Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

18 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't know how any fan of Buffalo sports who has paid attention to the Bills and Sabres the last 20 years can think things can't get worse. Like theres a lower limit to sucking. Things can always get worse and they usually do when rash decisions are made under the mistaken idea that things cannot get any worse.

With the Pegula's already giving contract extensions to Beane/McDermott I think its safe to say(hopefully) that the Bills have turned the corner and better days are ahead. The Sabres I don't even know where to start with them as they are a disaster.

Im very close to OFF with the Sabres.  As it is I watch no games.  I hope they lose every game.  It isnt about draft position.  I hate what the organization has become.  Whether it is losing in general, messing up a rebuild that was teed up for them, disenfranchising my favorite all time athlete and also coach, messing up alumni jerseys, mismanaging simple deadlines so they cant wear the goat head, jerking me around as a STH and punishing me for staying loyal through bad seasons to retain my seat location (price jumped 18% after last season because I happen to be in the middle of the 300s, and this is after a long line of grueling increases under this ownership), the awful way they purged their entire hockey staff along with a rather heartless attitude.  And never replacing anyone.  General tone-deaf nonsense from the team and owners that lacks self-awareness.

I actually dislike the Sabres and what they have become.  They are the worst organization in the NHL and it is not particularly close.  I never got close to this during the entirety of my 40-ish years of being a Bills fan.   I was always a Sabres fan first and took great pride and personal identity with the team.  

The only way to solve it is a clear change in direction and basically a re-branding from the top-down.

16 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Im very close to OFF with the Sabres.  As it is I watch no games.  I hope they lose every game.  It isnt about draft position.  I hate what the organization has become.  Whether it is losing in general, messing up a rebuild that was teed up for them, disenfranchising my favorite all time athlete and also coach, messing up alumni jerseys, mismanaging simple deadlines so they cant wear the goat head, jerking me around as a STH and punishing me for staying loyal through bad seasons to retain my seat location (price jumped 18% after last season because I happen to be in the middle of the 300s, and this is after a long line of grueling increases under this ownership), the awful way they purged their entire hockey staff along with a rather heartless attitude.  And never replacing anyone.  General tone-deaf nonsense from the team and owners that lacks self-awareness.

I actually dislike the Sabres and what they have become.  They are the worst organization in the NHL and it is not particularly close.  I never got close to this during the entirety of my 40-ish years of being a Bills fan.   I was always a Sabres fan first and took great pride and personal identity with the team.  

The only way to solve it is a clear change in direction and basically a re-branding from the top-down.

Haven't control board situations for both the city of Buffalo and Erie County been utilized in past years?  Time for the Pegulas to turn control over to Duane? 🤔

40 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Haven't control board situations for both the city of Buffalo and Erie County been utilized in past years?  Time for the Pegulas to turn control over to Duane? 🤔

Duane is the guy that thinks Skinner is good at hockey, isn’t he?

Kevyn Adams: “goaltending isn’t the reason we are losing games”.

It may not be the only reason, but it’s definitely part of the reason. Every game JJ or Hutton let in at least 1 soft, back breaking goal.

14 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

It's like they are actively trying to be a villain 

Im not sure why Vogl is assuming that it means no tickets were bought by season ticket holders (just because there are tickets left to be sold to the general public doesn’t mean that season ticket holders didn’t buy some of the available tickets, unless he has other info he’s not sharing in this tweet), but it would be funny if true. 

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:
It may not be the only reason, but it’s definitely part of the reason. Every game JJ or Hutton let in at least 1 soft, back breaking goal.

Considering that this team only averages 2 goals per game, this means that our goalies would need to give up only 1 goal a game for this team to win. This isn't a goalie alive that can do this.

21 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Considering that this team only averages 2 goals per game, this means that our goalies would need to give up only 1 goal a game for this team to win. This isn't a goalie alive that can do this.

I agree that the Sabres NEED to score more goals. Goal scoring is a huge issue.

But that doesn’t change the fact that goaltending is also an issue.

When your goalies both have the bottom 3 worst save percentages in the league, goaltending is an issue.

