A "surprise quarterback" near the top of 2020 NFL MVP betting

4 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Let's see him complete 60% of his passes, or throw for 300 yards once, before we anoint him the MVP.

He threw for 3000 last year.

Josh for MVP is like a 3-way parlay and none of the bets are entirely implausible.

1. The Bills would have to win 12+ games and win the AFC East.

2. He would need a couple big 4th Q comebacks or strong games on the national stage.

3. He would need to have about 40 TDS rushing and passing (last year was 29). 

Cam Newton in 2015 would be the model. Team has a great season,  60% passing, 45 TDs rushing and passing

• Like (+1) 4

With 50:1 odds, I can see how it's an attractive bet. If Allen improves along the same curve he improved from year one to year two, and the O-line improves, and with the addition of Diggs, and a decent #2 RB? A $5,000 return on a $100 stake? That's a good bet!

EDIT: I'll certainly take that bet over 18:1 with Brady* in Tampa!

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Maybe its just my homerism, but to me the surprise there is Kyler Murray. Allen should be up there. He is a couple of deep balls away from putting up some ridiculous numbers. 

I don't expect Arizona to be good enough for Kyler to be in the MVP picture, but he's likely to have a strong supporting cast around him on the offensive end at least and between the supporting cast, the system, and his individual talent, there's some serious breakout potential there.

There's certainly potential with Allen to do the same, and we seem poised to be a better overall team thus helping Allen's chances, but I think most outside of Buffalo view Kyler as a better talent right now and may also see some similarities between Lamar's breakout 2019 and Kyler's potential to do the same in 2020.

At their original odds, I would rather wager on Allen, but I would tend to lean towards Kyler being a more likely candidate.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Maybe its just my homerism, but to me the surprise there is Kyler Murray. Allen should be up there. He is a couple of deep balls away from putting up some ridiculous numbers. 

Murray as a rookie had more passing yards than any season by Allen, completed 64% of his passes, and tied Allen in td passes in a much, much tougher division.  And now they got possibly the best receiver in then nfl.  I was really skeptical of Murray and he looks like a make a wish kid out there but he’s legit. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Murray as a rookie had more passing yards than any season by Allen, completed 64% of his passes, and tied Allen in td passes in a much, much tougher division.  And now they got possibly the best receiver in then nfl.  I was really skeptical of Murray and he looks like a make a wish kid out there but he’s legit. 

Facts were not allowed on this site before COVID and they are certainly not welcome during COVID...

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Whoops, let’s hope Vegas odds makers are right. Go Allen, and Billieve!

Let's hope they're not right. According to the oddsmakers, there are 19 QBs with a better shot at MVP than Josh. (And, the list I saw had him tied with Daniel Jones, Joe Burrow, and Tua Tagovailoa!)

15 hours ago, JustWinPlease said:

Let's see him complete 60% of his passes, or throw for 300 yards once, before we anoint him the MVP.

That is like saying "lets start paying attention to what he posts when he reaches 1000 posts."

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Facts were not allowed on this site before COVID and they are certainly not welcome during COVID...

Facts never stopped irrational ranters before.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

if he's an mvp candidate our record will be close to 15-1 next year 

Yup.  

Top 3 Defense 

Solid OL

What should be, post-draft, a strong 1-2 punch at RB

An upper half of the league group of pass catchers in Diggs-Brown-Beasley-Knox

*If Allen is even close to MVP level, heck, if Allen is even close to a Top 10 QB, this team will be one of the Super Bowl favorites 

23 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Check out the history of break out second year QB's going back to Carson Wentz's second year:

2017- Wentz (Likely MVP if he doesn't blow out his ACL week 14 or whatever it was, Brady ends up winning it that year)

2018- Mahomes MVP

2019- Jackson MVP

2020- Kyler Murray?? I think he's a great candidate. He's going to have the ball in his hands a lot with the option to run or throw. They had suspect personnel last year that should only get better. And of course that starts with Hopkins. 

The other second year breakouts for 2020 would include Daniel Jones and Drew Lock. Both showed flashes last year.