Draft Rumors 1 week out

50 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Thanks Gunner.

My first thought was getting the Cowboy's needs correct and then go from there. 

Who on your board is the first center to go? My internet searches today suggest Cesar Ruiz is making moves. Lindy's (which I get every year for quick reference on draft nights) has a top 3 of:

Hennessy (Rd1-2)

Tyler Biadasz (Rd2)

Lloyd Cushenberry III (Rd2-3)

With Frederick retiring and Jerry's tendency to pick OL fairy early I thought center would be high on their board.

I think Ruiz will be the first tot go and he is a good player. Personally I like Biadasz a little more but he was a little banged up in 2019 and maybe wasn't quite as dominant as 2018. I think they will be the first two off the board in some order. I have Darryl Williams of Mississippi State as my third guy but I am way higher on him than most... probably by a round or two - I just think he is going to be a really good pro. Cushenberry and Hennessey are then my #4 and #5 in that order.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Ruiz will be the first tot go and he is a good player. Personally I like Biadasz a little more but he was a little banged up in 2019 and maybe wasn't quite as dominant as 2018. I think they will be the first two off the board in some order. I have Darryl Williams of Mississippi State as my third guy but I am way higher on him than most... probably by a round or two - I just think he is going to be a really good pro. Cushenberry and Hennessey are then my #4 and #5 in that order.

I have Ruiz-Cush-Biadasz as my top 3, followed by a big gap.

9 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Yes because WR usually need a year, this is a good year to grab one. Brown said it’s a complex offense too. WR & RB2 will be 2 of the first 3 picks. And I think that fits well even with BPA mentality 

I like your thinking.  I worry whether they have the discipline to pull it off.  Their comfort zone is scouting defense - they know what they like and can utilize on that side of the ball.  They seem less comfortable with their ability to scout offense and it will be hard for them to resist passing on a corner or safety in Round 2 when there will be guys there who they know with virtual certainty they’ve evaluated correctly and can fit right into the defense in 2020.  Not saying I want them to do that - I don’t, I want speed and skill on offense.  Just worry they will wait until the later rounds since they see their own evaluations on offense as inherently riskier anyhow, so why not wait to spend a less valuable pick.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I like your thinking.  I worry whether they have the discipline to pull it off.  Their comfort zone is scouting defense - they know what they like and can utilize on that side of the ball.  They seem less comfortable with their ability to scout offense and it will be hard for them to resist passing on a corner or safety in Round 2 when there will be guys there who they know with virtual certainty they’ve evaluated correctly and can fit right into the defense in 2020.  Not saying I want them to do that - I don’t, I want speed and skill on offense.  Just worry they will wait until the later rounds since they see their own evaluations on offense as inherently riskier anyhow, so why not wait to spend a less valuable pick.

I think that their first pick is going to be someone that they expect to be a future cornerstone. That’s why I’m thinking it’s CB, since there could be huge value there.

I would be surprised if they don’t go some combination of CB/WR/RB with their top 3 picks.

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I hope so but I'm with Coach... I'm skeptical that happens. These guys are defensive oriented all around and that's where they are more comfortable.

I can see a RB being picked early, but Beane doesn't seem to trust drafting WRs early. I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait until 6th or 7th or even UDFA for a WR as they pass on some good prospects because they don't trust the position.... which is exactly what they did last year.

Never know. They are almost certainly looking at who is a UFA that they may not be able to re-sign. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t think that  conclusion can be drawn after 2 drafts (3 if you count the one before Beane arrived).  I think they made a conscious decision to rebuild the defense first because that could make them at least competitive in most games.  I think the lesser emphasis on drafting offense was due to that plan rather than them not feeling confident that they can evaluate talent there.

40 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think that their first pick is going to be someone that they expect to be a future cornerstone. That’s why I’m thinking it’s CB, since there could be huge value there.

I would be surprised if they don’t go some combination of CB/WR/RB with their top 3 picks.

Never know. They are almost certainly looking at who is a UFA that they may not be able to re-sign. 

I agree on the combination of CB/RB/WR - it seems likely that those positions will present the best value at their picks.  I think OT and DE will be picked over before 54.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

This year. Cole is 31 and Brown is 30.

WR4 this year may be dynamic WR2 in a few seasons. 

What round did we draft Diggs, Brown and Beasley?

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I hope so but I'm with Coach... I'm skeptical that happens. These guys are defensive oriented all around and that's where they are more comfortable.

I can see a RB being picked early, but Beane doesn't seem to trust drafting WRs early. I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait until 6th or 7th or even UDFA for a WR as they pass on some good prospects because they don't trust the position.... which is exactly what they did last year.

Well what happened to the wide receiver we drafted two drafts ago in the first round?

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is a great point and really interesting. 

Yes, I think there is a lot of "group think".    There is also the famous "trending higher or lower" for this or that player.  OK, the film is all still the same.  The combine and campus visits are all done.  There is very little change in the status of the players already on the rosters or FA signings.   All GM's keep their cards close to their vests and praise every player on their roster to the hilt.   (talk them up for a trade, hide where your team knows the holes are and keep the players happy).

Yet,  Joe Blow is not trending higher and .....

I have 3 daughters.  I remember while they were growing up, hearing stories of rumors and mean-girl developments that made something out of nothing.

I like to hear these rumors, but don't take them too seriously.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:54 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Sounds like we've had several facetime meetings with RB Derryton Evans (3rd), LB Shaq Quarterman (5th) and QB James Morgan (4th-6th).

That is interesting.  Can you name the source for this?

36 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

What round did we draft Diggs, Brown and Beasley?

Well what happened to the wide receiver we drafted two drafts ago in the first round?

Beane has never drafted a WR in the 1st. He has drafted a WR in the 6th and 7th. 

26 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Yes, I think there is a lot of "group think".    There is also the famous "trending higher or lower" for this or that player.  OK, the film is all still the same.  The combine and campus visits are all done.  There is very little change in the status of the players already on the rosters or FA signings.   All GM's keep their cards close to their vests and praise every player on their roster to the hilt.   (talk them up for a trade, hide where your team knows the holes are and keep the players happy).

Yet,  Joe Blow is not trending higher and .....

I have 3 daughters.  I remember while they were growing up, hearing stories of rumors and mean-girl developments that made something out of nothing.

I like to hear these rumors, but don't take them too seriously.

That is interesting.  Can you name the source for this?

They are all in the visits thread 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2