Projected 2020 Salary Cap has been given to teams. Could be over 200, Bills should have 90+M to work with

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Wow there is going to be some can kicking or cutting going on for a lot of teams this offseason. 

specially Jags to have all that cap tied up into a team that is not that good. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

I like him as well, just didnt see the Ravens on the list is all

yeah they are not. That is why it might be a pipe dream for me they likely re-sign him. Ngakoue is a good consolation prize. 

also think we should re-sign Shaq 

Great news for resigning our guys we need to lock up. 

Can you imagine being a Falcon or Jaguar fan and being bad with little room for help from FA?

In the Falcons case I think a coaching change will do wonders for that team. 

Also am glad to see the Chiefs up there. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

yeah they are not. That is why it might be a pipe dream for me they likely re-sign him. Ngakoue is a good consolation prize. 

also think we should re-sign Shaq 

Agreed, use the money we save on cutting murphy to sign shaq

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I like Matthew Judon more if he doesn’t re-sign with Ravens 

Judon be a nice replacement for LorAx as a pass rusher. We'd have flip him or Milano to Will since both at Sam now.ideally though we can sign someone to.start at LB and keep LorAx for ST, leadership and depth at pass rushing to extend his career.

5 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Agreed, use the money we save on cutting murphy to sign shaq

Why cut Murphy? He's as important as Shaq in the rotation.

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Judon be a nice replacement for LorAx as a pass rusher. We'd have flip him or Milano to Will since both at Sam now.ideally though we can sign someone to.start at LB and keep LorAx for ST, leadership and depth at pass rushing to extend his career.

I really think Lorax Retires. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Alexander already on record as saying this is his final season. 

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Because he is overpaid for his production

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

From my perspective you can get what he gives you for WAY less money. It’s probably an “either/or” and I’d much rather have Shaq. You can either sign a premium guy at the position or draft a guy. There’s no reason to pay Trent Murphy $9M. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

From my perspective you can get what he gives you for WAY less money. It’s probably an “either/or” and I’d much rather have Shaq. You can either sign a premium guy at the position or draft a guy. There’s no reason to pay Trent Murphy $9M. 

Then see if he'll redo his contact but no need to cut him outright.

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

You save $7.2M in cap space by cutting him. They structured his contract this way so that they could get out of it. This is standard in the NFL. It’s the same thing with Kroft. You sign some guys with injury history and give yourself an out if they don’t produce commensurate with their salary. You don’t pay a guy $9M for the production of a $2M player. Hand the savings to Shaq and either upgrade Murphy with a big time signing or replace his production with a mid-round pick. 

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Also no need to hurry. Find an upgrade, THEN we can part ways with him. 

Yes, of course

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Ngakoue anyone?

Another option from Jax is Calais Campbell.    The Jags can save $12.5M by cutting him.  He's a giant who can play LDE or DT at a high level.  Getting older so a short term fix with a lot less commitment.   Very high character, good locker room guy.    I like having a guy like that in front of and mentoring Darryl Johnson who should become a very important player in the Bills rotation with a good offseason.    

The Jags will definitely cut Dareus which will be an enormous savings as well.   Their cap woes are pretty fixable with a couple moves they could get the very young Ngakoue back long term.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

That’s what I was thinking. He was top3, like 3-4 years ago. Not a fan of investing monster money in a guy who should be retired before the contract ends. But he’s a “name” 

TW has another year left on his deal anyway.  Not sure I’d want to give up a good pick on top of a big, new contract.  Washington was ridiculous in their demands for him last season. They never came back to reality during negotiations with teams either.  No thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

If he'll redo his contract to half of what it is now, then maybe I'd consider keeping Trent Murphy around.  Otherwise, he is easily replaceable.

51 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Yes, I remember the Whaley era well. ?

Fake news on both fronts.

1) The Bills were never up against the cap under Whaley.    Not even close.    McBeane just wanted to re-tool and it sounded like a good excuse to sell to a fanbase who wanted to hear things like that to make themselves feel better about yet more change.   But they were always scheduled to be cap rich from 2018-2020 whether Whaley stayed or went.   

2)  The Bills and hadn't lost 10 games in a season since 2010.........until McBeane arrived.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You save $7.2M in cap space by cutting him. They structured his contract this way so that they could get out of it. This is standard in the NFL. It’s the same thing with Kroft. You sign some guys with injury history and give yourself an out if they don’t produce commensurate with their salary. You don’t pay a guy $9M for the production of a $2M player. Hand the savings to Shaq and either upgrade Murphy with a big time signing or replace his production with a mid-round pick. 

Totally agree and very well stated. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) The Bills were never up against the cap under Whaley.    Not even close.    McBeane just wanted to re-tool and it sounded like a good excuse to sell to a fanbase who wanted to hear things like that to make themselves feel better about yet more change.   But they were always scheduled to be cap rich from 2018-2020 whether Whaley stayed or went.   

2)  The Bills and hadn't lost 10 games in a season since 2010.........until McBeane arrived.

Here we go. Simple google search tells a different story. While there are a bunch of things you can do to free up money, some of their decisions were certainly dubious. And there are several more articles out there that speak to mismanagement and bad contracts (*ahem* Charles Clay albatross *ahem*). 

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2016/01/22/bills-gm-whaley-recognizes-difficult-cap-situation/79162088/

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2016/02/cordy_glenn_contract_offer_doug_whaley_buffalo_bills.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-coach-criticizes-past-regime-irresponsible-moves-172305978--nfl.html

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/31007/brandon-beane-puts-bills-in-better-position-under-salary-cap-in-2018

Edited by TheProcess

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

But Josh Allen and Singletary are being under paid. You can also say the same for Josh Brown.

Not relevant.  Each player needs to be able to contribute greater than their remaining contract.  Otherwise, the team can do better by going in another direction.  All teams have players on rookie deals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is an unpopular opinion but true. Beane did a good job of re-tooling with the guys that he wanted and bit the bullet to do it. They were never in cap trouble though. They were totally fine. He thought that the money was better spent elsewhere. That’s different than “they were in cap jail and were forced to release guys.”