NFL Execs vote McDermott Coach Of The Year (Actual Recipient to be named in Feb)

Scott7975

https://wyrk.com/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-named-coach-of-the-year/?fbclid=IwAR3YfC0EfXKEVzI3me8Av1ExDFkPLJbQ5OqDG-W5-VtgFPPDexeemmGUjxo

The "NFL Honors" awards will be handed out on February 1st at the Adrienne Arsht Center in Miami and if it was up to NFL execs, the Bills head coach is getting one of the highest honors.

According to NFL.com, McDermott edged out Ravens coach John Harbaugh and 49ers head man Kyle Shanahan.

The Bills second playoff berth in three years since he's been head coach, the incredible defense, his 10-4 record didn't hurt, and the fact that he was winning with a young quarterback was a big help too.

NFL.com excerpt...

Coach of the Year: Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills

With a 10-4 record and a second playoff berth in three years secured, McDermott received seven votes to edge out Ravens coach John Harbaugh (5 1/2) and 49ers head man Kyle Shanahan (five). "They've played really good defensively," an NFC personnel director said of the Bills. "He's winning with a young quarterback -- they're kind of winning because of the quarterback, too. I just think they have an identity. The team knows who they are. Isn't that 90 percent of it?"

An NFC executive made the case for Harbaugh based in large part Jackson's success: "Just what they've done with that offense, totally changed their philosophy for one player, is pretty amazing. Just to have the nuts to do it. Most coaches wouldn't even draft the guy because he doesn't fit or he wasn't good on the board. Not only did they take him, but they changed everything so he would have the ability to have success. And it's paid off."

Shanahan's 49ers are tied atop the NFC West at 11-3. Mike Tomlin (3 1/2 votes) also has some strong supporters, with the Steelers staying in the hunt at 8-6 despite losing QB Ben Roethlisberger to a season-ending elbow injury in Week 2. Receiving one vote each: Green Bay's Matt LaFleur, Houston's Bill O'Brien and ... Miami's Brian Flores, who is 3-11 in the first season of a ground-up rebuild. "Winning any games with that roster deserves recognition," an AFC personnel director said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001089417/article/nfl-execs-pick-awards-whos-mvp-dpoy-coach-of-the-year

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

Congratulations to McD for sure. 

I have to also give a nod to Flores. I see a team heading the right direction there culturally. Give them all the picks and in 2-3 years, that might not be a team anyone wants to play. 

Edited by Sundancer

5 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Congratulations to McD for sure. 

I have to also give a nod to Flores. I see a team heading the right direction there culturally. Give them all the picks and in 2-3 years, that might not be a team anyone wants to play. 

I don't know.  If your owner is trying to tank for Tua, and your head coach figures out a way to win some games after your GM trades away your top talent, is that every going to win your owner's vote as a Coach of the Year?

All I heard Sunday was how Tomlin was the coach of the year and a few "Sean McDermott is doing a great job too".

I guess McD went into Pittsburgh and stole a win and Tomlin's award on the same night...just like a Renegade

Go Bills and congrats to Coach McDermott.

Edited by BisonMan
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The title to this thread is a bit misleading in my opinion.

It is true that in an informal inquiry, McDermott got the most votes. That doesn't mean he was actually named coach of the year or given any kind of award.

The actual vote for coach of the year won't be officially held or announced for a little while yet, and no decision has been made at this time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Was already a thread and debunked - this is not THE Coach if the Year award.

Still, nice to see McD recognized, but...

:beer:

In fact there are TWO other threads on this.  Search bar or just, ya know, scroll down before you post peeps...

Edited by Heitz

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

you’d rather fall for fake news have at it 

The post CLEARLY says IF it was up to executives and also it CLEARLY says awards will be handed out in Feb. Maybe the title could have been a lil different but nobody (at least me) isn't buying "fake"news as you say.

Talking about  this thread, not the one you reposted. First I've seen of that one.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

The post CLEARLY says IF it was up to executives and also it CLEARLY says awards will be handed out in Feb. Maybe the title could have been a lil different but nobody (at least me) isn't buying "fake"news as you say.

Talking about the this thread, not the one you reposted. First I've seen of that one.

and it s clearly the 3rd thread today on this topic. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bills GM Brandon Beane came in third with four votes. Baltimore's Eric DeCosta got two, while Pittsburgh's Kevin Colbert, Minnesota's Rick Spielman and Green Bay's Brian Gutekunst received one each.

Beane came in 3rd place for Executive of the year. 

John Lynch 49ers came in 1st

Schneider in Sea came in 2nd. 

Beane with 4 votes getting well deserved respect. Really shows u how highly execs think of our coaching and FO and we got something special brewing for real and it looks like we can be a legit contender on a regular basis !!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Congrats to McD, but why does the NFL have to do this right now?  What a distraction.  The guy is trying to prepare for the Pats* and now he's probably getting inundated with requests for interviews and crap like that - can't they just do this stuff when the year is completely over?  Damn.

2 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Congrats to McD, but why does the NFL have to do this right now?  What a distraction.  The guy is trying to prepare for the Pats* and now he's probably getting inundated with requests for interviews and crap like that - can't they just do this stuff when the year is completely over?  Damn.

Clearly Belicheck is behind it. 

2 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Lol, I take this as sarcasm....at least I hope

I wasn't trying to post fake news at all.  I didn't see the other threads.  I also posted the exact article in the thread from NFL.com.  I feel it is worthy of discussion.  Whether he wins it or not its obvious the respect he has around the league.  NFL execs opinions, imo, hold more weight than anything else.  Im not even sure who votes for it honestly?  Media people?  I dunno.  I posted because he is getting due credit from the people that matter.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, ChasBB said:

Sorry to disappoint - I meant it.  I want them to knock the snot out of the Pats* and don't want to see the team face a single distraction this week.

Ok, they aren't doing anything now. It's just what other NFL executives have said. The actual award gets handed out in Feb. Did you by chance read the post? Or just skimmed over it?

47 minutes ago, Logic said:

The title to this thread is a bit misleading in my opinion.

It is true that in an informal inquiry, McDermott got the most votes. That doesn't mean he was actually named coach of the year or given any kind of award.

The actual vote for coach of the year won't be officially held or announced for a little while yet, and no decision has been made at this time.

Yep, jumping the gun there a bit. 

11 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Ok, they aren't doing anything now. It's just what other NFL executives have said. The actual award gets handed out in Feb. Did you by chance read the post? Or just skimmed over it?

Skimmed it -  :)  

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Wow. Congrats to McDermott. It has been a pleasure watching him change the culture here. Just outstanding coaching and preparation

...certainly.......despite the TBD naysayer pundits.....no need to regurgitate....icing on the cake would be to have McBeane selected as NFL Exec Of The Year......EQUALLY deserving IMO....

More fake news. I can make up other 'credible news' too:

I'll be selling snow as a keepsake since Global Warming is just around the corner.

Former Judge Leticia Astacio has entered a 12 step program and apologizes for her behavior.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has changed her mind and now welcomes Amazon HQ to Queens.

The FBI and SEC find no wrong doing or malfeasance in the Rochester City School Board's 64.8 million dollar short fall.

Wow journalism is so easy!