a starting QB on a lousy team. All they gotta do is ice the game...run the clock out...we can all be a little happy for a week...but nope...all the sudden Jauron turns into the riverboat gambler. Marshawn Lynch had been gashing the Jets defense all day...just giving him the effing ball, run the clock out!  But instead, on 2nd & 5, deep in their own end, Jauron calls for a playaction pass, at the last second...JP, playing with that "bee in his helmet", gets some pressure, and immediately decides he is going to run it...fumble scooped up by the Jets, and returned for the game wining TD.  I was so, so pissed.  And the camera goes to Jauron, motionless, with that deer in the headlights look...so angry.  It is the most angry I have ever beeen after a Bills loss. That night, I decided, "screw this, I am bailing on the last few games of the season, life is too short for this garbage".  Of course, I was back at the bar the rest of the season...but that was the first time I ever gave any serious consideration, for just a minute, of giving up on the Bills.  It still pisses me off, 12 years later!

Present: I got a feeling, Buffalo's going to the Super Bowl...

Worst part about that play is that it was obvious what was going to happen as soon as JP started moving. I remember screaming at the TV as that Jet closed in on him, "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" :thumbdown:

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Good point about those Dick Jauron years. 

7-9

7-9

7-9

6-10

Total mediocrity. 

Gailey follows him up and goes  4-12, 6-10, 6-10 but his teams seemed way more exciting and competitive. I guess the difference between a decent offensive team that sucks and a decent defensive team that sucks. 

Yeah, it was like the only decent offensive football of the drought years. That's why people think of Fitzpatrick and Gailey with somewhat fond memories. But they were terrible at winning football games.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Past: Drew Bledsoe's first 8 games of the 2002 season may have been the best stretch of games by any Bills QB in my Bills lifetime..which starts around 1972. 

Present: I got a feeling, Buffalo's going to the Super Bowl...

Ugh...THAT game...was still living in the ADKs and bartending.  Bunch of annoying Jets (and Giants) fans were at the bar, snowmobilers.  Bills sucked but AT LEAST I'd have some bragging rights that day.  Went to the kitchen to grab someone's wings or whatever are heard an explosion of cheers and laughter.  I wanted to walk right out the kitchen door and drive home.

Edited by Bills fan since 87

14 minutes ago, Rico said:

Worst part about that play is that it was obvious what was going to happen as soon as JP started moving. I remember screaming at the TV as that Jet closed in on him, "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" :thumbdown:

You have two ***** plays to get 5 yards and you win the game...just give the ball to Mashawn...not quite the Peter Carroll Super Bowl brain fart, but my blood still boils when I think about it.

Edited by Buftex

52 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Here's the draft record...every player who played 100+ games plus a few other notables.   He didn't hit it out of the park every year, but overall a lot of big names on that list, especially in the early years.

image.thumb.png.d33a449838cdcff14251ec65c69f7331.png

Pretty impressive list in my opinion. But even beyond the draft, I think people forget (or maybe too young to remember) how poorly run the franchise was between Chuck Knox leaving, and Polian getting the GM job. Ralph was still "carpetbagger" Ralph at that point. Polian had to work around that, found good people at cut rate, and knew personel as well as anyone at that time.   He did a very respectable job with the Panthers too. Having Manning when he was in Indy may have covered up for some poor rosters.

Chan Gailey wasn’t an offensive genius. We often blame those years on Gailey’s inability to manage both sides of the ball, but the reality is different. His offense was a gimmick that only worked a few weeks every season, then we’d have long streaks of struggling to score points. People mostly remember the exciting Gailey games, but forget the dreadful 24-10 type loses those seasons were also filled with. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think it's a pretty hot take to say that Peyton Manning was the consensus #1 overall pick. There was a ton of debate between Manning and Leaf.

In hindsight Manning was a surefire pick there, but at the time it was not clear cut at all. There were numerous people who believed that Leaf would be an absolute stud.

