Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Staal would have been an interesting acquisition a decade ago.

I guess they are going to ask him to provide some "leadership in the room" whatever that means.

His useful career is over.

Yeah the Sabres can't use a legitimate 2nd line Center man that averaged .72 PPG last year and has played with Skinner before. Stupid Adams trading for his former teammate. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Staal would have been an interesting acquisition a decade ago.

I guess they are going to ask him to provide some "leadership in the room" whatever that means.

His useful career is over.

His numbers indicate otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

Staal just out over over 40 goals 2 seasons ago. He was 3rd on the wild in points last season, and he led the wild in points during the play-in (playoff) round. He looked damn good to me during that play-in round. I thought he was Minnesota’s best player 🤷‍♂️

I think he’s a lock for at least 20 goals and 50pts at 2C next season, and I could see him doing better than that. He was the Wild’s #1 center (including last season). 
Now he will get more favorable match-ups with Eichel as our #1C here. 

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

His numbers indicate otherwise. 

And his play.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

:lol:

Still can't stand the guy, but it was a good trade for the Sabres.

The useful part of Staal's career is now over.

Sabres have been making acquisitions of this type my entire life (going back to the '70s).

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The useful part of Staal's career is now over.

Sabres have been making acquisitions of this type my entire life (going back to the '70s).

The borderline HoF level of play is a distant memory in the rear view mirror.  But he was still very good last season and there is no reason to believe he can't/won't be a 50 point player on the 2nd line.  Still would like another younger 2C candidate like Cirelli or Danault brought in; but Staal actually IS a 2C.  Something they haven't had since the donut shop drive through window guy left town.

22 hours ago, Taro T said:

The borderline HoF level of play is a distant memory in the rear view mirror.  But he was still very good last season and there is no reason to believe he can't/won't be a 50 point player on the 2nd line.  Still would like another younger 2C candidate like Cirelli or Danault brought in; but Staal actually IS a 2C.  Something they haven't had since the donut shop drive through window guy left town.

He's going to look very good playing behind a guy like Eichel.  That and at this stage, he may be playing for one last contract (even if it's just one more year).  I bet his numbers go up a bit this year.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Friggin Bogo, of all people, gets a cup.

I know. 🤢🤮 just Tampa in general. Can’t stand them. They play so damn dirty and they get away with it.

I do worry about Eichel’s mindset. ROR forced his way out of buffalo, wins a cup. Bogo (eichel’s BFF) forced his way out of buffalo the following season, wins a cup.

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I know. 🤢🤮 just Tampa in general. Can’t stand them. They play so damn dirty and they get away with it.

I do worry about Eichel’s mindset. ROR forced his way out of buffalo, wins a cup. Bogo (eichel’s BFF) forced his way out of buffalo the following season, wins a cup.

Would you have prefered that Dallas got another one? "No Goal" (And the two Super Bowls) will never leave my soul. May the city of Dallas never win another championship in any sport until the end of eternity.

• Like (+1) 1

End of an era.

23 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Would you have prefered that Dallas got another one? "No Goal" (And the two Super Bowls) will never leave my soul. May the city of Dallas never win another championship in any sport until the end of eternity.

Not really. I didn’t want to see either win. I just can’t stand Tampa bay. They are the dirtiest team in the NHL. 

Was kind of funny seeing Dallas go down 3-1 in the series because of a bogus penalty call in OT though. Karma’s a B word... 😂

• Like (+1) 1

Once the initial viewings were complete, detailed meetings were held with Crowe, Nightingale, and scouts to weigh takeaways from games, projections for a what a player could become, and data-driven insights on a player's impact. Scouts were then asked to conduct a second wave of analysis to answer why their findings may or may not be true. 

The idea was to build a system of checks and balances to explain the "why" behind a player's performance. 

"We're not really asking anymore if they control the game, because we can measure that," Nightingale said. "We're not asking, 'What is their offensive impact?' because we can measure that. 

"It's, how are they doing that? And the way that they do it, how will that translate to the next level? I think that's how the two interact, the scout and the information."

——————————

Edited by BillsFan4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.