Quinton Spain to re-sign with buffalo, 3 yr 15 million

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Still there is uncertainty. I mean I don't personally know Spain's market but I feel he could've gotten a larger deal.

The G position is a tricky market this year.

The Bills thought Thuney was way too much. A part of the reason they brought Spain back.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

If Spain resigns then the O-line is mostly set (rolls 8 deep with TY, Bates, and Long off the bench) just need a couple of extra pieces for depth, a low end vet signing and a late round pick would do the trick. 

I understand what you are saying but I would more likely say headed in the right direction.

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Im on the fence too because of Ford.

But Spain was actually in pass protection.  He didn’t allow a sack all year long 

Yeah I seen the pff stuff.. But I know I seen some plays where he was blown up and Morse or Dawkins had to bail him out and the whole line would be overwhelmed cause of it. 
But he is above average and that’s a helluva good contract to keep him. He must like his teammates and the potential. Overall I’m happy 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My only concern with being "not set" is that Feliciano and Nsekhe are up after this year and Dawkins is due an extension.  So long term, no. But we're good for this year at least.

They weren't that good last year, but they're good this year with the same line? I'm confused, do people think the offensive line was good last year and are excited to keep it the same?

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Dont forget Ryan Bates.....who showed to be solid at G and C

I am really starting to think we are going to roll with last year's OL.....with the idea that Ty N. starts and Ford has to play better to overcome him.....Waddle being the backup LT

I am for this. Give Waddle a similar deal to the one year $2 mil he signed last year. I liked how Waddle was very present around the team even though he suffered a season ending injury. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think Waddell is back.

OL was very average but it's a  group you can win with. Also has growth potential based on Ford's sophomore season.

The OL was a work in progress in 2019.

The Bills think having the same starting 5 might up the ante and make them a top unit.

We shall see.

Just now, njbuff said:

The G position is a tricky market this year.

The Bills thought Thuney was way too much. A part of the reason they brought Spain back.

If the Bills get LB Kirksey and possibly someone like DE Mario Addison at average contracts this free agency has great potential. 

Then reward our cheaper stars like Poyer and Hyde. Extend White, Dawkins, and Milano. This will be a home run off season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

They weren't that good last year, but they're good this year with the same line? I'm confused, do people think the offensive line was good last year and are excited to keep it the same?

Continuity is a reason for thinking it will improve.

I don't know, but I think it can work.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If the Bills get LB Kirksey and possibly someone like DE Mario Addison at average contracts this free agency has great potential. 

Then reward our cheaper stars like Poyer and Hyde. Extend White, Dawkins, and Milano. This will be a home run off season.

I like it all, except I am on the fence about extending Poyer.

His coverage wasn't good and he was one of the main culprits of a lot of missed tackles in 2019.

9 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Far from set? That ensures all 5 returning starters are back... how much further will a team go with other glaring holes to fill?

think about what happened last year. Beane kept adding until there was too much depth to keep everyone, then traded the excess for draft picks. 

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I like it all, except I am on the fence about extending Poyer.

His coverage wasn't good and he was one of the main culprits of a lot of missed tackles in 2019.

I might be looking to draft Poyer’s replacement in the draft. If they don’t think it could be J Johnson. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I'd hate to break it to you but they are playing Ford at RT. McBeane drafted him (and traded up for him) and I think that they are rolling with Ford at RT with Ty as the backup plan in case he struggles. I think people here are underestimating Ford as he played a lot better to end the season. Give him another off-season to work out the kinks in his technique and work with his teammates he is now familiar with and I think he surprises you. 

There's no way, based on what we know about McDermott, that decision has already been made.  They may hope he earns the spot but he won't be given it. 

6 minutes ago, White Linen said:

There's no way, based on what we know about McDermott, that decision has already been made.  They may hope he earns the spot but he won't be given it. 

I should qualify that they are not brining in a big time free agent RT or spending a high draft pick at RT. They are rolling with the Ford/Ty and possibly Waddle or another lower tier free agent or late round pick at RT. The competition will be there but it is going to be from Ford/Ty and other more minor acquisitions. People here want Conklin or another big grab but I just don't see that happening. I think they want to see what Ford can do after finishing the season strong while having  Ty as a backstop. 

27 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The O-line play ranged from Average to Above Average last season. But keep in mind that was with a rookie in Ford and 4 new starters and 3 new backups. Only Dawkins remained from the previous season. And O-line play is improved with continuity. I think the O-line just having one season under their belt is a tremendous advantage and if you can get Ford to improve that will get them to be a top 10 unit in the league. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I know people are wanting them to keep working on the O-line by bringing in some new good players but I think it's also important to remember that while the line does need to improve last year 4/5 of the starters were new. Which basically means all 5 were new to working with each other, hell even a lot of the depth was new. The starting RT was a rookie and it was the first year of our new OL coach. Plenty of reasons to think this O-Line improves this year even without a bunch of shiny new toys.

This is true - but it would be irresponsible of Beane not to bring in some OL competition.   We did not have a Super Bowl caliber OL last year.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Another good thing about this is that OL is a position that 5th-6th rounders seem to be able to develop into quality players a little more frequent than other positions. Mostly, I assume, because athleticism is of slightly less importance there compared to most other positions. So with a solid starting line intact we can take a flyer on a guy later in the draft who is more of a boom or bust player and then not have to rely on him playing as a rookie.

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 1