Quinton Spain to re-sign with buffalo, 3 yr 15 million

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Don't they have Ty? I would love to see them resign Waddle if his medicals are good. Ty and Waddle would give some quality options behind Ford and Dawkins (as both can play both sides.) 

They do have Ty, who is 34 and on the last year of his deal.  Forgot about Waddle since he was injured last year, interested to see how he does.

Ford is a talent.  Maybe it took him most of the season to begin adjusting to the speed of the game.  He's a beast, man, a mauler.  A lot of players take years to get to their peak.  Some never get there.  I have faith in this team.  Somebody earlier posted that continuity is critical to the success of an offensive line.  Perhaps last year was the training time for the players to get comfortable.  

I think they'll pick up another lineman or two in the draft to further develop the depth of talent.  

Excellent signing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I'd hate to break it to you but they are playing Ford at RT. McBeane drafted him (and traded up for him) and I think that they are rolling with Ford at RT with Ty as the backup plan in case he struggles. I think people here are underestimating Ford as he played a lot better to end the season. Give him another off-season to work out the kinks in his technique and work with his teammates he is now familiar with and I think he surprises you. 

I hope so... would rather have Conklin still

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sherlock Holmes said:

I hope so... would rather have Conklin still

IF the Bills signed Conklin and kicked Ford in or traded him to get a WR I would love it as I think you can never be too good along the O-line. However in a capped league I think you have to manage your resources smartly as you only have so many dollars to throw around. Ford in year two will be improved enough at RT to where I think most will be comfortable with his caliber of play. I trust McBeane's drafting and Ford did play better last year deeper into the season. 

• Like (+1) 2

Spain got some hate this year from fans but I didn't understand it myself. He seemed pretty good to me. I saw a few examples of excellent play from him. But, of course, I didn't focus on watching the oline all that much.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

IF the Bills signed Conklin and kicked Ford in or traded him to get a WR I would love it as I think you can never be too good along the O-line. However in a capped league I think you have to manage your resources smartly as you only have so many dollars to throw around. Ford in year two will be improved enough at RT to where I think most will be comfortable with his caliber of play. I trust McBeane's drafting and Ford did play better last year deeper into the season. 

Would love to trade Ford towards McCaffrey or Kupp

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I think you meant to have Feliciano behind Morse. Spain isn't our backup center.

Dont forget Ryan Bates.....who showed to be solid at G and C

I am really starting to think we are going to roll with last year's OL.....with the idea that Ty N. starts and Ford has to play better to overcome him.....Waddle being the backup LT

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Continuation is extremely important among the offensive line so I love this move.  It will interesting to see if they look to upgrade at RT and have Ford compete for one of the guard spots.

When the Giants won their Super Bowl in 2007 that O-line had 4 starters that had been playing their 3rd full season together and were a big reason they went on that run. In 2011, 3 out of the 5 starters along the O-line were the same from the 2007 season. I think continuity in O-line play is huge as is depth. Right now this team has kept together the O-line and retained its depth. This move along with Norman and the option pickup of Long are all good moves. Hopefully Shaq can come back at a good price too. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I'd hate to break it to you but they are playing Ford at RT. McBeane drafted him (and traded up for him) and I think that they are rolling with Ford at RT with Ty as the backup plan in case he struggles. I think people here are underestimating Ford as he played a lot better to end the season. Give him another off-season to work out the kinks in his technique and work with his teammates he is now familiar with and I think he surprises you. 

It’s a mistake imo.  Let ford compete for a starting spot.  He didn’t earn jack.  We have money, we should improve our OL.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Dont forget Ryan Bates.....who showed to be solid at G and C

I am really starting to think we are going to roll with last year's OL.....with the idea that Ty N. starts and Ford has to play better to overcome him.....Waddle being the backup LT

Isn't Waddle a free agent? I would love to see the Bills resign him if his medicals are good. He would be the 9th O-line player and they can draft a O-line player late to bring some competition and get on the PS. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

It’s a mistake imo.  Let ford compete for a starting spot.  He didn’t earn jack.  We have money, we should improve our OL.  

It was substantially better than it has been but it was not "good" and far from great. What we don't know is if the extra year would really make a difference continuity wise, as well as how much Ford will improve.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Just now, NewEra said:

They have Ty (and possibly Waddle if they resign him) to push him make him earn his spot. They are going with Ford/Ty at RT. With an eye to have Ford win the job long term. I think the improvement in the O-line is going to come from a combination on continuity and Ford improving. They don't need to spend 15 million on Conklin when they have other needs and a limited amount of cash (esp when you consider they are going to want to roll over a chunk of their cash for extensions.)

Well I will change my earlier stance of being on the fence. Beane is a wizard and that is yet another fantastic team friendly deal. 
They have done something here, I cannot possibly believe Spain would not have gotten more money in free agency from someone. 

• Like (+1) 3