Spitballing a Tre White contract extension

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, frogger said:

I agree with everyone’s take, he should be a Bill for the foreseeable future.

however...these are the people (or at the very a part) who let josh Norman leave, hindsight says it was a good decision, but at the time it seemed like he was the best CB.

how much do they value CB?  They have addressed it with mid round picks, other team’s castaways and an udfa, outside of White.

But, he is special and we need to, maybe not this offseason though.  Sign Phillips, ext Poyer and get more talent in FA.

I don’t know think the situations are similar. First, we don’t know how much either McD or Beane had to do with the decisions around Norman  as neither were in decision making roles. Secondly, Norman was a 6th rd pick from a small school who emerged as a good player, but was more of a late bloomer. And they didn’t just decide to let him walk, they tagged him and then he had a fit because he’s a head case and they pulled the tag eventually, and he was never the same player. The players and and the situations are pretty different. 

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know think the situations are similar. First, we don’t know how much either McD or Beane had to do with the decisions around Norman  as neither were in decision making roles. Secondly, Norman was a 6th rd pick from a small school who emerged as a good player, but was more of a late bloomer. And they didn’t just decide to let him walk, they tagged him and then he had a fit because he’s a head case and they pulled the tag eventually, and he was never the same player. The players and and the situations are pretty different. 

Plus, Josh Norman is quite an odd character in general to say the least. He and Tre's attitudes are not similar in any way either. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s kind of what the Eagles did with Wentz

Yup. There have been a few teams trying to get their most expensive players under extensions before the new CBA hits and the cap takes a big jump up.  Both the CBA and White’s rookie deal expire after the 2020 season.  White’s option year is 2021.  Normally I would think that a long term deal would get done after 2020, but there’s a chance that an extension gets done early due to that situation.  White would get a very large chunk of cash sooner than usual and the Bills would save a few bucks overall.  It’d be a good deal for both sides and could happen as early March 2020 when White’s third season is officially complete, though a deal could be agreed to prior to that. 

If Bills wait until after the Ramsey Extension they are going to pay.

I am expecting if they can get it done before the Ramsey Deal it likely will be in the 

14-15M range if they do it this offseason.  If they wait until after Ramsey or longer in his contract is likely will be closer to 18M-20M AVV.

Now the question is with 3 more years of contract: Next Year, 5th year Option, Franchise Tag 

will bill approach?  I am thinking they wait until after next year (picking up 5th year option this offseason)

SPOTRAC lists his market value at 14.1M.  If I open the bidding now, I start at 5-year 65M, with 35M guaranteed, probably have to pay 75M with 40M guaranteed.  In another year, if Tre is still healthy, you'll have to start at 5-year 75M, with 40M guaranteed, and end up at 85M with 45M guaranteed.  The Bills should lock him up ASAP, it will save them money.  Also, forgot about the CBA.  Get the deal done now before the new CBA kicks in.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

15 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

Whatever the highest paid corner contract is when he gets to his contract year he’s gonna break it. 

This.  He and Lattimore will be battling for that highest paid corner spot.  I bet Tre gets it, just like Winfield, Clements and Gilmore before him

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Sure hope not.  I believe we’ll pay that man.  If anyone ever deserved it, it’s Tre.  Special player. Special person

Yep. I don't think there is any way they let him go. He also doesn't appear to be the greedy sort, and seems to love it in Buffalo. They will sign him and take care of him very well. He's every bit a McDermott guy, and even more so as a DB.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ganesh said:

White won't be paid next year. They will simply pick up his 5th year option.  They first have to pay Poyer, Phillips and Dawkins at first level and Lawson at 2nd level.  

Why would they pay Dawkins "at first level"?  He's not that good.

14 hours ago, Estro said:

Right now the top of the CB market is $15.05M per year.......so that's where negotiations will begin.  If you get him under contract soon you're looking at 15.5ish M per......if you wait another year, it'll probably be in the $16-17 M per range as more contracts get done.

but you benefit from a year in his prime at $1.8m in cash paid. So it’s all a trade off. 

its not like the bills and his agent aren’t looking at his overall career worth based on when it slots up though. 

19 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I will guess 5 years and $80M with $50 gtd.

SB of $30M

First-year gtd salary of $5M

2nd year gtd salary of $10M

Gtd roster bonus of $5M in year 3

I bet it gets done post 2020 season.

tagged on the end of this deal, or replacing his final year?

16 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

they likely value Tre much more than any of those guys. Giving him a well earned extension and bypassing the 5th year option is likely in thest interest for everyone. 

I'll believe that the Bills value Tre White enough to pay him the going rate for a top DB when they actually pay him.  They've never paid one of the great/good DBs they've developed market value in two decades, most notably when they let Antoine Winfield walk away about fifteen years ago and most recently when they let All Pro Stephon Gilmore walk.   What they do about White will tell us whether the Beane/McDermott regime is truly different from their predecessors or if it's the same old/same old.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

but you benefit from a year in his prime at $1.8m in cash paid. So it’s all a trade off. 

its not like the bills and his agent aren’t looking at his overall career worth based on when it slots up though. 

tagged on the end of this deal, or replacing his final year?

It makes sense to me to replace his option year 

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

I'll believe that the Bills value Tre White enough to pay him the going rate for a top DB when they actually pay him.  They've never paid one of the great/good DBs they've developed market value in two decades, most notably when they let Antoine Winfield walk away about fifteen years ago and most recently when they let All Pro Stephon Gilmore walk.   What they do about White will tell us whether the Beane/McDermott regime is truly different from their predecessors or if it's the same old/same old.

They gave Terrence McGee a big contract--more than what NO gave Jabari Greer, who got CB1 money at the time.

