TNF: Colts at Texans

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, jeffalb3 said:

I think they called fumble, but looks like watson recovered it. 

No, they didn't call fumble, they called him down. Thus, they didn't establish recovery at all. The Ref completely missed the fumble entirely. 

I do like Watson. Good guy, great player.

Edited by whatdrought

3 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Or we would get the Pats?

Depends on who the 3rd seed is. I just assume that the South winner will be the 4th seed, so if we're 5th, we play them by default. It's all conjecture at this point though. 

But as a rule, the lowest seeded team available plays the highest so for WC its 3v6 and 4v5. 

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm hoping KC and NE are 2 and 3 so NE has to beat KC and BAL if they are going to the Superbowl

NE not getting the bye would be huge for everyone not wanting them to be in the superbowl (so everyone minus some #######s that live in Massachusetts).  

Edited by whatdrought
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

No, they didn't call fumble, they called him down. Thus, they didn't establish recovery at all. The Ref completely missed the fumble entirely. 

I do like Watson. Good guy, great player.

NFL officiating confirmed it was a fumble recovered by Watson. 

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

What a farce. Colts shouldn't have needed it anyways, but when your All-Pro, best defensive player makes a game saving play, you damn well better get another chance to win- not have it stolen by the ***** that tumbled out of Al Riveron's #######. 

It was a clear fumble. There was no way to tell that Leonard actually recovered the ball. Looked to me like dual possession at best, which goes to offensive player.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I didn't realize they called it a fumble.

Who came out of the pile with the ball? 

By replay it looks like Watson may have hung on to it at the end of the play. I thought I saw a ref signal Texans ball at end to but not sure. 

9 minutes ago, jeffalb3 said:

By replay it looks like Watson may have hung on to it at the end of the play. I thought I saw a ref signal Texans ball at end to but not sure. 

The side judge ran in waving that he was down. I thought that’s why they didn’t review. 

Edited by whatdrought

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Brissett is decent but he's hit his ceiling and it isn't winning the Colts a championship. If they're smart they won't waste another season on him.

Draft someone in the mid rounds and work on developing him while Brissett gets another season to see if he’s the guy. 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

NE not getting the bye would be huge for everyone not wanting them to be in the superbowl (so everyone minus some #######s that live in Massachusetts).  

Highly unlikely as the leader of the AFC South and West have four losses.  Pats would have to lose at least three of their next six and Chiefs/Texans would need to go undefeated.  They benefited from the same easy schedule we did unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, eball said:

That loss really puts Indy behind the 8-ball. Houston’s schedule (after the Pats*** next week) is soft. Meanwhile, the Bills will be two games clear of the #7 seed if they win Sunday. 

To add to that, while any given Sunday is true, I think that is especially true in the AFC South and wouldn't be completely surprised for the division winner to be 9-7 or 10-6.

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I would have punted on 4-7 but Colts defense couldn't stop them so probably was the right call to go for it. Should have thrown a little more on their last drive, very rarely can you run the ball all the way down the field.

They did a couple times and Reich's plan was to score a game tying FG or winning TD with little time left relying on that o-line.  I thought it was the right move going for it given where they were on the field (they could still force a punt by the Texans if they missed it), having three time outs left, and having only a little over 3:30 left in the game.

I think the Colts have the slightly better team but an inferior qb which ended up being the difference in the game.  Also, Hopkins outperformed Hilton.  If Luck doesn't retire this team would be competing for the Pats and Ravens right now for that top spot.  Their o-line is impressive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They did a couple times and Reich's plan was to score a game tying FG or winning TD with little time left relying on that o-line.  I thought it was the right move going for it given where they were on the field (they could still force a punt by the Texans if they missed it), having three time outs left, and having only a little over 3:30 left in the game.

I think the Colts have the slightly better team but an inferior qb which ended up being the difference in the game.  Also, Hopkins outperformed Hilton.  If Luck doesn't retire this team would be competing for the Pats and Ravens right now for that top spot.  Their o-line is impressive.

Yeah luck really screwed them, and they wont be low enough to draft a good QB. Makes ya wonder what Kelly did to get the boot.

34 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yeah luck really screwed them, and they wont be low enough to draft a good QB. Makes ya wonder what Kelly did to get the boot.

Chad Kelly is on the Colts 53 man roster and was called up from the practice squad when Brissett got hurt.  He was inactive tonight.  Obviously they don't think he's an upgrade over Brissett or Hoyer.

Friday morning reflections watching TNF....

- Usually with SNF, MNF and TNF I download the condensed version and then have a relatively relaxed commute (40 minutes is the absolute perfect length for my commute). I did not find that game at all relaxing. The result of that mattered for the Bills. Win Sunday and there is no way we can lose a 2 team tiebreak to the Colts. The Bills are a step closer to the playoffs this morning.

- Watching the Texans and Colts play always strikes me as the ultimate "Talent vs Coaching" match up. I think the Colts have a better GM, they are better coached, they are built more sustainably and they play with better fundamentals. But the Texans just have more talent. And ultimately it was that talent advantage - especially Quarterback and receiver - that was the difference in this game. Isn't always that way when they meet. The Colts have got them the last twice, but these matchups are fascinating for that reason.

- Boy do the Texans miss Jadeveon Clowney. I lost count of the number of times Williams or Hines found an edge in the defense. Part of the Texans success against the run last year (3rd in the NFL) was that Clowney set the edge and funnelled rushers into the big bodies of DJ Reader and co in the middle.

- The way to beat the Colts is to make Brissett beat you. He is a really good game manager but when he has to make that throw to break the game open he normally falls short.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

- Usually with SNF, MNF and TNF I download the condensed version and then have a relatively relaxed commute (40 minutes is the absolute perfect length for my commute). I did not find that game at all relaxing. The result of that mattered for the Bills. Win Sunday and there is no way we can lose a 2 team tiebreak to the Colts. The Bills are a step closer to the playoffs this morning.

- Watching the Texans and Colts play always strikes me as the ultimate "Talent vs Coaching" match up. I think the Colts have a better GM, they are better coached, they are built more sustainably and they play with better fundamentals. But the Texans just have more talent. And ultimately it was that talent advantage - especially Quarterback and receiver - that was the difference in this game. Isn't always that way when they meet. The Colts have got them the last twice, but these matchups are fascinating for that reason.

- Boy do the Texans miss Jadeveon Clowney. I lost count of the number of times Williams or Hines found an edge in the defense. Part of the Texans success against the run last year (3rd in the NFL) was that Clowney set the edge and funnelled rushers into the big bodies of DJ Reader and co in the middle.

- The way to beat the Colts is to make Brissett beat you. He is a really good game manager but when he has to make that throw to break the game open he normally falls short.

I agree.  Chris Ballard has done a great job as GM.  Good enough that the Colts would be competing with the Pats for the best record in the AFC right now if Luck didn't retire.  I think the Colts will move on from Brissett after this year and I have a feeling Andrew Luck may flirt with coming back.  Even Cam Newton or Andy Dalton could thrive behind that line.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Good summary.  I was glad to see Indy lose as well (from a Bills perspective) but it's tough not to root for them/Frank.  I think ass-chin and the Texans will get bounced in their first playoff game.