"The weight of opinion in the NFL now says that Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning is the clear choice, ahead of Leaf, as the No. 1 pick in the draft, which will be held on April 18 and 19. In the wake of a meteoric Rose Bowl season that sent his pro stock soaring, Leaf became a sort of joint entry with Manning. Discussion of one player rarely passed without mention of the other. There was little doubt that Manning and Leaf would be the top two draft picks; the issue was which would be selected by the Indianapolis Colts, who will choose first, and which would end up with the San Diego Chargers, who have the second selection.

But in the view of a six-man blue-ribbon panel that analyzed game tapes of the players for SI, Leaf doesn't rank as high as Manning. Each expert was asked: If you had to pick one of these players, whom would you take? With different degrees of conviction, each said Manning. Three said they would be shocked if the Colts didn't select him."

https://vault.si.com/vault/1998/04/13/the-chairmen-peyton-manning-and-ryan-leaf-are-the-class-of-the-nfl-draft-but-experts-say-one-of-them-stands-head-and-shoulder-pads-above-the-other

Edited by BullBuchanan

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, it was like the only decent offensive football of the drought years. That's why people think of Fitzpatrick and Gailey with somewhat fond memories. But they were terrible at winning football games.

Nobody wants to admit it because it’s more fun to crack jokes, but Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey were integral first steps to righting the nearly 20 years of wrong with this franchise. It took longer than we wanted, but the team had come off of a run at GM that included the corpse of Marv Levy,  Russ Brandon, and Tom Donohoe running our drafts. George Wilson was our starting SS and the dude was a WR like 12 weeks before the season. Think about that. That’s the depth chart Gailey and Nix inherited. Your best Safety could also be your slot receiver. There is literally nobody else on the roster...on a franchise in the NFL. Let’s not forget before that Tom D. Traded a first for Rob Johnson. Then had 20% of the cap tied up in Flutie and Johnson in 2000. Later cut RJ and took a larger dead cap hit on top of that. Our top 5 players are like 50% of the cap at that point. Then he traded ANOTHER First round pick for Drew Bledsoe. But wait, we aren’t done yet, in 2004 we traded a 1st and 2nd round pick to trade back into the first for JP Losman. What a total disaster. 

Gailey and Fitz are remembered better than Jauron because we had real football players, real football coaches, and a real football exec in the FO (granted with flaws). What those guys inherited in hindsight was not a professional football franchise. It reads almost like “Major League”. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Past- Doug a Marone wasn’t a bad coach. Just because he took advantage of an opt out, doesn’t erase the fact that he was part of this teams turn around. From 14’ on, the Bills went from a joke, to respectable. He was a part of that initial step. McDermott is better, no question...but people act like Marone was terrible just because they were pissed at him for leaving

I think Doug’s record since he quit in Buffalo has shown that while he might not be a “bad” coach, he’s also not a particularly good one. He’s middling on his best day, with a 39-46 career record including playoffs. He brings discipline to a team but doesn’t appear to be very adept at game planning for either the offensive or defensive side of the ball. He’s had conflicts with star players and his overly conservative mindset kept his team from going to a Super Bowl. He did win a couple of playoff games so there’s that, but he also took that Jaguars team coming off an AFC Championship game appearance and drove them into the ground (11-21 since).

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Fred Jackson would have had a HOF career if we didn't draft Lynch and Spiller and made Jackson our future back from day one.

Lynch was easily the better back. 

Hot take I don’t take back: Buffalo, the same city that put Kaeps face in cross hairs, ran Lynch out of town. Dude was parked on the side of the road in a rich neighborhood in a Mercedes. Cops came to the car for no reason. Claimed to smell pot. Searched the car, found no burning or burnt weed, but did find a registered gun in a backpack in the trunk along with a couple of joints in the bag.

It was a giant nothing burger. It wasn’t some thugged out incident threatening his career. Oh yeah, he clipped a drunk girl dancing in the street in the rain. Not condoning that, but this isn’t any wild uncontrollable behavior. 

That was a stupid trade. 