28 minutes ago, SoTier said:

There is no same ol, same ol, regardless of what they do. There is no connection whatsoever, zero, 0.00%, between the previous ownership and 100% different decision makers (unless you want to count Overdorf) making those choices. No trend. No learn from history. No we always do this. You, and other people that make the connection are the only connection whatsoever. They are 100% mutually exclusive.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ganesh said:

White won't be paid next year. They will simply pick up his 5th year option.  They first have to pay Poyer, Phillips and Dawkins at first level and Lawson at 2nd level.  

Add Milano to your list for 2021 extensions.

Phillips and Lawson will be handled this offseason well before a White extension or option is discussed.

But all that said, White should be the first in line to get re-signed. Mr Beane needs to pay him sooner rather than later. Otherwise, it's the "Same Ol Bills" FO, pissing off their homegrown players and alienating our guys. With ~$91M in cap space next year, they can get Tre (and everyone else) paid now.

I've heard talk that the FO plans on letting Poyer walk and they're planning on Jaquan Johnson developing into that role.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There is no same ol, same ol, regardless of what they do. There is no connection whatsoever, zero, 0.00%, between the previous ownership and 100% different decision makers (unless you want to count Overdorf) making those choices. No trend. No learn from history. No we always do this. You, and other people that make the connection are the only connection whatsoever. They are 100% mutually exclusive.

There hasnt been any connection, but if they screw up their first major negotiation with a Bills-drafted player (who happens to be CB), then it will be a tough look to shake. Trying to take the cheap route and stick him with an option and no extension until his contract is fully expired would certainly be "same ol Bills".

38 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It makes sense to me to replace his option year 

They gave Terrence McGee a big contract--more than what NO gave Jabari Greer, who got CB1 money at the time.

Whaley also extended McKelvin and Aaron Williams.

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Take your own advice and learn from history.  Russ Brandon rose to the top in the Bills organization because his views reflected those of the owner, Ralph Wilson.   Since Pegula not only kept Brandon on but promoted him to run both the Bills and Sabres, it's reasonable to believe that Pegula was good with Brandon's philosophy on running the team.  Since both McDermott and Beane were hired when Brandon was in charge, there's no reason to think that they don't share Brandon's philosophy about paying players -- especially DBs -- until they prove otherwise.   White will be their first test since none of the other players in the 2017 draft class will command top dollar for their positions

Edited by SoTier

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Take your own advice and learn from history.  Russ Brandon rose to the top in the Bills organization because his views reflected those of the owner, Ralph Wilson.   Since Pegula not only kept Brandon on but promoted him to run both the Bills and Sabres, it's reasonable to believe that Pegula was good with Brandon's philosophy on running the team.  Since both McDermott and Beane were hired when Brandon was in charge, there's no reason to think that they don't share Brandon's philosophy about paying players -- especially DBs -- until they prove otherwise.   White will be their first test since none of the other players in the 2017 draft class will command top dollar for their positions

By getting rid of VIRTUALLY EVERYONE FROM THE PREVIOUS REGIME outside of Hughes, Lawson and maybe Lorax), they have already proven that there is zero connection.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

By getting rid of VIRTUALLY EVERYONE FROM THE PREVIOUS REGIME outside of Hughes, Lawson and maybe Lorax), they have already proven that there is zero connection.

You're being way too literal here. Doesnt matter whether or not there is any physical/human connection to the old regimes. EVEN WORSE then, if the new FO makes the same mistakes as the past. McD already said they didnt make any trades to avoid the same mistakes of the past. So HE knows there could be a connection based on decision making.

15 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And yet he is only making 1-2 m now. If you rip up next year and give him 15 you are losing 12-13m which is the difference over five years from 15 to 16-17. The fifth year option will be less than 15. It's  tricky business and I agree to lock him up early, but it's likely not saving much money and you actually may have him a year or two less under contract. 

They probably sign him to an "extension" next summer.  He will get his 4th year rookie salary along with a signing bonus to be split over the life

of the extension and next year.  It's the smart way to lessen the yearly dead money.

I give about a zero chance of a 5th year option deal.  he is the "process" and the team knows it.

19 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

They probably sign him to an "extension" next summer.  He will get his 4th year rookie salary along with a signing bonus to be split over the life

of the extension and next year.  It's the smart way to lessen the yearly dead money.

I give about a zero chance of a 5th year option deal.  he is the "process" and the team knows it.

They will likely pick up his 5th year option and then work out a long term extension...dude has earned every penny and the some...great player, great teammate, gets the crowd going with his dance moves and fans love him to death...

Can't say I love the Bills passing on Mahomes(my Mahomie...Ma Homes and Auto, lmao at the State Farm Commercials), but at least we got a top 5 player in the NFL at one of the most important positions outside QB...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They will likely pick up his 5th year option and then work out a long term extension...dude has earned every penny and the some...great player, great teammate, gets the crowd going with his dance moves and fans love him to death...

Can't say I love the Bills passing on Mahomes(my Mahomie...Ma Homes and Auto, lmao at the State Farm Commercials), but at least we got a top 5 player in the NFL at one of the most important positions outside QB...

I should have been more specific.  Yes they will pick up the 5th year option but will do the deal before it goes into effect.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You're being way too literal here. Doesnt matter whether or not there is any physical/human connection to the old regimes. EVEN WORSE then, if the new FO makes the same mistakes as the past. McD already said they didnt make any trades to avoid the same mistakes of the past. So HE knows there could be a connection based on decision making.

I think he was referring to himself and Beane, as in Kelvin Benjamin, and maybe Jordan Matthews, not previous administrations. There is only a perceived connection from fans and media. It is not an actual thing. There is ZERO chance that Beane and McDermott have ever considered the fact that the Bills once didn't pay Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements. It's quite possible they have discussed what happened with Stephon Gilmore because it included a McDermott decision.