Bills Fans Are Really Overanalyzing The Loss To The Patriots

8 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

So is this about you?  Or is this about the Bills?  Because my point is, I don’t feel a win or loss will have any effect when they step on the field during the Wildcard game

It's very possible it's about me - but I have a hunch it's about the Bills, and most other teams.

When the Pats step on the field, I feel like they have half the battle won. It's the "mystique and aura" that Schilling joked about the Yankees years ago.  I'd take a lot of convincint to think that the Patriots do not have a psychological advantage at the start of every game at this point.

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

This game was critical to set the tone between the two teams going forward.  They knew they dodged a bullet against us in Buffalo.  This was the game to make a statement.  Instead another loss.  

Brady is 31-1 against us.  They have beats us for 2 straight decades.  McD is now 0-6 and in the same as every coach since Levy. 

Why do think any game against these guys is not important?   Beating them is an urgent priority.  The fans are correct to react and the players better learn they are several rings on the  ladder below the legit contenders.  Making a wildcard is nice but this was our first playoff game.  

This game is not important to win.  It will have no effect to this team moving forward or in then playoffs.  This loss was no more devastating than any other one this year.

Thats the point of this thread.  Fans are reading too much into it

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

I disagree but if we collapse in 2020 I’m all for it. 

I was joking.  Bills fans are ridiculous 

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Nope you are wrong.  Brady is very good against pressure from the blitz.  He will pick a defense apart.

He has struggled with pressure up the middle from the defensive line.  Unfortunately the Bills got little pressure from their front 4 today.

You are correct from a historical standpoint, but who has he picked apart this season? Today was maybe his most efficient game of the year. If I’m a DC, I’m at least going to test him against the blitz. If he proves he could beat it, I’d stand back, but I would no longer avoid the blitz out of reverence for Brady. 

Dumb tendencies....yet they were 1 overthrow to an open TE from winning.  

Oh and they won 10 games....

Yeah. Dumb tendencies or else they probably have a comfortable lead late in this one and we are finally beating these guys for once. It’s been a great season and the team is a lot of fun. But we are our own worst enemy and are holding us back from amazing things. 

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

They called a style of D that showed fear and respect for Brady imo. I’m not certain why, because Brady hasn’t shown much this season. We needed to make him prove he can beat pressure, because Tommy has never dealt well with pressure (Giants Super Bowls), and now has a weak oline. Instead, we opted to play it safe. 

They called a simple D that wouldn’t put anything they’ve probably been working on for the playoffs on film. Calculated decision. They know how to beat Brady, look at the first game. Today’s game from Allen in that game and they in. They might see NE again if they win in the WC game, so I get it. Would have been very surprised today to see them throw all kinds of stunts and pressures at NE . 

This game is not important to win.  It will have no effect to this team moving forward or in then playoffs.  This loss was no more devastating than any other one this year.

I was joking.  Bills fans are ridiculous 

so why’d they even play their starters today? Your whole screed to the virtues of loser mentality is based on a hypothetical future loss, and you’re criticizing others’ here? Adorable.

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Playcalling is the ultimate scapegoat for this team.  I think the bigger problem was the execution.  The Bills tackled poorly and got beat upfront on both sides of the ball.  How is this playcalling?

Also Josh Allen had an open Dawson Knox in the endzone.  He missed the throw.  How is that playcalling?

Defensively we didn’t do anything all game other than rush 4. That’s not what we do. 
No blitzing. No pressuring the a gap

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Everyone understands the analysis of the playoff rankings.  I get that winning will mostly like nit change our slot at 5.   

I think that this  game was about more than that.    Therefore, I disagree with the point if the thread.  I actually think the point of the thread is wrong.  This game was important to win for all the reasons I stated.  

Oh, wait till next year, right?  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yeah. Dumb tendencies or else they probably have a comfortable lead late in this one and we are finally beating these guys for once. It’s been a great season and the team is a lot of fun. But we are our own worst enemy and are holding us back from amazing things. 

