Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yikes.

more translated from the article (from a Finnish poster on another message board):

- Says he has gone through every possible symptom. He has asked around the league and no one else has had it this bad. 

- His oxygen levels had dropped significantly and doing anything at all made him extremely tired

-After a couple of days his symptoms got better only to come back in a different form, chest pains for an example.

-When he had his chest pains, he felt like his heart is going to rip in two when walking up the stairs. Says couple of nights he felt like he wasn't sure if he's going to wake up.

-"I got healthy papers from the doctors but physically I am in such a bad shape that i have a long road ahead of me until I'm fit to play."

(Despite this he also says that he can maybe see himself coming back some time next week, but not certain)

————

Get well soon Risto!

Thanks Jersey and NHL.  Such crap man.  If his career is impacted I hope he sues the league and NJ.  They were negligent.

5 hours ago, snafu said:

And he was playing the best hockey on the entire team.

Playing the best hockey of his career too. It was like he grew out that hair and goatee and became bizarro world risto. The blonde devil. Then this happens ugh. Get well rasmus.

i.png

• Haha (+1) 2

Poor Ralph. He has to coach them through this “fragile” state they’re in. Doesn’t want to risk further damaging their delicate psyches. We have no chance with this coach and the frail players on this team. It’s all well and good to be a “player’s” coach, but that only goes as far as the ability of player to be a “coach’s” player. 

I don’t know where it’s written that your highest paid player has to wear the C, but Eichel needs to give it up. It’s just not in his personality to be in a captain’s role. He’s too moody and visibly frustrated half the time. Great player, lousy leader whose moodiness is visible from his first shift in every game. You can tell what kind of game he’s gonna have immediately if he’s skating with purpose or not early on. Unacceptable from a team captain.

When it’s plain to see that your best player and team captain didn’t show up to play, it filters down to every player on the team. I’d start with Eichel, Ralph.

• Like (+1) 2

Looks like Skinner will be a healthy scratch on Monday.  Probably won't hurt his stats much.  He was definitely dogging it out there for much of the Devils game and floating around the defensive zone.

First line looks like complete trash. 

Okposo is too slow to play NHL hockey.  

Anyone watch the Lake Tahoe games over the weekend. The background was awesome with the lake and mountains. You had some great scenery. But the NHL needs to stop having these games during the day when the sun is out. It causes problems that can be avoided. I realize the league will want to have outdoor games at stadiums again with fans but they should make a game at Lake Tahoe a yearly event. One game on a Saturday night around this time with different teams playing every year.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

Anyone watch the Lake Tahoe games over the weekend. The background was awesome with the lake and mountains. You had some great scenery. But the NHL needs to stop having these games during the day when the sun is out. It causes problems that can be avoided. I realize the league will want to have outdoor games at stadiums again with fans but they should make a game at Lake Tahoe a yearly event. One game on a Saturday night around this time with different teams playing every year.

I agree, but I dont think the NHL ever elects to do picturesque games as long as fans are allowed to attend.  The ratings and image jump is probably very marginal compared to holding it at Safeco Field or something.  

No idea why they would have such dark imagery in the logo and some on-ice ads.  I have a backyard rink and if I leave something dark on there like a puck or even a leaf, it eats through the ice quickly under the sun.  

On 2/20/2021 at 10:48 AM, K-9 said:

I don’t know where it’s written that your highest paid player has to wear the C, but Eichel needs to give it up. It’s just not in his personality to be in a captain’s role. He’s too moody and visibly frustrated half the time. Great player, lousy leader whose moodiness is visible from his first shift in every game. You can tell what kind of game he’s gonna have immediately if he’s skating with purpose or not early on. Unacceptable from a team captain.

When it’s plain to see that your best player and team captain didn’t show up to play, it filters down to every player on the team. I’d start with Eichel, Ralph.

I see this as a possible major issue for the team and why we keep seeing this same movie.  From the outside, and looking at body language, interviews, the past 5 years' history, etc Eichel seems like kind of a bad leader, if not, a bad teammate in general.

It appears there is not a great cohesion in the lockerroom (hasnt been for years).  These guys dont seem close.  Players who come in look or act miserable, if they dont leave the country.  

I know they tried to infuse the team and young players with some leadership in the form of Gionta and Gorges.  OReilly tried to run with it and failed/was rejected.  IMO the worst crime committed to the Sabres (outside of the Pegulas' failure to get help), was when Murray infected the young core of this team to Kane and Bogosian.  

