Draft Rumors 1 week out

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This is what I've been thinking too. A lot of WRs will be drafted but only a few are in the upper tier of prospects. Bills did the right thing getting their #1 WR before the draft.

Uh, ok.  4-5 WR starters?  Ruggs, Jeudy, Ceedee, ?, ?     Mims, Aiyuk, Raegor, Jefferson, Higgins, Shenault   ?

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is what I've been thinking too. A lot of WRs will be drafted but only a few are in the upper tier of prospects. Bills did the right thing getting their #1 WR before the draft.

This is why despite him being universally unpopular on this board I still think Tee Higgins is going in the first round. Because I get the point being made here. If you are looking for every down outside receivers guys who can be true #1 types.... it is the top 3, then Higgins. After that it is why Denzel Mims is getting buzz despite being so sloppy and unrefined and Michael Pittman too even though to me he doesn't pop on tape. 

There are lots of other nice players... Justin Jefferson could be a beast from the slot, Brandon Aiyuk is a nice moveable piece, Hamler and Reagor are good deep ball guys, Shenault is a gadget guy. 

It just comes down to what NFL teams are looking for. And they want that guy who can line up wide in any formation and is a threat to run any route. A lot of the guys getting buzz don't fit that. 

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

There could very well be 5 WRs that go before 22, especially if teams start trading up for them.  I see at least 4.  And I'd much rather have Diggs than the 5th or 6th best WR prospect.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

More or less what I’m thinking.

I currently have Philly moving up to 13 for Ruggs. I have 5 1st round WRs. I have 6 1st round OTs.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, aristocrat said:

i was just guessing. Has there ever been that big of a trade? Even the Ricky Williams trade wasn’t that big 

Biggest jumps I could find:

Bears move from 28 (second round) to 3 for Butkis (bad on my part...this trade was made during the prior year so it doesn't count)

Oilers move from 17 to 1 for Earl

cowboys move from 14 to 2 for Dorsett

Colts used next year's #1 to move up and take Jeff George.  That turned into the #13 pick the following year.

Edited by Cripple Creek

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Biggest jumps I could find:

Bears move from 28 (second round) to 3 for Butkis

Oilers move from 17 to 1 for Earl

cowboys move from 14 to 2 for Dorsett

Colts used next year's #1 to move up and take Jeff George.  That turned into the #13 pick the following year.

so nothing in the last 25 years?  every year the pats are supposedly moving up for someone it seems 

37 minutes ago, mannc said:

Chris Simms has him as RB1, and the only one deserving to go in the first round.

Helaire compares to Singletary does it make sense to draft a similar RB to one already on the roster.

I think I would draft defense in 2nd, WR in 3rd, and RB in the 4-5 rds.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Helaire compares to Singletary does it make sense to draft a similar RB to one already on the roster.

He does remind me of Singletary.  I wasn’t advocating the Bills draft him, although I would not object.

39 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

He was my favorite for a while, until I realized the Bills have no shot at getting him. 

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

A 5’7” RB with limited speed as a first round pick?  I’d be shocked if this happens.

Simms did not say Helaire would go in round 1; he said he feels he is an end of round 1 talent and the best RB in the draft.  I like Simms a lot, but I think he’s a day 2 guy myself.

Edited by mannc
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/16/2020 at 9:45 PM, CapeBreton said:

Higgins was a scary thought at 22 but I’d gladly take him at 54, he seems to be dropping in the rankings and Bills have done their homework on him. They also traded for Diggs the day after they went to his pro day so maybe they hate him too haha.

Not a fan. I just do don't see him getting separation at this level. We already have a tall guy with that trait. I think Higgins has big bust potential.

On 4/18/2020 at 3:27 PM, aristocrat said:

a trade back from 3 to 23 would be what...this years 1, 2,  next years 1, 2 and a 1st after that as well?  if they get a hof'er it is worth it

Why trade that many picks when you can just tank this year w/ Stidham and get Trevor next year... That would be a little smarter.

