The strange question thread.

teef

I had a fairly strange question, so why not start a thread of them. 

so...do you, (did you) kiss your dad. Not the open mouth/heavy petting kind, but a kiss on the cheek when you see each other?  

I do every time I see my dad, whether or not it’s in public. A colleague and I were talking about it, and he felt it was a bit much. He’s more of a handshake kind of guy which I completely understand. Maybe it’s an Italian thing, but I kiss all of my family when I see them. Just kinda curious. 

24 minutes ago, teef said:

so...do you, (did you) kiss your dad. Not the open mouth/heavy petting kind, but a kiss on the cheek when you see each other?  

I do every time I see my dad, whether or not it’s in public. A colleague and I were talking about it, and he felt it was a bit much. He’s more of a handshake kind of guy which I completely understand. Maybe it’s an Italian thing, but I kiss all of my family when I see them. Just kinda curious. 

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, teef said:

I didn’t  think the question was strange until you clarified you didn’t mean French kissing.  

I didn’t kiss my father, but I did hug regularly and often after I became an adult.  It really wasn’t his thing, but God love him he’d pat me on the back and tolerate my newfangled ways.  He died many years ago, and I’m grateful for every minute.  

Good for you, and send your friend some dead fish wrapped up in newspaper.  It means “Thanks so much for sharing your opinion, it means the world to me and I’ll consider your perspective moving forward.” In Italian, but you probably knew that. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, teef said:

No, I never gave your dad tongue, but maybe a little pat on the backside. It seemed well received.  :)

My wife’s family is Lebanese and they’d do the whole one, two, and somethings three kisses on the cheeks. Back and forth, and back again.....I never got in the rhythm there, anywhere from 1 to 3. That included her uncle who would come to visit  each year. 

We got into the habit of hugs each time we meet and depart, because you’d never know when it would be the last time. I like that, but I keep the kissing to my wife. And of course my two mistresses, but they don’t count, do they? 

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, teef said:

Yep. I’d give Dad a kiss on the cheek even until he died at 81. Nothing wrong with it. You love and respect your Dad. That’s cool. 

If you open mouth kiss your yellow lab after she whores around the neighborhood then take this crap to the UKC Message Board. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, teef said:

I kiss my mom and dad on the cheek every time I see them.

I see my brother and sister a few times/year.  When I see them, I'll give my sis a hug and kiss her on the cheek; my bro and I just hug, but it's a couple seconds longer than a "bro hug."

My son is not a kisser and barely a hugger.  He's okay with a hug and a kiss on top of his head, but that's all.

Nephews are the classic handshake/hug/two pats on the back.  My niece, I'll give a quick hug to.

Even when I was a teenager and my dad would drop me off somewhere, I'd give him a kiss before I got out of the car.  Zero shame in that.  Respect and love.

• Like (+1) 1

My dad was never big on open displays of affection, but once I moved away and we see each other so much less, I started instituting hugs at the beginning and end of our visits, but they end up being open half bro awkward  hugs if that’s a thing—that’s our compromise lol.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, teef said:

Nope, no Italian here just hardened Irish German and polish ancestry, hell it feels weird as hell to give him a hug.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, teef said:

I asked Hubby if he did the double-sided-kiss with his father, he said yes. His father was Italian (an Italian citizen who became an American citizen). His dad died many years before I met hubby, but his uncle (father's brother) also did the double-sided-kiss with him (and me).

Hubby's mother did the double-sided-kiss. She was French (a French citizen who became an American citizen). ALL his relatives in France do the double-sided-kiss thing with him (and me).

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, /dev/null said:

giphy.gif

i can make this far more weird.  

12 hours ago, Augie said:

No, I never gave your dad tongue, but maybe a little pat on the backside. It seemed well received.  :)

My wife’s family is Lebanese and they’d do the whole one, two, and somethings three kisses on the cheeks. Back and forth, and back again.....I never got in the rhythm there, anywhere from 1 to 3. That included her uncle who would come to visit  each year. 

We got into the habit of hugs each time we meet and depart, because you’d never know when it would be the last time. I like that, but I keep the kissing to my wife. And of course my two mistresses, but they don’t count, do they? 

i think of part of it is definitely cultural. i completely get it when people don't do it either.  i certainly don't think it means a lack of affection.  just preference.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Yep. I’d give Dad a kiss on the cheek even until he died at 81. Nothing wrong with it. You love and respect your Dad. That’s cool. 

If you open mouth kiss your yellow lab after she whores around the neighborhood then take this crap to the UKC Message Board. 

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I see my brother and sister a few times/year.  When I see them, I'll give my sis a hug and kiss her on the cheek; my bro and I just hug, but it's a couple seconds longer than a "bro hug."

My son is not a kisser and barely a hugger.  He's okay with a hug and a kiss on top of his head, but that's all.

Nephews are the classic handshake/hug/two pats on the back.  My niece, I'll give a quick hug to.

Even when I was a teenager and my dad would drop me off somewhere, I'd give him a kiss before I got out of the car.  Zero shame in that.  Respect and love.

this is where i'm at.  my parents will both be 80 in a few months, so time becomes more precious.  the strange thing is that i don't come from an affectionate family at all. our show of love is usually busting someone's balls without mercy.  still, my parents made us give hugs/kisses when we let the house in the morning, came home and night, and before bed.  that didn't go on as we got older, but we always still hug and kiss when we see each other.

i just give my brother a hug, (no kiss) and the nieces and nephews are always a big hug.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I didn’t kiss my father, but I did hug regularly and often after I became an adult.  It really wasn’t his thing, but God love him he’d pat me on the back and tolerate my newfangled ways.  He died many years ago, and I’m grateful for every minute.  