I don’t know why they ever thought Hutton or JJ were good enough. Hutton was one of the worst goalies in the league last year and JJ wasn’t even good in the AHL. He spent more time in the ECHL as he did in the AHL the last few years, and in the 6 games he started for Buffalo last year he had a similar sv% (.894).

It seems like almost every time the Sabres are actually making a strong push in game, their goalie lets in a softie. Or two.
Like yesterday. Or the game before that. Or the game before that one. Etc etc. 

You can literally see the team deflate + lose confidence (which is also an issue in and of itself). I think both the goaltending and goal scoring issues are feeding into each other.

31 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I think the wording is just tricky.  I think he means that All the tickets werent bought by STH so there are tickets available to the rest of the public

yeah you are right. Now that I re-read it that’s what he meant. Thanks!

On 2/4/2021 at 12:24 PM, Jrb1979 said:

I don't think it's more of the same. They have played well for the most part. I think Eichel is still dealing with an injury. What gets me is all most seem to do is just look at their record being 4-4-2 and equate that to them being the same team as last year. I look at is them being 1 point out of the last playoff spot with games in hand now and still plenty of games left. 

How do you look at them now?

• Haha (+1) 1

Might be because of watching Slapshot the other day but at this point, the playoffs are gone so how about entertaining me?

Call up Oglethorpe, buy a few rolls of Reynolds Wrap, and trade for 4 or 5 tough guys that can stand up on skates.  See if intimidation can be successful again in the NHL.  What is the worst that could happen?  We lose?  

I started off kidding but am not sure if I am kidding or not now that I look at it.   Lol

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, CIrvine said:

As a Kings fan,  thank you for not signing Cal Petersen.

We tried. He wasn’t willing to sign here and since he was a college UFA there was nothing the Sabres could do about it.

It still bothers me that he left. I viewed him as our next franchise goalie for years. Thought he would be our Miller replacement. 

Buffalo had just recently traded for Robin Lehner, so maybe he thought he wouldn’t get a chance to start here? But then he signed in LA, when quick was still viewed as their #1, so that theory seems less likely.

Im not a very big fan of that college UFA rule. It doesn’t really seem fair to the team that drafted + helped develop that player. You out 4 years of work into a prospect then he can just walk. And Buffalo tried to sign him his junior year of college too iirc. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in Mich said:

Might be because of watching Slapshot the other day but at this point, the playoffs are gone so how about entertaining me?

Call up Oglethorpe, buy a few rolls of Reynolds Wrap, and trade for 4 or 5 tough guys that can stand up on skates.  See if intimidation can be successful again in the NHL.  What is the worst that could happen?  We lose?  

I started off kidding but am not sure if I am kidding or not now that I look at it.   Lol

If you can't beat em....beat em!

• Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

The funny thing is that skilled pugilists are no longer in the league.  Everyone has to be able to play and the "fighters" left these days aren't fighters at all.  Many teams, like the Sabres, don't have one at all.  

As the league changes more and more in this direction, I think there actually would be an opportunity to gain a competitive advantage via the Broad Street Bully approach, again.  If it was successful, it would only last until other teams start to counter.  But for a season or 2, I think it could work! 

God knows it would be fun seeing how the experiment works out, one way or the other. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Boudreau would love to coach in Buffalo it’s the easiest *&$#$&* decision in the world. Boudreau is legitimately one of the best coaches in the NHL. He’s improved every team he’s ever taken over. He just had some bad luck in the playoffs. But he’s a guy that actually knows how to win. If he can’t win with this core of players, then it’s definitely the players, not the coach.

But I don’t expect the Pegulas to do it because he swears and is an experienced NHL veteran, which apparently they don’t trust anymore (after never hiring anyone that actually fits that description).

• Haha (+1) 1

Ralph reminds me of Rex Ryan , having too  complicated  a system for the players that are here.  Trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

The Sabres played good defence against Peguins  were tired by the end 1-0 so Ralph pulls the goalie to make them look even worse.

