Quinton Spain to re-sign with buffalo, 3 yr 15 million

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nah, it's pretty much set

LT - Dawkins/Nsekhe

LG - Spain/Long

C - Morse/Spain/Long

RG - Feliciano/Ford

RT - Ford/Nsekhe

Maybe grab another Tackle, and a Guard to compete, but we can roll with that.

People thought that last year before we drafted Ford.

You're right that we can roll with that, but will we?

Anyway, I like the signing.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I should qualify that they are not brining in a big time free agent RT or spending a high draft pick at RT. They are rolling with the Ford/Ty and possibly Waddle or another lower tier free agent or late round pick at RT. The competition will be there but it is going to be from Ford/Ty and other more minor acquisitions. People here want Conklin or another big grab but I just don't see that happening. I think they want to see what Ford can do after finishing the season strong while having  Ty as a backstop. 

Gotcha.  I guess I didn't read enough posts to see that's where you were coming from. 

Spain was not very good and bringing him back is a disappointment to me. I thought the line was a weakness last year and Spain and Ford were the weakest links. Ford was just a rookie and isn't going anywhere but I thought Spain's position could easily be upgraded.

I don't really understand all the excitement for bringing back Kroft or acquiring Norman either. I read one poster saying he thought there was a decent chance Norman doesn't even make the team but it's a great contract because he only gets 3 million dollars if he doesn't. Does that make sense? A guy you think has a decent chance not to make the team is guaranteed 3 mil and that's a great thing?

Kroft had 6 catches for 6.5 million dollars, 70 catches combined over the last 5 seasons, and some people are excited to give him another shot for only 4 million.     Not trying to be a downer, but I'm not excited about these moves so far. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong but the offensive line and tight end positions were weak spots last year and just sticking with the same guys and expecting much better results is not real encouraging imo.

38 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I should qualify that they are not brining in a big time free agent RT or spending a high draft pick at RT. They are rolling with the Ford/Ty and possibly Waddle or another lower tier free agent or late round pick at RT. The competition will be there but it is going to be from Ford/Ty and other more minor acquisitions. People here want Conklin or another big grab but I just don't see that happening. I think they want to see what Ford can do after finishing the season strong while having  Ty as a backstop. 

The O-line play ranged from Average to Above Average last season. But keep in mind that was with a rookie in Ford and 4 new starters and 3 new backups. Only Dawkins remained from the previous season. And O-line play is improved with continuity. I think the O-line just having one season under their belt is a tremendous advantage and if you can get Ford to improve that will get them to be a top 10 unit in the league. 

I have seen the oline ranked around 20th last year on a couple different sites. It was obvious to me they were not good enough to go deep into the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Another good thing about this is that OL is a position that 5th-6th rounders seem to be able to develop into quality players a little more frequent than other positions. Mostly, I assume, because athleticism is of slightly less importance there compared to most other positions. So with a solid starting line intact we can take a flyer on a guy later in the draft who is more of a boom or bust player and then not have to rely on him playing as a rookie.

Aren't those lineman that Bobby Johnson was working with at the Clemson pro day today project to be Day 3 guys? One of them could be in the plan there. 

Also, let's not forget about Ike Boettger. This is likely the show something or you're out year for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think they roll with most of the line from last year.  You have your starters with Ford/Ty competing and then Bates and Long as back-ups.  

I will be interested to see about Waddle, but remember if the new CBA passes there are extra PS spots including for 2 veteran players.  So the Bills could draft late round guys or sign another guy to compete and still have a place to stash a player if needed.

21 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Spain was not very good and bringing him back is a disappointment to me. I thought the line was a weakness last year and Spain and Ford were the weakest links. Ford was just a rookie and isn't going anywhere but I thought Spain's position could easily be upgraded.

I don't really understand all the excitement for bringing back Kroft or acquiring Norman either. I read one poster saying he thought there was a decent chance Norman doesn't even make the team but it's a great contract because he only gets 3 million dollars if he doesn't. Does that make sense? A guy you think has a decent chance not to make the team is guaranteed 3 mil and that's a great thing?

Kroft had 6 catches for 6.5 million dollars, 70 catches combined over the last 5 seasons, and some people are excited to give him another shot for only 4 million.     Not trying to be a downer, but I'm not excited about these moves so far. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong but the offensive line and tight end positions were weak spots last year and just sticking with the same guys and expecting much better results is not real encouraging imo.

I have seen the oline ranked around 20th last year on a couple different sites. It was obvious to me they were not good enough to go deep into the playoffs.

PFF had them 21st overall and Football outsiders had them 16th. I couldn't find too many other rankings but from my eye test the O-line's play ranged from average to above average. But that was with 4 new starters and a lot of turnover in the coaching staff in the O-line and a rookie in Cody Ford starting. 

I think that the increase in continuity (which is big for O-line play) and a better year from Ford in year two will see the O-line improve to being a top 10 unit.I do agree that the Kroft restructuring wasn't the best, although I do like the Norman signing. 

Edited by billsfan89

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If the Bills get LB Kirksey and possibly someone like DE Mario Addison at average contracts this free agency has great potential. 

Then reward our cheaper stars like Poyer and Hyde. Extend White, Dawkins, and Milano. This will be a home run off season.

Hyde has 2 years left on his current deal. He signed a nice $30 million deal and he will get paid all $30 million. He's fine.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My only concern with being "not set" is that Feliciano and Nsekhe are up after this year and Dawkins is due an extension.  So long term, no. But we're good for this year at least.

I could see Bills drafting an OT.  Nsekhe is 35 and has 1 year left and the Bills really don't have a 4th OT.  Bates is an interior lineman imo.  Drafting an OT would give the Bills a third OT to groom into swing tackle behind Ford and Dawkins beyond 2020.

• Like (+1) 2

Three years for $15,000,000 is a solid deal imo. We surely didn't overpay and he was solid last year. I don't think this excludes us from adding another guy or two via FA and the draft either. Beane is all about value and you can never have enough quality OL players because injuries happen. 

Edited by H2o

41 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

$5 million a year is not a fortune but it is starting money. It doesn't look like we're going to change our O line this coming year. But maybe they draft and RT to develop.

Are you kidding, that is a great deal for the Bills, especially for a guy who didn't give up a sack (or close to it)

3 hours ago, WMDman said:

Welp there goes everyones hopes of Ford to gaurd

Im glad spain got re-signed (hopefully) 

Short term yes, longer term still up in the air. 

My take on this entire thing is while Ford didn't play great at RT, for a rookie, he more than held his own.  Lets see how he handles the upcoming season so give him another full year a RT and still have Ty to spell him if needed. 

Next year at this time Feliciano is a FA so if Ford doesn't look better at RT, then move him inside next year into that spot.