They should hire you as a special assistant coach.  That would help them cut down on dumb tendencies 

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Everyone understands the analysis of the playoff rankings.  I get that winning will mostly like nit change our slot at 5.   

I think that this  game was about more than that.    Therefore, I disagree with the point if the thread.  I actually think the point of the thread is wrong.  This game was important to win for all the reasons I stated.  

Oh, wait till next year, right?  

Today’s outcome is meaningless.  It won’t be in the players minds in the playoffs.  They’ll move past it.  

Like I said, this game seems more devastating for fans than players.  The effects of this loss won’t linger for players.  

Bills fans though.   That’s another story 

1 minute ago, Chris66 said:

2nd worse. 2002 was the worse

2002 when many of these players were in 2nd grade. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think the effort was there by the players ( not necessarily the execution) but the coaches went 99% simple and vanilla. They knew a win wasn’t going to improve their spot and they need their best defensive work to win in the playoffs. The passive gameplan vs a hobbled and slow Brady said it all. They we’re far from embarrassed , and players got valuable experience vs a top defensive unit. However, they weren’t going to waste their best stuff ( or put new things on film) in this game. If the game was for the AFCE and a bye week, they would have went after Brady relentlessly. His numbers this year when pressured vs not pressured are a stark contrast to previous years. 

I hope you’re right about the gameplanning, but I’m not convinced.  I think they just got out-coached and outplayed—again.  I think McDermott wanted this one badly.

• Like (+1) 1

Winning this game wasn’t about playoff seeding. It was about finally beating the bully that has dunked our head in the toilet for two decades letting the league know that’s not happening anymore. It was gaining confidence going into the playoffs and realizing that this team can beat any team in any stadium.

The Bills received another swirly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MDH said:

Winning this game wasn’t about playoff seeding. It was about finally beating the bully that has dunked our head in the toilet for two decades letting the league know that’s not happening anymore. It was gaining confidence going into the playoffs and realizing that this team can beat any team in any stadium.

The Bills received another swirly.

No it was about YOU receiving a swirly.  Not the players.  I don’t think that a win makes this team any more confident in the Wildcard round.  They already know they can beat any team in any stadium.

Read these comments from players in the locker room.  Doesn’t really seem like they are very down:

1 minute ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Definitely. It mattered to EVERYBODY. 

Not really.... the players aren’t crying the locker room like fans are on Twitter.  They are very confident

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I hope you’re right about the gameplanning, but I’m not convinced.  I think they just got out-coached and outplayed—again.  I think McDermott wanted this one badly.

I went into the game thinking if they play vanilla up front and don’t throw pressures at Brady, they’re thinking of the playoffs exclusively. I didn’t see anything to make the think otherwise. It was a contrast to hat they’ve been doing. On offense, Daboll was definitely out coached. Very little creativity and nothing to slow the rush. We will see in the playoffs, but I’d be stunned to see anything but well timed pressures and well disguised coverages. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I went into the game thinking if they play vanilla up front and don’t throw pressures at Brady, they’re thinking of the playoffs exclusively. I didn’t see anything to make the think otherwise. It was a contrast to hat they’ve been doing. On offense, Daboll was definitely out coached. Very little creativity and nothing to slow the rush. We will see in the playoffs, but I’d be stunned to see anything but well timed pressures and well disguised coverages. 

I think you are onto something.  Also Josh was able to show he can hit the long ball on tape which is going to be important.

Im sure they want to win but I also think they know the situation.  

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

It was really discouraging seeing the run defense get gashed for 6-8 yards on first down seemingly every single time.  I don’t think that was a matter of gameplanning, do you?

• Like (+1) 1

It's just not healthy how I feel about the Patriots.  A win would go a long way.

I feel like we're close to ending this excruciating period of Pats dominance, but I really thought it would be tonight.