Edited by Mango
Grammar/Auto Correct
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, eball said:

I think Doug’s record since he quit in Buffalo has shown that while he might not be a “bad” coach, he’s also not a particularly good one. He’s middling on his best day, with a 39-46 career record including playoffs. He brings discipline to a team but doesn’t appear to be very adept at game planning for either the offensive or defensive side of the ball. He’s had conflicts with star players and his overly conservative mindset kept his team from going to a Super Bowl. He did win a couple of playoff games so there’s that, but he also took that Jaguars team coming off an AFC Championship game appearance and drove them into the ground (11-21 since).

I think he is the Meh version Gregg Williams. Like he isn’t even as good as Greggo at the bad things. Marrone is an OK HC, but can’t get out of his own way, and most importantly his douchey, arrogant, schtick gets old quick. He’s a good interim coach for a franchise in turmoil but you can’t hitch your wagon to him. 

Greggo is actually a much better coordinator and coach than Marrone I think, at least when it comes to the actual X’s and O’s. Gregg is also an A-hole, so is Marrone, but in addition to not coaching as well as Gregg, Marrone isn’t as good at being a dick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think he is the Meh version Gregg Williams. Like he isn’t even as good as Greggo at the bad things. Marrone is an OK HC, but can’t get out of his own way, and most importantly his douchey, arrogant, schtick gets old quick. He’s a good interim coach for a franchise in turmoil but you can’t hitch your wagon to him. 

Greggo is actually a much better coordinator and coach than Marrone I think, at least when it comes to the actual X’s and O’s. Gregg is also an A-hole, so is Marrone, but in addition to not coaching as well as Gregg, Marrone isn’t as good at being a dick. 

Greggo is a worse HC than Doug. He’s a decent coordinator but to me he seems like a caricature of himself now. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Bill Polian is drastically overrated in Buffalo
Doug Whaley was a much better GM than most in Buffalo think. If he hit on QB, his whole story is different.

So it is just a coincidence and luck that the three teams Polian was GM for were winners? Carolina in it's 2nd year to the NFC Championship, Buffalo to Super Bowls and Colts to numerous consecutive playoff appearances (8) and a Super Bowl win? Though important, drafting is only part of the role and responsibility of a GM; there is a whole lot more to the job than that, which directly impacts a team.

• Like (+1) 1

Past: Rewatch the first 15 minutes of SBXXVII, if you dare. You’ll see a Bills team that grabbed early momentum (blocked punt, early TD, FG) and could’ve beaten the Cowboys but for a couple fluke plays on D that sent the game into a comedic tailspin. Honorable mention, the Cowboys got away with multiple flagrant personal conduct fouls (here’s looking at you “ol go for the knees” Ken Norton Jr.) that iced their cake. 

Present: Levi Wallace will still start this year over the imported competition and lock it down opposite White. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m glad we kept Kemp.

Me too. I got his autograph as a kid after a practice at the old Blasdell Motel field they used as a training camp in those days (hard to believe with their facilities these days https://www.thegamebeforethemoney.com/this-might-surprise-you-pro-football-training-camp-at-a-motel/ ). 

Years later my wife saw him at a convention he was speaking at and told him about that autograph, so he gave her another one to give me for posterity.  ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Honestly my least popular take ever on this board (even more so than not being a fan of the Josh Allen selection) was saying that Nate Peterman didn't have enough talent to spend a draft pick on. I had said it all that draft season way before he became a Bill but suddenly when we drafted him it became an unpopular take. 

I have been on these forums some 7 or 8 years and saying before he ever played a game that Nate Peterman totally sucked is the only opinion that has ever resulted in abusive and threatening PMs. 

Of course it isn't controversial now. But he had a completely crazed fanbase on here for a while. 

Will Jake Fromm (State Farm) be as popular as Peterman?  Maybe the thing we’ll miss the most with no preseason games is getting to watch him.

28 minutes ago, eball said:

Greggo is a worse HC than Doug. He’s a decent coordinator but to me he seems like a caricature of himself now. 