On 4/18/2020 at 9:44 PM, HappyDays said:

This WR class is ridiculously deep.  And any scout saying different is blowing smoke.

There are two elite prospects who would go Top 5-10 in almost any class:  Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb.  Then you have one borderline elite guy, who is sure-shot First Round in Henry Ruggs.  After that, you have about 10-12 guys who would deserve 1st Round consideration in almost any year.  Many of these guys are getting extra scrutiny and will be pushed down, simply because there are a multitude of other options for WR-needy teams:  Laviska Shenault, Tee Higgins, Jalen Reagor, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk, KJ Hamler, Michael Pittman, Denzel Mims, Bryan Edwards, Chase Claypool.

And then you have dozens of potential sleeper guys, who could slip to Day 3 and be impact starters in the NFL.  Van Jefferson, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Tyler Johnson, Antonio Gandy-Golden, Gabriel Davis, etc.

I've been following the draft for 30+ years, and I've never seen a class with this much potential.

I think 100% what Beane did was absolutely the best decision for this team...sure..a year a so down the road, people may say “we could have had X receiver in the 2nd round”..but why even take the risk...get the guaranteed stud on a solid contract.

9 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

This WR class is ridiculously deep.  And any scout saying different is blowing smoke.

100%, I don't believe any of it. I didn't think the 2019 class was all that special but then you have Terry McLaurin, Diontae Johnson, Darius Slayton, Hunter Renfrow going in the mid rounds and having sucess, 2020 will have plenty of guys who will be late steals.

6 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

100%, I don't believe any of it. I didn't think the 2019 class was all that special but then you have Terry McLaurin, Diontae Johnson, Darius Slayton, Hunter Renfrow going in the mid rounds and having sucess, 2020 will have plenty of guys who will be late steals.

The 2014 WR Class was the best I could remember, up until this point.  Everybody knew that class was going to be fantastic, and for the most part (unless you traded up to #4 to take Sammy Watkins...) it didn't disappoint.  Personally, I think this class is stronger at the very top.  The 2014 class was a little bit better in the back-half of the 1st/early 2nd.  They look to be about the same in the late 2nd Round and early 3rd.  This class has more potential on Day 3.

If those two classes were merged and re-drafted (based purely on their draft ranking out of college), I think the 1st Round prospects would go something like this:

CeeDee Lamb

Jerry Jeudy

Sammy Watkins

Henry Ruggs

Mike Evans

Odell Beckham

Brandin Cooks

Kelvin Benjamin

Tee Higgins

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So is there anyone you could see the Bills moving up to #31 for?

I don't think the Bills consider any trade-ups until a player they covet is withing striking distance (meaning 10 or less picks), and they are scared he will not fall.

I'm fully expecting them to move around on Friday and Saturday, but they won't be making huge jumps.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Yep. That’s what we’ve been talking about for a while. I really think they’ll move down from both spots

Interesting. I suspected they'd use #13 on a receiver. If they move back from that spot do they take a second tier receiver later in round 1?

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting. I suspected they'd use #13 on a receiver. If they move back from that spot do they take a second tier receiver later in round 1?

? Spoiler alert for when my mock drops ?

I think they move back with Philly, who will want one of the big-3. At 21, I could see SF taking Jefferson to replace Sanders.

Then they drop back from 31 to round 2, where they can nab my boy Gallimore to replace Buckner.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

? Spoiler alert for when my mock drops ?

I think they move back with Philly, who will want one of the big-3. At 21, I could see SF taking Jefferson to replace Sanders.

Then they drop back from 31 to round 2, where they can nab my boy Gallimore to replace Buckner.

The Philly trade makes sense but I just don't think Jefferson there does for the 9ers. I hate him anywhere in round 1 that doesn't already have an established #1 outside guy. 

I doubt Gallimore gets to round #2. He might not make #31 but that is right in his range IMO.