Edited by Success

6 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Definitely. It mattered to EVERYBODY. 

there are stages of meaning to a team based on success and goals 

the Pats can walk away from this one without any large relief or celebration as they’ve achieved so much for 20 years, and know they are slipping

the Bills haven’t come close to shrugging off critical games yet, after 4 playoff years with Allen they might earn the right to do that

Just now, Success said:

It's just not healthy how I feel about the Patriots.

didn’t it feel good to be immersed in a game, especially the last drive?

Just now, mannc said:

It was really discouraging seeing the run defense get gashed for 6-8 yards on first down seemingly every single time.  I don’t think that was a matter of gameplanning, do you?

No, not specifically. There were some poor fundamentals out there today. A lot of poor angles, and it seemed like the D line was getting too far up the files but not making the stops. A few blitzes might actually have helped the run D. That was definitely discouraging, as it made things way too cozy for Brady. Constant 2nd , 3rd and shorts. The Bills offense, by contrast was almost always in 3rd and long. That affected a lot of Josh’s throws, as they teed off and were in his face. Daboll needs to throw more on 1st down, because the Bills run game isn’t that great on its own. 

44 minutes ago, Success said:

I dunno.  I'm at a point of psychosis - I'm seriously worried about my mental health. That team has dominated us in a way that  is one-sided to the extreme. I'm really grappling w/ it right now - trying to figure out different rationalizations, or things outside of my "sports fan" life that might make me feel better. 

I don't think any fan should have to go through this, though. I don't care how whiny it sounds.  I just want to beat that team.

I feel you.  I remember the Dolphins dominance against us in the ‘70s and ‘80s—that was pretty bad too—but I really loathe the Pats.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, biggerdaddynj said:

I feel you.  I remember the Dolphins dominance against us in the ‘70s and ‘80s—that was pretty bad too—but I really loathe the Pats.  

the Fish weren’t  much after the gut-punch Sea of Hands loss and still owned the Bills

Well, it’s annoying but I agree that in the grand scheme of things it really doesn’t matter. When you play the patriots you play them, whether or not they are cheating in some way, and the referees. That’s not sour grapes, just the facts. 

Just now, dubs said:

Well, it’s annoying but I agree that in the grand scheme of things it really doesn’t matter. When you play the patriots you play them, whether or not they are cheating in some way, and the referees. That’s not sour grapes, just the facts. 

the better team won at home today

that’s life

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The meaning of a win here would be that the Bills would show they can take that step, stand up to the Bully in Foxborough and Win on their ground.

In order to take a step and show that we're really ready to compete with anyone, we need to be able to beat the Pats on their home ground.

The good news is that Allen played far better this game overall.  He didn't turn the ball over; he didn't fumble; he didn't make stupid plays.

The bad news is that 1) our offense didn't make enough plays 2) our defense couldn't stop a freakin' Patriots nosebleed

“In order to take a step and show that we're really ready to compete with anyone, we need to be able to beat the Pats on their home ground“

Hmmm I don’t agree with this at all. At least not with the players.  Maybe this is in the case in the fan base.  They needed to feel that this team can compete.  But I think that this has zero effect on the players and they aren’t thinking like this.  

Do you really think that there would be any “carry over” from week to week?  Because I don’t.  They very easily could have won versus NE and then lost in the Wildcard round (and vice versa).  This game is an afterthought by then.

Houston beat New England and than got smoked by Denver a few weeks later and barely beat Tampa Bay today.  

Are we going to look back at week 16 and say “if they only would have won in New England....”. HELL NO.

Dont take my word for it - take a players words.  Does this sound like someone who feels his team can’t compete?

D9662B75-7E0A-4D44-BD46-55E0ABB5DBD9.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

So analysis and thinking are a waste of time for anyone with a stake in something, like dedicated fans?  Tell that to a coach who wants to retain his/her job or a voter that wants to make an educated decision.