Meh, tomato tomato. I generally agree. I was just saying that Marrone is Greggo lite. He isn’t as good of a coordinator (what I meant by coach) and he isn’t as good at being an arrogant prick. Maybe Marrone is a better HC but GW is the better coordinator. Maybe not. That’s a different thread. I also don’t think we “missed the boat” by getting rid of him at all. I will say those were the Donohoe years though. We had some good defenses if I recall, but we also spent 3 1sts, a 2nd, and a 4th on Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, and Drew Bledsoe. At one point Flutie and Johnson accounted for 10M of our cap. The highest paid player in the league at that point was Bledsoe at $8.5M. Don’t worry. We traded for Bledsoe later. And our top 5 players accounted for about 50% of our entire cap. The team was destined for failure too to bottom. 

(I just posted something similar about TD earlier in the thread. I was happy to use it again. Ha)

41 minutes ago, jabu said:

So it is just a coincidence and luck that the three teams Polian was GM for were winners? Carolina in it's 2nd year to the NFC Championship, Buffalo to Super Bowls and Colts to numerous consecutive playoff appearances (8) and a Super Bowl win? Though important, drafting is only part of the role and responsibility of a GM; there is a whole lot more to the job than that, which directly impacts a team.

Yes. He was an average drafter at best, did not appear to be able to manage a salary cap correctly and for all the talent that was graced upon him, he got 1 super bowl out of the whole thing. Overrated doesn't mean he was terrible. He had next to nothing to do with the 97 panthers success who would follow up that fluke NFC Championship appearance with 7 seasons before they posted another winning record.

As evidenced by what happened as soon as Manning was injured, it because clear that the entire franchise was a joke without him. They were a glass cannon built around a single player. 

Edited by BullBuchanan

18 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Past: Rewatch the first 15 minutes of SBXXVII, if you dare. You’ll see a Bills team that grabbed early momentum (blocked punt, early TD, FG) and could’ve beaten the Cowboys but for a couple fluke plays on D that sent the game into a comedic tailspin. Honorable mention, the Cowboys got away with multiple flagrant personal conduct fouls (here’s looking at you “ol go for the knees” Ken Norton Jr.) that iced their cake. 

Present: Levi Wallace will still start this year over the imported competition and lock it down opposite White. 

Not much of a hot take. He had the job last year. Also E.J. Gaines opted out. Who is left Taron Johnson? He generally plays in the nickel and does a good job there. The only one close to upsetting Wallace is Norman. He’s a total wild card at the moment. It does sound like he picked off JA today though. 

The hot take might be what you mean by “lock it down”

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yes. He was an average drafter at best, did not appear to be able to manage a salary cap correctly and for all the talent that was graced upon him, he got 1 super bowl out of the whole thing. Overrated doesn't mean he was terrible.

So "for all the talent that was graced upon him", who was responsible for putting that together? And isn't it the coaches that are responsible for taking that talent and producing championships? GM's don't coach the talent.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, jabu said:

So "for all the talent that was graced upon him", who was responsible for putting that together? And isn't it the coaches that are responsible for taking that talent and producing championships? GM's don't coach the talent.

Was he responsible for the greatest pass rusher in NFL history and the 2nd greatest quarterback in NFL history being available to him with the 1rst overall pick? 

When Peyton got injured, a perennial Superbowl contender immediately became the worst team in the league and they stayed that way until they "Lucked" into another immediate franchise QB. He was in the right place at the right time, that's all.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Was he responsible for the greatest pass rusher in NFL history and the 2nd greatest quarterback in NFL history being available to him with the 1rst overall pick? 

When Peyton got injured, a perennial Superbowl contender immediately became the worst team in the league and they stayed that way until they "Lucked" into another immediate franchise QB. He was in the right place at the right time, that's all.

OK, so you are confirming my premise in my first post, that you just think it was luck that he has put together winning playoff teams everywhere he 's been a GM. ??

Marv was an average coach and should not be in the HOF.  Just about any other HC wins SuperBowl XXV if they tell Kelly to stop throwing and keep giving Thurman the ball

Talley was an average LB and should not be on the Wall of Fame

Tasker does not belong in the HOF

Reed was a great player but a fringe HOF player. However when they let in Irvin and Monk, Reed should have followed the second year he was eligible.

