Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/12/22/which-teams-could-be-hurt-most-by-2020-21-nhl-division-alignment/
‘Which teams could be hurt most by 2020-21 NHL division alignment?’

#1) 

Buffalo Sabres (East Division)

The Sabres enter the 2020-21 season riding a nine year playoff drought, and it is going to take a herculean effort from this roster to keep that drought from hitting a decade.

There is some reason for optimism, yes. Jack Eichel is great, and they had a nice offseason on paper that saw them add Taylor Hall, Eric Staal, and Cody Eakin to the roster to improve their depth.

The problem? Their goaltending is still a huge weakness and the temporary realignment of the divisions put them into what is almost certainly the toughest of the four groupings. All they have to do to make the playoffs this season is finish with a better record than four of these teams: Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, and Washington Capitals.

While playing a 56-game schedule against only those teams. That group includes four of the top-seven teams in the NHL from a year ago, and five of the top 11 teams. The Sabres record against the teams in their new division during the 2019-20 season: Only 6-9-1. Not great.

No matter the division the Sabres were always going to be facing an uphill battle this season when it came to ending their playoff drought. But this assignment makes it just that much tougher.

It’s hard to disagree with this.

All that optimism I had from signing Taylor Hall is already starting to fade...

though, who knows. A hot start this year could go a long ways in securing a playoff spot.

it’s real! 

this is by far the longest I can remember going without watching an NHL game. I can’t wait for hockey to be back! 2 weeks until the season starts!

although with 5+ games pretty much almost every week and a brutal division, I wonder how quickly I’ll get sick of watching them lose... 😂 (kidding, sort of).

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Jack Eichel, upper body injury, and Linus Ullmark, Immigration/Quarantine Issue, both held out of Sabres 1st practice. Let's hope it's not a bad omen to the season.

Seriously? 🤦‍♂️

So much for starting 2021 out on the right foot... lol

hope Eichel’s UBI isn’t serious.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Seriously? 🤦‍♂️

So much for starting 2021 out on the right foot... lol

hope Eichel’s UBI isn’t serious.

Yeah, they said it was sustained while training. On a positive note: From Mike Harrington's Twitter - First shot, first drill. Taylor Hall just went bar down on poor Jonas Johansson. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

I know the Sabres wouldn’t approve, but based on age isn’t Dahlin eligible for this Juniors tourney?  That’s pretty wild when you think about it.

It’s for players under 20. 

still love listening to this guy talk.

I’m hoping that his vast experience + success coaching tournament hockey will give the Sabres a bit of an advantage. This season is basically just an extended tournament. You play the same 8 teams over and over all season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I love Krueger’s confidence. 

He’s laying it on a bit thick here but I wonder if, in part, he’s trying to convey that confidence to the team and pump up their tires a bit. I’m not saying that they aren’t confident or anything like that. But I think realistically they know what we all know: they’re going to be playing 70% of their games in a condensed schedule against 5 of the top 10 teams from last season. Eichel mentioned how the players know what a tough task they have ahead of them with the (toughest) new division and so many games every week. But that they were looking forward to it. The Sabres do have a tendency to play up/down to their competition. Maybe the tough schedule will end up being a blessing... 

Its definitely going to be a unique season. Who knows what’ll happen. So much is going to depend on injuries and covid, and luck. 

• Like (+1) 1

From John Vogel’s Twitter. Hopefully not a long-term injury.

Victor Olofsson has left practice after crashing hard into the post. He and Rasmus Dahlin were doing one-on-one drill at full speed. Olofsson went down, hit the post and both he and the net went all the way to the end boards. Olofsson left favoring his left arm.

Carter Hutton gives loud stick taps and shouts “Ollie!” as Victor Olofsson returns from the trainers’ room. “I’m good,” Olofsson replied when a teammate asked if he’s all right.

The Victor Olofsson roller coaster continues. He has not come out for the second half of practice following the ice resurfacing. Olofsson continually wiggled his left wrist when he returned earlier. 3/3
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/1/2021 at 6:09 PM, BillsFan4 said:

I love Krueger’s confidence. 

He’s laying it on a bit thick here but I wonder if, in part, he’s trying to convey that confidence to the team and pump up their tires a bit. I’m not saying that they aren’t confident or anything like that. But I think realistically they know what we all know: they’re going to be playing 70% of their games in a condensed schedule against 5 of the top 10 teams from last season. Eichel mentioned how the players know what a tough task they have ahead of them with the (toughest) new division and so many games every week. But that they were looking forward to it. The Sabres do have a tendency to play up/down to their competition. Maybe the tough schedule will end up being a blessing... 

Its definitely going to be a unique season. Who knows what’ll happen. So much is going to depend on injuries and covid, and luck. 

I'm encouraged by the additions the Sabres made. Hall, Staal, plus Dylan Cozens is tearing up the IIHF Juniors. If our goalkeeping doesn't suck we might make the postseason.

• Like (+1) 1

PLD rumors of wanting a trade confirmed.

Man I’d love to find a way to land him, but I don’t see it happening.

I just hope he doesn’t end up in Montreal (his hometown iirc) or anywhere else in our (normal) division.

I feel bad for CBJ fans. Seems like they have a hard time holding onto their top players, going way back to Rick Nash.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.