Quinton Spain to re-sign with buffalo, 3 yr 15 million

I know people are wanting them to keep working on the O-line by bringing in some new good players but I think it's also important to remember that while the line does need to improve last year 4/5 of the starters were new. Which basically means all 5 were new to working with each other, hell even a lot of the depth was new. The starting RT was a rookie and it was the first year of our new OL coach. Plenty of reasons to think this O-Line improves this year even without a bunch of shiny new toys.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m on the fence for this one. 
He’s an above average player, I’m no pff analyst or huge film watcher but he seemed to have some issues in pass protection but seemed to excel in the run game. I considered him and Ford our weak links in pass pro. As much of a beating as Ford took for getting beat I always wondered why Spain didn’t catch some of the same. But I could of course be wrong I didn’t replay enough stuff to verify 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Quinton Spain to re-sign with buffalo, terms unknown
8 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Far from mostly set.

Nah, it's pretty much set

LT - Dawkins/Nsekhe

LG - Spain/Long

C - Morse/Spain/Long

RG - Feliciano/Ford

RT - Ford/Nsekhe

Maybe grab another Tackle, and a Guard to compete, but we can roll with that.

• Like (+1) 8

7 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Far from mostly set.

This is a genuine question. IF Spain is resigned then where are the major moves? The starting line would be the same as what ended last season Dawkins-Spain-Mitch-Feliciano-Ford off the bench would be Long, Ty, and Bates. I don't know where you are usurping someone along the line and what else you would need besides another depth player and some camp competition. 

If they resign Spain then where else are you making moves along the O-line besides maybe one more piece of depth? I know a lot here think Ford at RT isn't good but McBeane drafted him in round 2 and while he was up and down he got better the more he played in my opinion. I think they are fine with Ford at RT. Mitch and Dawkins are locks to be starters, Spain is too if they are resigning him, and I see no reason why Feliciano isn't the starting RG either. 

So how is "mostly set" not accurate? If Spain is retained I don't see where the major move comes. 

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

LT - Dawkins/Nsekhe

LG - Spain/Long

C - Morse/Spain/Long

RG - Feliciano/Ford

RT - Ford/Nsekhe

If Waddle's medicals are good I would love to see him brought into camp along with another low end veteran O-line player and a late round pick who could be placed on the PS. I think this team is set along the O-line beyond just adding that 9th O-line player and some camp competition which could be done with a low cost vet and a late round pick. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

LT - Dawkins/Nsekhe

LG - Spain/Long

C - Morse/Spain/Long

RG - Feliciano/Ford

RT - Ford/Nsekhe

I think you meant to have Feliciano behind Morse. Spain isn't our backup center.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If Waddle's medicals are good I would love to see him brought into camp along with another low end veteran O-line player and a late round pick who could be placed on the PS. I think this team is set along the O-line beyond just adding that 9th O-line player and some camp competition which could be done with a low cost vet and a late round pick. 

My only concern with being "not set" is that Feliciano and Nsekhe are up after this year and Dawkins is due an extension.  So long term, no. But we're good for this year at least.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I know people are wanting them to keep working on the O-line by bringing in some new good players but I think it's also important to remember that while the line does need to improve last year 4/5 of the starters were new. Which basically means all 5 were new to working with each other, hell even a lot of the depth was new. The starting RT was a rookie and it was the first year of our new OL coach. Plenty of reasons to think this O-Line improves this year even without a bunch of shiny new toys.

O-lines tend to play better the more they have played with each other. I think McBeane are banking on two things to improve the O-line play. 1- Continuity and 2- Ford developing. If the line having a full season under their belts results in better play and Ford takes a step up this should be a top 10 O-line. 

• Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My only concern with being "not set" is that Feliciano and Nsekhe are up after this year and Dawkins is due an extension.  So long term, no. But we're good for this year at least.

Fair enough, I was more so thinking of 2020 and not beyond. I think they will extend Feliciano and Dawkins and then draft a O-line player late and stash him on the PS to get a bit younger on the bench after 2020 as both Ty and Long are up after 2020. But With Spain and Mitch on long term deals and Ford with 3 years left on a rookie deal (And I think Bates is a restricted free agent after 2020), I think they just need to extend at least Dawkins to be fine over the course of the next 3 years. I love Feliciano so I would love to see him resigned too but you have to at least get your LT taken care of. 

• Like (+1) 1

Delighted actually about this

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

might be a trade candidate.  perhaps we could do some kind of player for player deal and maybe get a rb or something? or for diggs? ooooh me likey

Love Feliciano .Keeper

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, aristocrat said:

might be a trade candidate.  perhaps we could do some kind of player for player deal and maybe get a rb or something? or for diggs? ooooh me likey

I think McBeane drafted Ford because they want him at RT and given that Ford was far from tragic his rookie year (I would say he was average overall, rough early but finished better) I think they are comfortable with him (and they have Ty as a stop gap) at RT. This dream so many on this board have of Ford getting kick inside isn't happening (At least I don't think so.) I think they are rolling with the same O-line as last year hoping that continuity and Ford developing more takes them from an above average O-line to a very good one. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Feliciano might be a trade candidate.  perhaps we could do some kind of player for player deal and maybe get a rb or something? or for diggs? ooooh me likey

No way we trade Feliciano. He's our backup Center, and darn good at it. Not to mention our best OG.

• Like (+1) 5