Edmunds would be a first team all-pro Outside LB. I'm not sure he will ever be a great middle linebacker. 

Star will be missed.

White is a great corner but he is not an elite shut down corner.

Owning and wearing a Brian Moorman jersey is sad

I don't understand fans wearing old player jerseys to games for guys like Owens, Lynch, Moorman, Evans, Spiller, or any other Bill that is not a true great.  Spend a few bucks and get a jersey for a current player or where Bills team gear.  Once an average player is gone from the Bills donate that thing to Goodwill.

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I agree about Whaley. He wasn't nearly as bad as his reputation around here.  Don't know enough about Polian to judge him one way or the other.

He really was.

But still, nice unpopular take.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Lynch was easily the better back. 

Hot take I don’t take back: Buffalo, the same city that put Kaeps face in cross hairs, ran Lynch out of town. Dude was parked on the side of the road in a rich neighborhood in a Mercedes. Cops came to the car for no reason. Claimed to smell pot. Searched the car, found no burning or burnt weed, but did find a registered gun in a backpack in the trunk along with a couple of joints in the bag.

It was a giant nothing burger. It wasn’t some thugged out incident threatening his career. Oh yeah, he clipped a drunk girl dancing in the street in the rain. Not condoning that, but this isn’t any wild uncontrollable behavior. 

That was a stupid trade. 

That Mercedes pot thing didn't happen in Buffalo. It was in Culver City, California.

And Lynch forced his way out of Buffalo. Let's look again at his yards per carry over 2007 to 2014:

2007  4.0

2008  4.1

2009  3.8

2010  3.6

2011  4.2

2012  5.0

2013  4.2

2014  4.7

Is it me, or are there two outliers there? Weird ....!  Funny how his first full year in Seattle he all of a sudden became quite excellent again. You'd think, "Boy, those OLs in Buffalo in 2009 and 2010 must have sucked," if Freddy hadn't run for 4.5 and 4.2 YPC behind the same OLs those two years.

That trade was forced on them.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

No, he wasn't responsible for Bruce being available. But that's a pretty precise re-framing job. Looked at it in that way, no GM was ever responsible for who was available to him, nor every will be.

But yes, he was precisely responsible for picking him. He could've made a mistake. He didn't. Same with Manning vs. Ryan Leaf. Could've made a mistake. Didn't.

Polian was a terrific drafter. Bill, anyway.

And by the time that Peyton had that injury and was out for the year, Chris Polian had taken over Indy's drafts for the previous three years from his dad. I'd have no argument with you if you want to argue that Chris Polian is not much of a drafter.

Anyway, good unpopular take. I know this thread title is constructed to produce takes that are hard to back up, I get that.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

I will defend Polian a little in Indy (although I do think there is some truth to your overall critique). Had Manning missed a season 4 or 5 years earlier I think the Colts would have still been a .500 football team. By the time he did miss a season they were an old and uneven roster. That was in part Polian semi-retiring and handing the reigns to his son who was next to useless and in part coaching that really struggled to wean itself off vets that it trusted. Freeney and Mathis were still hogging the snaps despite them spending a 1st on a young Jerry Hughes. Good organisations know how to do that transition and Indy didn't. Not absolving Polian from all blame. It was still "his watch" but you can't quite judge his entire time there by the mess at the end. There were other architects of that.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Maybe Marrone is a better HC but GW is the better coordinator. Maybe not.

I think this is absolutely right.

• Like (+1) 1

If we are talking unpopular takes that are still unpopular..... Stephon Gilmore was a really good Bill. He didn't give up, or avoid contact or any of the other crazy accusations. Nor does he get fewer penalties on him because he plays in New England. Other than his rookie year (which is understandable) his highest penalty count came in 2018 as a Patriot.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beast said:

Talent all over the roster except on the offensive side of the ball.

Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Hogan, Goodwin, Clay, McCoy, Karlos Williams...... I mean it has taken us basically 5 years to get back to a lineup of skill position players like that. I would probably take 2020 over 2015, just. But this is the first year since that you can even make an argument that the talent is on par or better.

• Like (+1) 1