Edited by ALF

Change coaches if you want.  But the next guy will have the same problem.  Players with no heart and no desire.  Until Adams moves some of these babies out and gets some guys like him, guys that had NHL careers because they worked their tails off and played hard every shift, the Sabres will be a bad team.

Build around Cozens and hopefully Quinn once he comes up to the big club.  If a new coach does one thing it should be to light a fire under Dahlin.  Everyone else can go.

Edited by oldmanfan

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

I don't even have to hope for total failure, Ralph and the gang are delivering it on a silver platter. 

You shouldn't expect Ralph to fire himself.

The problem, right now, as always, rests with Pegula.

I have no doubt Adams would have fired Ralph before now, if he had the power to do so.

The question now is whether or not Ralph will be fired at the end of the year!  

He might be around next year too!  There are 4 million reasons why.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Change coaches if you want.  But the next guy will have the same problem.  Players with no heart and no desire.  Until Adams moves some of these babies out and gets some guys like him, guys that had NHL careers because they worked their tails off and played hard every shift, the Sabres will be a bad team.

Build around Cozens and hopefully Quinn once he comes up to the big club.  If a new coach dies one thing it should be to light a fire under Dahlin.  Everyone else can go.

This is the kind of attitude that helped St. Louis win the Cup! 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

You shouldn't expect Ralph to fire himself.

The problem, right now, as always, rests with Pegula.

I have no doubt Adams would have fired Ralph before now, if he had the power to do so.

The question now is whether or not Ralph will be fired at the end of the year!  

He might be around next year too!  There are 4 million reasons why.

Paying a coach doesn't matter... It happens all the time.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is the kind of attitude that helped St. Louis win the Cup! 

What exactly should the Sabres have done when O'Reilly basically said he wanted out and wouldn't play hard for the Sabres?  All this stems from having a kid whose motivation to play is questionable as captain.  Now I hope Eichel is not hurt badly of course; neck injuries are terrible and we should all hope this does not end the kid's career.  But when I say kid, I mean kid.  He has no business being the captain of the team.  Your captain has to lead, to motivate, to demand accountability.  Is there any evidence he does so?

Is there really any evidence that the players on this team are motivated, that they are hungry to win?  Not that I can see, except for a young guy like Cozens who will actually go hard into a corner and fight for the puck.  Get a captain worthy of the title, get guys on the team that give a damn, and if you have players that cannot sack up and play hard they are useless and need to go away.

On 3/14/2021 at 8:30 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

From Greg Vorce on Twitter:

#Sabres lines:

No - One - Cares

Is - This - Over

Who - Is - Watching

End - My - Misery

Thats how a normal coach would line them up.

This team would have it:

Who - One - Over

Is - Is - Cares

No - This - Watching

End - My - Okposo

Edited by snafu
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 3/14/2021 at 1:40 AM, ALF said:

Ralph reminds me of Rex Ryan , having too  complicated  a system for the players that are here.  Trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

The Sabres played good defence against Peguins  were tired by the end 1-0 so Ralph pulls the goalie to make them look even worse.

The funny thing is *most* major league coaches, in any sport, tend to be this way.

They have learned 1 way to do it coming up through their career, and only 1 way.

They then shove that system onto the players even when it doesn't work.

A master chef can make a great meal no matter what's looking good at the market that day.

Not the same with professional sports coaching.

Obviously, Ralph was a huge mistake.  That point is beyond argument at this point.

So the only question to ask, right now, is why is Ralph still around?

Money?  Terry actually thinks he'll turn it around?  Terry is waiting for their #1 replacement option to become available?

If it's the latter, they should still fire Ralph immediately.

Retaining him at this point is bad for everyone involved.  It makes Pegula look like an idiot or a jerk.  It casts a really dark shadow on the Sabres brand, as viewed from around the league.

And it puts poor old Ralph is a really bad spot too.  He ran out of things to say a long time ago.  

He should be removed immediately, with an interim put in place until their ideal replacement candidate can be made available.

So again, why in the world is Ralph still around?

Good question, isn't it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.