Im saying fans are being overly dramatic about this game.  

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the better team won at home today

that’s life

Of course 

54 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Playcalling is the ultimate scapegoat for this team.  I think the bigger problem was the execution.  The Bills tackled poorly and got beat upfront on both sides of the ball.  How is this playcalling?

Also Josh Allen had an open Dawson Knox in the endzone.  He missed the throw.  How is that playcalling?

both the playcalling, and some execution were way off today.  The amount of arm tackling was ridiculous.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, mannc said:

Nope it was a matter of good film study by NE.  They replicated what Philly did with 21 personnel and had some success.  Also they won in the trenches.  No big deal - the Bills will get another shot at the playoffs and we’ll forget about this game soon enough 

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I wanted to the Bills to best the Patriots more than anyone, but after reading Twitter and some of the comments in here, I can’t help but feel that fans are overvaluing this loss to New England.  

It would have been fun to beat New England but in the grand scheme, the Patriots were never losing to Miami next week.  The Bills would be a 5 seed either way.  I think that some fans don’t understand that this wasn’t for the AFC East Championship

In two weeks when we play Houston or KC, what effect would a win versus NE really have?  Would a Bills victory over NE mean anything in the Wildcard round?  Absolutely not.   

Does the loss mean that they are any less likely not to pull off an upset?  Probably not

Most fans won’t even think about this game in two weeks and just like the players they’ll be “onto Houston” or wherever else.

I also don’t seem this loss as having any effect on players.  As great as the Bills fan base is, they are super reactionary, and many online are saying “this shows the Bills won’t ever win a playoff game.  One and done.”  WTF

Overall point here is either way, we would have been the 5th seed.  This loss means nothing other than showing that the Bills might be a few players away from challenging for a Super Bowl, but overall they are trending upward

Phil, I do see your perspective and I appreciate you being rational about the situation.  

For so many years we have been out of playoff contention by the second time we played NE, that I can see if those games didn't matter to the players.  In this case, I do think that this would have gone a long ways for their confidence.  Additionally, look at how we lost - couldn't stop the run, couldn't get to Brady - this has happened so many times that I'm sure they wonder if it will ever happen (beating the Patriots).  

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Winning or losing doesn't change anything for the Bills.  However, this game needed to be treated like a playoff game.  It wasn't by the players or coaches.

Since when is losing by 1 score and almost getting it at the end of the game IN NEW ENGLAND mean that the players and coaches weren't treating it like a playoff game. Honestly, are you ***** nuts? 

1 hour ago, Tesla03 said:

just think of it this way

the best bills team in 20+ years still couldn't beat the worst patriots team in 20 years. 

They have the best D in the league and are getting a bye in the playoffs. Several other years they have done worse. Check your *****

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I wanted to the Bills to best the Patriots more than anyone, but after reading Twitter and some of the comments in here, I can’t help but feel that fans are overvaluing this loss to New England.  

It would have been fun to beat New England but in the grand scheme, the Patriots were never losing to Miami next week.  The Bills would be a 5 seed either way.  I think that some fans don’t understand that this wasn’t for the AFC East Championship

In two weeks when we play Houston or KC, what effect would a win versus NE really have?  Would a Bills victory over NE mean anything in the Wildcard round?  Absolutely not.   

Does the loss mean that they are any less likely not to pull off an upset?  Probably not

Most fans won’t even think about this game in two weeks and just like the players they’ll be “onto Houston” or wherever else.

I also don’t seem this loss as having any effect on players.  As great as the Bills fan base is, they are super reactionary, and many online are saying “this shows the Bills won’t ever win a playoff game.  One and done.”  WTF

Overall point here is either way, we would have been the 5th seed.  This loss means nothing other than showing that the Bills might be a few players away from challenging for a Super Bowl, but overall they are trending upward

This. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

You are engaging in denial or bargaining.

This is the third of five stages in the grieving process.

Bills fans know this process well.