Chiefs, star DT Chris Jones reach four-year deal worth up to $85 million per source

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Where is the $ coming from?   I thought they were cap strapped 

Good teams find a way. It's up to the GM to figure out how to make it work. Us fans should just enjoy it. Something us "Cash-to-Cap" abused Bills fans will need to get used to.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Good teams find a way. It's up to the GM to figure out how to make it work. Us fans should just enjoy it. Something us "Cash-to-Cap" abused Bills fans will need to get used to.

We will be heading that was soon enough. Once we need to start re-signing all of our young stars like Allen, White, Edmunds etc. Beane spent the past couple of seasons freeing up cap space and accumulating young talent, but eventual he will have to pay the piper. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fans should start preparing the “Ed Oliver shouldn’t be paid more than Chris Jones” takes for 2 years from now.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

They must have turned the salary cap option off before starting this season. I wonder if they even play on all madden.

Serious question, and maybe worth it’s own thread: What does COVID do to the cap? No fans, maybe no games? If you know what comes from that, I’d love to hear it. I’ve heard they are talking about taking the shared revenue/cap hit over one year, or maybe 5-10 years. As a player I’d love to get my money right now. 

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Fans should start preparing the “Ed Oliver shouldn’t be paid more than Chris Jones” takes for 2 years from now.

Ed still has a lot to prove 

• Like (+1) 2

Interesting, I didn't expect him to stay in KC. This reminded me that Tyreek Hill also signed some crazy "highest paid in the league" extension last year too so I really have no idea how this math works. I guess they've potentially got a lot of skill players on rookie contracts. I'm taking a look at their depth chart and I also haven't heard of any of the Chiefs current linebackers so there's that too. Secondary looks pretty rough as well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

Interesting, I didn't expect him to stay in KC. This reminded me that Tyreek Hill also signed some crazy "highest paid in the league" extension last year too so I really have no idea how this math works. I guess they've potentially got a lot of skill players on rookie contracts. I'm taking a look at their depth chart and I also haven't heard of any of the Chiefs current linebackers so there's that too. Secondary looks pretty rough as well.

Yea, they’re linebackers and secondary almost looks like a list of random PS guys.  

DL has some serious talent and the offense is obviously bonkers with Mahomes, a decent OL and Kelce, Hill, Hardman, Watkins, Williams and CEH. 

Feels weird to type that offensive talent out and feel like we’re close with the skill surrounding Allen now. 

Edited by SCBills

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yea, they’re linebackers and secondary almost looks like a list of random PS guys.  

DL has some serious talent and the offense is obviously bonkers with Mahomes, a decent OL and Kelce, Hill, Hardman, Watkins, Williams and CEH. 

Feels weird to type that offensive talent out and feel like we’re close with the skill surrounding Allen now. 

It feels even weirder that we can discuss Kansas City as being legitimate competition! That's why I'm trying to poke some holes. I'd take our backs as well, but the Mahomes-Kelce-Hill trio is absurd and easily the most dangerous offensive combo in the league.

I can almost guarantee Sammy flakes out this year (or whatever our next "year" is) after his postseason last year and that incredibly weird interview he did shortly after. I'm a fan of the guy and his talent, it's just a feeling. He already talked about taking some time off in that same interview. If he plays I can see him easily being the same inconsistent weirdo that he's known for being - goes off for 184 yards in some important game but then catches three balls over the next four games. Give me John Brown.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Call us when Oliver gets confused with Chris Jones...

I know who played better as a rookie..... clearly how Oliver progresses remains to be seen.

As for the general point.... this is what good teams do. Good teams are consistently up against the cap and manipulating it to suit their needs. You win nothing with cap space. Cap space is a means to an end. When you have Mahomes, Jones, Kelce, Hill, Fisher, Schwartz, Mathieu and Clark under contract you don't need a ton of cap space. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Him and honey badger are the only good defensive players they have at this point. their defense is a considerable weakness 

Frank Clark too. I am not a huge Clark fan (certainly don't think he is elite) and you could argue he is slightly overpaid but he is a good player. 

Their other safety as well who they took in the 2019 draft (name escapes me) is a good player and had a good rookie season.

They are bad at corner still and didn't address it before day 3 in the draft (I'd have gone there at #32 thought the LSU tailback was a luxury pick, but when you are Superbowl Champions you can afford a bit of luxury). 

The one really bad contract on the Chiefs is for Hitchens at linebacker. The overpaid for him in free agency a couple of years back and he is at best a league average player at his spot. They can get out of it after this season and if Willie Gay has anything like a decent rookie year I expect they will. 

It was interesting I didn’t expect the Chris Jones deal at $15-16 mil./yr., and the Sammy payout made sense.  What was interesting some may have listened to last week was they went through the Mahomes deal.  Basically Kirwan said it will take 8 years for Mahomes to make what Wilson is making now.  It was a very team friendly deal that yes, made Mahomes a lot of $ if he goes the full 10, but back loaded so the team has cash now to preserve these other guys.  They also said by the time his deal is up, he’ll most likely based on history of other deals be the 12th-14th highest played QB.

That is why so many agents and players don’t want to do such a long deal.  They’d rather with the cap increasing after this COVID thing, make Mahomes more $ to do a 3 to 4 year deal and then do another.  Mahomes loves the Chiefs and wants to win another SB.  He proved that with his wallet much like Brady in NE.  The difference is Brady took a haircut, but didn’t get as much talent for the deal, whereas at least Hunt, and Reid are surrounding Mahomes with an elite WR, TE, defensive players, etc.  Now when healthy people don’t like Sammy, but he is a great 2nd WR.  He was smart to take the pay cut because if he does have a solid year with no injuries, he can talk someone into another pay day.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They allowed the 7th fewest point last year.