• Like (+1) 1

Last night was the best game I have seen the Sabres play all year.  The Islanders were completely stifled.  Buffalo was first to loose pucks, clogged the passing lanes, and generating lots of shots.  Unfortunately, they didn't find the back of the net despite controlling the play for most of the game. 

Okposo looked like a new man, Cozens was impressive all night, Mittelstadt looked like a pro in Skinner's spot.  Its an unpopular sentiment, but Eichel looked like trash.  Slow, ineffective and turning the puck over.  The first line has done nothing 5 on 5.  Eichel's turnovers just inside the blue line have bothered me for years and now that he isn't doing anything offensively, people are starting to notice.  Also, why hasn't anyone told him that dumping the puck in on net is basically gifting the defense a clean breakout?!?!  Opposite corners or hard around the boards if theres a forecheck!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Last night was the best game I have seen the Sabres play all year.  The Islanders were completely stifled.  Buffalo was first to loose pucks, clogged the passing lanes, and generating lots of shots.  Unfortunately, they didn't find the back of the net despite controlling the play for most of the game. 

Okposo looked like a new man, Cozens was impressive all night, Mittelstadt looked like a pro in Skinner's spot.  Its an unpopular sentiment, but Eichel looked like trash.  Slow, ineffective and turning the puck over.  The first line has done nothing 5 on 5.  Eichel's turnovers just inside the blue line have bothered me for years and now that he isn't doing anything offensively, people are starting to notice.  Also, why hasn't anyone told him that dumping the puck in on net is basically gifting the defense a clean breakout?!?!  Opposite corners or hard around the boards if theres a forecheck!

I don't know why Ralph won't pair Eichel and Skinner.  I mean these two had great chemistry when we first brought the latter on the team. Yet ever since Ralph became HC he seems to want to separate them. 

Edited by The Jokeman

Just now, The Jokeman said:

I don't know why Ralph won't pair Eichel and Skinner.  I mean these two had great chemistry when we first brought the latter on the team. Yet since Krugar became HC he seems to want to separate them. 

Skinner isn't playing within Ralph's system and still floats around in the defensive zone waiting for a fast break opportunity.  He hasn't buried any of his many chances either.  I don't know what to make of Skinner right now.  He looks slow out there compared to the guy I remember his first year with the team who was buzzing all over the ice.  I kinda think he showed up out of shape and not prepared to play. Maybe I'm just remembering things wrong.

23 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I agree with you.  They looked like a different team last night.  The passing was more crisp, less sloppy and the urgency of the skating was a lot different.  The problem is they still lost.   The Sabres have a massive problem and its culture based.    Their top five salaried players, aside from Reinhart, are essentially playing like 3rd and 4th line players.   Eichel is a tremendous talent, but his shot percentage is astronomically low, to the point where I'd rather see Lazar on the ice.   

At the end of this season the Pegulas need to take a hard look at Krueger and decide if he is going to be the Coach for the forseeable future, if so they need to start making tough decisions about the roster.     They cant keep paying Eichel, Skinner and Okposo what they do with the limited return in Krueger's system.   If they bring someone else in they need to ask those same players if they really care about being a Sabre.   There is too little accountability on the players for being so awful for so long.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

That was quite possibly the worst game Eichel has ever played in a Sabres uniform.

I think he actually hurt the Sabres when he was on the ice more than he helped them. I honestly didn’t even want to see him on the ice for the last shift of the game, down by a goal. That says it all. 

Eichel has looked off all year. Right now, he’s not even among the top 50 NHL players in goals or points. I don’t know if he’s injured or out of shape, or all the time off messed with him, or what his deal is. 

I agree about the turnovers and lazy plays. I’ve always bitched about his turnovers but you could live with him because his overall game was elite. But it’s a lot tougher to live with right now. Especially the lazy plays. It infuriates me when I see players dogging it, and he’s done that quite a bit this season.

Cozens looked great though! He’s really brought a spark to that line the past couple games. Hall/Staal/Cozens looks like they’re developing some nice chemistry. Hall had a good game too. One of his better games for the Sabres.

Well, Fudge. That blows.

13 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

That was quite possibly the worst game Eichel has ever played in a Sabres uniform.

I think he actually hurt the Sabres when he was on the ice more than he helped them. I honestly didn’t even want to see him on the ice for the last shift of the game, down by a goal. That says it all. 