Pretty much the same for me, hugs and an awkward back pat until he got used to the new norm, still wish I could get one....

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

That's more a Hispanic greeting, right? Peck on cheek.  Ends up more like hug and cheek to cheek.  My sister inlaw is from Mexico and everybody in their family greet that way.  I thought it was weird at first 23 years ago when we first met her... But now everybody is doing it, even when she's not around... it's normal. LoL...

No....I didn't kiss my Dad. I gave him an Anglo homophobic (just being funny)  handshake. LoL...

55 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=13267218

Mods... Can we turn this into a CPR thread... I am getting weirded out.  LoL...

On 2/5/2020 at 7:00 PM, teef said:

Always did.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't touch my dad with any part of my body and any part of his body.  My dad doesn't shake hands, it's pretty weird.  He's not a germaphobe....he just doesn't do it.

I honestly don't know what his hands feel like.

I am closer to this. I give both my parents and my sister pretty weak Hugs with pats on the back. I think my dad gets sort of a side hug.  I think we (or maybe just I) fell into this precedent years ago, and it would be weird now changing. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's more a Hispanic greeting, right? Peck on cheek.  Ends up more like hug and cheek to cheek.  My sister inlaw is from Mexico and everybody in their family greet that way.  I thought it was weird at first 23 years ago when we first met her... But now everybody is doing it, even when she's not around... it's normal. LoL...

No....I didn't kiss my Dad. I gave him an Anglo homophobic (just being funny)  handshake. LoL...

Mods... Can we turn this into a CPR thread... I am getting weirded out.  LoL...

My dad hasn't an ounce of hispanic blood in his body.  His mother was very affectionate, though.  His father, not at all.  My mom's parents were big huggers and kissers and they were 100% Puerto Rican.

My theory is that my dad grew up with a cold, affectionless father and when HE became a father, promised himself that he wouldn't put his own children through that.  I'm glad.  I'm glad I was brought up with tons of affection.  I wouldn't want it any other way and I'm proudly keeping it going.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am closer to this. I give both my parents and my sister pretty weak Hugs with pats on the back. I think my dad gets sort of a side hug.  I think we (or maybe just I) fell into this precedent years ago, and it would be weird now changing. 

It's nothing with my father.  We don't hug or shake hands or pat each other on the back.  There just isn't that closeness.  

I'm the opposite, I'm a hugger.  I hug and give the two pats on the back type of guy.  

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's nothing with my father.  We don't hug or shake hands or pat each other on the back.  There just isn't that closeness.  

I'm the opposite, I'm a hugger.  I hug and give the two pats on the back type of guy.  

Oh, it was nothing with my father, too. He didn’t like touching people. He lectured his doctor for licking his fingers to turn the pages in his chart. The only day of the year we could go on a picnic was New Years Day in WNY, because they drank too much the night before, and there would be no flies near his food. That became a strange, but fun,  tradition. 

But the rest of us are huggers. It goes back to the old “you never know if this is the last time” state of mind, and I think that’s the proper attitude. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Oh, it was nothing with my father, too. He didn’t like touching people. He lectured his doctor for licking his fingers to turn the pages in his chart. The only day of the year we could go on a picnic was New Years Day in WNY, because they drank too much the night before, and there would be no flies near his food. That became a strange, but fun,  tradition. 

But the rest of us are huggers. It goes back to the old “you never know if this is the last time” state of mind, and I think that’s the proper attitude. 

My dad just feels real uncomfortable when people are close.  He would never be a close talker.

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm a kisser.  You just wait till we meet.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My dad just feels real uncomfortable when people are close.  He would never be a close talker.

There is a nice old guy at the tennis courts I go to several times a week. He’s in his 80’s and he’s a super good guy.....but he does NOT understand personal space. If you make him laugh or react too much in any way, he will latch onto you, and he will NOT LET GO! CRAZY strong old guy! He may grab a shoulder with one hand, and fake hit you with the other. I think I make him react too much, because I get the brunt of this. I literally have to stand up and break away! Then he gets offended. 

Now, having said that, he’s a sweet old man who can get from home to his lunch restaurant, or from home to the courts, but he can’t get from the courts to the restaurant. I hope I’m still playing tennis in my mid 80’s. 

Everybody is different. Understand and embrace that. 

Just now, Gugny said:

I'm a kisser.  You just wait till we meet.

I’m actually busy the week of the second home game. 

Forever. 

Dumb question: When going to an appointment or another office, I might ask “Do you have a bathroom?” If someone was a wise ass they’d say “Uhhhh, no. Just go outside by the fence”

Plus, it’s not a bath I’m looking for...I have to pee. 

So what do you call the place to relieve yourself when in another office or home?

Bathroom

Restroom

Toilet

Powder room (@CrippleCreek)

Head (@ExiledinIllinois)

Tinkletorium

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Dumb question: When going to an appointment or another office, I might ask “Do you have a bathroom?” If someone was a wise ass they’d say “Uhhhh, no. Just go outside by the fence”

Plus, it’s not a bath I’m looking for...I have to pee. 

So what do you call the place to relieve yourself when in another office or home?

Bathroom

Restroom

Toilet

Powder room (@CrippleCreek)

Head (@ExiledinIllinois)

Tinkletorium

Restroom.  Just ask where it is next time, not if it exists.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:00 PM, teef said:

Uh....his side of the family was Irish/English.  I think we exchanged the word ‘love’ twice in my adult life.  Might have been a brief hug at my college graduation.  Kissing?  That’s for those nutty Italians.

Men in our family shook hands....still do with my brothers.  Funny thing is my 3 sisters are all married to huggers so I’ve adapted.

Edited by KD in CA