Their defense is now built to play with a lead. That was why they made the change from Sutton to Spags. When Houston beat them in the regular season they did so by keeping up and getting ahead. When the Colts beat them they got ahead and ran it down their throats. That is where KC's D is vulnerable. But they have an offense that will normally be ahead and so they have spent the bit of cash they have spent on the defense to build a D that can play with the lead. It is complimentary football (a phrase normally reserved for teams who play D and run the ball). 

• Like (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Their defense is now built to play with a lead. That was why they made the change from Sutton to Spags. When Houston beat them in the regular season they did so by keeping up and getting ahead. When the Colts beat them they got ahead and ran it down their throats. That is where KC's D is vulnerable. But they have an offense that will normally be ahead and so they have spent the bit of cash they have spent on the defense to build a D that can play with the lead. It is complimentary football (a phrase normally reserved for teams who play D and run the ball). 

Playing with a lead will challenge your pass Defense.  Theirs was 8th in yards and pints allowed--even with bad CBs.  But yes run D is bad.

But in the SB, they fell behind and the D took over, giving nothing to Mostert and then punishing Jimmy G until Mahomes left his funk.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Him and honey badger are the only good defensive players they have at this point. their defense is a considerable weakness 

They just put all their resources into defense.  It’s better to have young, cheap guys than overpaid ones. KC is going to be really good for a long time. Good for their fans.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Excellent point.  It’s like the Colts d during the Manning years was based on pass rushers.  If they got the lead, their guys could tee off and put the game away. 

it’s why I’m starting to hate the Allen comeback stat.  Against crappy teams, you step in their throats, get a lead, and put them away before the 4th quarter.  A good offense can really help a defense.  It’s also makes what our D has done the last 2 years even more impressive because they rarely play with Big leads. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Playing with a lead will challenge your pass Defense.  Theirs was 8th in yards and pints allowed--even with bad CBs.  But yes run D is bad.

But in the SB, they fell behind and the D took over, giving nothing to Mostert and then punishing Jimmy G until Mahomes left his funk.

Indeed but it allows you to commit to playing the pass which is what they do schematically. Sutton wanted his linemen to 2gap and play the run too and Spags just sends his guys after the passer. The scheme change was all about getting a D that fitted the O. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Sometimes teams play bend don't break, even giving up a touchdown or two. Remember Pats in Buffalo against Rex and Tyrod the first time? Lure the other team into false confidence early on like a boxer in the first three rounds. Then when they back off hammer them when you can actually win.

2 minutes ago, beavis said:

Sometimes teams play bend don't break, even giving up a touchdown or two. Remember Pats in Buffalo against Rex and Tyrod the first time? Lure the other team into false confidence early on like a boxer in the first three rounds. Then when they back off hammer them when you can actually win.

Bills "false confidence" vs. NE..a team that went 35-5 against the Bills since 2000?  

Any confidence would, by definition, be false.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills "false confidence" vs. NE..a team that went 35-5 against the Bills since 2000?  

Any confidence would, by definition, be false.

Tyrod drove down the field. Belicheck just wrote things down in his notebook. Then Brady called that timeout when the crowd went crazy on 3rd and long. After that it wasn't the same.

12 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

The Chiefs have a top 10 defense.  Frank Clark is an absolute monster, Charvarious Ward isn’t a household name, but he’s an excellent CB.  Juan Thornhill had an outstanding rookie season before getting hurt just before the playoffs.  Linebacker is a huge hole, but in a 4-3, you can live with that when your D-Line is elite.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

The Chiefs have a top 10 defense.  Frank Clark is an absolute monster, Charvarious Ward isn’t a household name, but he’s an excellent CB.  Juan Thornhill had an outstanding rookie season before getting hurt just before the playoffs.  Linebacker is a huge hole, but in a 4-3, you can live with that when your D-Line is elite.

i know it's a bills board.....but looking forward to Willie Gay Jr replacing Reggie Ragland....that should be an upgrade.

29 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

i know it's a bills board.....but looking forward to Willie Gay Jr replacing Reggie Ragland....that should be an upgrade.

I really think the Bills are the only AFC team with a chance to prevent a Ravens/Chiefs matchup in the AFCCG.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billl said:

I really think the Bills are the only AFC team with a chance to prevent a Ravens/Chiefs matchup in the AFCCG.

I think the Steelers are going to be really tough.  Even with an average offense last year, they make the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think the Steelers are going to be really tough.  Even with an average offense last year, they make the playoffs.  

They're good enough to make the playoffs, but they aren't a threat to knock off Kansas City or Baltimore IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Billl said:

Thornhill that is the kid's name. Couldn't recall it yesterday. 

11 hours ago, Billl said:

So I am with C.Biscuit that I could see the Steelers finding one big win with that defense. But I doubt they can knock both off. 

I think the Bills are the only team other than the Ravens or the Chiefs with a shot if being the AFC Superbowl rep. But there are routes to the AFCCG for Pittsburgh and even at a squeak New England if Cam can re-find some old magic. I think New England are like the 7th or 8th best team in the conference but they have the GOAT in the Headset and a former MVP at QB. If it all clicks I am not totally writing them off in the way I was with Stidham and Hoyer. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Pittsburgh and NE is dependent upon their QB’s health.  I think the Steelers have a better shot as a healthy Big Ben is bigger threat.  The Steelers have a great defense and some weapons on offense.  

True. Buffalo equally is dependant on Josh's improvement at least in his consistency. 

• Like (+1) 1