Eichel has looked off all year. Right now, he’s not even among the top 50 NHL players in goals or points. I don’t know if he’s injured or out of shape, or all the time off messed with him, or what his deal is

I agree about the turnovers and lazy plays. I’ve always bitched about his turnovers but you could live with him because his overall game was elite. But it’s a lot tougher to live with right now. Especially the lazy plays. It infuriates me when I see players dogging it, and he’s done that quite a bit this season.

Cozens looked great though! He’s really brought a spark to that line the past couple games. Hall/Staal/Cozens looks like they’re developing some nice chemistry. Hall had a good game too. One of his better games for the Sabres.

Well, Fudge. That blows.

Maybe because Eichel has played 6-8 games less than the rest of the league. 

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Maybe because Eichel has played 6-8 games less than the rest of the league. 

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2020-21-nhl-players-stats.html

a bunch of the guys on the top 50 list have played the same amount of games as Eichel. Some have played 3-5 more games. Some have even played less games than Eichel. 

Also, if you look at ‘points per game played’ and ‘points per 60 minutes’, he’s still not in the top 50.

He has not been very good this season. Though he did play one of his better games last night.

Edited by BillsFan4

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2020-21-nhl-players-stats.html

a bunch of the guys on the top 50 list have played the same amount of games as Eichel. Some have played 3-5 more games. Some have even played less games than Eichel. 

Also, if you look at ‘points per game played’ and ‘points per 60 minutes’, he’s still not in the top 50.

He has not been very good this season. Though he did play one of his better games last night.

Eichel is in the top 10 right now for 'posts per 60 minutes'.  The amount of pipe the Sabres are hitting is comical at this point.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Canadiens are 9-5-4.

I thought he actually had them playing pretty good hockey this season. I wonder if it was the 3 losses in a row - 2 of them to Ottawa (the worst team in the north division by a fair margin)?

Can you imagine the Sabres being in a similar position and firing the HC?  Difference between franchises.

PS:  Julien should be on the Sabres payroll before bedtime tonight.

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Eichel is in the top 10 right now for 'posts per 60 minutes'.  The amount of pipe the Sabres are hitting is comical at this point.  

Yeah the Sabres underlying statistics/analytics are actually pretty good. They’ve been very unlucky though, especially Eichel, skinner and Hall.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Can you imagine the Sabres being in a similar position and firing the HC?  Difference between franchises.

He and Ralph do have a relationship, but I’m not sure the Sabres would actually try to add him to the staff. I’d be all for it.

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

And bring Captain Kirk along with him.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Is it the HC fault for Skinner? 

Why is Skinner not even playing let alone not in the top 6?

Obviously things are not working so why not try what worked in the past since what Kruger is doing isn't working.

I don't know anymore.  I sure would like to see Skinner play with one of the top lines though.  

I am not on the "fire Kruger" bandwagon (yet), but I just can't stand listening to his interviews anymore.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TBBills said:

How does this guy become unplayable?!? He has had up and down years but never been just been unplayable.

The whole lineup is confusing.  Tage is either a first liner or a healthy scratch.  Skinner can't crack the lineup on a team that cannot score. Who knows whats going on with Skinner and Ralph?

• Agree 1

Few thoughts about last night's game.

- Ullmark has been playing great hockey.  That series of saves in the first period where he ultimately hurt himself was just insane.  Get well soon, Linus.

- Hall can't buy a goal.  Pegula's could give him a blank check and he still couldn't buy a goal. Breakaway and 2 point blank chances in the first period with nothing to show for it.  Need to bury these if we are going to win games this year.

- Sheahan has as many goals as Eichel now after one game on top line.  Maybe when Eichel comes back he can play on 4th line with Skinner?

- Mittelstadt looks like an NHL player AGAIN!! Sick feed to Okposo who blew it and Casey finally buries one himself.  Goodbye Rochester.

- This game has actually been entertaining! If you're going to suck at least be entertaining and generate chances, score a few goals.  This was 3 consecutive solid outings by my count.

- This team plays far less confidently in front of Hutton.  From the start of the second period the difference in demeanor was noticeable.  

- Hutton could not have been farther out of position on the 2nd goal allowed if he tried.

- Classic Hutton, losing his composure after giving up a goal.

- Hutton sucks

- Hutton sucks

- Hutton sucks!

Well, stick a fork in this season...

Ullmark is out for at least a month. I don’t see any way they can overcome that loss.

Hutton as their starter for an entire month... 😬yikes!

JJ and Tokarski are no better. JJ’s hardly an AHL caliber goalie.

Really happy to see Risto back though! Hopefully he doesn’t suffer any PASC related setbacks. 

Edited by BillsFan4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.